Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E-Class, Merc

Options
  • 07-01-2007 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I want to buy a post facelift 2007 model e-class merc. Any views on which model i should get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

220 Turbo diesel

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You could do a lot better with your money than buy a Mercedes tbh, their dealer network are a joke as far as I'm concerned and the quality just isn't there anymore. The only ones worth buying are the S class and even they are overpriced. Its worth having another look around, I won't brag about how good BMW are.;) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

200 kompressor seems to hold its value the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote:
    200 kompressor seems to hold its value the best.

...mmmm, dunno about that, mine's been for sale for ages, and Western Motors nearly have them double stacked in the car park..........

OP - "post 07 facelift" - you mean 2008???? or was that a typo, and you meant 1997. Either way, avoid 02-05/06 E-Class like the plague........

If you are buying new, do NOT buy one with cloth seats or a manual gearbox - you won't be able to give it away in years to come, relatively speaking. Buying used, if you want a manual with cloth seats, it's a buyer's market, you could name your own price.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

To the best of my knowledge, dealers have been traditionally changing E classes for relatively small money. Last year they had (and still have) huge stocks of unsold used ones, and are looking for more money to change. There isn't a shortage of any particular models so I don't reckon the more expensive diesels can hold the price margin second hand. (been trying to sell a E320 CDI for ages)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    (been trying to sell a E320 CDI for ages)

ouch, I feel your pain...........that Eur1343 tax is a killer.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

the newer 320 CDI is under 3 litres so owners get away with E 1071 per year - I'm sure they can afford it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

galwaytt wrote:
    OP - "post 07 facelift" - you mean 2008???? or was that a typo, and you meant 1997. Either way, avoid 02-05/06 E-Class like the plague......

I think the OP is talking about the revised E Class just launched. It is a facelifted version of the 2002 - 2006 E Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote:
    E 1071 per year
    €1056?

...if it's the one just launched, then my advice would be, generally:

2.2 diesel
    2.0 petrol
    2.7 diesel

Avoid, at any cost, the 2.4 petrol (if they're still offering it)...

For spec
    Leather - always - but not cream.
    Auto - always
    Colour - there's only two choices when it comes to cars: 1 - the colour you really like, dictated by actual desire to have it, and 2 - the colour you think will sell in a few years..........usually boiled to silver, black, blue. Occasionally, the two choices collide, and you're a happy bunny - or not, and you spent the 4/5 years not truly enjoying the car......

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

I just taxed my Audi S8 4.2 for 184 Sterling for the year, thats about 276 euros. (All legit. by the way) Are we being ripped off here or what? My M5 here is 1343 euros, what a f**king scam and then they have the cheek to bring in toll roads, and worse you can't even travel at a decent speed here on the bits and pieces of good roads. I was delighted to hear that people are standing up to the toll road in Watergrasshill and not using it. We really are suckers here for being ripped off.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

junkyard wrote:
    We really are suckers here for being ripped off.:mad:
    We also pay some of the lowest taxes in Europe. ;)

And some of the highest ones, but I'm off topic and probably get banned. I could talk all night about taxes but I'll probably end up drowning myself.:)

We also pay some of the lowest taxes in Europe. ;)

...but, and not unconnected to the name of this Forum - 'Motors' - we pay amongst the highest for our cars and motoring. Even the EU Commission agrees with that and has told our govt as much, re: VRT.........

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

junkyard wrote:
    I just taxed my Audi S8 4.2 for 184 Sterling for the year, thats about 276 euros. (All legit. by the way) Are we being ripped off here or what? My M5 here is 1343 euros, what a f**king scam and then..
    How do they compare, I've always had a soft spot for the A8, it being light on its feet (relatively speaking) from all that aluminium, big car though, is it quick ? would it rip a passat (the car against which all performance cars in Ireland are judged) TDi a new arsehole on the main road ? Are you around, I want a spin, whenever I sober up, its an Audi though, could you live with the shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Galwaytt, Whats wrong with the 2.4L? On and which they never did offer on the W211 or the new facelifted version. The E240 was infact a 2.6L V6 ( if thats the engine you mean ) and there is nothing wrong with it and is not offered on the facelift model either now, Can you explain to me what is wrong with it ? Beautiful petrol engine it was...

Also, you mentioned an E270 in the facelifted model, wasn't the E270 replaced with the new E280 with far better refinement?

Hj

528i wrote:
    How do they compare, I've always had a soft spot for the A8, it being light on its feet (relatively speaking) from all that aluminium, big car though, is it quick ? would it rip a passat (the car against which all performance cars in Ireland are judged) TDi a new arsehole on the main road ? Are you around, I want a spin, whenever I sober up, its an Audi though, could you live with the shame :(
    The M5 is for acting like a hooligan in and looking like your sensible, you can drive it just like an ordinary car everyday too or like demon when the need arises. The Audi is more of a motorway cruiser but doesn't hang around either. If I was in a hurry to go to Belfast I'd take the M5 but if I wanted to go to Malaga I'd take the Audi. I think its a bit unrealistic to compare either against a farmer boys Passat TDi tbh.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

528i wrote:

Welcome back on boards ya cnut ya :D

The A8 looks more stylish than anything else, but it ain't a panzer in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

junkyard wrote:
    The M5 is for acting like a hooligan in and looking like your sensible, you can drive it just like an ordinary car everyday too or like demon when the need arises. The Audi is more of a motorway cruiser but doesn't hang around either. If I was in a hurry to go to Belfast I'd take the M5 but if I wanted to go to Malaga I'd take the Audi. I think its a bit unrealistic to compare either against a farmer boys Passat TDi tbh.:D

Is it the new S8 (single frame grille launched middle of last year) or the older S8 model? I got to drive the newer one in Mondello recently and it drives amazingly well for a car of its size.

Advertisement