Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft 802.11n

• 07-01-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a new wireless router and would like to get latest technology, i am a bit confused with when they mention "draft 802.11n", is this a beta version and should i hold out for a final release.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yup it basically is a beta version. As far as I'm aware they haven't finished
    the spec for 802.11n yet (I did some research in it about a year ago). The
    pre-n and draft-n equipment are just earily versions and probably aren't
    worth getting until the actual 802.11n routers are released.
    It'll be worth the wait, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Many thanks, found a link here. April 2008, a bit to go yet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Rather than just going for "the katest technology" I would have a look for something that fits your requirements...
    There are some very good (pre-) 802.11n routers available already if you decide to go for that though...

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

I am first timer with wireless, can you recommend from you own experience a god all round router, i need to network 1 desktop and 1 laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Linksys WRT54GL is my personal fav. I have a slightly older version of it and not a problem with it. Easy to setup and config, good range too. Widely available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

stanley1 wrote:
    I am first timer with wireless, can you recommend from you own experience a god all round router, i need to network 1 desktop and 1 laptop.

Have a look at my other posts in this forum and you'll get an idea...

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Are there different implementations of draft 802.11n floating around?

I was thinking about buying a new Apple Airport Extreme (seems quite reasonably priced and has lots of features) although I only have PC hardware.

If a picked up a draft n PCI card would it play nice with the Apple router? Or is this likely to be a proprietary implementation of the draft n standard?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Anyone have an idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Duffman wrote:
    Anyone have an idea?

There is NO guarantee that Pre N hardware from different manufacturers will work together. Safer to wait at least 6 months to a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yup, we looked into pre-n at fon. It's just not a flier yet if you want your router to be compatible with n when it comes out.

I hope I am not too forward to suggest that if you are looking for a wi-fi router and don't need extra ethernet points, that you consider the Fonera from fon (http://www.fon.com/) for 35 euros including vat and shipping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement