Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GT I-Drive XC 4.0 2006

Options
  • 08-01-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

I have come across on of the for €745 which is a great price for a full suspension bike. Have read a couple of reviews & it scores really well.

Only problem is that the hubs aren't set up to take disk brakes, but the reviews say that the standard Avid brakes are good....

What would it take to put disks onto this bike & is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I came acrosss this the other day, not your exact bike, but still, interesting points..

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/biking/expert/disc_brakes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would definately reccomend disks for a mtb. The single best improvement you can make to your bike imho. You could get away with only having a front one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Bluefoam wrote:
    I have come across on of the for €745 which is a great price for a full suspension bike. Have read a couple of reviews & it scores really well.

Only problem is that the hubs aren't set up to take disk brakes, but the reviews say that the standard Avid brakes are good....

What would it take to put disks onto this bike & is it worth it?

It will take a minimum of 200 euro to put disks on the bike as you'll have to replace the wheels as well as buy the disk brakes.

If you bike off road in the winter, disk brakes are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Simona1986 wrote:
    I would definately reccomend disks for a mtb. The single best improvement you can make to your bike imho. You could get away with only having a front one though.

I'm a bit confused, am only a beginner. I would be more inclined to use a disk on the rear. On my current bike the back wheel locks up on braking & gives poor control. So I end up sliding down the mountain in a random manner. I would fear using the front brake too heavily as it may send me over the handlebars or effect my control of the bike. But I have heard mention before of people using only front disks.

Here is the bike, opinions would be appreciated. I can't find anything similar for that price & I really like the idea of the iDrive system. This bike is slightly above my top end budget...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you're just beginning you might be better off with a hardtail (i.e., no rear suspension). As far as I know it's a good idea to get the 'feel' of MTB and develop skills on a hardtail; you can then move on to a full sus to tackle rougher terrain.

The front brake will always be more effective - remember, your weight moves forward under braking. Use both front and back when descending to control your speed, this should minimise skidding.

• Advertisement

If you're just beginning you might be better off with a hardtail (i.e., no rear suspension). As far as I know it's a good idea to get the 'feel' of MTB and develop skills on a hardtail; you can then move on to a full sus to tackle rougher terrain.

The front brake will always be more effective - remember, your weight moves forward under braking. Use both front and back when descending to control your speed, this should minimise skidding.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I am currently on a hard tail & feel that to get another would be short lived as I would be looking to upgrade again to a full susp after a short time. The bike above seems to be a good spec & should have a good life span. I can make upgrades to it over time (I presume), I have looked at the frame and components & it doesn't differ much from the more expensive bikes (bar the disks).

The next bike up is €970, and the only major difference is the discs, which I should be able to retrofit, 6 months orr so down the line.

Bluefoam wrote:
    I'm a bit confused, am only a beginner. I would be more inclined to use a disk on the rear. On my current bike the back wheel locks up on braking & gives poor control. So I end up sliding down the mountain in a random manner. I would fear using the front brake too heavily as it may send me over the handlebars or effect my control of the bike. But I have heard mention before of people using only front disks.

Here is the bike, opinions would be appreciated. I can't find anything similar for that price & I really like the idea of the iDrive system. This bike is slightly above my top end budget...

As a disc gives improved stopping power (especially in wet/mud) that's exactly why you would need one on the front rather than the rear... If a V-brake is powerful enough to lock-up the rear wheel then adding a more powerful brake is just going to make it easier to do a skid. A disc would of course feel much nicer and is easier to prevent from locking up (due to the feel through the lever) but a v-break is still more than capable of the same stopping power on the rear.
    Going over the handlebars will probably happen you once or twice while you're getting used to a front disc but when you get used to it, it really makes a huge difference.

Thanks for all your responses, I am 90% decided on getting this bike. Does it seem like a good buy for someone up to intermediate level?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15121

It doesn't look bad anyway. I'd even go as far as giving CRC a shout and enquiring about them upgrading to a front disk. It will probably be cheapest if you get it done there and then.

Simona1986 wrote:
    It doesn't look bad anyway. I'd even go as far as giving CRC a shout and enquiring about them upgrading to a front disk. It will probably be cheapest if you get it done there and then.

This seems to be the same bike with disks, I just don't have the budget for it.

The €745 is pushing the budget as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

would you ont consider a good HT like a Kona Caldera all mountian (€800) or Giant XTC cross country (c.€700), REM good full sussers are expensive!

if its mad DH your into, cycological have a few second hand Kona Stinkys! http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride_Full_Suspension/product_123022.shtml might be within your budget! ask for CLiff he knows his stuff there!

all those above are very well spec bikes!

New Question, I'm 6' 3", what size of bike do I need. I notice loads of people my size on 18"ers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

again get measured up in a bike shop if your not very confident! 18-19inch would be fine but arms lenght ect.. and geomtry needs to be considered!

take a peek in the shops and see whats best for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

nah dude your looking at a 20" im only 5'6 and my saddle is up a good bit on my kona which is a 18" also gt have funny sizes and the 20" i-drive is huge, much bigger than any 20" ive tried, the 18" is quite big too.
    discs ant too expensive if you wait and shop round i got deore xt brakes for e150 and disc ready rims for e40 reduced from e170 so take your time, if you go disc go hydraulic, mechanicals aint much better than properly adjusted, decent v-brakes like avid or shimano deore etc.... btw i think the brakes on the i-drive are ike with avid levers????
    btw halfords stock these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Kona frames are pretty tiny size for size in comparision with other brands, a 19in would probably be fine for you but giving it a go is always best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i have ridden 20" gt hardtails and carrera...the i drive 20" is like a 22"

Have ordered the GT I-Drive XC 4.0 2006, they are gonna put some upgraded springs in the front shocks for me.

Looking forward to getting it, gonna head up the mountains this weekend to see if it works. If only I could find some mountains that only had downhill & no uphill bits!

Advertisement