Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Eircom 1MB to 2 MB, is it worth it?

Options
  • 07-01-2007 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

It's only €5 to go from "Home Starter to "Home Starter Plus", just wondering if someone had made this change and what their experience is of the higher speed. To me it seems like most of the delay comes from the sites and I get a huge diffrence in page load times. Board.ie being one of the slowest for me. A few days ago I was in the local library (4 p.m. Thursday/Friday) to use the scanner and having finished I went to Boards and it loaded faster than I'd ever seen. I checked the speed of the connection online and it was 1.7MB. Was I just lucky or was it down to the faster connection.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I think there are several issues that makes boards.ie slow at times
    - dynamically generated pages (multiple serverside SQL queries to build each page)
    - slow response from adservers at times (if you don't have them blocked)
    - very busy site at times

An increase in download speed probably won't help you with that.

However, in addition to generally faster downloads, the boost in your upload speed from 128kbit to 256kbit will be very useful for sending emails with attachments and other outgoing traffic.

Advertisement