Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Sky Box is dying.

• 07-01-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Here's my tale of woe.

I think my Panasonic Sky Digibox is failing. I can't reliably receive any RTE / BBC or some other channels. The picture is breaking up badly. I have a consistant signal strength of 100% and a quality of 80% on a 1m dish. I suppose it could be the LNB but I recently used a no sky box on the same cable and it was fine. I have replaced the cable in case that was at fault but no change.

As I live in France I can't just "get" a new SKy Box without being reamed by some of the international suppliers.

So here is my question.
    Are there any cams available that will allow me to use a perfectly legitimate Sky card subscription in a non-Sky box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Dragon Cam will allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for that Ronan|Raven. Would I get EPG or just basic functionality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Basic "now and next" im afraid :( Unless you go for a dreambox that can use one of the 7day sky epg plugins. You would still need to keep the existing skybox to update the card as to my knowledge the dragon cam doesnt allow this.

Herself would kill me if she couldn't set autoview on the soaps. I suppose I better shell out for a Sky Box from an independent source. Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Panasonic's are apparently known to have a problem sometimes with Astra 2D signals.

Check out this, see if these links will help:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/panasonic.htm
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/digirep.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Walking that tightrope eh Hagar? :)

Guys, Jesus! We are treading on dodgy ground here.

I'm leaving this open as long as it doesn't progress into that area!

Hagar, try adverts.ie or even ebay. There are many deals available on there.

If all else fails, I have an old panny digibox that isn't being used. So let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

You bet me to it Spanky.

Dodgy?? Has it not progressed there already?
    Or are we making an exception for the Mod?

Excuse me gentlemen. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, being discussed here. I am entitled under EU law to watch Sky where I please provided I take out a legitimate subscription within the EU. I have done so and stated as much in my first post. I merely wish to know can I view my legally paid for channels using equipment supplied by another satellite receiver manufacturer. Nobody is being defrauded of a single penny. I am not asking for any information on how to circumvent Sky encryption to their detriment. They will still get their €55 per month from my bank account.

There are no exceptions around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Would the hardware described above not be classed as "Illegal firmware downloads"?

Or, is the hardware described above covered by the "equipment and subscription is legitimate"?

(Both Charter quotes)

Sorry Hagar, you may be right. Just asking.:)

Hagar wrote:
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, being discussed here.
    That should have read "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, illegal being discussed here."

I hope that stupid typo didn't cause too much confusion.

Quote from Charter
    Under EU and Irish law such reception is regarded legitimate as long as the equipment and subscription is legitimate. In the EU it is regarded as theft to obtain encrypted or scrambled signals including TV/Radio without entitlement, i.e. Without payment of correct subscription.
    Can someone please point out anywhere in the thread where non payment of a subscription was even hinted at? You won't be able because quite simply I'm not a thief.
    Spanky-s wrote:
    Hagar, try adverts.ie or even ebay.

Link to my Wanted Ad on Adverts.ie. Note the time it was posted.
    Did you forget that you already read this ad as part of a link about 9 minutes before you made your post here?

Thank you for your kind offer, it is appreciated.

I must say however that I take exception at having my integrity doubted.

Now I'm locking this thread because I don't want it to degenerate any further.
    If anybody wants to go to PM or Feedback that's fine by me.

/Edit I had hoped my 5000th post would be a bit more memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think you need a new Sky Box. I'm sure someone here can get it and ship it to you. It will have to be full price unsubsidised.

Using a 3rd party CAM, I agree is not illegal. but I don't beleive it is reliable for Pay TV.

If Sky is abolising Sky+ charge and making it the entry level, Sky+ might be worth getting, also it will make more ordinary Sky boxes available.

The issue of Dragon Cam and also PC CAM emulation on an ISO reader for FTV and Pay Sky channels has been discussed before. Perfectly legal for an individual to use with a subscription as long as no card sharing is involved. However it is definatately a hobbyist non-guarenteed solution that still may require a Sky box for pay Channel key renewal.

The end to this whole sorry saga is a faulty LNB.

Replaced the old .5 with a new .3 and the job is done.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement