Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flying

• 08-01-2007 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

jus wondering as this is a military forum and the that covers the airforce does any1 no a good pilot training school in ireland

ps sorry if i have posted in the wrong area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

1. Its not the Air Force, Its The Irish Air Corps.
    2. Log on to the Flying Clubs Page on Flying in Ireland, here is the link to the Flying Clubs Page, just scroll down through the Clubs in Ireland to see which one is closest to you and give them a ring etc.

Here is the Link to the Flying Clubs Page:http://flyinginireland.com/flyingclubs.htm

and see

www.flyinginireland.com

for more Information, and see

www.irishairpics.com for information about The Irish Air Corps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesweeney

I take it it's commercial flying your interested in?? And is it fixed wing or rotary? Sorry am a lil late on the replying...
    Anyway I recommend Pilot training college Ireland. Its based in waterford airport...But Im biased as Im training there myself. :) If your interested in rotary Id go elsewhere, Ireland is quite expensive for that. If you want more info gimme a pm, Ive done all the compass pil ab exams etc. If you want to fly as a profession Id recommend getting you class 1 medical first, as if you fail this your ****ed cant fly. I know a few lads who did all there training cost a LOT of money failed the medical on minor faults. To train in Ireland you need to get your medical in dub (mater) its about 600 euros, if your going elsewhere Id go to gatwick for it (thats where I got mine). Its quicker to get in there, £350...I think cant remember.

P.S If you want to fly as a profession. I wouldnt go the flying club route. Waste of time. Most airlines will hire intergrated flyers over modular. Like to see when most hours are done out of one school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

About commercial piltots, not only Ireland is expensive.
    Many people are actually going to the US to pass the qualification on Boeing or so.

Anyway what about the military way ?
    If you want to be a jet fighter in Ireland, what do you have to do ?
    What kind of planes can u fly, and how long it takes ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

mick.fr wrote:
    Thanks

The Irish Air Corps do not Operate any Fighter Aircraft...yet. If you want to join the Irish Air Corps you can go to your local Barracks and get an Application form for a "Cadetship" for the Air Corps, its very tough to get into.

The current Aircraft in the Air Corps Inventory are:

Gulfstream GIV ( MATS Aircraft )
    Learjet45 ( MATS Aircraft, Air Ambulance )
    Pilatus PC9M ( Advanced Turboprop Trainer Aircraft )
    Cessna FR172* ( Utility Aircraft, Surveillance )
    Alouette 3 Helicopters* ( Troop Transports, Medivac )
    AW139 Helicopters ( Troop Transports, Medivac )
    EC135 Helicopters ( Troop Transports, Medivac )
    CASA CN235MPA (Maritime Patrol, Surveillance Aircraft)
    King Air 200 ( Utility Aircraft, Air ambulance )

* Types are being WFU soon.

Garda Air Support Unit:

Eurocopter AS 355N Ecureuil 2
    Britten Norman BN2T-4S Defender 4000
    Eurocopter EC135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesweeney

mick.fr wrote:
    About commercial piltots, not only Ireland is expensive.
    Many people are actually going to the US to pass the qualification on Boeing or so.

Thanks

The thing with training in the US is... If you get a FAA license (American) it costs around $25,000 to convert to a JAA (European) license. Where as going from jaa to faa is pretty much just paperwork and minor expenses. You can of course train with a jaa licensed school in American...lot of money though. Id recommend to anyone who wants to do it, do your ppl & hour building in US save loads of money this way (This is how they work it in Waterford, we go to florida for 8 weeks...Im heading out in 3 weeks time).

Ireland is one of the cheapest places to train in Europe. Spain your talking 100g, england (likes of oxford...well landing fees are huge...imagine the day you'll be doing touch and goes!) You can of course go to greece and get it for around 30 grand... lol But honestly...dont think I trust a course that costs 30g! :)

On the Boeing thing...thats more than likely type rating your talking about Mick. Thats true a lot of people go to the US for the type rating on different aircrafts. Not much difference money wise on that.

Ireland doesnt have any fighter jets by the way.

On the garda air support unit...all pilots currently operating for An Garda Siochana are Air corp pilots.

• Advertisement
Advertisement