Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

U2 Appreciation Thread:

• 07-01-2007 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I'm a huge U2 fan and often get caught up in their wonder.. Anyone care to join me, on an ongoing basis, in their praise & adoration?
    :D
    I'm listening to "October" at the moment... such a great moving lasting album.
    Often words just aren't meaningful enough. :p

xxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Just listening to Achtung Baby at the minute. Awesome lyrics on this album. The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby are four albums of unparallelled consistency. War and Pop are good too. Don't like their last 2 albums though. Lyrics are too cheesy or something and music is kinda boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

POP was the first album i loved. It was so cool, really strong and had some great tunes. It has always been my favourite U2 album and i think i am especially supportive of it because so many people criticise it. I cant understand why. The Popmart tour was unbelievable as well. Unfortunately i didn't see them on that tour but i have seen them on the last two world tours.
    I think they are a great band but i hope they dont end up being a parody of themselves. I thought ATYCLB was a very good album but didn't push it enough. HTDAAB was just a poor album. I hope the next one offers us something different.
    U2 should go back to the level of chalenge they had with Zooropa and Pop. Otherwise they will stagnate and i'd hate to see it happen.

Best album: Achtung Baby (Pop is my fav)
    Best Song: Stay, Faraway so Close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Again, I'm a massive U2 fan. Unfashionably, I loved their last 2 albums and listen to them constantly. But, obviously, their earlier stuff is untouchable. Long live the legends.

POP was the first album i loved. It was so cool, really strong and had some great tunes. It has always been my favourite U2 album and i think i am especially supportive of it because so many people criticise it. I cant understand why. The Popmart tour was unbelievable as well. Unfortunately i didn't see them on that tour but i have seen them on the last two world tours.
    I think they are a great band but i hope they dont end up being a parody of themselves. I thought ATYCLB was a very good album but didn't push it enough. HTDAAB was just a poor album. I hope the next one offers us something different.
    U2 should go back to the level of chalenge they had with Zooropa and Pop. Otherwise they will stagnate and i'd hate to see it happen.

Best album: Achtung Baby (Pop is my fav)
    Best Song: Stay, Faraway so Close.

Yeah I got into them with Pop when I was bout 12. The first band I really got into. Mofo was the song that did it, a rockin' tune. It was only a few years later, round the time of ATYCLB that I started hearing people hated Pop. Never knew why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And here I thought the OP was just ripping the piss!!!

Awful musicians, the Edge is just a hideous guitar player, Bono...well, nothing else needs to be said really. Mullins just isnt a good drummer and as for the bassist, well I've nothing against him really, dont listen to them sure. I used to like them, have that album with Stuck in a Moment on it, thought they'd be the first big band that I'd like...but that never happened. Cant really say Im missing out on anything

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote:
    And here I thought the OP was just ripping the piss!!!

Awful musicians, the Edge is just a hideous guitar player, Bono...well, nothing else needs to be said really. Mullins just isnt a good drummer and as for the bassist, well I've nothing against him really, dont listen to them sure. I used to like them, have that album with Stuck in a Moment on it, thought they'd be the first big band that I'd like...but that never happened. Cant really say Im missing out on anything

U2 are more than a sum of the parts. You concentrate too much on the individual musicianship and not enough on the songwriting, which is what U2 are all about. Listen to Achtung Baby for the best examples. Also, I think Edge is a great guitar player, he can come up with some amazing riffs and melodies using a few notes. How do you define his guitar playing as hideous? What aspect of it? Does he make lots of mistakes, play the wrong rhythm or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Just listening to Achtung Baby at the minute. Awesome lyrics on this album. The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby are four albums of unparallelled consistency. War and Pop are good too. Don't like their last 2 albums though. Lyrics are too cheesy or something and music is kinda boring.

I like all of the earlier stuff so far.. I always thought, when i was younger, that they were over-hyped but for the last 2 years I've become more and more their biggest fan (though I'm sure there are millions).. Yep I love Achtung Baby * the Joshua and all their earlier albums.. Only just bought October though recently and I absolutely love it.. So enthusiatic and full of energy.. I think "Tomorrow" and "October" are my favourite songs on the album at the moment! Just genius!

I have their autobio but haven't read it yet..does anyone know why bono doesn't drink? Or did I imagine i heard that? I don't drink or smoke & often get asked why.. its such a mystery to people, esp in Ireland anyway, as to why one does not drink. "Jaysus, are you a dipso? Sure only the mad don't drink" sorta thing!
    *rolls eyes to heaven* Yes quite! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Yeah I got into them with Pop when I was bout 12. The first band I really got into. Mofo was the song that did it, a rockin' tune. It was only a few years later, round the time of ATYCLB that I started hearing people hated Pop. Never knew why?

I didn't like POP years ago either.. I was into Indie and Alternative & just thought POP was a sell out (at the time). I haven't bought it yet, but I'm pretty certain I was wrong! lol!

Yeah I think U2 have to be taken as a whole. They have something that so many people can relate to ... and I for one can listen to them forever without getting sick of them... or as opposed to some bands, Damien Rice in my opinion say for example, can be overplayed.. Nice to hear a few times but they just don't last "repeat playing".. U2 can keep up with any mood I'm in and always seem to entertain me...
    I love Bono too.. but I'm a girl so I'm allowed to... mmmmmm... bono...
    Like beer to homo simpson! lol! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

U2 are more than a sum of the parts. You concentrate too much on the individual musicianship and not enough on the songwriting, which is what U2 are all about. Listen to Achtung Baby for the best examples. Also, I think Edge is a great guitar player, he can come up with some amazing riffs and melodies using a few notes. How do you define his guitar playing as hideous? What aspect of it? Does he make lots of mistakes, play the wrong rhythm or what?
    I'll go out on a limb and say "you've never played guitar before, have you?" Edge doesn't rate as any kind of player unless you think turning on and off some effects boards talented. Bill Bailey does this in a sketch, he's playing a pure "Edge" type of riff and 1 by 1 turns off his fx pedals until he's left playing twinkle twinkle little star.

U2 as song writers aren't half bad I think, they write very good pop music (as opposed to pop music industry music!), but have definitely thrown in their creative towels. Listen to the last couple of offerings and tell me how you can possibly think they can stand next to Pop, Zooropa, Achtung Baby in a natural progression? Those 3 for me were massive leaps forward for both themselves and mainstream music. They were getting very fruity in placed, but now, they're just making a few more pound before they retire into the world of re-union tours. There's no forward progression with the last few things, just big jumps backwards and in fairness to the, they deserve their rest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Have to agree with Khan, apologies to OP, but U2 have become a parody of themself.
    Really their last few albums (last 12 years) they have been treading water and letting the bucks roll in.
    Bono's diplomatic stunts are becoming tiresome as well, actually I wish they would just take a bow and leave the stage before they sink any lower.
    Sad really cos some of their early stuff was great and progressive, I just think they are fooling themselves and their fans now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

U2 remind me of Metallica in many ways. Their early stuff is brilliant but their recent albums haven't been anywhere near as good. Songs like Pride, Where The Streets Have No Name and With Or Without You all sound as good to me as they did when I heard them first years ago. They also put on an excellent live show. Well they did in 2001, I don't know if they still do :)

Regarding The Edge's guitar playing, I can see where Kharn's coming from but I wouldn't completely agree. In my opinion he's a very distinctive guitar player. He mightn't be a speed demon or whatever but he has got a style that's all his own. He writes recognisable riffs (whether they are any good is up to the listener). You could hear something and recognise it as his even if you didn't recognise the song. I did this recently with that awful collaboration U2 did with Green Day. I didn't know the song but the guitar playing seemed very familiar.

Also the Bill Bailey sketch is here for anyone that's interested. It's very funny!

Kharn wrote:
    I'll go out on a limb and say "you've never played guitar before, have you?" Edge doesn't rate as any kind of player unless you think turning on and off some effects boards talented. Bill Bailey does this in a sketch, he's playing a pure "Edge" type of riff and 1 by 1 turns off his fx pedals until he's left playing twinkle twinkle little star.

Actually I've been playing three years. It's just my definition of a good guitar player obviously differs from yours. No he can't play technically brilliant but for me, writing the melody or One, the solo in All I Want Is You, the unique playing of Mofo, and the riff to Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, as well as dozens of other great guitar parts as well as the fact he's developed a recognisable style makes him better than the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen or a million speed-metallers! And I have nothing against those kindsa players, some of my favourite guitar players are shredders. But they aren't my favourite because of that, they're my favourite coz i love listening and want to learn their parts. Just a different definition of what makes a good guitar player to what you have. Calling his guitar playing hideous (as a previous poster did) just because his guitar parts are relatively easy to play or because he uses lots of delay, is just absurd.

As for critisizing him for using effects, this is again misguided. The Edge said himself he differs from other guitar players in that he doesn't use effects to colour his parts, he uses them to write parts. They are essential. You don't need to be a famous comedian to work that out. I'm sure the Edge would be the first to agree with Bill Bailey that if you take out the effects the song would sound ****. That's why he puts them in. Duh!! Think of the live solo to Bad where he plays the same part over and over again. Sounds great, but would sound rubbish without delay. I don't think he's talented coz he can press effects pedals, I think he's talented because he can use those effects to write great songs.You try writing a song as good as Bad with effects if you think it's so easy. Effects are his thing just like bluesy pentatonics are to Slash and playing fast is to Kirk Hammett. Bill Bailey could also do a sketch where he slows down Hammett's playing and it would probably sound crap. That's why Hammett plays fast. That's the same thing as turning off The Edge's effects. That's why he uses them. Critisizing him for using effects is like critisizing Hendrix for using the Whammy Bar. I mean if its not your taste then fine, but it is to mine.
    U2 as song writers aren't half bad I think, they write very good pop music (as opposed to pop music industry music!), but have definitely thrown in their creative towels. Listen to the last couple of offerings and tell me how you can possibly think they can stand next to Pop, Zooropa, Achtung Baby in a natural progression? Those 3 for me were massive leaps forward for both themselves and mainstream music. They were getting very fruity in placed, but now, they're just making a few more pound before they retire into the world of re-union tours. There's no forward progression with the last few things, just big jumps backwards and in fairness to the, they deserve their rest ;)

I agree with this I didn't like the last two albums. I agree their music can be very pop, but show me a band who've wrote so many songs which cross genres and everybody seems to like (e.g. One, With Or Without You). I can think of Guns N' Roses who had a few songs like that too (SCOM, November Rain).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Most irritating and sh*t band ever.

How anyone can claim they're the best band in the world with lyrics such as "A mole, digging in a hole, digging up my soul now, going down, excavation" is beyond me. Inspirational stuff that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd hardly call playing four/five notes through a delay pedal great guitar playing tbh.

all the coverage bono gets for his actions towards the poor, yet we hear nothing about edge's campaign to help the musicians that lost their instruments during katrina. i like edge as a person for doing this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"I'll give you everything you want
    Except the thing that you want"

Yawn.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I wasn't criticising his use of effects at all, I'm all for it! Edge has come out with some unique sounds alright, but compared to Tom Morello or Wes Borland (as 2 easy, popular examples off the top of my head), he don't do jack shít :D As a result of this, I'd say he was a very ordinary guitar player. Where Edge excells (and I think this of Larry too) is that he plays exactly the right thing for U2 and he writes very good tunes with them. This is what gives the impression that he's a good musician but I would draw a distinction between Musicians and Writers. Some bands are good at both, U2 are good at writing but I feel their technical skills are lacking.

They are the proof that you don't need to be a great musician to be successful in the music industry :) I don't begrudge them any of their success at all. They're getting on though and if releasing 2 albums like the ones they recently offered wasn't proof enough, just wait till the next album comes out and it's more of the same. When I first heard ATYCLB, I thought they were pulling the piss! Naturally it was a smash hit because it's relatively mindless, radio friendly pop that the relatively mindless, radio listening populace waste their hard earned on. That was the year I got to see them live for the first time having really, really wanted to see them during the ZooTV years. I wasn't disappointed with their set or gig, a good day was had, but it wasn't ZooTV :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

How dare you use Tom Morello and The Edge in the one sentence... wait, I just did it too didn't I?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I remember thinking when i was younger that u2 were some sort of social commentary,anti-establishment band for the dissafected young people.I later discovered that thier lyrics are,in fact complete gibberish.And for certain band memebers to claim that they grew up in ballymun when in fact they lived in a leafy protestant enclave in nearby glasnevin merely sickens me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Jaysis, it did'nt stay an appreciation thread for long did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dave H wrote:
    Jaysis, it did'nt stay an appreciation thread for long did it?

Better some interesting discussion than everyone just going "Yup" and "I agree" though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ah this oul nugget again ;)

Put simply, I like this band. They're not my favourite band and I'll never be queuing up outside of HMV in the rain to buy their new album or a ticket to a gig, but I admire what they've done and I dig some of their tunes.

The Edge is never going to win Guitarist Of The Year but I think he is superb for what he does. He's not about leads, shredding, tapping or other forms of ****, he's not about big-cock guitar playing at all, so it continually amazes me when people go on about his technique, or lack of it. What he does is provide simple and memorable riffs and melodies, sometimes effects laden, sometimes not. His use of effects has been clever, rather than revolutionary which is, again, no bad thing in my book. When he plays, you know it's him playing, which is, in my opinion, one of the highest compliments you can give a musician. Adam Clayton is far from being the best bass player in the world but what he does, like Cliff Williams of AC/DC, is play what's right for the song. Granted, he may not be able to play more than that but surely that's enough? Same goes for Mullen, he's no Gene Krupa, but he's been part of a solid rhythm section for the last 30-odd years and I've yet to hear him play something out of place, or something that doesn't embellish the song in some way. Ok, so he's not throwing in Moon-esque fills all over the place and impressing drum forum internet world champions, but then again, you're not hearing his timing slip, you're not hearing him overwhelming the song with pointless overplaying. He provides a solid beat, himself and Clayton are a rock solid foundation upon which all their songs are anchored. You don't have a good band with a **** drummer. Fact. All three of them serve the song and, to be honest, I think it'd be great if there were a lot more musicians around here who could do that. As for Bono, he's no Bob Dylan lyrically, he's no Jim Morrison vocally, but I can recall more of his lyrics and vocals melodies than I can most other bands out there. Say what you want about his crusading, but the ****er's actions and persistence have put more food in the bellies of more starving kids than you or I will ever do. I would hope people here aren't petty enough to let begrudgery get in the way of recognising his exceptionally positive achievements which have made the world a better place for some of the most unfortunate people out there.

The band have continually re-invented themselves (ok maybe not over the last couple of albums) but they previously have never been stuck in a rut, never rehashed their old sound again and again. They have used technology cleverly to embellish what they do. Their stage shows are always inventive and they perform, they really put on a live show, unlike so many other bands out there. They have taken huge risks where others have remained content to re-write the same chords and sounds and they've done it all with a sense of humour. They still write songs by the four of them getting in a room and jamming for hours, which is admirable, it says to me that they're a real band, even after all this time. Fair play to them, I say.

[The band have continually re-invented themselves (ok maybe not over the last couple of albums) but they previously have never been stuck in a rut, never rehashed their old sound again and again. They have used technology cleverly to embellish what they do. Their stage shows are always inventive and they perform, they really put on a live show, unlike so many other bands out there. They have taken huge risks where others have remained content to re-write the same chords and sounds and they've done it all with a sense of humour. They still write songs by the four of them getting in a room and jamming for hours, which is admirable, it says to me that they're a real band, even after all this time. Fair play to them, I say.[/QUOTE]

Don't agree really , U2 were always U2 , maybe for 2/3 albums in the early 90s they pushed the boat musically but all their early stuff was very similar, not bad mind you but samey.
    Their past few albums are the same song over and over again.
    Hear those cash registers ch-ching.

So Rattle and Hum sounds like Boy? Joshua Tree sounds like October? Maybe I got some faulty cd's cos I don't hear it ;)

As for their new albums, how many musical innovations do you expect men pushing 50 to make? Most bands usually burn out creatively after about 4 or 5 albums, if they even make it that far. For example, what have REM done recently? If Pop was U2's last real burst of creativity, is it not an acheivement for a band, what, 20 years into their career at that stage, to redefine their sound yet again at that point?

Where is the innovation in modern music at all?

Edit-> Actually, this reminds me of a friend of mine when we were at school in the late 80's, he was bitching about how The Joshua Tree sounded nothing at all like how they used to sound and he "only listened to the old stuff now".

Guess you can't win them all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Favourite albums would be:
    1. Achtung Baby
    2. War
    3. Joshua Tree
    4. Unforgettable fire
    5. Zooropa
    Favourite track would probably be 'Zoo Station' or live version of 'Bad'.
    Last two albums have been very poor. But it is more-or-less to be expected. It's much like REM (who haven't made a really good album since Monster imo). I think both bands should quit within the next year or so instead of just putting out really below par albums and taking the place of The Rolling Stones, playing live and releasing ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

U2 have nothing to contribute to music anymore,they've crawled up thier own arses and have become full-time tax exiles,they wouldnt even do a free gig for the city that made them what they are.Oh yeah,and bono can rot in hell for being a preachy,money-grabbing hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Better some interesting discussion than everyone just going "Yup" and "I agree" though?

but if this had've been an appreciation thread about some death or black metal band you love and people came in and started saying they were crap and talentless youd be arguing the other way to be honest. And this isnt a shot at you. its the way it is on most "appreciation threads".

Hey check out the pantera thread - mostly high praise there!!
    Actually you have a point but really I have groan tired of this unquestioned adoration for U2 in the past years, We Irish really know how to flog a dead horse.
    Why do bands keep going when they have nothing to contribute musically anymore?
    Look at Johnny Cash whose later work defined him because he pushed the boundaries and re-invented himself, Tom Waits is always exciting if eclectic and frustrating, Mike Patton has spurned commercial success to develop the music he wants to play and challenge the listener (not everyones taste I accept).
    But I am so sick of the likes of U2, The Stones , Red Hot Chili Peppers , Metallica, etc just rehashing and milking it.
    You are not meant to be knighted Bono Mick and Keef its Rock n Roll for fooks sake you should kick the queen not bend over for her!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Hang on, Johnny Cash didn't spend all of his career pushing boundaries for himself, he spent years either doing **** all or just re-hashing the same old, tired country drivel that his music was originally a break from. But that's another thread.

I can see how if you only count the last two albums that they look like they're milking it and rehashing but as J-Zilla has pointed out, they had years of chopping and changing things, incorporating different styles and technologies. I can think of some record labels let alone bands that show less variety than U2. It isn't always my cup of tea but you can't honestly think that they've stuck to a formula for their whole career can you?
    I have groan tired of this unquestioned adoration for U2 in the past years, We Irish really know how to flog a dead horse.

Yes, it's just we Irish who are keeping U2 popular. We sure know how to flog that dead horse. Say nothing of them being huge the world over.

As for the Mike Patton analogy, the music he wanted to play has always been viciously anti-mainstream whereas U2 have always wanted to be the mainstream. Being mainstream doesn't always mean selling your credibility, it just happens that many bands do.

buck65 wrote:
    Look at Johnny Cash whose later work defined him because he pushed the boundaries and re-invented himself

You clearly haven't listened to much of what he did from the mid sixties to the mid 90s, I guess ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

U2 are a spent force in my opinion. A good, solid band with all LPs having some decent tracks. But there's loads of bands better than them.

What annoys me is the band's refusal to release their two best songs on CD. There have been two missed opportunities so far - the 1980-1990 best of and the recent compilation.

The songs

11 O'Clock Tick Tock* [although this can be found on the first Fanning's Fab 50 volume and a Martin Hannett compilation]

A Celebration

Advertisement