Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there ever be a Bobby Sands Street in the country?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

NO WAY.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken" - Bobby Sands

Ya wanna bet....look how Bobby Sands ended up.

And the Brit flag still flutters over Stormont.

McArmalite wrote: »
    Is that why the street signs in nationalist areas of Belfast and Derry are been written in Irish and English ??;)

Strangely, the street signs in downtown Glasgow are written in Scots Gaelic and English. (Not Lallans.)

Scots Gaelic is almost pure Irish Gaelic.

Under Queen St. Glasgow is "Sraid an MBanrionn"...my spelling may be off.

The Unionist nutters in N.I. are just as nutty as the Nationalist nutters.

(Like the ones who name themselves after firearms, Mr McArtillery-Piece.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Bobby sands is a hero and not just in Ireland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACrcYikjTBY

How can the british terrorists have won when the war isnt over ?

Bet you're just a hoot at parties, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RSF Cill Dara

JWAD wrote: »
    Bet you're just a hoot at parties, eh?
    your a funny man :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

your a funny man :rolleyes:

A sense of humour is required in case one ever bumps into a boring wannabe-Republican who will never move on.

A sense of humour is required in case one ever bumps into a boring wannabe-Republican who will never move on.

a wannabe republican? how would you know if i was boring or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that it would be extremely boring, were we all to share the same opinions. There would be no point in discussing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

Pgibson wrote: »
    Ya wanna bet....look how Bobby Sands ended up.

And the Brit flag still flutters over Stormont.

And his fellow-travellers have surrendered !

And his fellow-travellers have surrendered !

travellers? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

travellers? :confused:

sounds like an insult to the travelling community to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

Jaysus, Fred you're right - apologies to all travellers :D

For RSF Cill Dara:
    In some political contexts the term fellow traveler refers to a person who sympathizes with the beliefs of a particular organization, but does not belong to that organization. The phrase must be understood as referring to people who "walk part of the way" with an organization, without committing themselves to it.

I travel into work every day and I don't feel insulted.

I travel into work every day and I don't feel insulted.

No, you probably aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

my uncle has done a few murals of Bobby Sands which are very good in Belfast,never seen them in person but he;s promised me a tour :) ill upload some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway back to the topic:
    So obviously people dont think he will ever have a street named after him in the free state.. sure I suppose you could probably name a belfast street after him. What about changing "Sandy Row" to "Bobby Sands Row", im sure the inhabitants would love it, sure we could stick the sign here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SandyRowMural.JPG

:pac::pac:

neil_hosey wrote: »
    my uncle has done a few murals of Bobby Sands which are very good in Belfast,never seen them in person but he;s promised me a tour :) ill upload some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway back to the topic:
    So obviously people dont think he will ever have a street named after him in the free state.. sure I suppose you could probably name a belfast street after him. What about changing "Sandy Row" to "Bobby Sands Row", im sure the inhabitants would love it, sure we could stick the sign here:

yeah , i wouldnt mind having a look at them pics if you dont mind

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Sure we could stick the sign here:

Hope the people who put up the Sandy Row mural are paying Royalties to the people they copied it off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Derry_mural.jpg

(Derry people might not like receiving "Royalties" though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Not sur eif this really belongs here in history/heritage but given the political hue of most other posts here why not?

There are plenty of Pearse Streets in the country, Collins has his own Avenue, and there is a Sean Treacy Terrace/Road in Carrick on Suir. IRA figures from the 1940's are commemorated - The GAA club in Tralee and Sean Russells Statue in Fairview etc. So in time what is the likelyhood of or there ever being some sort of Bobby Sands housing estate, street or school. (Terrance MacSwiney has at least a school named after him in Cork).

Also, would it be any different?

I sure hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

Do you think we should have a street named after Mildred Harrison, a 26 year old Catholic girl murdered by the UVF whilst protecting her community?

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/Special_Rolls/Women_Police/Women_Police_Roll.htm

Centauro wrote: »
    Do you think we should have a street named after Mildred Harrison, a 26 year old Catholic girl murdered by the UVF whilst protecting her community?

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/Special_Rolls/Women_Police/Women_Police_Roll.htm

NO! she was a member of the RUC

• Advertisement

NO! she was a member of the RUC
    Typical.

Most Irish people have nothing but contempt for Bobby Sands.

When the Brits let him starve himself to death they saved the lives of the people he would have shot dead if he had got out.

Typical.

Most Irish people have nothing but contempt for Bobby Sands.

When the Brits let him starve himself to death they saved the lives of the people he would have shot dead if he had got out.

most Irish people admired bobby sands for his bravery and sacrifice even if they didnt support the IRA or INLA

british soldiers and RUC are nothing but murders and scumbags !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

IRA or INLA
    are nothing but murders and scumbags !

When the Good Friday agreement was signed, hundreds of republican (and loyalist)prisoners were released from British gaols.

How many British prisoners were released from Republican gaols?

None. Zilch. Nada. That's because we all know that republicans murdered as a matter of course. Put a hood over your head, and shot you behind the ear.
    That's when they weren't bombing our country to oblivion...

It was the bravery and dedication of the police, supported by the army, which saved this Island from another civil war.

As it is rememberence Sunday, i think it is apt to say that if you want to name a street after anyone, name it after gordon Wilson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Wilson_(peace_campaigner)

As it is rememberence Sunday, i think it is apt to say that if you want to name a street after anyone, name it after gordon Wilson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Wilson_(peace_campaigner)

Hear Hear.

Gordon was a beacon of sanity in a Tsunami of mindless hate and revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A bit OT: Does Dev have a street, etc., named after him in this country?

I've never noticed one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

A bit OT: Does Dev have a street, etc., named after him in this country?

I've never noticed one.

THERE IS A ROAD IN LETTERKENNY NAMED AFTER HIM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

When the Good Friday agreement was signed, hundreds of republican (and loyalist)prisoners were released from British gaols.

None. Zilch. Nada. That's because we all know that republicans murdered as a matter of course. Put a hood over your head, and shot you behind the ear.

It was the bravery and dedication of the police, supported by the army, which saved this Island from another civil war.

how many british "political" prisoners or other militants, including unionists have their being or are still incarated in the prisons of the 26 counties?

granted their was bount to be genuine decent people in the ruc, but they themselves, the protectors of law and order for BOTH communities were no angles. have you read the reports to ruc collusion? or how the british "reward" british soliders like brian nelson. any thing worth happening with the bloody sunday enquiry? where is the enquiry for pat finucane

if you are so outraged with the killings, look no further than the dublin / monaghan bombings, why dont you go out with the protesters in front of our own parliaments and demand an enquiry

is that the same "bravery" and dedication of the police , backed up by the army , when they burnt inocent irish people from their homes? or shot 14 people dead in derry , or maybe when they helped loyalist bomb Dublin and monaghan?

Some of the people who were murdered directly by the Royal Ulster Constabulary who now have a different badge under the guise of the PSNI,yet still harbouring the same bigotted murderers of these and many more
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxPXU8sAW58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BKWW24sYSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXcfps1MUA&feature=PlayList&p=1AD0619E289FCE5E&index=0

what about the killing of billy reid ? who war unarmed and shot in the back, what about gibraltar? the British army murder of 3 unarmed IRA members in Gibraltar,what about loughgall? 8 unarmed members of the IRA murdered in a ambushed by british troops
    of course republicans shot their prisoners , its not like they had barracks set up around the country

• Advertisement

snipped

Too off topc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement