Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zhivago (in the Book Centre) closes

• 07-01-2007 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Great pity to be honest, they always had a fantastic selection of DVD movies and boxsets and cheap enough aswell. Anyone know the reasons of the closure? They always seemed to be doing fairly well...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

That is a great pity indeed:( I always liked Zhivago myself too. Don't know the reason for closure myself either but I heard a whisper about Virgin or HMV coming to Waterford soon.

Anbody know what's gonna replace Zhivago in Book Centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

deise59 wrote:
    Great pity to be honest, they always had a fantastic selection of DVD movies and boxsets and cheap enough aswell. Anyone know the reasons of the closure? They always seemed to be doing fairly well...

Just speculation on my part - I only heard this news from you - but I would say location. I tend to forget that it's there until I wander into the Book Centre.

How come other similarly-sized places can support HMV and Virgin and we can only support crappy Sinnott's and Golden Discs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think their lease could have ran out? I know the Book Centre is planning an extension within 6 months...ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Definitely the **** location. Perhaps they are relocating?

The reason why there is not HMV is Waterford I reckon is because there are so few units that are large enough to accommodate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Have they actually closed or are closing ?
    Shame, wasnt a bad spot but have to concur on their bad location.
    Did they have a closing down sale or anything ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Twas a good enough place, supprised to see its closing down. I dont think any HMV or another music store is taking its place. That rumour has been going around for years.

Location is probably one aspect, but the book centre is always mobbed - how the hell were they not doing any business?!

I know that "The Card Company" in CitySquare Waterford closed cause the rent was way to high, and a lot of the block was apparently sold off to someone.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

[QUOTE=Sully04I know that "The Card Company" in CitySquare Waterford closed cause the rent was way to high, and a lot of the block was apparently sold off to someone.[/QUOTE]

When did the card company close Sully. Its a shame because they were always a better option than porter or the book centre. Far better value.

Come to think of it, that was also the reason for the shop at the blackfriars entrance closed a couple of years back. I think it was called midget.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Come to think of it, that was also the reason for the shop at the blackfriars entrance closed a couple of years back. I think it was called midget.

LMAO, I think you mean "Medium" ?

No I think you will find that there was a shop called "midget", but you are right with medium. Midget was located on the Quay, where that internet cafe is.

My apologies, in one of those humours today and found something insanely funny about a shop called midget.

• Advertisement

c - 13 wrote:
    My apologies, in one of those humours today and found something insanely funny about a shop called midget.

No problem, it was a bit of a funny name alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully04 wrote:
    Twas a good enough place, supprised to see its closing down. I dont think any HMV or another music store is taking its place. That rumour has been going around for years.

Location is probably one aspect, but the book centre is always mobbed - how the hell were they not doing any business?!

I know that "The Card Company" in CitySquare Waterford closed cause the rent was way to high, and a lot of the block was apparently sold off to someone.

HMV wouldn't take that location, it's crap.

The Book Centre is always mobbed, but who wants to go up to the top of the stars for such a small area, no matter what is up there?

There's no such thing as rent being too high or too low, it is set by the market, and therefore by supply and demand. I would be surprised if in this day and age a card shop was the sort of business that could profit in a high rent location such as JR square. Ryan's painters and other shops have moved on probably for the same reason. I'd say if a few of those shops down by the card company joined together you could get a HMV in there or something like that. Otherwise the units are quite small, which is the other problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully04 wrote:
    Because people were buying books and magazines and weren't really aware of Zhivago's existence?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

c - 13 wrote:
    Have they actually closed or are closing ?
    Shame, wasnt a bad spot but have to concur on their bad location.
    Did they have a closing down sale or anything ?

They've actually closed. No stock left or anything. And i dont think they had a closing down sale since i was there bout 2 days before i heard they closed and everything was normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do people actually buy music in shops anymore?

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aquos76 wrote:
    When did the card company close Sully. Its a shame because they were always a better option than porter or the book centre. Far better value.

Few weeks ago they were closing down so I enquired and thats wat I was told. I only bought cards from them, found the shop a bit expensive!

Advertisement