Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If Hughes gets the boot, will Santa Cruz still want to come?

Swap Dunne For Bentley and with Cruz you have a pair that know and play well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All is clearly not well at least Eastlands. I know for a fact a lot of this article is true -

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/244219.html
    Hughes' hands are full with City's local politics

When Mark Hughes was appointed as Manchester City's manager last June it quickly became apparent to the players he had inherited from Sven-Goran Eriksson that things would be radically different. Under Eriksson, family and friends – even a busload of Swedish tourists on one occasion – were allowed to pitch up at the training ground to watch the players in action. Hughes preferred the Manchester United model of keeping visitors behind high fences. "It's a football factory," he explained. "People aren't allowed to go to see their mates when they work in a factory, so why should they be allowed into our factory?"

This was a factory with new rules. A memo was sent to the players explaining they would be fined for using a mobile phone or listening to an iPod in the wrong place. Then Hughes made it clear that journalists, agents and "every other Tom, Dick and Harry" would not be permitted through the gates without his permission. Even the fellow in the security cabin was told to take down his Manchester City posters and Ricky Hatton memorabilia because Hughes felt it created the wrong impression.

He anticipated it would be a "culture shock" for some of the players. What he did not envisage was the extent to which it would spiral. At Blackburn Rovers his methods were quickly accepted and, in his days as the Wales national team manager, some of his players gave the impression they would walk through a plate-glass window for him. Yet the spirit of togetherness he hoped to foster among City's players has not materialised. Instead, it has become increasingly apparent he is struggling to contain a small but divisive group of mutinous players.

It is not a subject he is willing to talk about publicly but informed sources have confirmed that Hughes would happily sell, among others, Tal Ben Haim and Elano because he suspects they have been undermining him in the dressing room. Both are said to have been involved in a recent meeting of players in which his methods were heavily criticised.

This is hardly new in football. At every club there will always be players who do not get on with the manager. For all their wealth and privileges, footballers can be riddled with insecurity and nothing pricks a player's ego more than realising they are not a mandatory first-team pick.

Even so, Hughes was taken aback to discover that one fringe player approached the club's executive chairman, Garry Cook, to air his grievances about Hughes's tactics and team selections. The player in question was given short shrift and is not expected to play for the club again. Another player is said to have been laughing and joking after Saturday's 3–0 defeat by Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup.

The events after that match tell their own story. Hughes was livid but opted not to vent his anger on the players because he felt there was little point remonstrating with the likes of Dietmar Hamann, Michael Ball, Darius Vassell and Jo, the Brazilian striker whose £19m fee (with a further £5m to agents) is looking like one of the worst pieces of transfer business imaginable. All are players with little future at the club and it has become difficult for Hughes to motivate them.

To use the example of Ball, the left-back could have been forgiven if he were distracted by the sight of Wayne Bridge, City's £12m new signing, being paraded on the pitch before Saturday's game. City's status as one of the richest clubs in the world might be exciting for the fans but it has not necessarily been good news for the players who were at the club before the Abu Dhabi United Group's takeover. Ball and Vassell, to name but two, must have known for a long time they have little future at a club that has serious ambitions to be among the best in Europe.

The biggest problems have come from a Brazilian with an eye for a pass and a lovely first touch but previous when it comes to creating dressing-room problems. Elano has already gone public with his criticisms of Hughes – an offence that cost him a week's wages – and since the tensions have seldom been far from the surface.

Elano was dropped from the 2–1 defeat at West Bromwich Albion because Hughes was dismayed by the player's lack of effort in training and, on Saturday, it did not reflect well on him again that he had a row on the pitch with team-mate Daniel Sturridge. When Elano sent a free-kick harmlessly wide it was difficult not to pick up on the disgusted reaction of Hughes's right-hand man, Mark Bowen, on the touchline. Hughes would be interested to learn that Eriksson's contacts at Elano's previous club, Shakhtar Donetsk, warned him that the midfielder does not take too kindly to not getting his own way.

Eriksson, incidentally, was so popular with the players that when it became obvious he was going to be fired they considered going on strike and refusing to accompany the then owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, on a promotional tour to Thailand and Hong Kong. Hughes, it seems, has a long way to go before he wins even a fraction of that devotion.

Results have not gone Mark Hughes' way this season — but his position has not been helped by some of the players who have questioned his tactics and team selections

Eastlands' bad apples

Jo

Appearances 18 (5 as sub)

Goals 3

Mark Hughes thought the striker was at home stricken with tonsillitis when in fact he was sampling the delights of Manchester's nightlife. His manager let him sample the delights of a financial penalty

Tal Ben Haim

Appearances 15 (1)

Goals 0

The Israeli centre-half is understood to have astonished Micah Richards, and his manager, by asking him to switch positions against Racing Santander as his marker was too much for him

Elano

Appearances 24 (5)

Goals 4

Irked by being dropped from the team, he gave a TV interview criticising Hughes and was fined. Daniel Sturridge and the Brazilian also had a set-to on the pitch during the 3-0 defeat to Forest

The player who was laughing and joking on Saturday is Kasper Schmeichel and it was spotted by a lot of unhappy fans.

Also during the Hull game, Ball and Hamann were asked to warm up but refused to do so.

The bit about Ben Haim at the bottom there is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

so whats the solution sack the players or sack the manager? the fact hughes cant work with the players he already has doesnt really instil confidence in me tbh. look at sam at blackburn, kinnear and arry at spurs, they inherited teams that were doing awful, but managed to get decent results from the same team. hughes should be able to get better results out of the current team, this season was supposed to be the start of something great, what a fcukin mess

http://www.goal.com/en/news/710/manchester-city/2009/01/08/1049988/manchester-city-to-double-stephen-irelands-pay

Manchester City To Double Stephen Ireland's Pay

The Sky Blues' in-form Irishman is set to receive a new and improved deal...

According to The Sun, Manchester City have entered preliminary talks with their star midfielder, Stephen Ireland, over a new contract that would see his wages doubled.

The 22-year-old has just over three years remaining on the deal he penned a little over a year ago, and currently earns around £30,000 per week.

Many pundits were amazed that Ireland was still bound to that contract after what was a tumultuous 2007-08 campaign, as he was all but out the exit door after a series of off-field controversies.

But the Cobh native regrouped over the summer and has been in stunning form this season, so much so that the inspirational Robinho has had to settle for being City's second-most influential player.

Clubs have begun to inquire after the self-exiled Republic of Ireland star, with Arsenal thought to be particularly interested, but the Sky Blues are desperate to keep hold of him as they - amazingly - battle against relegation.

Thus, the Citizens' Arab owners will bump the young prompter's pay up to £60,000 per week, putting him roughly on par with the likes of Micah Richards and Michael Johnson.

City are also pondering an improved deal for youngster Daniel Sturridge.

Fully deserved. Should end those bollox rumours about him going to Arsenal.

well if johnson and richards are getting £60k, irelands worth at least twice that, but id say £30k a week is more than enough for anyone, its silly money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fully deserved. Should end those bollox rumours about him going to Arsenal.

Well we definitely wudn't double his wages if we signed him anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jayzus if Richards and Johnson are on that much Ireland should be getting 80k or more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol @ bidding for Bellamy.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why?

because it's funny, that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Why?

Just Bellamy is a pretty big step down from the likes of Villa, etc.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Just Bellamy is a pretty big step down from the likes of Villa, etc.

Do you really think we have even the slightest chance of signing Villa? Cause I don't.

We are a midtable club and need to walk before we can run. As I said before, the only reason we signed Robinho is because he had no other choice. It was a complete fluke.

In January the only players we are going to get are unhappy ones with uncertain futures. Nobody can argue the point that Bellamy would improve our squad if he came, just like Bridge, Parker, Given etc. They are proven Premiership players, which is exactly what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Do you really think we have even the slightest chance of signing Villa? Cause I don't.

We are a midtable club and need to walk before we can run. As I said before, the only reason we signed Robinho is because he had no other choice. It was a complete fluke.

In January the only players we are going to get are unhappy ones with uncertain futures. Nobody can argue the point that Bellamy would improve our squad if he came, just like Bridge, Parker, Given etc. They are proven Premiership players, which is exactly what we need.

I never thought you did, but it's a pretty ridiculous situation when you have names like Messi, Kaka, Villa, etc being uttered with the same transfer rumours as Bellamy, Bridge, etc... Can't be good for the club really.

And who has uttered those rumours? The media and one dillusional sheikh.

Those close to the actual truth haven't mentioned any 'superstars'.

It's a complete case of 2 + 2 = 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Awaits for Mr.Pighead to run riot on some of your posts over the last 3 months. :D

Yep I'll admit I bought into it just like the majority of the fans. How could I not to be fair?

But this transfer window is a real eye opener for a lot of people, myself included. We won't be signing superstars any time soon because we're too shit for them to even look at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What about Robinho ? Big player who arrived at city. Just want to add that I never really considered Robinho great during his time at Real Madrid and I did actually watch he play most weeks.

Read post 583 with regard to Robinho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont want Bellamy at my club and we arent the richest club in the world. Why not outbid Arsenal for Arshavin, keep faith with Evans/Sturridge till Summer, get Podloski who seems desperate for a move but can only seemigly go backwards to Cologne or you know what im trying to say sign someone who isnt a complete tool.

• Advertisement

Sky Sports saying West Ham rejected a £9 Million bid from City for Bellamy. Who do they think he is ? I would have have thought £9 Million would be generous for a crap striker who scores fuvk all !

5 goals in 13 (3) games is better than any of our recognised strikers.

5 goals in 13 (3) games is better than any of our recognised strikers.

I dont rate him and think that he moves club too often. So is he worth more than £9 Million ?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1090102_hamann_out_for_season
    Hamann out for season

13/ 1/2009

MANCHESTER City midfielder Dietmar Hamann has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a foot injury.

The 35-year-old German has ruptured ligaments and is not expected to add to the 18 appearances he has made this season for the Blues.

Although Hamann has been used mainly as cover this season, the news is a blow for boss Mark Hughes, who is already looking to strengthen in the holding midfield role. Michael Johnson remains on the sidelines with his long-running hip problem.

Hate to say it but that could be a blessing in disguise. He's been more of a liability this year than anything else. Not his fault, he's just too old.

Could see him retiring in the summer.

If only..........

Don't think it would do city much good unless they get that defense sorted...

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Don't think it would do city much good unless they get that defense sorted...

Really? Sure we haven't had a truly solid defence since Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn! If the attacking threat is great enough, the defence becomes less important.

jasonorr wrote: »
    Really? Sure we haven't had a truly solid defence since Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn! If the attacking threat is great enough, the defence becomes less important.

Not inclined to agree with that.

Lauren
    Campbell
    Toure
    Cole

That was fairly solid

Not inclined to agree with that.

Lauren
    Campbell
    Toure
    Cole

That was fairly solid

Fairly solid, but give me Adams and the boys any day of the week!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Fairly solid, but give me Adams and the boys any day of the week!

Oh by a country mile.

The point I was making is the city defence is fairly weak.
    The signing of Wayne Bridge was a great bit of business by Hughes.
    Another solid defender in should see them to a comfortable position this season, then they can start wholesale re-modelling in the summer as required.

I think we will see another defender come in during the window to give a backline of -

Zab/Richards
    Dunne/Onouha
    A N Other
    Bridge

That's quite solid between now and the summer.

• Advertisement

I think we will see another defender come in during the window to give a backline of -

Zab/Richards
    Dunne/Onouha
    A N Other
    Bridge

That's quite solid between now and the summer.

Aye solid enough. If you cant get another Kompany could slot in but I think he's been performing very well in his DM role and would be inclined to keep him there.

Oh by a country mile.

The point I was making is the city defence is fairly weak.
    The signing of Wayne Bridge was a great bit of business by Hughes.
    Another solid defender in should see them to a comfortable position this season, then they can start wholesale re-modelling in the summer as required.

I agree, they should bolster their defence, but if the right attacking players come along, they would be foolish to say no...especially if we are to believe that there may be changes to the transfer system that require clubs to spend within their means!

bojinov is supposed to be back next month. looks decent when he plays and had a good pre season, hope he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

bigstar wrote: »
    bojinov is supposed to be back next month. looks decent when he plays and had a good pre season, hope he stays fit.

So you can sell him? Stan Collymore has supposedly said on talksport that City have 2 "world class" players from top 4 clubs lined up depending on the Kaka signing. A defender and a midfielder. And he has heard this from a football agent.

JPA wrote: »
    So you can sell him? Stan Collymore has supposedly said on talksport that City have 2 "world class" players from top 4 clubs lined up depending on the Kaka signing. A defender and a midfielder. And he has heard this from a football agent.

no so he can play, if we have players who are good enough we dont have to buy ten others, plus agents will talk up anything if it means they get a slice of the pie. boj is a striker so i dont think hell be in defence too much.

no so he can play, if we have players who are good enough we dont have to buy ten others, plus agents will talk up anything if it means they get a slice of the pie. boj is a striker so i dont think hell be in defence too much.

Surely you know full well that Bojinov and half the team will be out the door in the summer?

well you obviously have personal line to the shiek so i wont argue

well you obviously have personal line to the shiek so i wont argue

I thought Hughes was the manager?

but surely hell be going with half the team, why keep a decent manager if were not going to keep decent players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

So who else would ye like to come and follow kaka?

david villa and raul albiol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic have had loan bids for Garrido and Fernandes accepted. I'd happily take Garrido or any premiership left back tbh but what's Fernandes like? Could he play in the same team the all action Scott Brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I really rate Gelson Fernandes. He's slight but strong and a far better player than the last one that made the same trip..(Samaras). Garrido is good going forward but suspect at the back-has a habit of straying out of position.

I only saw the highlights but heard Zabaleta had a good game for you's in CM after a shaky start.
    What did ya's think? Possible solution in there if you can't bring anyone else in or just a filler this weekend with Ireland out?

Well Ireland is back from suspension now.

Zab was the best player in the park. I wanted him in that role for weeks now and he didn't let me down. Micah was solid at right back, Bridge's debut was superb and Onouha was simply brilliant.

Btw, Fernandes is shite eirebhoy. The phrase 'headless chicken' was created for players like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

On SSN now, WHU give Bellamy permission to speak to City. Would you want him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

shayser wrote: »
    On SSN now, WHU give Bellamy permission to speak to City. Would you want him?

With City already having a few bad eggs, I cannot for the life of me figure why Hughes is targeting this WUM. For all the money City have, surely they could find someone else.

Charlie wrote: »
    For all the money City have, surely they could find someone else.

He's just a stop gap for Ibra and Aguero next year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can't see why anyone would want to sign Bellamy - he's hardly a world beater and seems like an all-around terrible person into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

did hughes not have him at blackburn?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement