Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 1.9tdi 2004 - died on the road??

Options
  • 07-01-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi All,

Driving my 2004 A4 1.9TDI (37K miles) at 100Km/hr in fifth - for no reason the engine/car switches off! No lights on the dash - not thing. I had to coast to the hard shoulder. Had a 3/4 tank of diesel and has been serviced at all service intervals. Car re-stared without any issues and drove home.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi All,

Driving my 2004 A4 1.9TDI (37K miles) at 100Km/hr in fifth - for no reason the engine/car switches off! No lights on the dash - not thing. I had to coast to the hard shoulder. Had a 3/4 tank of diesel and has been serviced at all service intervals. Car re-stared without any issues and drove home.

Any ideas?

I've heard of this happening before on VAG TDi cars, have no idea what was causing it though. Mass air flow sensor or lambda (oxygen) sensors are a common problem on the TDi engine.

Were there any ECU error codes displayed on the dash when it happened? I would have the car connected to a diagnostic computer at your local VW/Audi dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Have you a heavy bunch of keys ? Have heard on certain Mazdas that heavy bunches of keys dangling from the ignition switch causes wear in the ignition barrel, resulting in the same symptoms you see. Usually after about 10yrs tho !! The "wiggle test" normally confirms the problem. Since your's is only 2 years old it's doubtful that this is the prob

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

It sounds like it is going into LOS (limited opperation stratagy) due to a fault. That is why it is ok after you cycle the ignition.
    The problem for you now is that there are quite a number of faults that will cause this. Some common ones are Turbo, Turbo boost solenoid and MAP sensor. You really need to get it diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Looks like it was the keys .. i.e. the actual engine was turned off! The ignition seems quiet sensitive.

cheers
    for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Franksm to the rescue. :D

Mike.

Advertisement