Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

go on stevie hope he turns things round:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1080501_irelands_a_superhero
    Ireland's a superhero

MARK Hughes is hoping more of his City players follow Stephen Ireland down the self-help route to success.

Under the Blues boss and his coaching staff, the mercurial midfielder is at last realising his potential and has become a consistent and potent Premier League force.

Six goals this term have already bettered his total of previous seasons, but there is now so much more to the 22-year-old's play.

Hughes has not used Ireland to fill in problem positions and instead released the Irishman's instinct to do what he likes doing best - getting on the ball and making things happen.

In turn, the player has responded by ridding himself of the demons of self-doubt that clouded some of his time under previous managers to stake an early player of the season claim - Robinho or no Robinho!

Superman

From being a virtual cast-off in the summer, Ireland has become one of the first names on the teamsheet and is rapidly becoming a multi-purpose midfielder, popping up all over the pitch for the good of the Blues.

No wonder City fans have readily taken to singing `Ireland is Superman' (a reference to a pair of undershorts he once displayed after scoring) with genuine gusto and feeling.

"The credit needs to go to Stephen," urged Hughes after seeing the player score the double that earned a point for the Blues at Hull.

"What he did in the summer to get himself sharper and stronger was a great example to others and did him a power of good. What we have done since is give him extra work that has enabled him to prosper.

"He embraces everything we are trying to implement and he is reaping the benefits and so are we. Stephen is a great player; a great talent.

"Possibly in the past he hasn't always shown that on a consistent basis but he is doing now. As well as the goals, all the stats that we get show he is right up there when it comes to workrate. In fairness, he could have scored more times this season because he keeps on making the correct runs into the right areas and making space for himself.

"I think he will score lots of goals this season, both the spectacular and the routine. What we have to do is make sure that all the elements of his game complement what we are trying to do as a team."

Leg-end. I reckon he could hit 15 goals in all competitions this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Xavi6 wrote: »
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1080501_irelands_a_superhero

Leg-end. I reckon he could hit 15 goals in all competitions this season.

More like bell-end! Why is he not playing in the Irish squad? I've heard it was bullying. Is that true?

Ireland is Ireland's best player at the moment. Would be nice to see him come back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Can I just say Xavi that sig is absoloutly immense... Might have to have a look can I get one made like it for myself... good stuff mate.

Loco wrote: »
    More like bell-end! Why is he not playing in the Irish squad? I've heard it was bullying. Is that true?

Ireland is Ireland's best player at the moment. Would be nice to see him come back!

maybe because people keep calling him things like bell end. could do with him in the green though. we'd all be saying andy who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he doesnt want to play for his country, its a privelage he isnt interested in so that should be that

Am I right in saying that at the age of 22 he still qualifies for the PFA Young Player of the Year Award? Torres was in it last year wasn't he?

Yeah I am pretty sure as long as you are under 23 you qualify for it. Fabregas won it last year if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

was it last year ronaldo wont both over and underage? or was that the year before? or did that actually not happen and is only in my head because we talked about the possibility on here?

Anyway, yeah Ireland would be a decent shout for young player, but theres a lot of the year left to go.

Ronaldo done the double in the 06-07 season Rebel... Ronaldo won Player of the year and Fabregas won young player of the year for the 07-08 season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Congragulations today lads.
    You deserved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Was one of the lucky ones who was at this. Just home. We didn't even play that well. Arsenal were atrocious though. Great atmosphere afterwards. Probably ruin it all next week as usual though...

_45231337_robinho2_pa416.jpg

It's a gooooood Sunday! :D

ah dont say we played badly, i thought this was a turning point, still if we play badly and win next week i will be well pleased, plus if utd drop any more points they may be out of the title race, that would be sweet. some goal by robinho, class player

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1089082/Hughes-keeping-track-Toure-Man-City-look-set-new-year-shuffle.html?ITO=1490
    Mark Hughes will step up his interest in Arsenal’s £8million-rated defender Kolo Toure as part of a defensive reshuffle in January.
    The Manchester City manager plans to offload three defenders, with Nedum Onuoha joining Blackburn for £3m.

And The Times....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5226078.ece
    Kolo Touré, the Arsenal defender, has emerged as a surprise target for Manchester City for the January transfer window. City's wealthy Arab owners have promised to give Mark Hughes, the manager, whatever funds he needs to strengthen his squad and while they are keen to sign Gianluigi Buffon, the Juventus goalkeeper, they are prepared to support the Welshman in pursuit of proven Premier League players such as Touré, Lassana Diarra and Roque Santa Cruz.

Touré, who has fallen out of favour at Arsenal this season, may be available for the right price in January, but his arrival would raise severe doubts about the future of Tal Ben-Haim, who has failed to impress since joining City from Chelsea in the summer. The takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group in September led to speculation about whether the Israel defender could survive under an Arab regime, but poor form is the reason why Ben-Haim is facing an uncertain future.

City are confident of securing deals to sign Diarra, the Portsmouth midfield player, and Santa Cruz, the Blackburn Rovers forward. The pursuit of Buffon threatens to be more problematic, but Sheikh Mansour, the City owner, has authorised a huge bid that is likely to be put to Juventus soon. Even if they do not succeed in signing him in January, City expect their offer to Buffon and his club to be too much to resist in the long term.

The immediate focus for Hughes is the Uefa Cup match away to Schalke 04 on Thursday, with the manager likely to check on his players' fitness today before deciding whether to rest some of them before the derby match at home to Manchester United on Sunday. He is confident that Robinho, the Brazil forward, will be fit to play at the weekend, if not necessarily on Thursday, having turned an ankle during the 3-0 win over Arsenal on Saturday.

Very interesting stuff.

heard on the radio on saturday that we were interested in buffon for £70m and £250k a week, had to laugh, its no so long ago we could barely afford £250k on transfers never mind wages. interesting times indeed

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_4552444,00.html

Hughes confirms Robinho blow

Brazilian ruled out of Schalke clash

Robinho has not travelled with Manchester City ahead of Thursday's Uefa Cup clash with Schalke but Mark Hughes remains hopeful that he will be fit to face Manchester United at the weekend.

The Brazilian picked up an ankle injury against Arsenal on Saturday and has failed to recover in time for the trip to Germany.

Elano and Pablo Zabaleta have also stayed in England but should be in contention for the Manchester derby.

"We have left Robinho behind. He has to recover from an ankle injury and hopefully he will be OK for the weekend," Hughes told Sky Sports News.

"Elano hasn't travelled. His wife has just had a baby and had a major procedure.

"Pablo Zabaleta has got a thigh strain and we are hoping that will resolve itself by the weekend."
    Transfer talk

Hughes has refused to be drawn on speculation linking a number of top players with moves to City.

City are reportedly interested in signing the likes of Ricardo Oliveira, Kolo Toure, John Terry, Ashley Cole and Kaka in the January transfer window.

City have the financial backing of new owners the Abu Dhabi United Group and Hughes has confirmed that he will be looking to bring in reinforcements.

"We want to bring in good players if they are available but they will be the right players in the right positions to make sure the squad and the team is balanced," he explained.

"You can pluck any names out of the sky but we know what we need to pursue to make us stronger.

"It is a big list (players to be linked with City) and it is getting bigger by the minute. People have to be realistic and when we have news we will tell you."

Away form

Hughes is targeting three points against Schalke but accepts that City's away form has been poor this season.

He said: "We are looking for a positive result. If you pick up points away it helps, although the main thing obviously is to win your home games.

"We obviously go into the match on a high. We had a great result on Saturday (beating Arsenal) and it was a good start to a big week for us.

"On the road we have not been as accomplished as we have been at home. We've looked a little bit suspect defensively on our travels and we are hoping to tighten that up.

"We haven't really been able to have a settled back four for any length of time and that obviously impacts on the rhythm of our play."

Glad to see that having the boys right for Sunday has been made a priority.

City Team against Schalke:

Hart

Richards
    Kompany
    Dunne
    Garrido

Wright-Phillips
    Hamann
    Ireland
    Vassell

Benjani
    Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Add Channel 5 to Sky:

Press Services, go to system Setup, go to Add channels.

Enter 10.773 as Frequency

Change Polarity to H

Change symbol Rate to 22.0

Change FEC to 5/6

Select find Channels, press yellow to store Five

Go to Other Channels to View

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Schalke play some nice football.

Mainly curious to see the Football Manager stalwarts and also to see what opposition United will be facing on Saturday.

Micah Richards is a bloody good defender.

Schalke play some nice football.

but we play nicer :D

and now for something completely different. nice to see brian horton back in the premier league, and doing well with hull. always liked him when he was with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Micah Richards is a bloody good defender.
    Great tackler no doubt about it. But c'mon, his positioning is absolutely shocking.

Perhaps he would be better off at RB.

SofaK wrote: »
    Great tackler no doubt about it. But c'mon, his positioning is absolutely shocking.

Perhaps he would be better off at RB.

agree i think his pace masks his lack of positioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

did he ever sell them stupid looking pink wheels?

• Advertisement

It's his missus' car so doubt it.

First proper pic I've seen of Stevie's back tattoo -

Ireland1_1544584.jpg

not a fan of the tattoo. fulham is a must win tomorrow. two points above relegation, all european aspirations floating out the window, need some good results over xmas and it starts now.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/94795/CITY-TO-LAND-pound52M-VILLA-Mark-Hughes-will-sign-Valencia-striker-in-January.html
    CITY TO LAND £52M VILLA

Mark Hughes will sign Valencia striker in January

By DAVID HARRISON, 06/12/2008
    DAVID VILLA’S record £52million switch to Manchester City will move a step closer when his agent jets into England this week.

The Valencia striker will be City’s first world-class signing in January when the transfer window opens.

City boss Mark Hughes has targeted the Spanish hit-man and the deal has been rubber-stamped by City’s Arab owners.

They are determined to make an impact signing in the transfer window and will take advantage of Valencia’s perilous financial position.

The Spanish side have been hit badly by the global economic crisis and admitted they will be forced to cash in on their major asset in the New Year.

Real Madrid believed they were in pole position but signed £17m Ajax star Klass-Jan Huntelaar in midweek — and City surged ahead when they made it clear they would instantly match Valencia’s asking price.
    Contract

Villa will join Robinho as the Premier League’s top wage earner on £160,000-a-week as City’s Abu Dhabi owners make good on their promise to buy the world’s best.

Reports in Spain claimed City representatives have met twice met with Villa’s agent, Jose Luis Tamargo, in Madrid to discuss the move.

Villa, who turned 27 on Wednesday, has a £125m compensation clause built into his contract at Valencia but the club are so cash-strapped they have been forced to waive that in the face of City’s interest.

And while he signed a new contract in the summer which ties him to Valencia until 2014, he knows he has no option but to move on.
    Impressed

He said: “I will stay at Valencia for as long as the president wants me. If he tells me I have to be sold to save the club, then that is his decision and I’ll look for a fresh challenge.”

Villa was the top scorer at Euro 2008 with four goals and is also second top scorer in La Liga behind Samuel Eto’o.

A source close to the deal said: “It is clear City need a world-class striker and Villa fits the bill.

“The Arabs have been impressed with him and Mark Hughes is convinced he will do well in English football.

“His agent will be flying in on Tuesday and there is every chance talks and a deal will be concluded by the end of the week.”

Please God let it be true.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Don't want to piss on the parade, but a Villa transfer has Madrid written all over it. I wouldn't be surprised to see City left in the lurched with this one, like they we're with Berbatov.

Still, these are nice problems to have, and great times to be a City fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Really would be a shame if David Villa left Valencia, I don't see Man City breaking into the top 4 for at least 4 more seasons (quote me on that if you like) and since Villa is in the top 3 strikers in world football, he needs to be taking a step up from Valencia, not down...

Charlie, it's doubtful he'll go to Madrid if City are really offering 60 million euro, Madrid are in 500 million euro's of debt, and are just after buying a striker. They may have splashed out 50, but not 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eZe^ wrote: »

Charlie, it's doubtful he'll go to Madrid if City are really offering 60 million euro, Madrid are in 500 million euro's of debt, and are just after buying a striker. They may have splashed out 50, but not 60.

Have they not got another training ground they can swap for a king's ransom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That's a very believable rumour (by the standards of such things) given Valencia's reported financial troubles.

Have they not got another training ground they can swap for a king's ransom?

Hahaha, maybe the Madrid city council can lend them a few bob, instead of fixing the pot-holes around the bernabeu... :pac:
    That's a very believable rumour (by the standards of such things) given Valencia's reported financial troubles.

Agreed, that's the problem, Valencia really need money, so the president will be looking for every penny he can. That means that the calibre of the club is definitely going to be overlooked if City are willing to give them 60 -70 million euro.

Well sure didn't City offer a fair whack more for Berba than United did. City can outbid teams all day, but until they start becoming a credible destination for the top tier of payers, these outlandish bid are just distractions from the real deals.

We all know what happens to Madrid's debt. ;) Sooner rather than later a natural successor for Raul is needed, and I don't see that being KJH. Villa could though, and players of that calibre come on the market very rarely.

Agreed, that's the problem, Valencia really need money, so the president will be looking for every penny he can. That means that the calibre of the club is definitely going to be overlooked if City are willing to give them 60 -70 million euro.

Yeah but if Villa doesn't want to go to City, then he doesn't get a dime. That's why I can only see them negotiating with teams that they know are a credible buyer for the player, as well as for the club.

What's the point in wasting weeks negotiating with City, where the likes of Madrid may spunk their money on another player, when everyone knows Villa won't go there. That leaves Valencia with an even bigger problem.

Well sure didn't City offer a fair whack more for Berba than United did. City can outbid teams all day, but until they start becoming a credible destination for the top tier of payers, these outlandish bid are just distractions from the real deals.

We all know what happens to Madrid's debt. ;) Sooner rather than later a natural successor for Raul is needed, and I don't see that being KJH. Villa could though, and players of that calibre come on the market very rarely.

I know what you're saying, but the reason for Berba's transfer and Villa's are different. Berba wanted a new challenge, and was basically sick of the lane, the Spurs president would have liked to have sold him to city for the extra money, but ultimately the final decision was up to Berbatov, who picked a club that was a step up.

In the Valencia situation, Valencia are in debt, club ruining debt, the president realises this and knows that he has to sell his most valuable players, and get as much money as they can. Villa himself said in that column that he would leave if it meant saving the club. I think Villa, understanding the situation, would leave for City knowing that his old club would be getting an extra 15-20 million euro's than if he picked Barcelona, Madrid or any other European heavyweight.

Ribery also being linked today for £20 million.....

Ribery also being linked today for £20 million.....

Jesus Christ, soon enough Man City's B - team will be better than any other team in the world.

Team A;

Buffon

--Alves----Ferdinanand----Nesta---Clichy--

Xavi
    Senna

Kaka

Messi
    Villa
    Ronaldo--

Team B;

Casillas

--Maicon
    Carvalho---Vidic
    Evra

Mascherano

Iniesta
    Sneijder

----Ribery
    Eto'o
    Zarate--

You could have the Inter-City cup tie twice a year, and the winner would then be the Man City first team, and the losers the reserves. All for the low low price of 4 billion euro.

In the Valencia situation, Valencia are in debt, club ruining debt, the president realises this and knows that he has to sell his most valuable players, and get as much money as they can. Villa himself said in that column that he would leave if it meant saving the club. I think Villa, understanding the situation, would leave for City knowing that his old club would be getting an extra 15-20 million euro's than if he picked Barcelona, Madrid or any other European heavyweight.

Can't see that myself. Villa may hold strong affections for the club, but I can't see him drastically reducing his ambitions chances of top silverware, so Valencia get another 10 or so million. You only get one carear as a footballer, and it would be incredibly foolish for Villa to squander his playing Uefa cup football, all because Valencia could do with another 10 or so million.

Sorry Xavi for making out City are some sort of ugling duckling. I genuinely think they will push on under the new ownership, but I can't see them breaking the top 4 for at least 3 seasons, and even then, I can't see them challenging for owt for another good while after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Taking Man Citys current roster and adding around 5/6 max names to the list of the ilk that they have been linked to but the slightly more feasible ones they could have a side like this after Jan/Summer atleast:

....................................................Buffon(Hart)..................................

Richards(Zabaleta)......Kompany(Dunne)........Kolo Toure(Ben Haim).......Bridge

.................................................Diarra(Kompany)....................................

SWP/Robinho/Elano....................Elano/Ireland/Robinho...........Robinho/Podolski

...................................................Villa(podolski)........................................

with these guys in reserve: JO, Sturridge, Petrov, Ball/Garrido, Schmeical
    and these to be sold/leave: Felipe Caicedo, Darius Vassell, Gelson Fernandes, Nedum Onuoha, Ched Evans, Dietmar Hamann, Valeri Bojinov

I really dont think it will take City four years to become a CL team if they plan on splashing the cash like it seems, instead i think in one years time they will be competing for it and in another year at latest they will secure a big 4 (which im sure will be renamed the big 5) spot.

Taking Man Citys current roster and adding around 5/6 max names to the list of the ilk that they have been linked to but the slightly more feasible ones they could have a side like this after Jan/Summer atleast:

....................................................Buffon(Hart)..................................

Richards(Zabaleta)......Kompany(Dunne)........Kolo Toure(Ben Haim).......Bridge

.................................................Diarra(Kompany)....................................

SWP/Robinho/Elano....................Elano/Ireland/Robinho...........Robinho/Podolski

...................................................Villa(podolski)........................................

with these guys in reserve: JO, Sturridge, Petrov, Ball/Garrido, Schmeical
    and these to be sold/leave: Felipe Caicedo, Darius Vassell, Gelson Fernandes, Nedum Onuoha, Ched Evans, Dietmar Hamann, Valeri Bojinov

I really dont think it will take City four years to become a CL team if they plan on splashing the cash like it seems, instead i think in one years time they will be competing for it and in another year at latest they will secure a big 4 (which im sure will be renamed the big 5) spot.

I see it as a chicken/egg kinda thing. I can't see the likes of Buffon and Villa coming to City when they don't have Champions League football/a credible title challenge to offer, but then I can't see City getting these things without those players.

Liverpool seemed to have finally pushed on, and United and Chelsea will always be up there with their spending power. The only viable target for City is Arsenal, but even then, I think Wenger will pull a few rabbits out of his hat like he always does.

Also, there is Villa (the team) to consider. If they can make 2 or 3 good signings, they could finally make the next step up. They have assembled an excellent core group of players over the last 3 or so years. Another year or two of similar progression, and they will be another road block for City to worry about.

But like I said, I see the biggest problem for City being the ability to attract top players. They should be able to attract those second tier players, but with those, I see it being a long term progression. And even then, that will only work if the Owners/fans accept this, and don't get on the team/managers back because they can't see short term success.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Trust me i consider Villa, being a fan and all but i expect City to be our competition next year in trying to break the top 4/stay 5th. but if even one or two of the stars a la robinho sign along with the more believable one like Diarra sign then city could have a real quality set up from the get go.

and the two star players i mentioned, Buffon and Villa might be exceptions. I remember seing something on here with quotes from Buffon about him being linked to a big money and wages move to City where he said something like if his club accepted such figures he would have to tell his agent hed be interested.

and Villa from the sounds of things might just do the best thing for his club and if city get an offer of say 50m accepted for him and Real can only bid say 35-40m then whats to make them accept that bid.

Lol just saw pics of the City Christmas party. I won't be posting them up cause Superman will get lynched again!

Lol just saw pics of the City Christmas party. I won't be posting them up cause Superman will get lynched again!

You can't say something like that and not give pics or at least a link...

Ha ha oh yes I can! I'm not giving people more ammunition to slate to guy for basically going out and having a good time on his day off. It's not needed.

Ha ha oh yes I can! I'm not giving people more ammunition to slate to guy for basically going out and having a good time on his day off. It's not needed.

You can tell me, I'm a fan of the guy

They're on Facebook. That's all I'm sayin.

They're on Facebook. That's all I'm sayin.

Bah! I'm not on facebook, and not bothered searching for them.
    I'm sure they'll crop up sooner rather than later so someone can have a go at him...

• Advertisement

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2008/12/08/Prem-Robinho-on-Aguero/gnid-30609/
    Robinho excited by transfer talk

Robinho has admitted he is excited by the transfer talk surrounding Manchester City, with the Brazilian hopeful the club will lure Argentine superstar Sergio Aguero to Eastlands.

City have been linked with the cream of the crop following the takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Mark Hughes has attempted to rein in speculation by saying he will look to bring in players who will fit in with his project rather than cherry picking big names.

Robinho, though, clearly has his eyes trained on the best available – with Atletico Madrid star Aguero and Milan sensation Kaka capturing his imagination.

He said: “Sergio and Kaka are fantastic players and Manchester City have a very exciting project developing.

“If either of them came to the club it would be good for the team and I’d be very happy.

"Aguero is an excellent footballer who is having a lot of success with Atletico Madrid.”

3.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement