Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

He's only 20 lol, years ahead of him yet, he has the potential just needs to realise it, improve his positioning for a start and he will be a excellent defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Smegball wrote: »
    He's only 20 lol, years ahead of him yet, he has the potential just needs to realise it, improve his positioning for a start and he will be a excellent defender.

not good enough for us atm, doesnt matter what age he is.

No europe next season. only saw the second half today, we should have won, i didnt even know keane was playing tbh. funny seeing liam gallagher gesturing 2-1 to the spurs fans, he got it right in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I HATE Harry Redknapp and there's little worse than losing to a team of his. Joke of a peno decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I HATE Harry Redknapp and there's little worse than losing to a team of his. Joke of a peno decision.

tough break xavi

do you think not getting the last europa spot will be end of sparky and would it be harder to buy the players

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

not getting into the europa could be a real blessing in disguise - might mean not getting the top top topest players in the summer,
    but a few good additions and a real focus on the domestic front it could be a big season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why do you hate him, i have my reasons for disliking him, I wonder are they the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Stephen Ireland insists he is a long way from agreeing a new contract with Manchester City.

Reports last week suggested the Corkman was set to be offered a big-money four-year deal after excelling in a season which saw him shortlisted for the PFA's Young Player of the Year award.

The 22-year-old midfielder believes his performances this term speak for themselves and has called on the City hierarchy to resolve his future.

'We're nowhere with the contract, to be honest, we're still a long way off. Talks have barely started,' he told the Daily Mirror.

'I don't know what's going to happen and if I'm going to sign or not sign. It's out of my hands right now, it's up to the club, not me.

'It's getting to the stage now where I don't know if I'm going to be signing or not. I think I've done enough this year, let my football do the talking.

'The club haven't really made an offer yet. If they make one great - if not, I've got two years left.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0519/irelands.html

Like the talk of a new deal being done & dust were premature to say the least. City would wanna get the finger out.

Headshot wrote: »
    tough break xavi

do you think not getting the last europa spot will be end of sparky and would it be harder to buy the players

I hope so.

Spending over £100 million and finishing lower than the season before is unacceptable.
    Esse85 wrote: »
    Why do you hate him, i have my reasons for disliking him, I wonder are they the same.

I'd have to ban myself if I told you tbh.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0519/irelands.html

Like the talk of a new deal being done & dust were premature to say the least. City would wanna get the finger out.

We seem to have ran into an agent-shaped road block. A certain Willie McKay has his dirty paws all over this so it won't be straight forward.

I hope so.

Spending over £100 million and finishing lower than the season before is unacceptable.

MARK HUGHES has been ordered to turn City into a top six side next season.

That is the target laid down by Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak, who has also confirmed City are set to spend again this summer.

Al Mubarak and owner Sheikh Mansour have both been satisfied by Hughes' first campaign.

Now the Abu Dhabi owners have raised the bar and expect European qualification.

"I think a reasonable target next season is the top six," declared the chairman.

"I think people see me as a reasonable and realistic man, and given what we have done this year and the ambitions we have this summer, a top six finish next year should be a reasonable and achievable target.

"We have to be able to create that nice balance in the club between a quality, strong first team with depth, but retain the ability to bring in young, talented individuals.

"We have all seen what Nedum Onuoha and Stevie Ireland have done this season. Both of them have had a fantastic season and I think there are more Nedums and Stevies within the Academy and we have to be able to have a good platform.

"Part of the discussions that we are having is what is the right balance within the club between the youngsters and the seasoned players we need to buy to come into specific positions

Yeah I saw the stories on that and I'm not happy.

We all said we'd give Hughes til the end of the season before properly calling for his head, and the bottom line is he has taken us backwards.

• Advertisement

If Hughes gets the bullet, there is an proven replacement available in Ranieri who has just gotten fired.

If Hughes gets the bullet, there is an proven replacement available in Ranieri who has just gotten fired.

Proven at what? Losing a dressing room full of superstars?

I'll have Mancini thanks.

Proven at what? Losing a dressing room full of superstars?

I'll have Mancini thanks.

mancini for city

sounds good :)

Proven at what?

Proven at spending big money, managing a team regularly in the Champions League,and competing in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

They're thinking of leaving hughes in place? LOL, top cock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Who wants Diego Forlan?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

More on Stephen Irelands contract talks and wage demands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wayne Bridge get £93,000 a week? Holy crap!

seriously the stuff about hughes is a joke. hes had ONE season. has anyone noticed that the best club in england have had there manager for over 20 years, liverpool keep getting better every season, chelsea fell apart after mourihno left and arsenal well they got 4th again. stability is vital for prolonged success. come on, a uefa quarter final and one week short of 7th, how is that not enough.

great post bigstar.

• Advertisement

bigstar wrote: »
    seriously the stuff about hughes is a joke. hes had ONE season. has anyone noticed that the best club in england have had there manager for over 20 years, liverpool keep getting better every season, chelsea fell apart after mourihno left and arsenal well they got 4th again. stability is vital for prolonged success. come on, a uefa quarter final and one week short of 7th, how is that not enough.

Because we have gone backwards in both league position and points tally despite spending more money than anyone else in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Because we have gone backwards in both league position and points tally despite spending more money than anyone else in the world.

The arabs arrived at the last day of the transfer window last summer.

Buying in january is generally not favoured as it upsets the rythmn of the team.

This summer is crucial for Hughes though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That's not entirely Hughes fault though, I watched the last day of the transfer window happen and he looked clueless as to who was been approached or what players might be coming in.

slingerz wrote: »
    The arabs arrived at the last day of the transfer window last summer.

Buying in january is generally not favoured as it upsets the rythmn of the team.

This summer is crucial for Hughes though

Not just for Hughes, but for the entire club in general. What happens if he buys poorly? Another year of mediocrity with absolutely nothing to show for it?

Not worth the risk imo.
    Boggles wrote: »
    That's not entirely Hughes fault though, I watched the last day of the transfer window happen and he looked clueless as to who was been approached or what players might be coming in.

We bought one player on the last day of the window who has been one of our star performers for the year. Everyone else bar Jo was a Hughes signing.

since Ireland doesnt want to sign,utd will take him off ye're hands ;)

From the official site -
    Super Stevie's offer pants, jokes Hughes

MARK HUGHES stepped up to collect Stephen Ireland's trophy at the Official Supporters Club awards night - but the City manager drew the line at stepping into the Blues star's Superman underpants.

Midfielder Stevie was named Player of the Year but, along with defender Micah Richards, was laid low by gastric flu and unable to attend the top event in the Citizen's Suite at City of Manchester Stadium.

Blues boss Hughes was given a huge cheer as he accepted the award on behalf of the absent Ireland, but revealed to hundreds of laughing fans that he'd turned down the chance to don the player's famous pants.

He joked: "Stevie's sent his Superman pants through to me to wear tonight, but I was worried that I'd get contaminated by the flu virus and we've got a big game coming up against Bolton."

Ireland took the OSC's top honour to end skipper Richard Dunne's four consecutive victories, with versatile Vincent Kompany coming second and never-say-die Pablo Zabaleta claiming third place.

Hughes said: "Stephen has been a credit to himself this season. He made a decision that he needed to get his fitness back on track last summer - he's an ambitious lad and wants to be the best he can be.

"He's also responded positively to everything we've told him, and as a consequence of those two factors he's had an outstanding season. From my point of view, you the supporters have made the right decision."

Ireland had collected in person his LIVE4CITY Player of the Year Shield 24 hours earlier, but both he and Richards have been isolated from the squad to prevent the flu spreading.

The City boss added: "We don't want to take any risks. Bolton is important to us. We want to says thanks to our fans after a season that has been sometimes stimulating and sometimes frustrating."

Danny Sturridge, collecting the Young Player of the Year award, said: "We've got the best Academy in the world. We produce players season after season and there are more coming through." Fellow strikers Felipe Caicedo and Ched Evans were second and third respectively.

Player Of The Year
    1st Ireland
    2nd Kompany
    3rd Zabaleta

Young Player Of The Year
    1st Sturridge
    2nd Caicedo
    3rd Evans

Congrats to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Robinho really should have made the top 3. Top scorer outside of the big 4 teams without having a full season, he has had a bigger impact than Vince or Zabba.

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Robinho really should have made the top 3. Top scorer outside of the big 4 teams without having a full season, he has had a bigger impact than Vince or Zabba.

No he hasnt, and most of the fans seem to agree.

seriously xavi, another year of mediocrity. mediocrity compared to what, what success have we had recently. seriously we are not a top club, we might get there yet but its a big might and it will take time. i dont care who owns the club and what they expect. two years ago we were facing relegation. now were pissed at missing out on europe, another year of that please.

One of the lads over on the City forum I use came up with this and I thought it was quality -

fifa10stevenireland-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone missed it -

From MCFC.co.uk -
    I never want to leave, says new-deal Stevie

img_502_13358_3422.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=150&hei=150&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

Stephen Ireland has signed a new five-year contract for the Blues - and insisted there is no reason why he should not spend the rest of his career at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Midfield maestro Ireland, deservedly voted Player of the Year by City fans last week after a tremendous campaign, has set his sights on a title challenge next season ... and a key role in the club's bright future.

After putting pen to paper on his new deal today, witnessed by (left to right) Football Administration Officer Brian Marwood, the player's adviser Paul Masterton, and General Secretary Bernard Halford, he admitted: "It was something that I've been worrying about for a few months but now it's done I can enjoy the summer.

"I never had any doubts about staying. Regardless, I was going to be here, and hopefully for the remainder of my career. I don't see why not. I really want to become a hero here, to hopefully achieve things.

"I'm settled here - I love the club, I love the fans, and I don't see what's going to make me leave this club.

"These are very exciting times. It's going to be interesting just to see what the line-up will be at the start of next season and how far we can push on. Hopefully we can compete for the title and get back into Europe."

Ireland justified his "Superman" nickname this season to earn plaudits from team-mates and manager Mark Hughes after putting himself through a rigorous summer fitness training programme before pre-season.

He added: "I've always trusted my ability, but it's only this season I've come out of my shell. I worked hard last summer to try and reach the targets I set myself. I reached some, the others are something to aim at next season.

"But I never take my place for granted. I don't think I ever would, I don't like to take my foot off the gas."

Commenting on Stephen's new deal, City Manager Mark Hughes told us, “Stephen’s new contract is great news for everyone concerned. He was outstanding all last season and is now one of the best midfielders in the Premier League. He thoroughly deserves all the praise that has gone his way after the hard work that he undertook last summer, and I know that he is already aiming to do even better for us next season and beyond”.

Great start to the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Not just for Hughes, but for the entire club in general. What happens if he buys poorly? Another year of mediocrity with absolutely nothing to show for it?

Not worth the risk imo.

Xavi, I'm an Everton fan(thanks for jo by the way he was good while it lasted), and i have been reading your posts of late. How old are you? You have always come across as quiet knowledgeable on football matters until recently. Maybe you are just blinded by your love of man city which to a certain degree is understandable, however Rome was not built in a day! Hughes has, in my opinion a huge task at turning Man City into a top 4 club, but i actually think he will do it if given time. His signings so far have impressed me , especially Given and Kompany and now with Ireland putting pen to paper so soon that shows his ability to get things done at the right time. I am green with envy that we over at Goodison don't have yer cash , but i thought that you off all people would understand that, just cause ye have all the money in the world it wont instantly make ye a success on the pitch, especially when ye have been most seasons fighting for survival!
    All the successful current manager in the premiership, Ferguson,Wenger, Benitez, Moyes have all been given money(Moyes less so, and Wenger is to vain to spend his), but more importantly they have been given time. IL leave you with this ."Patients is a virtue ,have it if you can, seldom in a woman, never in a man";)

All the successful current manager in the premiership, Ferguson,Wenger, Benitez, Moyes have all been given money

why on gods green earth is he in that list? correct me if i'm wrong, but has he ever won a trophy while managing in the premier league?

Xavi, I'm an Everton fan(thanks for jo by the way he was good while it lasted), and i have been reading your posts of late. How old are you?

You have always come across as quiet knowledgeable on football matters until recently. Maybe you are just blinded by your love of man city which to a certain degree is understandable, however Rome was not built in a day!

See to me that sounds like an excuse for when things haven't gone as they should have.
    Hughes has, in my opinion a huge task at turning Man City into a top 4 club, but i actually think he will do it if given time.

He may very well do but the fact remains that, despite spending more money than anyone else in the world, we went backwards in terms of league position and points total.

Can that be argued against?
    His signings so far have impressed me , especially Given and Kompany and now with Ireland putting pen to paper so soon that shows his ability to get things done at the right time.

Yep he has signed some great players. Zabaleta has been the pick of the bunch for me.
    I am green with envy that we over at Goodison don't have yer cash , but i thought that you off all people would understand that, just cause ye have all the money in the world it wont instantly make ye a success on the pitch, especially when ye have been most seasons fighting for survival!

Again that's desperately trying to put a silver lining on a poor season.

Whatever may have happened 2 or 3 seasons ago is completely void given our current affluent state.
    All the successful current manager in the premiership, Ferguson,Wenger, Benitez, Moyes have all been given money(Moyes less so, and Wenger is to vain to spend his), but more importantly they have been given time. IL leave you with this ."Patients is a virtue ,have it if you can, seldom in a woman, never in a man";)

It's all well and good saying have patience but how patient do you think the owners will be? If we don't start next season on fire then Hughes will be gone by Christmas. That means another season is fecked around and this time next year we'll have gone nowhere, possibly even backwards again.

That's not something any City fan wants. We have an opportunity here to go places and win things. Our owners will eventually get bored with their toy and when they do I want us to have at least lived the life for a while. That looks a long way away right now after this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

To be fair, large high profile additions to a team or even squad can sometimes have a negative effect on a team. Remember Newcastle and Asprilla?

I think that the "re-building" has been poor and unfocused in structure and execution. If that is Hughes' fault or someone above him, I don't know.

I'd like to see him get another season, but City need to focus, if they're going to buy a team ala Chelsea, they need to identify and purchase a strong first team. They have too many average players.

why on gods green earth is he in that list? correct me if i'm wrong, but has he ever won a trophy while managing in the premier league?

So are you saying if a team that was on the brink of regalation year in year out for several years and now sets its sights on breaking into the top four and playing regularly in Europe is not deemed a success in modern day football. If not then you are a hard task master I'm very happy with our progress under Moyes he builds slowly but we are now a team that no one wants to play and i am happy to take that!

• Advertisement

So are you saying if a team that was on the brink of regalation year in year out for several years and now sets its sights on breaking into the top four and playing regularly in Europe is not deemed a success in modern day football. If not then you are a hard task master I'm very happy with our progress under Moyes he builds slowly but we are now a team that no one wants to play and i am happy to take that!

didnt mean to bring it OT for this thread so i'll leave it with this.....I'm not doubting he is a good manager, but he clearly doesn't belong in the company you listed him amongst. No more so than the likes of Hodgson, Redknapp (who's actually won something), O'Neill, Bruce etc.

See to me that sounds like an excuse for when things haven't gone as they should have.
    Well to me it means exactly what is says!

He may very well do but the fact remains that, despite spending more money than anyone else in the world, we went backwards in terms of league position and points total.

Can that be argued against? Of coarse it can it will take some time for a whole new team to gel perhaps 12 months, Jesus man why are you so negative, surly you understand football at this stage and know that players need time to adjust and settle down. All this and still at certain stages of the season man city played scintillating stuff. Time, time and more time all of which cant be bought

Yep he has signed some great players. Zabaleta has been the pick of the bunch for me.
    Oh 5hit i forgot about him excellent too.

Again that's desperately trying to put a silver lining on a poor season.

Whatever may have happened 2 or 3 seasons ago is completely void given our current affluent state.
    I don't agree, in fact i strongly disagree, our past shapes our future, for example winning and successful clubs are able to attract players based on there past performances, hence ye were not able to get Kaka at christmas, however if Real Madrid had bid the same amount he would be more likley to have joined them.

It's all well and good saying have patience but how patient do you think the owners will be? If we don't start next season on fire then Hughes will be gone by Christmas. That means another season is fecked around and this time next year we'll have gone nowhere, possibly even backwards again.

That's not something any City fan wants. We have an opportunity here to go places and win things. Our owners will eventually get bored with their toy and when they do I want us to have at least lived the life for a while. That looks a long way away right now after this season.

I'm really surprised by this last one, you have certainly gone down in my estimations . Best of luck next season (bar against Everton), and maybe they will sack Hughes and you will get your wish. I hope they don't he is a clever man and has the ability to catapult ye on to the next stage.A top 7 finish next season imo would be a great step forward, even though ye all want champions league. Rome was not built in a day, but it is still standing tall and has some solid foundations!

Rome is a **** hole.

didnt mean to bring it OT for this thread so i'll leave it with this.....I'm not doubting he is a good manager, but he clearly doesn't belong in the company you listed him amongst. No more so than the likes of Hodgson, Redknapp (who's actually won something), O'Neill, Bruce etc.

I respect your opinion , i just dont agree with it and neither do the LMA!

Rome is a **** hole.
    :D

• Advertisement

I'm really surprised by this last one, you have certainly gone down in my estimations .

Why? Because I want my club to maximise a once in a lifetime opportunity that the majority of others will not get to experience?

Come on now.
    Best of luck next season (bar against Everton), and maybe they will sack Hughes and you will get your wish.

I don't *wish* we change managers every 12 months. What we are striving for ultimately is success AND stability. You need both, and having gone backwards this season the latter is even further away than it was under Sven.
    I hope they don't he is a clever man and has the ability to catapult ye on to the next stage.A top 7 finish next season imo would be a great step forward, even though ye all want champions league.

Everybody said the same thing last August and here we are now - finished 10th, barely ahead of Stoke.
    Rome was not built in a day, but it is still standing tall and has some solid foundations!

Rome also had some top quality leaders.

I respect your opinion , i just dont agree with it and neither do the LMA!

people involved with football, PFA-LMA etc are the most clueless!;)

fully expect to see Hughes sporting this next year...

julius_caesar.JPG

people involved with football, PFA-LMA etc are the most clueless!;)

LOL, Who do you suggest do the voting then, perhaps you?
    Im not responding to any more of these by the way.
    I personally think DANGER Moyes is a world class manager you don't fair enough football is all about opinions, best of luck next year
    over and definitely out!

Why? Because I want my club to maximise a once in a lifetime opportunity that the majority of others will not get to experience?

Come on now. Fair point, but it cant be rushed it just cant!

I don't *wish* we change managers every 12 months. What we are striving for ultimately is success AND stability. You need both, and having gone backwards this season the latter is even further away than it was under Sven.
    Would you really prefer Sven? Look i already made the point that it take players time to adjust, it seems to me that no matter what point is made your opinion is not open to change!

Everybody said the same thing last August and here we are now - finished 10th, barely ahead of Stoke. Again with my main point, Time.

Rome also had some top quality leaders.

Yea but they was alot of back stabbers there to (in fact thats were the phrase "backstabber"comes from ......"et tu Brute".
    OK I'm finished with this now, best of luck next year personally i would love to see Man City joining the top four and making it a top five, it certainly is achievable but only in time.

tbh xavi your starting to sound like a newcastle fan. they had all the resources needed to break into the top and the demand for instant success ruined them. not what i want at city. even if the arabs leave in a few years and we're only where everton are now id say success. its a better base to move on from than what we've had. and its better than where newcastle are now.

on this seasons performance id easily give hughes another year. you keep talking about the league position, but we tried to do well in europe when everyone else dropped out. if spurs had tried in europe they may well have finished in the bottom half. also not once have we looked like being beat 8-1 or 6-0 this year, we also had a crap second half to svens season. id say we have improved.

I would probably be less critical had we qualified for Europe next year, but we didn't. Our domestic cup performances were a disgrace and our league position poor to say the least. If you take the Uefa Cup run out of the equation then it really is difficult to take too many positive things from the season. Put it this way, if we see a similar pattern developing next year then we'll have wasted two years. I'm just worried that could become a reality.

Barry in talks with City, its on Villas official site.

Public opinion of him will dip beyond belief if he is interested in that move.

Lovely stuff :D

Barry in talks with City, its on Villas official site.

Public opinion of him will dip beyond belief if he is interested in that move.

is that just because your a pool fan? :D. great for us if it happens.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement