Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The game against Wigan was his first time and he scored the winner and got MOM.

He's played DMC for Argentina numerous times though and is very good there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

dont agree with you about dunney xavi, hes been great for years we cant just drop him now. also i prefer zab at right back, going forward hes streets ahead of richards who just looks clumsy when running with the ball. i hope the competition for places now pushes us on a bit more.

any news on bojinov, and sturridges contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well Given doesn't play for us so....

Hart

Richards
    Onouha
    Kompany
    Bridge

Zabaleta
    De Jong

Wright-Phillips
    Ireland
    Robinho

Bellamy

Subs:

Schmeichel, Sturridge, Garrido, Elano, Caicedo, Dunne, Vassell

Have to say that is a very strong team. Easily capable of contending for Champions League football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Frisbee wrote: »
    Have to say that is a very strong team. Easily capable of contending for Champions League football

Alot of people said the same about the potential lineup Spuds could throw together during the summer.

It's how they gel and play as a team. 11 players on their own will never get you anywhere.

Yeah but we already know most of that team can gel.
    So if de Jong can and then we'll just forget about Bellamy...

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah but we already know most of that team can gel.
    So if de Jong can and then we'll just forget about Bellamy...

bellamy to finish top scorer ftw!

seriously though, weve had a decent team for most of the season and it hasnt worked out but hopefully de jong makes us a bit more tough

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Dunne won't play, he's suspended after being sent off in the last game

bigstar wrote: »
    dont agree with you about dunney xavi, hes been great for years we cant just drop him now. also i prefer zab at right back, going forward hes streets ahead of richards who just looks clumsy when running with the ball. i hope the competition for places now pushes us on a bit more.

any news on bojinov, and sturridges contract.

So he should just waltz straight back into the team after a four game suspension even if we keep clean sheets in every one of those games?

So he should just waltz straight back into the team after a four game suspension even if we keep clean sheets in every one of those games?

firstly thats a massive if, we havent had a lot of clean sheets this season. dunnes not in great form right now and if it s the case in four games that onuoha/richards/kompany are playing too good to be dropped then they should keep their place, but i dont think thats likely. its not only dunne who has under performed this season. weve had an inconsistent defence and central midfield. richards has been very poor for me leaving dunne to make up more for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Heard on the radio that Given could be a man city player by the end of the week. Joe Hart aint the worst keeper ever but Given is pure quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

"I said goodbye to everyone before I went to the airport, they saw me with my suitcase," he is reported as explaining today in The People.

"I did not run away and I did not hide. The club knew. How can I be fined? I don't think that would be fair. I did not go back to Brazil to party but to sort out a personal problem and I would never have left if we'd had a game.

"I don't understand the controversy that this story has caused. I had to resolve an urgent personal issue, that's all there is to it. If we had a game this weekend this problem would have been resolved by another form and I would have stayed in Manchester."

"I have a contract at City and I am going to stay here. I want to triumph in England and fight to be top goalscorer," the 25-year-old added.

"I repeat that I have no problems with Hughes, not before and not now. I did not come here just for the money but for the exciting sporting project where I am going to have an important role to play."

"That is nonsense. I only found out he (Kaka) hadn't signed when I was halfway to Brazil," he continued.

"I am a friend of his and I tried to convince him to come, but it is difficult to change Kaka's mind once it is made up.

"I don't think he is convinced by the idea of playing in England. Without a doubt he would have been a great signing but Kaka has rejected the offer and there is nothing we can do.

"City can be one of the big clubs in England if things are done properly. If Kaka has not come then it is not the end of the world.

"Before everything I am a professional and I play with the team-mates that I have. We have to keep fighting for City and hope that next season other big stars arrive."

cant wait for wednesdays match, seems like ages since we played. hope the new lads fit in well and bellamy gets a couple against his old club.

the pompey game is on valentines too, lucky they got knocked out of the FA cup so we have a game on the cup weekend.

that excitement form the start of the season is coming back, hope it stays a bit longer this time

Reports from training on Monday are good. The two new boys took part fully in the session, as did Robinho who was apparently in fine spirits.

Bojinov and Johnson were also involved while Etuhu and Petrov were both doing exercise work with the physios. Positive stuff all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Reports from training on Monday are good. The two new boys took part fully in the session, as did Robinho who was apparently in fine spirits.

Bojinov and Johnson were also involved while Etuhu and Petrov were both doing exercise work with the physios. Positive stuff all round.

How long has Petrov been out?

Since August/September.

Since August/September.

I'd actually forgotten all about him - super player. Getting him back will be a huge boost I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Been linked with Kolo Toure today. I think City can do much better than him tbh.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Been linked with Kolo Toure today. I think City can do much better than him tbh.

me too, we should go for kaka :rolleyes:

Apparently Veloso wants a slice of the action -

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/13336/Veloso_awaits_City_move.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Given 'ready for Man City talks'

Given has been heavily linked with a move to Manchester City
    Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has revealed that goalkeeper Shay Given wants "a new challenge" and wishes to talk to Manchester City over a possible move.

The Republic of Ireland keeper, 32, was said to be considering his future at the club following the Magpies' 5-1 defeat by Liverpool in December.

"I have bent over backwards to keep him - I've tried to make him stay," Kinnear told the Evening Chronicle.

"He wants a new challenge and he wants to speak to Manchester City."

Newcastle are set to play City at Eastlands on Wednesday.

Kinnear added: "He's done 11 years here and I think he wants a new challenge.

"I left Shay with owner Mike Ashley, club managing director Derek Llambias and Given's lawyer Michael Kennedy, and the talks went on for a few hours.

"It's out of my hands and I am still waiting for the final outcome.

"I would be heartbroken to see him go because he is one of the best keepers in the world. But Man City keep banging on the door to talk to him."

On Tuesday, Newcastle keeper Steve Harper, who has often found himself as second choice behind Given, signed a new three-year deal with the club.

Given joined Newcastle in 1997 from Blackburn for £1.5m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7856463.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/0128/1224240157393.html
    City, who need experience between the posts to help shore up their defence, initially offered €3.18 million and then €5.3m for the Donegal man, but the move is likely to cost around €10m

Would have thought they'd need to be offering 6+ alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Will Joe Hart be okay with being benched? surely he will drop out of the full england squad and back into the U-21s as a result of not getting games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I would love Veloso if his Champ Manager profile is to be believed - becomes a total legend in that game (they base their stats on established scouting systems form each country so can sometimes pretty accurate predicitng ronaldo, robben, van der vaart and others before their big moves)

Veloso and de jong could cover centre mid allowing vincent to drop back to CB.

is veloso any good hes being linked with bolton too. i think were ok now for players. we have a good squad now with petrov to come back and maybe bojinov, who has only played about ten minutes for us, maybe santa cruz would be handy too

anyone here (City fans) want united to win the league cup? it means an extra uefa cup spot, and i think we can still get one. of course if we dont, sh1t but if we do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

is veloso any good hes being linked with bolton too. i think were ok now for players. we have a good squad now with petrov to come back and maybe bojinov, who has only played about ten minutes for us, maybe santa cruz would be handy too
    I don't see RSC moving now after Matt Derbyshire has just gone out on loan.

A Uefa spot is definitely within reach after 10 points from the last possible 12.

Turned a corner?

hope so, conflicted over the league cup though, would love a euro spot but united winning anything, NO. on motd now

Tbh I'm so used to United winning things I'd be only too glad for them to stop 'Arry getting his grubby mits on another trophy. Lesser of two evils if it means we get into Europe as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

If we get Europe, no matter how, we increase our chances of getting better players in the summer too.

Zabeletta was (again!) excellent tonight in centre midfield (thank god for football streaming)... I thought Bellamy worked really hard and made a great tackle in our own 1/3 of teh pitch after it went 2-1

man... I sure hope we have turned a corner now. If we win our game in hand we will be only 1 point off 7th....

• Advertisement

There's a new sheriff in town -

1233178978_spt_ai_mancityvnewcastle.jpg

:D

Man City's Given bid 'insulting'

Given has made 461 appearances for the Magpies in 12 years
    Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear says Manchester City's offer of £5m for goalkeeper Shay Given is "insulting".

The 32-year-old Republic of Ireland international has been first-choice keeper at Newcastle for 12 years, but has made it clear he wants to leave.

"Irrespective of all the money I keep hearing, they've only offered £5m, not a penny more," said Kinnear.

"We think it's personally insulting to probably the best goalkeeper in the Premier League."

Kinnear said he would be "heartbroken" to lose Given, but refused to be drawn when asked how he would react to City returning with an increased offer.

"We're at a stalemate," said Kinnear.

"As far as I know, the chairman and the owner are very unhappy we've only been offered £5m.

"I don't want to lose him - I'm fighting a relegation battle, I want to keep every player and add to it, not lose it, but I really don't know."

On Tuesday, Newcastle keeper Steve Harper, who is a long-term second choice behind Given, signed a new three-year deal with the club.

Given joined Newcastle in 1997 from Blackburn for £1.5m and had made 461 appearances for the Magpies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7856463.stm

I actually think 5 million is a fairly reasonable offer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

keane2097 wrote: »
    I actually think 5 million is a fairly reasonable offer...

It's a bit of a joke in fairness. One of their best players that they don't want to sell. Look at the sh1te that moves for £5 million around the league.

JPA wrote: »
    It's a bit of a joke in fairness. One of their best players that they don't want to sell. Look at the sh1te that moves for £5 million around the league.

How much do you think he's worth so?

How much do you think he's worth so?

Well taking into account that City are loaded, if I was a Newcastle fan I would be expecting close to 10 million. 8.5 is the figure going around today.

JPA wrote: »
    Well taking into account that City are loaded, if I was a Newcastle fan I would be expecting close to 10 million. 8.5 is the figure going around today.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't say any more than 10 - it's even a bit much...

Then again 14 million for Bellamy I suppose...

Do you think if Arsenal bid 5 million they'd call it "insulting" though? I think that's going a bit far personally...

Yeah I definitely wouldn't say any more than 10 - it's even a bit much...

Then again 14 million for Bellamy I suppose...

Do you think if Arsenal bid 5 million they'd call it "insulting" though? I think that's going a bit far personally...

Well Kinnear isn't known for being diplomatic but yes it is insulting.
    They know full well that would not be accepted. Why bid that low?

Goalkeeper is an odd position with transfers a lot less common then other positions. But if you can get a good one then a high fee is worth it if they can serve you for 5+ years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

under the circumstances with City, i think any club dealing with them should be picking a reasonable figure and adding at least 50%.

He still has a few years left in him at a very high level, so would easily be worth 10, given that he can single handedly earn a draw or a win in a good few games a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Given @ £5m is a bit of a kick in the nads, he's been consistently performing for years now.

Gas, only 5pts and £1bn separate City from Newcastle :pac:

• Advertisement

Id say an offer 0f around 8 or 9 mill should see you get Given.
    Will most likely end up being 10+ though...

£8 - 10 Million. Anything less is unacceptable. City should be happy with that as he is about to become the best player to have bought in the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Given is at his peak right now, is under contract, and Man City are throwing money around like confetti. Considering they paid 14 million for a crock like Bellamy we should be talking at least 15 million. If it was Arsenal then 10 million would be acceptable.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Given is at his peak right now, is under contract, and Man City are throwing money around like confetti. Considering they paid 14 million for a crock like Bellamy we should be talking at least 15 million. If it was Arsenal then 10 million would be acceptable.

why is that? are arsenal some kind of charitable organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no, i think its cause they arent a bit of a joke at the moment, offering over 100m for a player or 500k a week or watever. or Bellamy for 14m....you get his point & he is right

Mr Alan wrote: »
    .you get his point & he is right

no i dont and he isnt.
    bellamy is a player hughes likes and has worked well with before and if he gets enough goals to help us to a uefa cup spot, then €14m is a snip

no i dont and he isnt.
    bellamy is a player hughes likes and has worked well with before and if he gets enough goals to help us to a uefa cup spot, then €14m is a snip

What? That makes no sense. You won't even get close to 14 million for reaching the UEFA cup and that's just one over priced player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no other club in the world would pay 14m for Bellamy. thats his point. because yous are so rich & your club has been so arrogant about it, you will pay out the nose for everyone.

his point was that Arsenal are not minted, they are always conservative in the transfer market.....if they want someone they'll offer wat they feel he is worth, they wont go over that (within reason).....city, quite simply, dont seem to do that & seem to wanna impress everyone with how much money they have....fair enough, but then dont expect clubs to not try & take you for every penny they can squeeze out of yous.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    no other club in the world would pay 14m for Bellamy. thats his point. because yous are so rich & your club has been so arrogant about it, you will pay out the nose for everyone.

his point was that Arsenal are not minted, they are always conservative in the transfer market.....if they want someone they'll offer wat they feel he is worth, they wont go over that (within reason).....city, quite simply, dont seem to do that & seem to wanna impress everyone with how much money they have....fair enough, but then dont expect clubs to not try & take you for every penny they can squeeze out of yous.

whats arrogant about it. we need, badly need, good players especially a striker and bellamy cost €14m and we can afford him, yes we have to pay over the odds because its january but so be it, we need players and we have money. if it was united, liverpool, chelsea or arsenal people wouldnt be so bothered, but city should stay were they belong. fcuk it, if means we dont get knocked out of the cup next year by forest spend a billion

• Advertisement

whats arrogant about it. we need, badly need, good players especially a striker and bellamy cost €14m and we can afford him, yes we have to pay over the odds because its january but so be it, we need players and we have money. if it was united, liverpool, chelsea or arsenal people wouldnt be so bothered, but city should stay were they belong. fcuk it, if means we dont get knocked out of the cup next year by forest spend a billion

Just saying you'll never get the money back or rather the sheik won't.
    Guess that's a bit irrelevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement