Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP on Three 3G Broadband?

Options
  • 07-01-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

I was in the UK last week and saw that Three (UK) are advertising the use of VOIP on their network for international calls............

I am thinking about getting the Three data servce (3Gb package) would it let me use VOIP or would it block it like Vodafone do?

Also how much bandwidth will VOIP use on a reasonable setting? Would i have to be watching the clock on a 3Gb package?

Will Three increase this package anytime soon?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Neither block VoIP (to my knowledge) and it's not really all that bandwidth intensive. The problem is packet loss and latency. Both do bads things to VoIP. I made a couple of test calls when I first got Vodafone 3G and I seem to recall they were very choppy. Even Skype runs into problems every now and then and Skype is massively better at dealing with poor connections than a typical VoIP codec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I am pretty sure Vodafone do block it, or at least try to..........i remember reading something with i got my data card, only i wasnt bothered as i can only get GPRS with vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Vodafone dont block it but its against the terms of the contract so if they knew you were using it they would disconnect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I ran Blueface's network testing utility over Voda 3G (HSDPA) earlier and the packet loss and jitter is all over the place. You couldn't hold anything resembling a conversation over that connection. It's particularly bad in the upstream direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

3 plan to roll out a product called X-Series fairly soon. It includes skype apparently

Check www.three.ie and click on the X-Series link.

Doubt blueface would work over a HSPDA link (at least at current speeds) the latency would be terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

why would skype work and not blueface?

Advertisement