Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend a book on israel?

Options
  • 07-01-2007 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recomend a book on Israel from old times to new?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Well Operation Defensive Shield Is a good read although It might not be what you looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I'm looking to find out about its history, what has happened there over the last few thousand years leading up to the conflict that is there today. An idiots guide perhaps? I was watching something last night that touched on it but I'm still confused over what is happening there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A well-known British historian Martin Gilbert has written a few books on it. Here's his site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes I have that book "Israel - A History" indeed it is a good reference book chronologically organised. I happen to think it is Zionist leaning, he fails to document much of the activity of the Irgun and Haganah during the time, whereas he goes into detail into Arab attacks and the like.

I would still buy it as a reference but I'd have other books to hand to go into more detail on certain parts of it. Read it but read it critically is all i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If your looking for a 'for dummies' kind of book on the history of Israel and the area, I would point you in the direction of 'Exodus' and 'The Haj' both by Leon Uris

Both are [brilliant] historical fiction books, but give a good grounding in the 'gist' of what has been going on over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

historical fiction? surely a fictional book isn't a good grounding for finding more about Israel's history?

Advertisement