Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heaters - are they still cheap to run?

Options
  • 07-01-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. Just wondering are they still the bargain they were once made out to be energy use-wise, or should I just leave them off and use the gas central heating instead.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I think they are only cheap if you have the extra night saver meter at the reduced rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Well.. if you're at home during the day, then they may be of some use.

If you are out during the day, and don't come home till early evening, all the heat is gone, so you're paying for nothing. I have them in my apartment, and they're the most useless things ever.

Also, they're not cheap. In fact, they're very expensive to run. I use the built in fan heater in mine to warm the room up occasionally, but apart from that, I never use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Well.. if you're at home during the day, then they may be of some use.

If you are out during the day, and don't come home till early evening, all the heat is gone

That depends on how you set your storage heaters and how well insulated your home is.

I use storage heaters, rarely get home before 8pm and the place is plenty warm. Only on the coldest nights do I need to turn on some extra heat.

Priority one to save money on heating at home is to insulate properly.

Advertisement