Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value NAS Drive Enclosure

Options
  • 07-01-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Got one of these in Maplin - reduced to €60. I've hooked it up to my wireless router and am using it to stream my MP3s - haven't tried it with video yet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

:very nice, next trick is to get access to it from myour mates house and stream your mp3 to there:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Funny you should mention that but it can be configured for web access but I think you need a static IP address from your ISP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

set it to the wan ip you have now, you only need a static ip incase you restart your router nd get a new one, but sure you only have to re submit your new ip address anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

digitaldr wrote:
    Funny you should mention that but it can be configured for web access but I think you need a static IP address from your ISP

use these guys and you can use a normal url

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Just a quicky on these devices, as I had some experience over the last two days with these enclosures.

I basically wanted a NAS to work with a streaming multiroom device (A Sonos) for all my mp3's etc, and wanted obviously to go for a decent priced device. Having some spare hard disks, a NAS enclosure was the ideal situation, so:-

Purchased a Netgeare SC101 from PC world on Friday. This is networked hard drive enclosure. Played around with it on Friday, and two issues. One it onle supports recent IDE drives, and secondly it is not actually a NAS, as you need to load specific software on each machine that wishes to connect to it.

No good for my Sonos, as it wont work with it (sonos specifically needs a NAS), so I bought the enclosure the OP mentioned from MAPLIN on Saturday. Took it home, installed my hard drive, hooked it up on my network, set up IP addreses etc, and could see it and write/read to it from other network pc's. All worked great, and was delighted with myself (building something yourself is much more satisfying than taking it off the shelf).

Set up SONOS to talk to it, and then the problems started. Apparrantly, after being on to tech support (SONOS), they told me this device will not work, along with most NAS enclosure devices as NAS enclosures generally do NAS on the cheap and use an older or modified spec of NAS.

Well, I was nearly in tears at this stage, on my second "NAS" and needing a third. Went and got a linkstation from dabs in the end, should arrive this week. I hate waiting for stuff!!

Just thought I would let people know about the issues with the enclosures. Must say though I would have kept the enclosure for other uses (works very well) if I did not need it specifically to work with Sonos.

Wexfordman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I got one of those Maplin NAS boxes last year. Great for the price. Installed a 250GB drive into it. Works perfect on the LAN and ftp over the net.

Im lucky that I have IBB Breeze and a static IP. I just open port 21 on my router and forwarded it to the NAS IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

I see this is on offer again. Thinking of getting one for a mate to transfer contents of old pc HD to his new one and then leave it connected to router for all pc's in the house to access. Anybody else used it or any experience with it? Is it simple enough to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

whisht wrote:
    I see this is on offer again. Thinking of getting one for a mate to transfer contents of old pc HD to his new one and then leave it connected to router for all pc's in the house to access. Anybody else used it or any experience with it? Is it simple enough to use?

Yes got one for €55 last week in Maplin. Simple to set up and works great with my xbox running XBMC :) . Once u have a lan address assigned to it you can that map the drive or any of it's folders to the pc's. Rock solid so far...

Cool. Will pick one up tonight. Thanks for fb

Just as a matter of interest, I picked one up that time and got it for 55
    See its on offer again slightly cheaper if anybody is interested
    Just under the 50 euro mark. €49.49 (Reduced from €98.99)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Advertisement