Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on the new charter?

Options
  • 07-01-2007 11:16am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let me know if this is a neater way than before (with all the stickies).
    Are the rules fair? Am I missing something?

Motors Charter - Read before going further

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The 10th point seems to be an un-finished sentence.

I'm really going to miss the fog light threads, at least we still have the "roundabouts" and "overtaking lane hogs" threads to cling to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

It's much easier to read than before. Maybe if
    * Repeated occurrances of “that’s crap” or “you muppet” etc, will result in a warning and then a good hard banning

wasn't so open to interpretation it would stop any future bannees complaining about unfair judgememnt as can sometimes happen, but that's only small and mightn't even occur.

Fair play kbannon

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cheers - a few alterations done to fix them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You forgot to state the answer to "should I buy an Alfa" is 'YES, if' and not "No, unless"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I like the disclaimer about how this is a public forum and posters may have no idea what they're talking about. It might be an idea to elaborate on this. Eg make it clear that opinions offered here may not be informed or objective and that there may be vested interests in the forum.

Also maybe you could put in a line requesting posters to at least make an attempt to back up what they're saying. If someone wants to bash a certain make of car, it would be a lot less irritating if they could provide specifics about why that make of car is so bad. And if someone is posting on driving rules or a mechanical issue they should try to get their facts straight and have some clue what they're talking about etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just one minor additional suggestion:

It might be a good idea to include a pointer towards the old stickies / faq's in the title. eg "Motors Forum Charter and FAQ's - pls read before posting"

Personally I tend NOT to read anything called "charter" :D:D:D , FAQ's on the other hand is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a good point!

Mike.

Mike wants his stckies back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks good KB.. only suggestion I'd have would to be include a blank line between each point so as to make it a bit easier to read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Can we have a rule to stop the Alfa bashing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Nice charter, it's good and makes things more clear plus it clears out some of the old stickies, which are not gone but mega-merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Much easier on the eye to just have one sticky instead of having 4 or 5 and having to scroll have way down the page to get ot the posts.

what that part mean about not resurecting old posts, if that were true alot of people would be in trouble who posted on the ''Here's what i seen today thread''

Also what does ''No flaming mean?

Nice Job KB, Much more user friendly now

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Looks good alright, but I disagree with the "no more threads about foglights" bit. I understand the need to not mention certain mad clocking merchants/scumbag car dealers for litigation's sake, but to prevent talk on things that are plainly popular gripes with many people... just seems too strict. Cencorship, really.

Sounds like we can moan about any sort of idiotic behaviour on the road except foglight merchants, and the question is "why" ?

Eg. also, it pi$$es me off reading about people dissing the Gardai/PSNI/etc, trying to get off speeding tickets, nordie drivers (like myself, I might add) causing all of the mayhem on the M50 and M1; but I wouldn't call for such talk to be censored. Things are normally dealt with within such threads, as per a normal discussion anyway.

Ah... whatever. Me kettle's boiled :D

Volvoboy wrote:
    what that part mean about not resurecting old posts, if that were true alot of people would be in trouble who posted on the ''Here's what i seen today thread''
    No it means digging up a thread that hasn't been posted to in quite a while. A few days ago someone opened up a thread that started and ended in 2002!!!
    The HWIST thread has been running solidly since it started 73 years ago.
    Volvoboy wrote:
    Also what does ''No flaming mean?
    flaming

@frankism - good points
    @testicle - whats wrong with Alfa bashing? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

OHH! Hadnt got a clue what flaming ment, was getting my lighter out for nothing.
    ya learn somthing new everyday!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good call, kbannon!

One big sticky is the perfect solution. Finally we are able to see new threads, not old stickies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

franksm wrote:
    Looks good alright, but I disagree with the "no more threads about foglights" bit. I understand the need to not mention certain mad clocking merchants/scumbag car dealers for litigation's sake, but to prevent talk on things that are plainly popular gripes with many people... just seems too strict. Cencorship, really.

Sounds like we can moan about any sort of idiotic behaviour on the road except foglight merchants, and the question is "why" ?

Eg. also, it pi$$es me off reading about people dissing the Gardai/PSNI/etc, trying to get off speeding tickets, nordie drivers (like myself, I might add) causing all of the mayhem on the M50 and M1; but I wouldn't call for such talk to be censored. Things are normally dealt with within such threads, as per a normal discussion anyway.

Ah... whatever. Me kettle's boiled :D
    Haha yeah, I often nearly have a rant in those threads myself but then luckily apathy usually takes over just in time :)

Also, about the point of bringing up old threads, the key is why they are brought up again. It's a good thing if a thread is added to because there is new and relevant information. A follow up to a car problem thread for example is always good to read.

Anyway, good one on the tidy up. Oh and keep the forum the way it is (no subforums) - not enough posts to justify and the slow server and the eclectic mix being good too as others have said.

Ah... whatever. Me cigarette's lit :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looks good to me, hopefully other mod's will follow suit, nothing worse than >4 stickies IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Great job KB.

I would add the "help me get out of my speeding fine/penalty points" type threads to the list of threads not to be posted. The one thread I've seen in my few months on boards where the OP was actually right doesn't justify the many who were just trying to weasle out of it. Besides, they are actually more appropriate to the Legal forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Thank Jeebus all of those stickies are gone

• Advertisement

charter looks good. Would have liked some mention of the crap that usually goes on when someone posts a thread about Fiats or Alfas.

Within 5 minutes somone posts their uneducated Fix it again Tomorrow thing. No I don't own a Fiat but Its really annoying!

Advertisement