Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i think City's biggest obstacle to becoming a big force will be having the right manager in place. It may be Hughes, but he's yet to show any indication that it will be. Relegation form with the squad he has is disgraceful frankly.
    If Hughes goes, I could see the board going for someone with a big and perhaps undeserved reputation (a la Klinsmann and the Liverpool board) which could be disastrous.
    But get in Mourinho or Hiddink and the sky's the limit.

God i hope it all goes wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Alright pics of the Christmas bash are everywhere now so might as well stick a few up -

Dunne -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_7_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

Richards -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_4_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

Hamann -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_2_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

Jo -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_1_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

Johnson -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_3_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

Ireland -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

Schmeichel -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_6_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Jo -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_1_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978

He looks special...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Alright pics of the Christmas bash are everywhere now so might as well stick a few up -

Dunne -

Johnson -

C_71_article_1084200_image_list_image_list_item_3_image.jpg?08%2F12%2F2008%2016%3A52%3A29%3A978
    see johnson is turning gangster

is the theme white ?
    Frisbee wrote: »
    He looks special...
    for 19 million he'd want to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Johnson definitely spilled something on his pants.

• Advertisement

is the theme white ?

Lol whatever gave you that idea?! :p

Some good news greeting me today - The Mail, who are very reliable when it comes to City news, say that the Diarra and Santa Cruz deals are done and dusted.

Also a source who has proven accurate in the past (knew SWP was going to come back before anyone else) says that Villa will be joining. Madrid put in an offer but Villa rejected it as he didn't want to move to a rival of Valencia. We were the only ones to top their offer so (reluctantly!) it's been accepted.

We shall see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Some good news greeting me today - The Mail, who are very reliable when it comes to City news, say that the Diarra and Santa Cruz deals are done and dusted.

Also a source who has proven accurate in the past (knew SWP was going to come back before anyone else) says that Villa will be joining. Madrid put in an offer but Villa rejected it as he didn't want to move to a rival of Valencia. We were the only ones to top their offer so (reluctantly!) it's been accepted.

We shall see...

All that being true = you 3.gif

We shall see...
    dam u :D

i can see Diarra and Santa Cruz going there but for the life of me, i can't see villa going there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

they all look like people i never want to meet.

Dietmar, what have they done to you?

Dietmar, what have they done to you?

I think he was corrupted long before us. After all, didn't he come from the club that spawned the Spice Boys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Jo -

Looks like a crack dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Johnson -

Looks like Johnson has been working hard while out injured....

City shirts from the Munich derby are currently up for auction. Some big bids received so far and all the money goes to charity. Great opportunity to own a piece of history.

Link

City shirts from the Munich derby are currently up for auction. Some big bids received so far and all the money goes to charity. Great opportunity to own a piece of history.

Link

wow some bids there fair play to them

i see Benjani derby day commemorative shirt is 900 pounds,

but id say Ireland will get the highest price in the end

No more Villa for city ?

Valencia Given Massive €40 Million Cash Boost

Christmas has come early for Valencia after it was announced that close to €40 million will be pumped into the club immediately.

Just as Valencia were bracing themselves for a bleak Christmas, the club board have delivered some good news to their fans after revealing that they have successfully acquired a massive cash injection to help curb their immediate economic crisis.

Rumoured to be on the verge of a financial collapse, club president Vicente Soriano had assured last week that the situation was not as grim as the reports had made it out to look and that Los Che had a sound back-up plan in the works.

And that plan was unveiled yesterday when sources at the club told EFE news agency that Valencia will receive a combined sum of around €38 to €40 million from numerous entities, including financial organisations, foreign investors as well as advanced sponsorship deals.

The money will be used to clear off immediate debts and help solve the short-term financial crisis to ensure that the player wages are paid and there are significant funds for continuous club development.

The latest cash injection could see Valencia turn away the colossal offers they have received for some of their star players, namely David Villa.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1719/valencia/2008/12/10/1004945/valencia-given-massive-40-million-cash-boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

id take diarra instead anyway, were not short of strikers or attacking players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

bigstar wrote: »
    id take diarra instead anyway, were not short of strikers or attacking players

Not sure I'd agree with that. Was at the PSG game.. front line of Vassell and Jo must have seriously frightened them!!

Surprisingly it ended 0-0

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd agree with that. Was at the PSG game.. front line of Vassell and Jo must have seriously frightened them!!

Surprisingly it ended 0-0

fair point, no goals in the last three home games is fairly crap, but weve gone from banging in goals to not in a month, ive no clue why. vas is no striker, jo looks poor, benjani is out now, rob is hot and cold but this hasnt changed in a month, i hate this phrase but its typical city. one proven striker would do nicely, but id like to see evans and sturridge get more games now til jan. then we can buy santa cruz, kaka, villa, messi, podolski, torres, ibrahimovic, aguero, eto'o and del pieros back on form too, stick buffon in goal and its 11-10 all the way to may.

I really don't know where we go from here. Right now there are fans calling for Hughes' head, and based on results it's hard to argue, but I really can't handle another managerial change.

I dont think that the arabs have any intention of keeping Hughes long term. If you just bought the club and splashed the huge sum on Robinho and planning to make several more expensive signings then I reckon they will want a top class manager to go with it.

I would give Hughes till the end of the season at the most then he will be in for the chop. They will look to bring in a top class foreigner no doubt. Mancini or someone of the likes.

• Advertisement

i hope he gets till the end of the season at least, i couldnt stand another manager merry go round. hughes has gone from one of the PL top prospects to fairly crap in 6 months, i dont think thats possible. the league is very close this year, we have to improve eventually. were still in europe, 6 points off 8th, its easy to forget how crap we were in the second half of last season, were still that crap. fcuk the superstar signings, fcuk the lofty ambitions, get in someone like diarra and stop giving the ball away, and will someone tell gary cooke to shut up about being a brand and ****

15/12/2008 12:38

Espanyol Want City To Help With Elano Wages

Elano has been offered to Espanyol for the second half of the season in a loan deal by Manchester City, but the Blanc i Blau cannot afford to pay all his salary and are hoping to reach a deal.

Espanyol are hoping that Manchester City will pay some of Elano's wages so that they can accept the offer to take the player on loan for the second half of the season.

The Catalan outfit are keen to sign the player in January after it was revealed that the Premier League club had approached them about a possible temporary switch, according to Sport.

But Elano's earnings over six months would be more than €2 million and Espanyol cannot afford that kind of outlay and are hoping to hold further talks with Manchester City.

Lazio have also registered their interest in the Brazilian playmaker, but he has reportedly told his agent that he prefers the idea of moving to the city of Barcelona.

Under Mark Hughes this season Elano, whose full name is Ralph Elano Blumer, has seen his chances of playing regularly limited; and with several new signings expected at the cash-rich English club, he is seen as surplus to requirements.

When Sven-Gorän Eriksson signed the 27-year-old in August 2007 for around €10 million from Shakhtar Donetsk, he had immediate effect.

Depsite becoming a fans' favourite, his late return to pre-season because of international commitments has left him unable to claim a regular place in Hughes' team.

Espanyol are looking to bolster their squad in the winter market and new coach Mané would be delighted to add the experienced midfielder to his ranks to add creativity in the absence of the often-injured Iván De la Peña.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1201/espanyol/2008/12/15/1013220/espanyol-want-city-to-help-with-elano-wages

The start of the city clear out to make way for the new world class signings ?

gary cook is talking down the big signings and said we wont be held to ransom. also reckons sparky is still the man. i just cant wait for february and the end of all this transfer stuff, it was exciting, now its just annoying, partly caused by the performances too i suppose. good to see blackburn should have a new manager just in time to play us, newcastle, spurs now blackburn, why cant we play them when theyre still crap.

good to see blackburn should have a new manager just in time to play us, newcastle, spurs now blackburn, why cant we play them when theyre still crap.

+1

Always seems to happen. If a team hasn't won for two years they play City and...

If a super striker is stuck in a 20 game scoring drought and then he plays City....

If a club has been playing rubbish football for an eternity then they play City...

If a striker is stuck on 99 goals......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Looks like you guys will lose out on Diarra, the exact player you need IMO.
    Unless he's driven by big wages which I think he might be just a little...

anyone know if were on telly tomorrow night.

I'm afraid we aren't so it'll have to be streaming.

• Advertisement

Great little Christmas vid here which includes a special edition of the crossbar challenge. Looks like good craic (Listen out for Ned and Logan's comments. Quality!) -

http://www.live4city.co.uk/christmas08/

i didnt know vas was a striker

And apparently he's left footed.

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    And apparently he's left footed.

He always was left footed but unlike most others he has two of them.

with all the talk of elano and others going in january, i cant believe vas is still with us. i dont think he does anything for us, hes just an extra man on the pitch.

But he puts in a good shift!!!!

• Advertisement

so do i, you should see me, i run up and down the pitch, i dont look for the ball, i dont try to pass, shoot or tackle, i look around depressed, and if im one on one with the keeper, i forget what im supposed to do

I see we're getting a new sponsor for next season. Thomas Cook are gonski.

etihad. not mad on the idea of 'united' being on our jersey

came across this on SSN

Santa Cruz drops Rovers hint
    Striker Roque Santa Cruz has dropped his biggest hint yet that he wants to leave Blackburn Rovers in the January transfer window.

The Paraguay international has been the subject of intense speculation this season following a spectacular debut campaign in England following his move from Bayern Munich in the summer of 2007.

Manchester City, under the stewardship of ex-manager Mark Hughes, have been consistently linked with a move for the talented 27-year-old hit-man following their takeover by the Abu Dhabi Group.

While Santa Cruz is thankful for Blackburn helping him rediscover his best following an up and down spell in Germany, he hopes Rovers will not stand in his way if a big-money offer is tabled come the New Year.
    Ambitions

"Everybody knows my opinion (regarding a possible transfer), I am happy at Blackburn but also I want to keep improving my football and remain ambitious," he stated.

"My contract with Blackburn is clear and for that I need to continue with the club. But I am looking to again play in a big side that is in Europe and trying to win their league.

"I have to say the people here at Blackburn are fantastic, I am very happy with the fans. But, I don't want to miss the chance of playing with a big side. If a bigger club came in for me then I would like to take that opportunity.

Hard decision

"I also understand the interests of Blackburn as well and they do not want to lose players. I want to watch out for myself but I have to think of Blackburn. It is a very hard decision."

Hughes brought Santa Cruz to England during his time at Ewood Park and the striker, who has three Premier League goals this season, has admitted his former boss knows how to get the best out of him.

"It is clear that he got me back to my (best) football after my injury problems at Bayern," he continued.

"He gave me confidence to play football again. Of course it is always a nice feeling to have a manager who is always backing you and I will always appreciate what he did for me."

Great little Christmas vid here which includes a special edition of the crossbar challenge. Looks like good craic (Listen out for Ned and Logan's comments. Quality!) -

http://www.live4city.co.uk/christmas08/

For the info of all but particularly GuanYin;58306731 (at least I think it was you I noticed talking of going to Copenhagen on another forum) check the official site cause they are talking of switching the tie with City possibly at home first. They are advising us not to make travel arrangements yet. Pity really as I nearly snagged a return trip for the princely sum of €0.00 including taxes and charges but the glitch cured itself before I could confirm.

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    For the info of all but particularly GuanYin;58306731 (at least I think it was you I noticed talking of going to Copenhagen on another forum) check the official site cause they are talking of switching the tie with City possibly at home first. They are advising us not to make travel arrangements yet. Pity really as I nearly snagged a return trip for the princely sum of €0.00 including taxes and charges but the glitch cured itself before I could confirm.

Flights are already booked mate. just like many others. I saw that announcement today and I'm not one bit happy. They only €50 but even still it's a pain in the arse if we cave in and play the first leg at home.

Typical City, nothing is ever straight forward.

who you flying with xavi, ryananir and aerlingus dont go to copenhagen as far as i can see

who you flying with xavi, ryananir and aerlingus dont go to copenhagen as far as i can see

Ryanair fly to Billund which is about an hour from Copenhagen.

redout wrote: »
    Ryanair fly to Billund which is about an hour from Copenhagen.

Yeah I'm going Ryanair to Billund but it's actually 3 hours from Copenhagen. Renting a car and driving there and back. Going out Wednesday, back Thursday (if it goes ahead).

There's room in the ca for anyone headin over!

Yeah I'm going Ryanair to Billund but it's actually 3 hours from Copenhagen. Renting a car and driving there and back. Going out Wednesday, back Thursday (if it goes ahead).

There's room in the ca for anyone headin over!

You should have flown Sas direct to Copenhagen from Dublin. I am looking at it and getting €130 return .Would have cut out all the 6hrs travelling and saved on the car rental.

You should have flown Sas direct to Copenhagen from Dublin. I am looking at it and getting €130 return .Would have cut out all the 6hrs travelling and saved on the car rental.

Where's the fun in that?! :D

€50 return was quite pleasing so I just said feck it. Not too much to lose should the game be moved.

Where's the fun in that?! :D

€50 return was quite pleasing so I just said feck it. Not too much to lose should the game be moved.

aye. If you get a few in the car you should have good craic. A good ol jolly boys road trip.:)

aye. If you get a few in the car you should have good craic. A good ol jolly boys road trip.:)

Yeah at the mo it's myself and the oul lad. Haven't seen him in nearly two years so be good to catch up. It's €146 for VW Fox or Golf for the two days so not too bad. Means we can drive to a few things around Copenhagen as well.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1086702_snubbed_elano_set_for_city_exit
    Snubbed Elano set for City exit

ELANO could be on his way out of City after being banished from the squad that lost 2-1 at West Brom.

The Brazilian midfielder was left kicking his heels at home after a bust-up with boss Mark Hughes.

City's chief was said to be angry with the 27-year-old's UEFA Cup performance in Santander on Thursday night.

And he finally ran out of patience with Sven Goran-Eriksson's £8m capture when he put in a lacklustre effort in training on Saturday.

Witnesses say words were exchanged and the squad named without last season's top scorer in it.

Club officials were also said to be suspicious when fellow Brazil star Jo trained but then phoned in sick and missed the coach to the Midlands. He later arrived under his own steam.

Injury

Robinho, described as a brother by Elano, missed the game through a nagging ankle injury that was aggravated in the game at Santander.

It is the second time that Elano has fallen foul of the manager this season having given a television interview complaining of his lack of game time that angered many at Eastlands. He had been left out of the side for a short spell - two games - at the beginning of November.

After that the two men met in Hughes' office and the manager seemed to have offered a significant olive branch when Elano was named on the bench at Hull and subsequently selected from the start for the European games against Paris and Real Racing Club and the Premier League clash with Everton.

But he failed to shine in any of them and unless he has a change of attitude he looks destined to leave in the January window with Spanish side Espanyol and Italians Lazio heading the queue for his services.

Elano, whose previous coach at Shakhtar Donetsk is believed to have phoned City to warn them the Brazilian was only happy when playing, has started 16 league and cup games this season and scored four times.

Israeli international Ben Haim also found himself out in the cold at the Hawthorns with England Under-21 international Nedum Onuoha given the role of understudy to Micah Richards and Richard Dunne.

Seems to be a case of 'it's him or me' for Elano. Doesn't get on with Hughes and his attitude lately has been disgraceful.

On the flip side he was our top scorer last season and a great player on his day.

Unfortunately that day is not very often these days. He was great to watch last season but he doesn't even look interested now. As for Jo......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement