Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you've nothing sensible to say then kindly do one.

its true about mark

he's going to have awful pressure to succed at city

and if he goes on a bad spell he could be introuble

thats what happens when a billionaire comes to the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

HEadshot.

Tone it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

CHD wrote: »
    Random comment about transfers and crazy day

You said that earlier, no?

GuanYin wrote: »
    HEadshot.

Tone it down.

i apologies

i shouldnt get work up so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GuanYin wrote: »
    HEadshot.

Tone it down.

and logic it up!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

You said that earlier, no?
    Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hughes in his interview looks like the happiest ****er of all time.

General timeline:
    'Sure I'll join this club, looks good'.
    'Oh god what is this owner doing. He's going to jail, jesus christ'
    'What the **** are they doing selling my players?'
    'Hell yes, I just got an unlimited transfer budget, I think i'll play golf. Hey chairman, can you lash in a bid for Berbatov, Robinho, Gomez, and sure lash one in for Messi, Aguero and see if you can get Mourinho as my number 2'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

OK, ManC's first 22 looking seriously strong (altho LB still a problem and still some question marks over Jo i think)

Hart
    Zabaleta - Richards - Dunne - Ball
    Kompany

Elano ---- Johnson

SWP
    Robinho
    Jo

Schmeichel
    Onuoho
    Garrido
    Gelson
    Haim
    Hamann
    Petrov
    Ireland
    Benjani
    Bojinov
    Vassell

Surely top4 is a must now for 08/09 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

SofaK wrote: »

Surely top4 is a must now for 08/09 ?

Top 4, you are having a laugh. Its looks now like city have a shot at breaking into the top 4 alright. L'Arse and Liverpool might be under threat. Squad looks strong and you obviously have a top class manager. The top 4 have been fairly static for a while now so nice to see a bit of a shakeup to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

:)

What I mean is that top 4 might be something that the new owners stipulated to Hughes or he gets the chop.

I reckon they're a shoe-in anyway for Top 6 along with Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

From mcfc.co.uk -

Robinho joins City

01/09/2008 23:58

Manchester City have made a dramatic late deadline-day swoop for Real Madrid’s Brazilian forward Robinho.

The deal to bring the 24-year-old was completed shortly before the midnight cut-off point, and he has signed a four-year contract.

Robinho, full name Robson de Souza, scored 25 goals in just over 100 games at the Bernabeu, during which time he won two La Liga winner’s medals. He moved to Spain after his attacking talents caught the eye in his home country when with Santos. He has also scored 11 times in 42 caps for Brazil.

He becomes City’s fourth Brazilian player, joining Elano, Jo and Glauber Berti.

Manager Mark Hughes exclusively told mcfc.co.uk, “I am absolutely delighted to get the opportunity to work with such an incredible talent like Robinho. I have said that in order to compete with the best teams in the Premier League we have to be in the market for players of this calibre, and Robinho is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world.

“I am really looking forward to introducing him to the rest of the squad, and to the City fans at the earliest opportunity. This is a real statement of intent as to the ambitions of Manchester City Football Club.”

What a great day!

Strolled into work this morning in the sunshine with 'Acquiesce' blaring on the iPod safe in the knowledge that we are back in the big time! Believe!!!

As Hughes says, Robinho is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1064996_blues_can_be_worlds_richest_club
    Blues can be world's richest club

Yakub Qureshi
    2/ 9/2008

MANCHESTER City is poised to become the world's richest club after its new owners promised to rival the investment of Chelsea billionaire Roman Abramovich.

The backers of the deal were revealed to be the Royal family of Abu Dhabi - one of the world's wealthiest states - who funded the £150m purchase from deposed Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Businessman Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim, who will represent the owners on the board, told the MEN how there were "hundreds of millions of pounds" to invest.

The family is reported to be worth a staggering £500bn pounds - dwarfing the £23bn fortune of Abramovich, whose millions have transformed Chelsea.

Dr Al Fahim, an Arabian property mogul, said: "The club has got a great football stadium and a great history and a strong fan base but it has not had the investment. We can give them that. The club has not been strong for the last few months and we think we can change this situation.

"There is a lot we can do - we will copy what Abramovich did to Chelsea. We will do the same thing. We need to get the players and also better branding for the club. We can raise it to the same profile as Manchester United and beyond."

Priority

He revealed that they may also consider buying the City of Manchester stadium from Manchester Council, although new top class players are their first priority.

And he also guaranteed the future of City manager Mark Hughes, currently enjoying the support of fans as well as a successful run of games.

He said: "We have no plans to change the manager. He is a young manager with a vision and we are going to keep him and support him."

The business mogul, who admitted a "reasonable knowledge" of the English game added: "There is a long list of things to do. We are thinking about purchasing the stadium. Certainly it is a possibility but we want to focus on the players themselves." Asked to allay the fears of fans concerned about short-term investment, he added: "There is an understanding and a desire to improve the club. Like Abramovich we can bring the money to fund this."

"The Premier League is a very valuable asset. We are happy to be part of it. When the possibility of a sale came up we thought this was a big opportunity.

"I was aware of other Premiership clubs and deals being made but with Manchester City there is a real development possibility.

"Football is one of the most popular games in the United Arab Emirates so everyone is aware of the Premiership and its teams."

He added that his group planned to use the coaching expertise at Manchester City to develop players from the UAE where the sport is popular but there is no professional league.

Although Dr Al Fahim played down the Royal connections of the Abu Dhabi United Group Investment and Development, it is widely understood that it is a private investment company for the family.

Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, whose brother Sheikh Kalifa is the ruler of Abu Dhabi, is believed to be a key figure behind the bid for City, which began three weeks ago.

Dr Al Fahim, whose property firm Hydra sponsors Premiership matches on local TV, will play a key role on the new board and will travel to the UK later this week to finalise the deal, which has not yet been confirmed by bosses at City.

Under the arrangement, current owner Thaksin Shinawatra would have an honorary position in the club but effective control would be transferred to the new group.

Journalist Anil Bhoyrul, from Arabian business website, said the new owners were looking to create a global brand worth "billions" rather than make a short term profit.

He said: "Rich lists don't usually include people from Abu Dhabi because it is very hard to guess an estimation of the worth of these people.

Comparison

"Dr Sulaiman isn't the man with the money, he's running the show, but the people behind this are, I would guess, considerably richer than Mister Abramovich.

"If you are doing a comparison then you have a guy far richer than Abramovich running Manchester City."

Frank Kane, a broadcaster and columnist with the Arab Media Group who covers economic issues in the region, said that the "sky was the limit" for future investment.

He told the MEN: "It is not a state-owned company, I would describe it as a private investment by the Royal family. They are fabulously wealthy, every time a barrel of oil goes up by a dollar, they make a billion.

"Dr Al Fahim has sold it to them as a good investment so you are talking about them bankrolling the club for hundreds of millions of pounds."

Manchester United are currently the wealthiest football team in the world, with City ranked 15th in an international rich list.

But the Al Nahyan Royal family is said to be worth a staggering £500bn pounds - dwarfing the £23bn fortune of Russian oligarch Abramovich, whose millions transformed Chelsea after purchasing the club in 2003.

Abu Dhabi is one of seven states which make up the United Arab Emirates. The principality is one of the world's richest states, controlling the majority of the UAE's total oil reserves. Its rulers have ambitious plans to become a business and tourist centre on the scale of its sister state Dubai.

Gulf-based investors have speculated heavily in Western business including, banks and sports clubs, in recent years.

The ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, is currently trying to purchase Liverpool FC through his country's state investment firm.

If this is a dream then I never wanna wake up! :D

What a month for city.....from thinking they might see the same faith as Leeds and have to sell all their top players to being one of the richest clubs in the world with FILTHY rich owners that look very much like they are going to splash out. I couldn't believe the Robinho situation when I woke up this morning.

Not good for Arsenal and my own team Liverpool imo sadly.... these owners want sucess and they will buy it. Why didn't they buy Liverpool off those fecking yanks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Imagine if City had more than one day!

The rumours were that they put in bids in excess of 300m on 6 players (Berb, Robinho, Villa, Gomez, ?, ?)

I'd say the bid on Berb was to throw a big of confusion around Manchester, The January window will be interesting.

I'd imagine they might try and bring in a target striker, and build some strength in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

city are idiots as if they could get villa

come on

no cl
    not a top 4 team

build up the team first and then get the world class players

im putting money on Mark Hughes to be fired first this season

No Villa, but they did get Robinho, that'll do I'm sure :)

The one thing they don't have is the prospect of CL football, which allowed CHelsea to attract some big names. As such, he's probably going to have to buy young prospects mostly and the add crazy person like Robinho.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No Villa, but they did get Robinho, that'll do I'm sure :)

:)

fair play to city

good times ahead for ye if they keep Hughes

PHB wrote: »
    The one thing they don't have is the prospect of CL football, which allowed CHelsea to attract some big names. As such, he's probably going to have to buy young prospects mostly and the add crazy person like Robinho.

The young prospects are already at the club. I predict we concentrate now on signing big boys to go with them.

Come January we'll at least sign -

An experienced goalkeeper to work with Hart (a Friedel type)

A left back

A striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

The young prospects are already at the club. I predict we concentrate now on signing big boys to go with them.

Come January we'll at least sign -

An experienced goalkeeper to work with Hart (a Friedel type)

A left back

A striker

And the rest. I expect to see half a new team in there come January

• Advertisement

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1051948/EXCLUSIVE-Man-Citys-No-10-Robinho-says-hell-best-world.html?ITO=1490
    EXCLUSIVE: Man City's No 10 Robinho says he'll be best in the world

The artist otherwise known as Robson De Souza is giving his first interview since
    becoming the most expensive player in the history of English football.

Within hours he will leave the country again to fly to South America for two World Cup matches, only returning 24 hours before Manchester City play next - against Chelsea.

'I like this fixture as my first game,’ he says with a broad smile.‘ Brazilians are used to playing under pressure. You cannot play for Brazil without understanding how to cope with pressure. It comes with the job. It would be a good game to play well.’

I warn him to expect a ‘welcome to England’ tackle from John Terry. ‘OK, I will look out for it. I’m used to dealing with the physical power of defenders. It isn’t easy in Spain, you know? I’d like to play well for my team-mates and for the supporters and to score two goals.’

He speaks mainly through an interpreter but then breaks into English and says: ‘I have no problem with this!’

He is not short on confidence. ‘I saw the Champions League Final and it was a significant moment. It showed me that the English league is the best in the world. I want to be the best player in the world. I should be playing in this league,’ Robinho told Sportsmail at his London hotel on Tuesday evening.

But at Manchester City? ‘They have shown me their ambition. They are not inferior to Chelsea. They are at the start of their adventure, but I am very happy to be a Manchester City player.

‘When the choice was only Chelsea, of course I was very interested in joining the club. Then a second team made an offer. A better offer. I don’t know if there is a problem between Chelsea and Real Madrid, it is of no interest to me... I am a Manchester
    City player now.’
    Will Chelsea regret failing to clinch the signing? ‘We will have to see my statistics at
    the end of the season,’ he answers.

Whether that makes uncomfortable reading for Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon only owner Roman Abramovich will know. They thought they had the player, they even started selling shirts - but Brazil’s No 10 is now wearing a different kind of blue.

The shirt number awarded by City will make for good business but brings great responsibility to any Brazilian, he explains. It was originally destined for Ronaldinho.

‘After Pele, Brazilians who wear the No 10 shirt have to make a difference in every game,’ he confides. ‘It is your duty to make a difference, to be the playmaker and to entertain.’

He’s watching Sky Sports News when I arrive. There are pictures of celebrating City supporters.

‘I have joined the biggest team in Manchester,’ he says mischievously. Are you reading Fergie?

‘I can already see a relationship with the supporters. I love this reaction. I want to win the championship and the Champions League. This club can be a special place.

‘I am very happy to be here. I know about Mark Hughes. He was a forward, one of the best in the English league. He has played for many big clubs. He knows success.

‘Our meeting was very positive and I feel ready to make a contribution to the team. I want to work hard for my team-mates, for the supporters. Manchester City are a big club.’

Real Madrid’s president Ramon Calderon claimed yesterday that Robinho was here for the money. ‘He has not joined Manchester City for sporting reasons,’ he complained.

The young forward refutes the allegation. ‘I am here for sporting reasons, of course. I consider City no less than Chelsea. They have a bigger ground, they want to make great progress. I am here from the start.

‘They showed their ambition with a bigger proposal than Chelsea. It is not correct what Calderon has said, but I do not want to get into an argument with Real Madrid. My time there is over, I want to talk about Manchester City.’

What will we get for £32.5million? ‘I am fast, I like to run at defenders and I like to score goals,’ he declares. ‘I am not just a goalscorer. I like to create goals for my team-mates. I can score goals too.

Listen, you will see what I can do.’ He was substituted 19 times for Real last season, but defends his record. ‘We played many games and sometimes the coach would make a tactical change to defend the advantage. Don’t hold this against me. It is not a question of a lack of stamina.’

He can sure talk the talk. ‘I have watched Carlos Tevez prove that South American players can be successful in England. We are used to dealing with difficult tackles in South America. Aggressive opponents are not a problem for me.

‘I will need time to adapt and to discover my top form but I want to deliver something special. I want to play for my team-mates, to create something for Jo and Elano (the other two Brazilians at City).

‘Can I thank Doctor Thaksin and the new owners, the Abu Dhabi partnership, in this interview? They have shown great ambition with this transfer.’

He will bring his wife and baby and his parents to Manchester. ‘The whole family are coming to help me settle quickly, to make me feel at home.’

Four City players are heading for South America for World Cup matches, the three Brazilians and Argentina right back Pablo Zabaleta. Robinho has important matches before his Premier League unveiling on September 13.

‘First I have to go to Chile and then Brazil play Bolivia at home. Then I will be back to play against Chelsea - I am very excited.’

So are we.

img_502_11965_6676.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&with=770&hei=439&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

From mcfc.co.uk -
    Robinho exclusive

02/09/2008 19:24

Robinho says that City’s exciting plans for the future helped him decide to make his dramatic deadline-day move to the City of Manchester Stadium.

The Brazilian star has spoken exclusively to mcfc.co.uk today after meeting manager Mark Hughes, and he says that he wants to help the Blues win the Premier League title.

The 24-year-old met with Hughes in London before flying to South America for Brazil’s 2010 World Cup qualifiers in Santiago and Rio de Janeiro, and when asked why he chose to leave Real Madrid and sign for City he said,

“I knew that Manchester City is a very big club, there’s a great team there already and this is an exciting project. I liked the project, and when City made the offer to Real Madrid, I decided to come here. I liked the plans that Manchester City have and I want to succeed with them.”

Tuesday has seen hundreds of City fans turn up at the City of Manchester Stadium, with replica shirts with ‘Robinho 10’ printed on them flying out of the CityStore. When told of the day’s excitement, Robinho replied:

“That makes me very, very happy, and I want to repay this excitement by performing on the pitch, and scoring a lot of goals for the fans.”

There are two familiar faces in the City squad for Robinho, with fellow internationals Jo and Elano already at the Club, something which he says helped him make his decision to come here.

“I play with Jo and Elano in our national team, they are my friends and I know them very well. Having such great players already at City was one of the reasons why I decided to come here.”

And his meeting with Mark Hughes in London today has gone well, with the former Santos star telling us:

“I met with the Manager today and it went very well, I know that he was a great player and I think that will be a big help to me. I want to help the Manager and the team to win the Premier League, that’s my ambition here.”

This is all too much! I've ordered my 'Robinho 10' shirt anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

City till June, Im City till June, I know I am Im sure I am Im City till June.

Actually Im ABL as I have a bet on with luckylloyd that pool wont finish in the top 4, made the day before the transfer deadline, great timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

bohsman wrote: »
    City till June, Im City till June, I know I am Im sure I am Im City till June.

Actually Im ABL as I have a bet on with luckylloyd that pool wont finish in the top 4, made the day before the transfer deadline, great timing.

Should be voided tbh :) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4086922,00.html

ronnie to City... now THAT would be HIGHLARIOUS.

I have to say as a Pool fan i'm worried. It's like Hughes logged onto his PC, threw in the champ manager disc went to the edit team section and went wild! I just wonder will the thoughts of the madness that will be the January transfer window distract city players. Surely most of them are playing for their City careers now...

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4086922,00.html

ronnie to City... now THAT would be HIGHLARIOUS.

There's a thread on that here. The reaction of some United fans is priceless!

I have to say as a Pool fan i'm worried. It's like Hughes logged onto his PC, threw in the champ manager disc went to the edit team section and went wild! I just wonder will the thoughts of the madness that will be the January transfer window distract city players. Surely most of them are playing for their City careers now...

Which is brilliant. Between that and having Hughes as a no nonsense manager there's no chance we will act the bollox like we did in the second half of last season. Some of those performances were unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Completely missed that thread... ah well better edit my post in the united thread so!! ;)

Are you guys in any way worried about what could happen, or is it just total relief given the situation ye were in before the takeover?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Completely missed that thread... ah well better edit my post in the united thread so!! ;)

Are you guys in any way worried about what could happen, or is it just total relief given the situation ye were in before the takeover?

To be honest right now I think we're all still in too big a state of shock to be worried! That will come around late January if we haven't signed anyone and are in the bottom half of the table.

Obviously it's a big risk, bringing in new owners always is. It is, however, a better situation than we were in with Thaksin, who to be fair has done the right thing by the club and for that reason will always be welcome by the fans at our club. He had to go though before the shit really hit the fan.

Last month we were being tipped for relegation, now the talk is all about Champions League spots! Up until last year I never truly believed that I would see us win a trophy in my lifetime, now it is a real possibility. Surely that can only be a good thing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Obviously it's a big risk, bringing in new owners always is. It is, however, a better situation than we were in with Thaksin, who to be fair has done the right thing by the club and for that reason will always be welcome by the fans at our club. He had to go though before the shit really hit the fan.

I know this is the Man city thread but that speaks volumes about the liverpool owners for me - up until the last few days I was starting to see some similarities between the hierarchies at he 2 clubs, but Thaksin for whatever he has done wrong personally and with city has taken the right decision for all parties and has moved on.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I know this is the Man city thread but that speaks volumes about the liverpool owners for me - up until the last few days I was starting to see some similarities between the hierarchies at he 2 clubs, but Thaksin for whatever he has done wrong personally and with city has taken the right decision for all parties and has moved on.

And for that reason he will always be held in high regard by our fans.

He was in a poistion where he couldn't financially support us so he let us go. It was the right thing to do and I for one am grateful he did.

• Advertisement

On another note, this made me smile -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7594793.stm
    "If I want to play for the money, I would accept the Manchester City offer or Chelsea," Berbatov told MUTV.

:D

It feels gooooood to be described that way! Cheers Dimi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

As a red I'm sorry for the uninvited visit :D

Now the dust is settling after Monday's madness , and I have had time to take it all in ,Say The fact this has happen to City really is annoying in a way ,
    However the fact this has happen to the City Fans is a bit of just rewards, Over the last 25 years with all the ups and downs of your club ,people would find it hard to find more loyal and deserving fans , We have all heard the stories of phone calls to secretaries of lower division clubs looking for 5,000 away tickets to be told sorry the hole ground only holds 5,000 .:D etc.Hopefully this loyal support will not be lost and treated right in all the changes that are about to happen .

So in a way congrats.

Now I'm not going soft , COME ON THE 30th Nov , So we can put ye back in yer place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I knew he was rich but 500 billion :eek:. If he splashes the cash in Jan and next Summer it should be good craic to watch. There will definitely be more star signings. There could be outlandish transfer fees as well. Wonder will Roman lose interest in his plaything if the trophies dry up or maybe he will up his outlay as well. Kaka may go for a lot more than 70 mil next Summer if both clubs are involved. Long term Utd are paupers in this whole game. Any trillionaires out there interested ;)

Manchester City
    Ground capacity: 48,000
    Turnover: £56.9 million
    Owner: Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan
    Owner’s estimated potential wealth: £500 billion
    Transfer window spend: £70.5 million
    Chelsea
    Ground capacity: 42,420
    Turnover: £190.5 million
    Owner: Roman Abramovich
    Owner’s estimated potential wealth: £13.2 billion
    Transfer window spend: £24.2 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Looks like Robinhos move isn't going down too well in Brazil!

With Pele saying he needs some "serious counselling", and Santos Club President calling it "one of the most disgraceful episodes in Brazilian football."

"He is a player who is an idol to children, an example. But he has not acted like one."

Santos general manager, Jose Fernandos, had his two cents worth as well, adding: "We are ashamed at having produced such a player."
    Robinho moved to Manchester City on transfer deadline day for £32.5 million, catching everyone by surprise, with Stamford Bridge originally thought to be his likely destination.

The 24-year-old engineered a transfer out of the Bernebeu by staging his own press conference on the opening day of the La Liga season, declaring he wanted a move to the Premier League.

With Luiz Felipe Scolari now managing Chelsea, London seemed the only possible option for Robinho, until City snatched the forward from under the nose of Roman Abramovich on a £6m-a-year deal.

Back in Brazil, many supporters have frowned upon Robinho's antics and choice of club.

Even the player's mother, Marina, has said she does not know why he chose to go to City and reject the chance to play under Scolari.

Despite the fact Real were reluctant to sell to one of their Champions League rivals, the Chelsea deal was still expected to go through.

However, when City announced that they had agreed a fee with Real, and coach Bernd Schuster said the striker had not moved for "footballing reasons", it left those in Robinho's native Brazil believing he had let down his country in favour of a quick buck.

Pele said: "Chelsea are lucky. This boy needs some serious counselling. In my view he has been badly advised."

And the criticism was even more stinging from his former club Santos, whose president, Marcelo Teixeira, said: "This is one of the most disgraceful episodes in Brazilian football.

"He is a player who is an idol to children, an example. But he has not acted like one."

Santos general manager, Jose Fernandos, had his two cents worth as well, adding: "We are ashamed at having produced such a player."

Lol :rolleyes:

I expected this sort of crap. Water off a duck's back tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

come on Xavi, you know he joined for the money, and alot of fans on here have claimed before that they dont want those types of players in their clubs..... will that change for city fans now cause ye have money?

he didnt join for footballing reasons, that is clear. he isnt interested in winning trophies or making himself part of a history. he wants money, quickly. slippery slope for a guy who showed such early promise

im not having a go at you personally btw

i am aware its your biggest ever signing and your gonna be over the moon with it and fair play. but he is a mercenary and he could have a bad effect on the dressing room i feel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dont know if this has been posted already,if it has sorry for the double post.

Man. City owners address the fans

Has any indication come through about when the deal for the club will be finalised?
    Furthermore has any indication come through whether or not they have wiped the debts, or transfered them as personal debts to the owners [or what their intentions are]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Forgive my financial ignorance but i understand the deal to buy City is still at the due diligence stage?

kryogen wrote: »
    come on Xavi, you know he joined for the money, and alot of fans on here have claimed before that they dont want those types of players in their clubs..... will that change for city fans now cause ye have money?

he didnt join for footballing reasons, that is clear. he isnt interested in winning trophies or making himself part of a history. he wants money, quickly. slippery slope for a guy who showed such early promise

im not having a go at you personally btw

i am aware its your biggest ever signing and your gonna be over the moon with it and fair play. but he is a mercenary and he could have a bad effect on the dressing room i feel.

I dislike money grabbin bastards as much as anyone else, and yes there is a great chance Robinho has signed purely based on that.

However, if he plays well enough to justify that money then I don't see there being an issue with the fans. If he sits on his arse, goes missing in games, or has off the field problems then we won't be very happy. Look at how United fans have pretty much welcomed Ronaldo back with open arms. He flirted with one of United's biggest European rivals for an entire summer. Ok nothing came of it but the intention was still there. Will he be booed, jeered etc? Of course not. Why? Beacuse he performs on the pitch. If Robinho comes even close to matching what Ronaldo did all season then he can have every penny he wants.
    Has any indication come through about when the deal for the club will be finalised?
    Furthermore has any indication come through whether or not they have wiped the debts, or transfered them as personal debts to the owners [or what their intentions are]

AFAIK they are just wiping the debts. They bought the club for 200 million or so from Thaksin. We didn't have much debt left anyway after Frank came in.
    Forgive my financial ignorance but i understand the deal to buy City is still at the due diligence stage?

It is yeah as far as I know. Should be only formality though I would think.

On another note, the new owners have organised a private jet for Robinho, Elano and Jo to get them back from Brazil a day earlier than expected before the Chelsea game. Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Say its the January transfer window now, and Hughes was given say 150m to spend, as City fans who would you go for?
    Realistically aswell, I can't see Kaka, Messi Ronaldo etc coming yet anyways?
    I was thinking along the lines of Ageuro, Moutinho, Arshavin etc?
    Exciting times ahead for you City fans anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Newsflash, if he signed for chelsea pre-mourniho he would be in it for the money.

In a year or 2 years time City might (city attract drama) be challenging for the PL, if he wins it he can 'told you so' and people will praise his judgement.

A lot of City fans are sure Diego's gonna come. We were linked with him during the summer and he is big mates with both Jo and Elano (see below)

diegoelanojo.jpg

After that, a left back is priority really. Maybe someone like Chiellini or even Phillip Lahm if we can put the right offer together.

I don't think we would need too much more, though I can see a big name poacher coming in up front. An experienced goalkeeper would be nice to work with Hart. Shay Given?

Xavi, in terms of targets, there is one thing you just don't have, CL football. Money is great and all, but few of the worlds top talents are going to come to City without the offer of CL football. I'd be utterly utterly shocked if Aguero would come now to City without CL football. Lahm is staying with Bayern and not going to go to a non-CL club.

Where City can find players are in complete mercanaries (who can still be great players) / players alienated at their current club desperate to move at all costs (Robinho was a good example, SWP another) / young talent (Aguero, Ronaldo, Messi 3 years ago)

That's the big thing City can offer. Young talented players getting into this team early, everyone knowing that they wil be playing CL football within the next 3-4 years. Ashley Young maybe [although I'd be surprised]? Giovinco? Diego maybe is certainly a possibility?

Established stars just don't see the need. Money isn't everything. And the money these people could get elsewhere is so large that money is barely an issue to most of these people anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

A lot of City fans are sure Diego's gonna come. We were linked with him during the summer and he is big mates with both Jo and Elano (see below)

After that, a left back is priority really. Maybe someone like Chiellini or even Phillip Lahm if we can put the right offer together.

I don't think we would need too much more, though I can see a big name poacher coming in up front. An experienced goalkeeper would be nice to work with Hart. Shay Given?

a world class GK would do wonders, look at the effect Cech had in his first season, and look what happened when they lost him for a few months.

as a Utd fan .. I am scared

Xavi, in terms of targets, there is one thing you just don't have, CL football. Money is great and all, but few of the worlds top talents are going to come to City without the offer of CL football. I'd be utterly utterly shocked if Aguero would come now to City without CL football. Lahm is staying with Bayern and not going to go to a non-CL club.

Where City can find players are in complete mercanaries (who can still be great players) / players alienated at their current club desperate to move at all costs (Robinho was a good example, SWP another) / young talent (Aguero, Ronaldo, Messi 3 years ago)

That's the big thing City can offer. Young talented players getting into this team early, everyone knowing that they wil be playing CL football within the next 3-4 years. Ashley Young maybe [although I'd be surprised]? Giovinco? Diego maybe is certainly a possibility?

Established stars just don't see the need. Money isn't everything. And the money these people could get elsewhere is so large that money is barely an issue to most of these people anymore.

Of course money isn't everything but if we are there or there abouts in either January or May then we will become a very attractive prospect for players.

Tbh I have zero to fear from Liverpool right now. Without Gerrard and Torres they are no better than the likes of Villa and we now expect to be above that. 4th spot certainly has to be the target, if not this season then definitely next.
    hussey wrote: »
    a world class GK would do wonders, look at the effect Cech had in his first season, and look what happened when they lost him for a few months.

as a Utd fan .. I am scared

We already have a wolrd class keeper in the making though. Joe Hart will be England's number 1 this time next year if he continues the way he's going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was just thinking about who would be realistic targets for City and I think Mark Hughes will go after Roque again now that he has this sort of money. I don't like thinking that but it seems like a certainty if not in January then next summer.
    They would probably need to strengthen at centre back as well and as xavi says the most pressing issue would be left back. With the money available now, you might persuade Wayne Bridge to leave his megabucks deal at Chelsea for similar funds and first team football.
    I think in midfield they are strong enough for the moment but would have to pick someone up in the summer as Didi Hamann is getting on.
    I really think you guys will give fourth place a real go this year and as I said in another thread, with all the money available the crucial thing is to be in the mix at Christmas as its clear that you can strengthen in January.
    I can see a lot of players being eager to come to City if it looks like they are going to make the CL next year.
    Even more experienced players might see this as an opportunity to have their name remembered as they would be joining a new team which has never won the European cup/Champions League and has only won the League twice in its history.
    Also the Manager is well respected, he done a good job at Blackburn and is well known throughout Europe having played for United, Chelsea, Bayern Munich and Barcelona. I think it appeals to players to have a manager who has played for the big teams in the top leagues in Europe.

Apparently some lad is making t-shirts with this on it -

comsmock2.gif

I'll be having one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hughes will sadly be sacked by the end of the season.

:confused: Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

:confused: Why?

You won't get top 4 and they will want to bring a 'big' name manager in. It's inevitable that if Hughes doesn't get 4th he is gone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement