Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

U2 Appreciation Thread:

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

stooge wrote:
    Sorry, I kinda went off on one I know..

No need to be sorry at all, good rants make good discussion. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This one's mostly for you Stooge...
    Kharn wrote:
    There are an awful lot of people who can't tell how bad U2 are (from a technical POV), but they love the music they write. These people aren't wrong or anything like that.....They have fun listening to the music, but it's the day out they're interested in. This is the same the world over. Band like U2 are the perfect headliner to these events, they're relatively mindless, easy enough on the ear, and for some, they're cutting edge musically. These are the people who don't and may never understand music.
    Now, lets review as you didn't seem to understand...
    U2 are not now cutting edge in music (some of the ZooTV era stuff was quite impressive), but these casual listeners (as I have described) don't understand that, they really don't. Most of them never will. Asking someone who isn't musical, but who likes to listen to pop music to analyse music isn't on. It's like asking a patient to give a review of a surgeon's performance whilst it's happening. They have no proper frame of reference or ability to understand the process.

100% of people do not understand music, they might like listening to it, but they don't understand it. I'm a musician, so I listen to music for much more different reasons and I will appreciate good structure of a song or something clever with a guitar etc. I don't listen to it because it sounds easy on the ear. Metal is a very, very technical musical form, that's one of the reasons I love it so. Pop music is not - it's for the most part aural diarrhoea. U2's more recent offerings fall dangerously close to this, but their earlier stuff most definitely doesn't. This is also one of the reasons I'm so dissappointed in them, they've given up. They're in the same gang as RHCP, Metallica and Moby for me: the "we're getting bloody old and not fit for all this touring, lets make some pop rubbish that'll sell millions and retire" gang. Cynical yes and not everyone will agree with me there. People are free to spend their money on whatever they want, I rejoice in the fact that we live in such a society! They're free to listen to whatever they want and they're free to enjoy it. People going on about what a savage guitar player The Edge is when they've never once played a guitar is somewhat retarded though. These are the people I refer to when I say These are the people who don't and may never understand music.

And also, I'm not trying to force an opinion on anyone, I'm offering mine for the world to read. Music is something I'm extremely passionate about and so I will write and defend my biased opinions with venom!!! :)

I agree with a lot of your post btw, you need to read properly though (and p'raps I need to clarify my points better). I also feel we may be starting a bigger debate that isn't limited to U2, but it's a debate I'm happy to continue with as long as the mods aren't stressed about OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Kharn wrote:
    100% of people do not understand music, they might like listening to it, but they don't understand it. I'm a musician, so I listen to music for much more different reasons and I will appreciate good structure of a song or something clever with a guitar etc. I don't listen to it because it sounds easy on the ear. Metal is a very, very technical musical form, that's one of the reasons I love it so. Pop music is not - it's for the most part aural diarrhoea. U2's more recent offerings fall dangerously close to this, but their earlier stuff most definitely doesn't. This is also one of the reasons I'm so dissappointed in them, they've given up. They're in the same gang as RHCP, Metallica and Moby for me: the "we're getting bloody old and not fit for all this touring, lets make some pop rubbish that'll sell millions and retire" gang. Cynical yes and not everyone will agree with me there. People are free to spend their money on whatever they want, I rejoice in the fact that we live in such a society! They're free to listen to whatever they want and they're free to enjoy it. People going on about what a savage guitar player The Edge is when they've never once played a guitar is somewhat retarded though. These are the people I refer to when I say These are the people who don't and may never understand music.

Nicely put, to me u2 are the forefathers of generic, yes the old stuff is great but they've slumped to their level of mediocre. I just think back to the book american psycho, Patrick bateman listens to bands like genesis, Huey lewis and the news, u2, etc because it's the done thing (there is also the humorous part where he's at a u2 gig). At many times he says he does things to fit in (though obviously he isnt talking about killing prostitutes or the poor)

from looking around places like bebo you will see thousands of people with bands like the killers, u2, snowpatrol, etc as their favourite bands. to me this is normal, they are un-threathening rock. it's like whenever my brother is playing music on my pc he will play 1 or 2 songs from an artist and then move on, eg listening to "whole lotta love" by led zepplin, or "under pressure" by David bowie. Now i have hours and hours of stuff from both, but why would he listen to certain songs instead of embracing a back catalogue? Because these songs are generic but extremely well known.

i was at a battle of the bands tonight in college as i had friends playing. There was a metal band playing before them, and even though they sounded like a slipknot tribute band everyone assumed id like them. They weren't my style, but even if they had the (dare i say avant garde :o ) stylings of a band like Ulver people would still give out and make sarcastic comments as they dont understand the genre.

Music is a tricky concept, not in the actual playing aspect, but in the apreciation aspect. Obviously some people will enjoy music on a different level to that of someone else. I dont like u2, but who am i to say what's god and what's crap music

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

JIZZLORD wrote:
    Nicely put, to me u2 are the forefathers of generic, yes the old stuff is great but they've slumped to their level of mediocre. I just think back to the book american psycho, Patrick bateman listens to bands like genesis, Huey lewis and the news, u2, etc because it's the done thing (there is also the humorous part where he's at a u2 gig). At many times he says he does things to fit in (though obviously he isnt talking about killing prostitutes or the poor)

from looking around places like bebo you will see thousands of people with bands like the killers, u2, snowpatrol, etc as their favourite bands. to me this is normal, they are un-threathening rock. it's like whenever my brother is playing music on my pc he will play 1 or 2 songs from an artist and then move on, eg listening to "whole lotta love" by led zepplin, or "under pressure" by David bowie. Now i have hours and hours of stuff from both, but why would he listen to certain songs instead of embracing a back catalogue? Because these songs are generic but extremely well known
    Thank you sir, you've added a lot to my point, especially the American Psycho reference :D Un-threatening rock also works well, but it already has a name - pop music! Not to be confused with the Pop Music Industry (the Louis Walshes and Simon Cowells of the world), but that's a point I've made before. Pop music isn't necessarily bad, it's popular! It's popular amongst the masses as they just like the sound of it and they're not having their tastes challenged. The majority of people are happy with this (baaaaaa... ;)). It's partially human nature though. However, fair play to them, they're happy and who am I to try take that away, but *I* need my tastes challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

While I agree with the general vibe that they aren't quite as good as they where, I don't see the point in slagging off U2's technical ability. So what that the Edge isn't the best guitarist in the world or that Bono is no Paverotti. Good music isn't necessarily about technical ability, it's about the expression of emotions.

I also disagree with the fanciful notion that because something is popular that it's bad. Should I stop drinking tea because millions of other people drink it? Should I instead switch to Earl Grey so that I can differ from the huddled masses? Eh no. I like tea because it tastes good.

In other words I like the way they sound. Everything else is entirely irrelevant.

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    While I agree with the general vibe that they aren't quite as good as they where, I don't see the point in slagging off U2's technical ability. So what that the Edge isn't the best guitarist in the world or that Bono is no Paverotti. Good music isn't necessarily about technical ability, it's about the expression of emotions.

Personally, I don't think it's about technicality per se, it's that The Edge is just constantly doing the same thing over and over again. Maybe if he had more ability, he could do something varied. As it is, it's just constantly the same thing over and over and over (Through a delay) again.

Much of what makes U2 intolerable to my ears is the sheer repetitiveness of The Edge. It's not because he can't play like John Petrucci.
    amp wrote:
    I also disagree with the fanciful notion that because something is popular that it's bad. Should I stop drinking tea because millions of other people drink it? Should I instead switch to Earl Grey so that I can differ from the huddled masses? Eh no. I like tea because it tastes good.

I don't think anyone said that popular = bad. It's more to do with the notion of a lot of people only liking something because it's popular. Different things there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beckycraig

Does anyone out there claim to be the biggest U2 Fan ever? Or at least one of the biggest? If so how far have you gone for the love of the band?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You have no idea how far I have gone for U2.

I actually took 8 months off work because of U2s touring schedule.
    I noticed that their world tour had started to get some major crowds, and I really was desperate to be there for the last show of the tour, to truly give Bono the send off that he so richly deserves.
    Like all of U2's fans, my life was particularly hollow and empty at the time. Being a husk of a human, without soul or heart, I had no clearer or better goal in my largely cynical mtv generation mind which was by that time totally incapable of appreciating art or finishing sentences.
    Obviously, it was too much for me to go to work and to expect to get to where I wanted to be.
    I moved to the US where I took up shooting and later sharp shooting, ran for miles every day, trained in numerous bootcamps and fitness camps, as well as having my mental acuity tested with numerous basic self torture mechanisms, martial arts, fasting, desert survival, transcandental meditation, self flagellation, eventually whipping myself into a state where I was a keen human weapon anxious for the kill.
    Obviously I had my hair shaved into a mohawk formation and drove night shifts in a cab part-time.
    Unfortunately when the fateful day came for me to finally deliver my righteous vengeance of God on bono, I got to drinking with some clueless guys in GAA jerseys, of which there were thousands for some reason.
    Needless to say, I totally ballsed up my shot when this bloke called Damo tapped me on the shoulder at the wrong time whilst proffering a bottle of buckfast. The tenseness of the situation left me panicked and I ended up missing Bono's densely packed head by some wide degree during one of his multi-talented vocal solos, and burying said bullet in an unknown location. Well, I say unknown, but has anybody else noticed how slowly that mullen guy has been talking lately?
    That may or may not have been me, I have not yet gotten a confirmation.
    He could just be stupid.
    I mean he is the drummer in U2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Doolittle51

I got bored reading this thread because it has just decended into another U2 slagging match. So i skipped the last 20 posts or so.

Anyway back to the appreciation: I have to say 'Heartland' is one of their best songs. Not sure if many people would agree with this straight away, but maybe go and listen to it again and see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

Turned onto them back in '83 when they were still "unknowns" (grew up in Minnesota) and saw them play on the War tour. I was knocked out by their passion and energy - which was raw (yes, raw... this was the 80s!). Saw them again on Unforgettable Fire, which for me is their best album.

After Joshua Tree, I lost interest, par the odd songs here and there, and now haven't bought their stuff since Zooropa. They lost "it" since Zoo and now they are just a mediocre band that sells albums/tours based on the popularity they garnered 10-20yrs ago.

Sad really...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Dr Bollocko
    You are a genius ... like me.
    Loved your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I don't think anyone said that popular = bad. It's more to do with the notion of a lot of people only liking something because it's popular. Different things there.

I think that a lot of metal fans refuse to listen to things that are popular, just on the basis of their popularity. There's this notion that if something is popular, it can't be good.

Undergod wrote:
    I think that a lot of metal fans refuse to listen to things that are popular, just on the basis of their popularity. There's this notion that if something is popular, it can't be good.

And I think that's a fallacy that's been accepted as fact.

It goes hand-in-hand with the dubious statement of Metal fans "Only listening to bands nobody's heard of to appear 'cool'" and there's no logical basis or evidence for it, other than the fact that to some people, the average Metalhead simply appears to like things that are not popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I love Larry's hair.

It goes hand-in-hand with the dubious statement of Metal fans "Only listening to bands nobody's heard of to appear 'cool'" and there's no logical basis or evidence for it, other than the fact that to some people, the average Metalhead simply appears to like things that are not popular.

I don't mean to say that all metalheads are like this, but it is something I've noticed myself. A lot of metal fans I know are of the opinion that anything in the pop spectrum is automatically useless.

A lot of these would be non-musicians though, who don't really understand the music, like what Kharn was saying earlier. They don't get music and aren't judging pop (or dance, or whatever you care to name) on the basis of its musical worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I can see why U2 are popular. I think they are a very accessible band.

I dont like U2, never did and I doubt I ever will based on the way their sound has progressed so far.

In terms of Bono being unable to sing? I'm not a Bono fan but I think that he certainly has singing talent. What he chooses to sing with all this talent is however a problem. The lyrics from their more recent offerings are in a word sh!t.

I like all sorts of music but I find U2 very simplistic. I mean I cant imagine one reason why I would like them. Nothing sticks out, I think they are bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Personally, I don't think it's about technicality per se, it's that The Edge is just constantly doing the same thing over and over again. Maybe if he had more ability, he could do something varied. As it is, it's just constantly the same thing over and over and over (Through a delay) again.

Much of what makes U2 intolerable to my ears is the sheer repetitiveness of The Edge. It's not because he can't play like John Petrucci.

Hmm, what about Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me. One of their best songs, no delay there.

He's not the only one in fairness. I think Metallica in the 80's are awesome, and they're usually considered cutting edge, etc., but 90% of the time Hetfield and Hammett were just playing palm-muted open E's through heavy distortion, and many other metal guitarists copied them. Certain guitarists have their own styles, and know what works for them.

Incidentally compare Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby. He may be using a lot of delay in both, but they sound completely different. I don't how people can say for example, Bad sounds like Even Better Than The Real Thing, or, to compare songs on the same album, to say One sounds like Acrobat.

Kharn wrote:
    Bollix. Give me enough Marshalls and a heap of FX boards and I'll give you athmosphere. It's not difficult, anyone who's been playing the guitar for a year (hell, 3 months if you're trying) can replicate most of what he does - it's a case of learning the fx as much as the guitar. Now remember, I respect U2 and The Edge but he simply doesn't rate as a guitar player. I don't think he shouldn't be using these fx, it's his style. Metal can work without distortion btw, you can use Over Drive :p
    Anyone can replicate what he does obviously but can you write music as good as he can? He rates as a guitar player in the sense he can create good melodies and unique sounds. Yes, he can be copied easily enough, but so can any guitar player.

Why do U2 sell out stadia? Because they are a massive band who have massive following amongst the more "casual" music listener. By this I mean the GAA wearing rednecks that frequent the "festivals" of this hole of a country. They live all over the world these kinds of people. There are an awful lot of people who can't tell how bad U2 are (from a technical POV), but they love the music they write. These people aren't wrong or anything like that, but they might be labeled sheep. 70% of the time you wouldn't be wrong for such a label. I have friends who would go to one of these events simply cause it's something to do. I go to gigs for the music. They don't get that. They have fun listening to the music, but it's the day out they're interested in. This is the same the world over. Band like U2 are the perfect headliner to these events, they're relatively mindless, easy enough on the ear, and for some, they're cutting edge (see what I did there ;)) musically. These are the people who don't and may never understand music.
    There is sheep in every genre. Metal gigs are full of long-haired goths who probably don't know anything about structure and just appreciate the music coz its heavy and they can head-bang, etc.

Of course they're are people who go to these events who don't understand music in a technical or theoretical sense, but that doesn't make their opinion any less valid. I think the problem a lot of musicians and songwriters make is they make music which only other musicians can appreciate, rather than music you can dance to or sing along with. Thus, they are never very successful.

Lots of people go to gigs for music and enjoy U2. You obviously don't like the fact they're successful just because you don't like them and are trying to rationalise it to yourself, instead of admitting they're might actually be people who could like music you don't like. There are a lots of successful bands I don't like but I don't try to come up with some reason as to why people would go see a band I hate, just put it down to musical taste. Personally, I hate their last couple of albums but I know a lot of people, whose musical taste I respect, who like them. I'd still go see them because they still play a lot of their older stuff, which I love.
    That said, ZooTV was a show worth seeing and I wish I had. U2 at that time were at their peak and were making very interesting music.
    Why are you so harsh then. You admit you like at least some of their music. They've been going for over 25 years, you can't expect to like every album. I certainly don't, but every band should be judged by their best material, not their worst.
    None of the above mentioned friends would go to a metal gig, but year in and year out they ask if I'm going to whatever. I laugh in their faces. What's wrong with some people? They'd expect me to go to something I know I won't enjoy but won't even think about going to a metal gig. That's another debate however.

Maybe they do know something about music but genuiney don't like metal, is that hard to believe?

Incidentally, I remember reading where Zakk Wylde was saying he loved Jimmy Page in spite of the latter's poor technique,notably on songs like Heartbreaker. You could also argue Jimi Hendrix had scrappy technique. I still consider them two of the best ever as do many people, so is technique all that important?

Hmm, what about Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me. One of their best songs, no delay there.

Actually, I do like that particular song.

Metal gigs are full of long-haired goths

Goth is a completely different musical genre to Metal, it started from the post punk of the late 70's early 80's, bands like Joy Division, Siousxie & The Banshees and Bauhaus being predominantly influential in the Goth sound, then during the mid 80's bands like Sisters Of Mercy, Fields Of The Nephilim and The Mission emerged, then everything stagnated and turned ****.

So anyway, Metal gigs aren't full of Goths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

so is technique all that important?

Yes.

Yes, he can be copied easily enough, but so can any guitar player.

Oh good. Care to play some John Petrucci there?

Undergod wrote:
    Oh good. Care to play some John Petrucci there?

I'm just saying I'm sure John Petrucci isn't the only one who could play Dream Theater songs. He is the only one who can write them, but I'm sure there's people who if you practise hard enough, they're are other people who could play them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHVzlZtYPMY
    So anyway, Metal gigs aren't full of Goths.
    Sorry, I dunno why I said goth, I just mean they're are people go to gigs of every genre for reasons other than music.

Sorry, I dunno why I said goth, I just mean they're are people go to gigs of every genre for reasons other than music.

So poseurs then?

Also, that DT cover was pretty horrible. The singer was just, ugh, worse than LaBrie.

...if you practise hard enough...
    ....easily enough...

World of difference.

This has got so little to do with U2 anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The singer was just, ugh, worse than LaBrie.

And with all respect to DT, it's hard to be worse than LaBrie :D

Sofaspud wrote:

My point exactly. She managed it! :eek:

Sofaspud wrote:

My mammy likes his voice.

Advertisement