Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there ever be a Bobby Sands Street in the country?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

O'Leprosy wrote:
    Completly relevant, just pointing out how churchill epitomised the values of the british establishment -the british establishment, the most currupt group of people in human history.

wrong thread.

complete bollocks mind you, but wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Bobby Sands is revered as a symbol of freedom by millions throughout the world.

He will always be remembered.

Bobby Sands is revered as a symbol of freedom by millions throughout the world.

He will always be remembered.

Ask anyone outside of GB IRL under 30 "who is bobby sands" and see what answer you get???

most likely answer "who???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

here we go again.

exactly the same could be said for the 9/11 or 7/7 bombers, or anyone who gives up their life for their "cause". Doesn't make it right.

Dead heroes are less useful than live ones.

Yeah, just like your dead heros at the charge of the light brigade, the poor unfortunates thousands at officer gunpoint going 'over the top' at the Somme, Gallipoli etc And then this coming from " We will rememeber them at the going down of the sun " etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

This thread makes baby jesus cry.

Will there ever be a Bobby Sands street? I don't particularly care, but I'd prefer not.

• Advertisement

Probably not. Sands was a British citizan and how many British citizans of this centuary get streets named after them in the Republic?

Northen Ireland is part of Britain.:)

Because Bobby Sands was born under british occupied Ireland that makes him a brit and not Irish. If that's the case, Micheal Collins, Terence McSweeney, Robert Emmet, etc were also british including most of our grand parents/ great grandparents ? The half breed from the north of England/lowland Scotland (i.e. unionists) trooling as usual, anything to try and get a swipe at the papes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

McArmalite wrote:
    Because Bobby Sands was born under british occupied Ireland that makes him a brit and not Irish. If that's the case, Micheal Collins, Terence McSweeney, Robert Emmet, etc were also british including most of our grand parents/ great grandparents ? The half breed from the north of England/lowland Scotland (i.e. unionists) trooling as usual, anything to try and get a swipe at the papes :rolleyes:

Hmmmm...half breed? From the north of England/Scotland am I? Moi?

Noooooo. I don't know about you, but my great grandparents/grandparents/parents/myself were born and lived in Ireland which was (back then in great-grandparent's time) a part of the UK otherwise known as Britain. So they used British currency, paid taxes to Britain, were both Irish and British etc-indeed my great granduncles fought in the Second Boer war, and WW1, and yet we were also heavily involved in the Land League in and around Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

So they used British currency, paid taxes to Britain
    All the clothes I wear are made in China, does that make me Chinese?

When the island is re-unified there most certainly will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

there probably will, isn't there a couple of wall murals dedicted to him in the north. ye are all aware that when he died he got media coverage from all over the world, many countries had a minutes silence etc, there was no one bar maggie calling him this or that.

i remember during the summer in gerry adam's area in antrim, they produced a green gaa jersey (o'neills) with his face faded into it, was for the 25th anniversary of hunger strike

one question though, do you think fianna fail or any other party in this side of the boarder would be keen on the idea, as the situationis right now? would it be tolerated in the north?
    got me self one of them jerseys wore it in the states had strangers asking about it coool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

jazoo wrote:
    got me self one of them jerseys wore it in the states had strangers asking about it coool

One of my mates has one. Last summer a few of us went up to Belfast for the weekend, us all wearing Dublin GAA shirts :) But he wore the one with Bobby Sands on it !!! . Must say it provoked a glance or two :D ,though many of the glances resulted in a thumbs up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I say rename Merrion Road in Ballsbridge (Dublin) Bobby Sands Street!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L965m4GB55c

CptSternn wrote:
    I say rename Merrion Road in Ballsbridge (Dublin) Bobby Sands Street!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L965m4GB55c

Why? or more spcifically why Merrion Road?

is this your way of improving relations between Unionists and Republicans in the north?

Why? or more spcifically why Merrion Road?

is this your way of improving relations between Unionists and Republicans in the north?

" why Merrion Road? " - because the British embassy is on it :D

Nice one CptSternn :D

DublinDes wrote:
    " why Merrion Road? " - because the British embassy is on it :D

Nice one CptSternn :D

No problem then London can rename Grosvenor Place to Oliver Cromwell Place, - touché.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Bobby Sands Street in Iran is where the brit embassy *used* to be located. After the Iranian government renamed it, the brit government spent tens of millions to wall up the front doors and build a new entry on the other side of the building so they could change their address from Bobby Sands Street.

...but for that year, the brit embassy in Iran was located on Bobby Sands Street. ;)

CptSternn wrote:
    Bobby Sands Street in Iran is where the brit embassy *used* to be located. After the Iranian government renamed it, the brit government spent tens of millions to wall up the front doors and build a new entry on the other side of the building so they could change their address from Bobby Sands Street.

...but for that year, the brit embassy in Iran was located on Bobby Sands Street. ;)

That is old news, but thanks all the same.

Are you proposing Ireland follows Iran's example for diplomatic relations?

When Mr Orangeman from the north is shown around Dublin to see what they would be getting from a united Ireland, how do you think he will feel when he sees he will have to visit "Bobby Sands" street to renew hi passport?

In your honest opinion, will this little stunt help unionist/republican relations or hinder them.

Thankfully most people seem to have moved on from antagonising each other and prefer to look for a more peaceful option.

No problem then London can rename Grosvenor Place to Oliver Cromwell Place, - touché.

Yeah and we could refer to London on maps, the news etc as Derrylondon :) - touche

That is old news, but thanks all the same.

Are you proposing Ireland follows Iran's example for diplomatic relations?

When Mr Orangeman from the north is shown around Dublin to see what they would be getting from a united Ireland, how do you think he will feel when he sees he will have to visit "Bobby Sands" street to renew hi passport?

In your honest opinion, will this little stunt help unionist/republican relations or hinder them.

Thankfully most people seem to have moved on from antagonising each other and prefer to look for a more peaceful option.

" Mr Orangeman from the north is shown around Dublin " Wouldn't make the slightest difference to Mr Orangeman. Any reforms in the north have been due to greater nationalist political power due to the nationalist numbers growing and growing.
    The unionist parties have opposed almost everything down the years that are part of the nationalist culture/identity. From grants to the GAA, Irish language (street signs in Irish for example), St Patrick's day parades ( unbeleiveable when you consider the 1,000's of cities around the world that have a Paddy's day parade and the second biggest city in Ireland did not have one - but that's unionism for you). There is now an offical St Paddy's day parade in Belfast, thanks to SF, SDLP and Alliance party majority on Belfast council. My father is from Belfast, I know a little about unionist 'generosity'. The records are there to prove it.

DublinDes wrote:
    Yeah and we could refer to London on maps, the news etc as Derrylondon :) - touche

" Mr Orangeman from the north is shown around Dublin " Wouldn't make the slightest difference to Mr Orangeman. Any reforms in the north have been due to greater nationalist political power due to the nationalist numbers growing and growing.
    The unionist parties have opposed almost everything down the years that are part of the nationalist culture/identity. From grants to the GAA, Irish language (street signs in Irish for example), St Patrick's day parades ( unbeleiveable when you consider the 1,000's of cities around the world that have a Paddy's day parade and the second biggest city in Ireland did not have one - but that's unionism for you). There is now an offical St Paddy's day parade in Belfast, thanks to SF, SDLP and Alliance party majority on Belfast council. My father is from Belfast, I know a little about unionist 'generosity'. The records are there to prove it.

you know, if you are going to change your user name, it would make sense to change the style of your posts, that way people may be fooled into thinking you haven't just been banned.

you know, if you are going to change your user name, it would make sense to change the style of your posts, that way people may be fooled into thinking you haven't just been banned.

Waht the f*ck are you on about ?

DublinDes wrote:

You can if you want to, there used to be pleanty of oak groves around London ;) Fáilte romhat go Doire Londain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

i wud hope so

but there is one in india i think , on the street where the british embassy is , lololololol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Without reading any of the other posts. The answer is no, never. Not for a dead terrorist. There won't be any Gerry Adams street either for that matter. Remember the winning side gets to name the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

conor2007 wrote: »
    i wud hope so

but there is one in india i think , on the street where the british embassy is , lololololol

Iran actually. It was previously called Winston Churchill Street. Good one eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

Your in the E.U now - get over it.:eek:

cp251 wrote: »
    Without reading any of the other posts. The answer is no, never. Not for a dead terrorist. There won't be any Gerry Adams street either for that matter. Remember the winning side gets to name the streets.

Is that why the street signs in nationalist areas of Belfast and Derry are been written in Irish and English ??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

csk wrote: »

U2 are no longer subject to our tax regime. Are they now a Dutch Band?

Thankfully, yes. Now we can slag off that orange b@st@rd Bono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mealone42

Hagar wrote: »
    From Wiki:-

Apparently the Embassy gives its address as an adjoining street. You couldn't make that up.:D

I like it, I like it :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

'' a crime is a crime is a crime'' - unless its committed by us

yes , there should be one
    and please God there will be

as for a suicide terroist - or whatever the qoute someone said

''ach an féinmharú d'íobairtse?
    ní géilleadh ní faoiseamh'' - michael davit - ''do bhobby sands an lá sular éag''- on the day he died

''but a suicidal sacrifice?
    not submission,nor release''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RSF Cill Dara

cp251 wrote: »
    Bobby sands is a hero and not just in Ireland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACrcYikjTBY

How can the british terrorists have won when the war isnt over ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RSF Cill Dara

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken" - Bobby Sands

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement