Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

bigstar wrote: »
    id take diarra instead anyway, were not short of strikers or attacking players

could i have been more wrong, cant defend, cant score. awful game on sunday. keep hoping hughes is going to turn it round, looks less likely every week. do you think its the pressure of being a 'bigger' club and the prospect of new players coming in, if thats the case we should be laughing for the second half of the season :D (i doubt it though)

Whats the story with Michael Johnson, ive been hearing stuff about him being on the gargle and that since he was injured, he was supposed to be back ages ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apparently Jonno is a regular on the Manchester club scene and fancies himself as a Big Time Charlie. Not sure if he'll ever fulfill his potential.

On a more positive note, the Copenhagen game is officially on the 19th of February so my flights are still good.

Good news!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1101727/Spains-midfield-anchorman-Senna-gives-City-boost.html?ITO=1490
    Spain's midfield anchorman Senna gives City a boost

By Ian Ladyman

Last updated at 8:54 PM on 25th December 2008

Marcos Senna, who anchored Spain's success at Euro 2008, has given Manchester City a boost by saying he is ready to join the club next month.

Sportsmail revealed the 32-year-old as the player City manager Mark Hughes wants after the collapse of a deal for Portsmouth's Lassana Diarra.

The Villarreal midfielder said last night he was aware of City's interest and was ready to play in the Barclays Premier League.

He said: 'I have heard about the big project at City and I'm flattered by their interest. The Premier League is a big league and I am interested in the challenge.

'It is complicated leaving Villarreal because I am excited by the season and we are still involved in the league and the Champions League. 'It would take an enormous proposition by City for me to leave but it is not impossible.'

Senna was coveted by Sir Alex Ferguson two years ago prior to Owen Hargreaves' arrival at Manchester United. It would take a lot of money to prise him from Villarreal but Hughes has identified a holding midfield player as a key position to strengthen next month. A City scout ran the rule over Senna and keeper Diego Lopez at Villarreal's La Liga game against Barcelona.

Villarreal sporting director Jose Luis Llanez said: 'We have received no formal offers but in football nothing is impossible. 'If we get a big offer we would consider it.'

Brazilian-born Senna has a contract until the summer of 2010.

Ehhhhh yes please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

He'd be a class signing. But em why exactly are Man City entrusting Mark Hughes to splash out their fortune? He has done a woeful job with quite a good squad of players, so why give him more money to spend? The obvious solution is obviously to boot him out and get someone experienced with managing top quality players, or give Hughes some time to prove himself with what the resources he currently has at his disposal.

There are two scenarios -

1. Sack him now and let the new man spend in January.
    2. Let Hughes spend in January and give him til the summer to sort things out.

I predict the latter, rightly or wrongly.

I'd never normally be pro sacking a manager this soon, but if City are going to splash out this kinda money, it really can't be entrusted to the man who had them in the relegation zone at Christmas time. And it is hardly as if he hasn't had the chance to make his mark on the team. Jo(was he a Hughes signing though?), Wright Phillips, Kompany, Caicedo, Robinho, and Zabaleta. Terrible job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

DSB wrote: »
    Wright Phillips, Kompany, Caicedo, Robinho, and Zabaleta. Terrible job.

definately good signings anyway.

Definitely not good signings for his plan for Man City, whatever it is. Or else they wouldn't be 18th in the league.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    I'd never normally be pro sacking a manager this soon, but if City are going to splash out this kinda money, it really can't be entrusted to the man who had them in the relegation zone at Christmas time. And it is hardly as if he hasn't had the chance to make his mark on the team. Jo(was he a Hughes signing though?), Wright Phillips, Kompany, Caicedo, Robinho, and Zabaleta. Terrible job.

Firstly, Caicedo was signed by Eriksson last January, and has two goals in his last two games.

Secondly, the deal for Jo was done before Hughes came in.

As for the others, SWP, Zabaleta, Robinho and Kompany have been our 4 best players along with a rejuvenated Stephen Ireland, who credits Hughes for helping him a lot. It has been the likes of Dunne, Richards, Hamann, Elano, Gelson, Vassell and Benjani who have been playing poorly and letting us down. None of them were signed by Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Senna is an immediate solution but at 32, surely he is only a short term solution?

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Firstly, Caicedo was signed by Eriksson last January, and has two goals in his last two games.

Secondly, the deal for Jo was done before Hughes came in.

As for the others, SWP, Zabaleta, Robinho and Kompany have been our 4 best players along with a rejuvenated Stephen Ireland, who credits Hughes for helping him a lot. It has been the likes of Dunne, Richards, Hamann, Elano, Gelson, Vassell and Benjani who have been playing poorly and letting us down. None of them were signed by Hughes.

My mistake on the Caicedo thing. But I think you are missing my point with the signing to be honest, I'm not trying to claim that those werent good signings, moreso criticising the fact that he was able to sign players of that calibre and still be languishing in the relegation zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

half heard a story about a man city player this morning who thought he wasnt in the team, didnt turn up, then was told he was in the team but by the time he got to the stadium he was dropped for being too late or sum such! could someone clear this up for me? thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Has anybody seen Ireland's tats yet??? Dunno what he was thinking there, but he's hardly sane!

DONEmikeegertonempics-2560.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not even original, Cisse has the same one iirc, possibly Beckham too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not even original, Cisse has the same one iirc, possibly Beckham too

Beckham's is very different:

david_beckham_tattoo_angel.jpg

Cisse's is in the same style, but looks much better:

759588887.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who's jersey was the no.23 at city?

just saw when playing FM that that jersey has been retired by the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

who's jersey was the no.23 at city?

just saw when playing FM that that jersey has been retired by the club

Foé if I remember correctly...

EDIT: Yup, from Wikipedia:
    Since 2003, Manchester City have not issued the squad number 23. It was retired in memory of Marc-Vivien Foé, who was on loan to the club from Olympique Lyonnais at the time of his death on the field of play playing for Cameroon in the 2003 Confederations Cup.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Foé if I remember correctly...

of course that makes sense

Man City stars fear the window, but Robinho is feeling sure of himself

Almost nobody is safe from the axe at Manchester City, but if there is one player guaranteed still to be starring in blue come the end of the January transfer window, then it is surely the club's mercurial Brazilian forward Robinho.

With 12 goals to his name already in his debut season - 11 of them in the Barclays Premier League - the 23-year-old has written his name large over the brief history of the world's richest football club.

But the former Real Madrid player revealed the threat of being replaced by fresh blood has contributed to City's recent struggles under Mark Hughes.

'It is incredible that with this squad we have appeared to be fighting relegation,' Robinho mused on Monday. 'I must admit I don't really understand it and it has been the one question talked about more than any other in our dressing room.

'One theory I have is that the constant rumours about possible reinforcements in January have damaged us in some way.

'Some of my team-mates do perhaps fear for their future and that is not positive, I guess. But there is nothing we can do about that apart from try not to let it affect us.'

City boss Hughes - breathing a little easier this week after a win at home to Hull and a draw at Blackburn on Sunday - has spoken of the unique pressures on his players ahead of a transfer window that will see him add up to six names to his under-achieving squad.

Hughes has urged his team to follow the example of midfielder Stephen Ireland, who has used the increased tension at the club this season as a spur to take his game to a new level.

As for Robinho, his contribution has been fitful because of an ankle injury this month, but he was back to his influential best as he scored a precious equaliser four minutes into added time at Ewood Park on Sunday. And he believes the 2-2 draw against their neighbours from Lancashire can spark a better second half of the season.

He said: 'If we show the pride that we did in the last game then we will be OK. We will get better and better and the things that have happened in the last few weeks will be forgotten about.

'Other teams would have given in after Blackburn scored the second goal against us with only a few minutes left, but we didn't. To come back to equalise was morally and mentally very important for us.

'We can move up the table now. With more unity and some more fight, we will be fine. If we can give more of that then it will be positive for our league position.'

Robinho is one of three Brazilians in City's first-team squad and has been taken to the hearts of the club's supporters. Compatriots Elano and Jo have seen less success this season, though, with both players struggling to impress Hughes.

Despite playing in the last two games, Elano faces an uncertain future under a manager who is suspicious of his attitude, while Jo has yet to look anything like a Premier League player since his £18million arrival from CSKA Moscow in the summer.

Robinho said: 'The problems we have had at City are not just the fault of these two players. If a squad fails it is because of all the players, not just one or two.

'The club's directors will decide about the future of these players but, as far as I am concerned, Elano and Jo are 100 per cent professional and committed to the club.

'My own relationship with Mark Hughes is positive. I follow his orders on the field and I am scoring goals. Now I believe I am offering somewhere near the level that I did at Madrid.

'But I have to say that still I am not really happy with my performances. People have not seen the big Robinho yet. They have not seen the real Robinho.

'I want to be king of Manchester City. I said that when I left Real Madrid, but I don't think I have achieved it yet. People have mentioned that I could be the top scorer in the Premier League. That has never been my aim but I guess it is possible.

'My priority is to help City become a major force in England. If I can do that then I will be happy and the personal things can come after that. If I am scoring goals then I am happy.

'I have scored some beautiful goals and the reaction from the supporters has been fantastic. But I want to bring an even greater spectacle to English grounds and I promise I will score more great goals in the second half of the season.'

The quote in bold make me smile.

• Advertisement

if he could stop losing the ball that would make me smile, away from home he's a liability

if he could stop losing the ball that would make me smile, away from home he's a liability

Ah now that'd hardly fair. Against Blackburn he was triple marked at times yet still played well and got on the scoresheet. 'Liability' is very harsh imo.

to be fair its not just rob that does it, but giving the ball away so easily is unforgivable, and its not just the blackburn game either. if hes being marked out of the game why does he hold onto the ball for so long. beat a man and pass, not beat three. what is it, nine goals at home and two away. he doesnt perform as well away.

to be fair its not just rob that does it, but giving the ball away so easily is unforgivable, and its not just the blackburn game either. if hes being marked out of the game why does he hold onto the ball for so long. beat a man and pass, not beat three. what is it, nine goals at home and two away. he doesnt perform as well away.

We as a team don't perform well away. Rob was injured for the Fulham and WBA games and we were still shite. At least he's trying things in the tricky away games, unlike others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

With all the talk about city and their millions how come most of the players they are being linked with recently are brutal compared to what they could buy ? I am referring to the likes of bridge, bellamy etc. Surely City could aim higher than this. If they buy these types of player then they will not show a huge improvement in my opinion. Really, they should follow what Chelsea done to a certain extent and buy some top class players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mark Hughes wants to bring some strenght to the squad not a bunch of fancy-dans who can't cope with a January/February schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

mike65 wrote: »
    Mark Hughes wants to bring some strenght to the squad not a bunch of fancy-dans who can't cope with a January/February schedule.

Thing is, the likes of Bellamy and Parker aren't the calibre of player that will advance City to the levels that the Owners clearly want.

I would imagine that City will need to finish inside the top 7 this season for Hughes to keep his job. They need that European football for next season, even if it is just the UEFA cup.

The problem is, I honestly can't see the present City side (+Bellamy, Parker, Bridge) dramatically changing the course City are on during the second half of the season, and climbing from pretty much joint 15th to 7th.

He mightn't like it, but to keep his job, Hughes may need to sign flash mercenaries this Jan, if only to get him to the summer where he can properly implement an overhaul.

And what 'mercenaries' are going to be available in January?

Any superstars are probably still involved in Champions League football. Why would they drop that for a relegation battle? The fact is we need to bolster the squad right now but the calibre of player up for grabs right now is not going to be top drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Podolski seems to be the biggest name you's could get, could be a class player really.

Podolski is off to Hamburg as a replacement for Olic who is joining Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Setanta sport said yesterday that the club (along with arsenal) were monitoring arteta very very closely. how much, the papers say 12 mill i think this is a steal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

12m for Bridge and 12m for Arteta?? Arteta would be a complete steal at that price IMO.

I suppose another factor to some players is that City wont be involved in the Champions league next season either but as I said only some players. Ronaldinho, Robinho etc were quite content going without it as will many others if the pay packet is good.

i read today that david Villa's agent was at the COMS for the cup game yesterday, not the best of games for him to take in but it does add some weight to the rumours.

If Villa goes to City I would lose a tonne of respect for him. He is a world class striker who should be playing for a top team.

redout wrote: »
    If Villa goes to City I would lose a tonne of respect for him. He is a world class striker who should be playing for a top team.

he has always said that hed do whats best for valencia though hasnt he and nobody could offer near what City could

So you think he would go to a lesser team just to help Valencia ? I think he will be thinking of himself more so to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I will have lost ALL respect for him

just saying he has that inbuilt excuse to comeback to people saying he is only going to city (if he goes for the wages on offer), tbh id think he should she himself as above city atm but i doubt he will care about losing some peoples respect if Man City's money does buy the club happiness in the near future.

• Advertisement

I will have lost ALL respect for him

Awww is that cause it will end any hopes of a Torres/Villa wankfest at Anfield?

Anyway, the official site are in the transfer spirit -

img_502_12750_9824.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=770&hei=560&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

Parker expected to sign in the next day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

A cheeky bid for Michael Owen on the cards perhaps? I don't think Santa Cruz is worth the £18m being reported and he could be a cheaper alternative. Also, Shay Given? I realise Joe Hart is highly rated at the COMS but Given has undeniable quality and would provide a much needed bit of stability at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

are the fans happy with the players hughes is trying to get in ?i can see that he is trying to build up the squad with good epl players and he probably knows it wud be very hard to tempt certain players atm.is he waiting til the summer to buy a superstar or 2 or do ye think there will be any big name this transfer window.18m for santa cruz is shocking amount of cash didnt rovers pay around 4m for him surely there is better value out there?

yabadabado wrote: »
    are the fans happy with the players hughes is trying to get in ?i can see that he is trying to build up the squad with good epl players and he probably knows it wud be very hard to tempt certain players atm.is he waiting til the summer to buy a superstar or 2 or do ye think there will be any big name this transfer window.18m for santa cruz is shocking amount of cash didnt rovers pay around 4m for him surely there is better value out there?

Value doesn't come into it anymore. We have the money and other clubs know that so any prices we are quoted are of course going to be over inflated. The reported fee for Santa Cruz is a prime example.

As for the players we're linked with, it's hard to know what is true and what is crap. Of the strongest ones, Given, Toure, Parker, Santa Cruz and Villa would all be superb signings as there is a healthy mix in there covering some problem positions for us.

Bridge is a great signing, and Hughes' other players - Zabaleta, Kompany, Robinho - have been great (Ben Haim hasn't been though).

Overall if it all works out (which I know it won't) then I would be very happy.

when i say better value i mean better strikers out there, ye have endless money so why not spend 30/40million than 18m on a player thats had one good season.next thing is who would this 40m striker be?

yabadabado wrote: »
    when i say better value i mean better strikers out there, ye have endless money so why not spend 30/40million than 18m on a player thats had one good season.next thing is who would this 40m striker be?

Exactly. Money is only good if you have someone to spend it on.

As I said in the transfer window thread, who in their right mind would swap Champions League football for a mediocre team struggling in their domestic league? Everyone said Diarra was a money grabbin bastard and yet he even turned us down.

• Advertisement

robinho did!!yeah i know what your saying how about gomez at stuggart?he has a good record in germany .he big and strong ,he would be good as a lone striker.he looked **** for germany last summer but before that teams were sniffing around.id say if he had a good euroes he be with a top team now

Robinho was pure fluke though. He had to leave Madrid and they would only accept our offer as we offered so much. Everyone knows he wanted to go to Chelsea.

Gomez is a good striker alright and it's someone I would be very interested in. Might have to wait til the summer for that though.

great fluke all the same

No arguments there!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1088667_ill_be_back__micah
    I'll be back - Micah

Chris Bailey
    6/ 1/2009

MICAH Richards has hit back at his critics and promised City fans he will get back to his best.

The England defender denies that he is letting off-field distractions get in the way of his progress.

And he has vowed to work as hard as possible to recapture the form that saw him burst on to the scene as a teenager.

"I know some people have been critical of my performances this season and have had a dig," said Richards.

"But all players have dips and I am staying positive. I know I give 100 per cent in every match I play.

"People are saying stuff about me looking slower or heavier or whatever but, to be honest, that's rubbish.

"If anything, I have lost weight and have less body fat than I did last year and we are constantly monitored in both those areas.

Rubbish

"I am working as hard as ever and I don't feel as if I have done anything drastically wrong this season for people to comment on.

"What I don't do is let anything that is thrown at me get in the way of training or learning and I know that it is important that I am a thorough professional."

Despite the criticism the 20-year-old has received in some quarters, he insists he is as dedicated as ever.

"Football is the most important thing in my life," said Richards.

"I have already played 100 first-team games, which I feel is a good achievement for someone of my age. I aim to make the most of my opportunities.

"I take criticism in my stride. Of course, I am not the finished article, I have lots to learn and I would be a fool to think anything else.

"I believe in my ability and I think City fans and England fans know what I am capable of. It is just a matter of me finding the kind of form I was in last season."

Richards believes he has been hampered by being asked to play in various roles and has not ruled out a return to playing at full-back.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what the problem is or isn't, he needs to get on top of it asap. On his day he is a fantastic defender, but I just don't he has the brain to ever be a consistently world class centre half, or full back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement