Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

JPA wrote: »
    Is Tevez still "owned " by Kia whathisname? Or is he just his agent?
    Or is it all a bit questionable? Like could City sell Tevez tomorrow?

100% ours, we do our business properly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

bigstar wrote: »

25 mil for a rotation player? yeah great business alright.15 starts at the most?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

BBC pretty much calling Adebayor a done deal. :eek:

Krazeee over balanced squad ftw
    Adebayor passes Man City medical

Adebayor almost left Arsenal last summer when AC Milan came calling
    Emmanuel Adebayor has passed a medical and will move to Manchester City once his work permit is approved.

The Togo striker, who has spent three-and-a-half seasons at Arsenal, is believed to be valued at £25m.

The 25-year-old, who scored 16 times for the Gunners last season, has also been linked to AC Milan and Chelsea.

City boss Mark Hughes said as Carlos Tevez was unveiled: "There have been discussions and possibly a deal to be done but nothing has been concluded."

Speaking at the press conference to announce the signing of the former Manchester United striker, Hughes admitted that there could be more arrivals at the big-spending club before the start of the season.

"It may well be that opportunities will present themselves. We still have areas we want to strengthen," he said.

City are intent on building a new-look attack and as well as Tevez have also added Paraguayan Roque Santa Cruz to their ranks this summer, having signed Craig Bellamy last season.

The Eastlands outfit are eager to break into the Premier League's top four this coming season and have shown their determination with their close-season spending.

Midfielder Gareth Barry was bought from Aston Villa, and from under the noses of last season's Premier League runners-up Liverpool, for £12m and City paid Blackburn about £18m for Paraguay international forward Santa Cruz.

City completed a deal for Tevez on Tuesday - the Argentine joining after City paid a fee of about £25m to secure his registration from third party ownership after his contract with Premier League champions Manchester United expired.

And if Adebayor also makes the switch to Eastlands, City will have captured players from three of the leading six clubs in the top flight last season.

In Adebayor, City would be buying a player who has scored 62 goals in 142 appearances for Arsenal since he joined the Gunners from Monaco for £7m.

He hit 30 goals in the 2007/08 season but struggled with injuries in the last campaign and also incurred the wrath of some Arsenal fans, who felt the striker lacked commitment.

With the influx of big-name players at Eastlands comes a new challenge for manager Hughes, according to former Manchester City player Dennis Tueart.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The big challenge for managers now is to manage extremely wealthy young men, who do not need to work beyond their football careers.

"How does that affect their psyche and professionalism? These are things that the manager has got to sort out."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8149488.stm

The hunt for Terry goes on according to the Beeb
    Hughes continues pursuit of Terry

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes has reignited his interest in Chelsea captain John Terry.

City had a recent £30m bid for the 28-year-old England defender, a product of Chelsea's youth scheme, rejected.

"We think we could offer him a different challenge," said Hughes, who saw Terry as a youngster when the ex-Wales boss was a striker at Chelsea.

"When you have been with a club a long time, you get to a point when a change of scenery could reignite you."

Hughes spent the majority of his career at Manchester United before moving to Chelsea in 1995 for £1.5m.

He scored 39 goals in 123 appearances over three seasons for the west London club, while Terry was coming through the youth system.

"I have fantastic respect for John Terry, ever since I saw him as a young player when I was at Chelsea as a player myself," added Hughes.

"He's a great player and an outstanding captain but he's very much a Chelsea player at this moment in time."

City have reportedly offered Terry a £200,000-a-week deal, but Hughes stressed that money would not be the deciding factor.

"It's not a question of finance, or money, it is about a different challenge," he said.

"It is about John being at a different stage in his life and career, and maybe that is why there hasn't been a response (to commit himself to Chelsea) because John is seriously thinking in those terms.

"I went through that process as a player and I can understand if that is the way he is thinking."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8151039.stm

Bellamy linked with move to sunderland.
    They'll love that.

Sauce?

Not like Craig to move club so soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

bigstar wrote: »

Not that I don't believe you but do you have a link which specifically says this?
    I see Kia still lurking. Tevez should dump his ass if he has sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Bellamy linked with move to sunderland.
    They'll love that.
    Sauce?

Not like Craig to move club so soon

It was in the Daily heil but I don't think he can play for 3 clubs within 12 months, so he'll likely have to wait until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ecoli wrote: »
    25 mil for a rotation player? yeah great business alright.15 starts at the most?

I'd rather him for that price than what United got in Nani for £10 million less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness to City fans, why should they give a sh*te about what players cost them when money is absolutely no object to their owners.

Not that I don't believe you but do you have a link which specifically says this?

It's a 5 year permanent deal, none of that loan bollox that United had.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's a 5 year permanent deal, none of that loan bollox that United had.

Again, do you have a link to where it says it is permanent and he is not owned by Kia?

• Advertisement

Again, do you have a link to where it says it is permanent and he is not owned by Kia?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE56D4QQ20090714
    City paid a reported 25.5 million pounds for Tevez whose "economic rights" were owned by agent Kia Joorabchian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So what happens to the poor saps (esp young players) who thought Eastlands was thier home? Are you having a Real Madrid/Dutch Gold fire sale?

I'm still dubious. :)
    The same figure as United paid, ie. £5 million a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the premier league rules were changed so that no 3rd party could own a player iirc

yabadabado wrote: »
    the premier league rules were changed so that no 3rd party could own a player iirc

So City paid £25 million to who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

to the group of investors who owned Tevez's registration - fronted by and largely owned by Kia Jorbachian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/jul/14/manchestercity-carlos-tevez

If you want mroe depth there's lots of articles online about it. You could read them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

I'm still dubious. :)
    The same figure as United paid, ie. £5 million a year.

the asking price for tevez was 25 mill city payed it now he's there's.. when united got tevez on loan it was made pretty clear that he was on a loan deal if this was the case with city it would have been made apparent that it was a loan deal.. city actually bought him and now have his economic rights as they call it.. I'm pretty sure kia is his agent so he'll still be his agent i suppose..
    one thing is i'm surprised kia didn't try milk city for more then the 25 mill seen as its known they have a nice bucket load of money.. Tevez could of made it clear that he wanted to go to city and nowhere else and told kia to accept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Linked with Bently now. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I see Kia still lurking. Tevez should dump his ass if he has sense.

He's still his agent isn't he? Tevez has huge loyalty to the guy and will probably want him around for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

So City paid £25 million to who?

Kia Joorabchian i would guess. That is who they acquired the rights to the player from.

The lads havin the craic in Abu Dhabi today -

rsc_ireland_tevez_barry.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=450&thn=0&w=800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Carlos doesn't look happy, I see in the Daily Mail.

In the pic above, looks like Gareth Barry cracked a bald joke.

I wouldn't fancy training on that pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Harpy wrote: »
    one thing is i'm surprised kia didn't try milk city for more then the 25 mill seen as its known they have a nice bucket load of money.. Tevez could of made it clear that he wanted to go to city and nowhere else and told kia to accept.
    Or it could have been the best offer received. An odd transfer in that sense because if no one stumped up Kia's asking price what was he going to do with Tevez. While Tevez plays and earns Kia will get his 20% or whatever it is, otherwise he has an expensive player no one will buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

It certainly adds more weight to ferguson's claims that an agreement had been in place since january. He would have obviously rejected the lower bid of the agreed amount from united if he was guaranteed more from city. I think kia is probably too shrewd/sneaky to allow a situation where nobody wanted to buy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The lads havin the craic in Abu Dhabi today -

rsc_ireland_tevez_barry.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=450&thn=0&w=800

Maybe Ireland just told them what he earns a week. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

are there any tickets available yet for the friendly against Celtic???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

OK, time to play devil's advocate here. I am 42 supporting City since I was 8 or so. In that time we've not won anything but the odd match of note. I'll concede I was thrilled by the signing of Tevez and Barry and I'd like to see Lescott arrive. I also want to experience what it's like to win silverware (OK Bray won the FAI Cup in 1999 but anyhoo..) but come on, Adebayor? Terry? and for stupid money too. I fear the community spirit that surrounds the club will be killed off and we'll become a franchise type operation supported by ex Newcastle/Leeds/Blackburn/Arsenal "fans". Already Ryanair are milking the flights-check their prices against our home fixtures. And that's if you can get a ticket for a game. I was slagged off twice yesterday for wearing a retro City shirt for "jumping on the bandwagon"-by total strangers. I hope it doesn't end in tears and I hope we don't become the new Chelski. C&C welcome as they say on the photography forum....

All valid enough points, but I'm going to have zero sympathy for those claiming they can't get tickets. Last season the best fans in all the world couldn't even be arsed to fill the stadium for a European quarter final. They'll be the same ones moaning now when they can't jump on the bandwagon as easy. The proper fans will still get/have ways of getting tickets, it'll just be the glory hunters left in the cold and that's alright by me. As for the players, if you want us to win silverware then something has to give. We might be selling our soul a little but if we emulate Chelsea's success then I won't lose much sleep.

Just gone up in Manchester apparently -

TEVEZ%20poster.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I was slagged off twice yesterday for wearing a retro City shirt for "jumping on the bandwagon"-by total strangers.

This will happen alot to you now. If i ever see someone walking around Bray in a retro City shirt im going to say it to them :)

I'm looking forward to the bandwagon comments - there's nothing I like better than the smell of burning idiot in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm curious as to what formation City are planning to play with their 9 strikers :)

Really though what will they do about their defense? Lescott and Terry seem unlikely to be Manchester bound given that both clubs have stated they aren't for sale and there is no real pressure on the managers to do so.

Dunne and Richards have been linked with a move away so it wouldn't even be strengthening....

The proper fans will still get/have ways of getting tickets, it'll just be the glory hunters left in the cold and that's alright by me. As for the players, if you want us to win silverware then something has to give. We might be selling our soul a little but if we emulate Chelsea's success then I won't lose much sleep.

I agree but I don't want to reach the stage where I have to go to touts for tickets (thanks An Bord Snip Nua!!) and great as long as it is the "new" supporters that are left outside. Of course I want to win silverware and it's great to be in the limelight for once. There's just a nagging voice telling me it's all going to end in tears.

The bottom line is it's never going to be the same and a part of me is sad about that because City and its support is built in the local community (unlike a certain other team) and that and the complete unpredictability of a succession of teams was always part of the draw. Before I'm hammered for this, yeah, I know I'm not a part of that community but there's always a welcome in even the roughest parts of Manchester-or the airport-or the train stations-or from the local constabulary-once your allegiance becomes clear. That is the type of thing I fear is now in the past. OK we are about to join the big league but don't forget jokers like Pollock, Peacock, Bradbury, Clough, Daley, Reeves and Sun Jihai. They were all crap to a man but at least they were honest!

As I said I'm just playing devil's advocate but there's just a nagging feeling about this new direction........

CHD wrote: »
    This will happen alot to you now. If i ever see someone walking around Bray in a retro City shirt im going to say it to them :)

Forewarned is forearmed but just to say my young lad also has a retro shirt so if you get a puzzled look it's probably him:)

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Forewarned is forearmed but just to say my young lad also has a retro shirt so if you get a puzzled look it's probably him:)
    I will leave you's alone! Your going to come close to wanting to smack randomer's who are apparently experts on football and know you only support City for the money (Don't try convinve them!). These are the same idiots who wear Sunderland and United Jerseys and can't expalin why they support them, Bray is full of them!

At least us Chelsea fans won't be getting the winner picker abuse anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Just gone up in Manchester apparently -

TEVEZ%20poster.jpg

:D

LOL brilliant

I'm looking forward to the bandwagon comments - there's nothing I like better than the smell of burning idiot in the morning.
    Ah I wouldn't worry, they're not going to set you on fire, just laugh at you.:p

Fair play CHD but you're dead right about the wearing of replica shirts around Bray-and also Dubalin shirts!!
    CHD wrote: »
    These are the same idiots who wear Sunderland and United Jerseys and can't expalin why they support them, Bray is full of them!

I see on the website the new home shirt size 54" is sold out. Does that mean we have a few ex-Newcastle already?;)

Does anyone else find it rather strange that the powers that be at City, didn't make their move for Lescott at the same time they were agreeing the Jo loan deal? If the loan deal hadn't been agreed already, it would have been an extra card to play when dealing with Everton over Lescott. City could have offered £15m and Jo on loan as their initial offer for Lescott.
    Looking at it now, it just seems that City carelessly threw away an advantage for no real reason.

• Advertisement

i think getting jo's wages off the books and his influence out of the club, along with the fee for the loan was considered better business than having to hang on to him if the lescott deal didnt happen

A clause for an agreed fee for Jo can also be inserted into the lescott deal - ultimately it would still be up to the player to decide if he wanted to make the deal permanent - which would have taken the lescott transfer out of city's hands and into Jo's if it had been a condition of the two way transfer

flahavaj wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't worry, they're not going to set you on fire, just laugh at you.:p

You smell good.

You smell good.

Poor.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lol at the score..

Most amusing on the scoreline even if tis a meaningless pre-season:D

2-0 to the Orlando Pirates for those who cant see it

Cue Hughes on the phone to any and all defenders again.

Oooh Pirates hit the woodwork - should really have made it three there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Watched City fans being interviewed on SSN last night:

"Were not just here to make up the numbers like we have been for the last couple of years"

Last COUPLE of years??? Deluded or what?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How ironic

Orlando Pirates beat the bunch of Pirates!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

lol @ everyone crawling out of the woodwork now to pour scorn on city, shame on you all now crawl back to your holes.Although I haven't seen this thread as active for a while now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement