Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Gillington wrote: »
    Just thinking about it there,We get Lescott for 24 million or whatever,Everton sign John Heitinga for 6mil.Who's getting the better deal here!?

Is Hughesy insistence on signing players with "Premiership experience" good or bad for us? Obviously figures like the Lescott one are a ripple in the massive Dubai golden lake of money but does that mean he has to spend it willynilly.And fair enough Adebayor has started well to sorta counter my point,but on my original point,I think we could get players of the same quality for half(or in Heitinga/Lescott's case) a quarter of the price.

Thoughts?

All that matters is that Hughes thinks Lescott is better than Heitinga. If he costs 50 million more than Heitinga what does it matter ? All City have to do is persuade the best players it can to join where the cost is of no relevance. Leave the value shopping to clubs that need to balance their books or service debt. ;)

you've won the lottery, don't worry about the price of milk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Gillington wrote: »
    Just thinking about it there,We get Lescott for 24 million or whatever,Everton sign John Heitinga for 6mil.Who's getting the better deal here!?

Is Hughesy insistence on signing players with "Premiership experience" good or bad for us? Obviously figures like the Lescott one are a ripple in the massive Dubai golden lake of money but does that mean he has to spend it willynilly.And fair enough Adebayor has started well to sorta counter my point,but on my original point,I think we could get players of the same quality for half(or in Heitinga/Lescott's case) a quarter of the price.

Thoughts?

no i think hes doing the right thing. if we have real ambitions to break into the top 4 and maybe win things, we have to get the best available in the league. so far weve bought players from arsenal, everton, villa and united, all teams ahead of us which is the way to do it imo. it wont always be this way but at the mo were trying to catch up with those ahead of us which takes lotsa cash. if we break into the top 4 this year or next it will easily have been worth it, considering how dominant they have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Dunne - SHAFTED.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5535762,00.html

City may have money but they don't have scruples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just preordered the new shirt. How feckin class is it?!

Ireland3.jpg
    Ireland2.jpg
    Ireland1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

ireland is overated robinho overated who arent are good team u just have money that is it the truth hurts ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

liam09 wrote: »
    ireland is overated robinho overated who arent are good team u just have money that is it the truth hurts ouch

Post of the year contender imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

:eek:

Sizzler wrote: »
    Dunne - SHAFTED.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5535762,00.html

City may have money but they don't have scruples.

yeah seems so. disappointed hes gone and with how it was done.

LOL and :confused:

• Advertisement

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/09/07/manual_083301.html
    ROBINHO TARGETING TITLE

Manchester City ace Robinho sees no reason why Mark Hughes' side cannot challenge for the title this season.

The Brazil, who has been linked with a January move to Barcelona, thinks they have made good signings during the close season.

With a host of world-class additions on board during the transfer window the ex-Real Madrid man believes they have the talent to succeed.

The 25-year-old thinks that would a little extra mental strength they can finish top of the Premier League ladder come the end of the season.

"The club have set their sights high this year and backed that up in the transfer market," said Robinho.

"There have been great addition - now we need to under we must be stronger mentally.

"We can be like that this season and have what it takes to go for the title.

"The more I think about it, the more I think this year must be our year."

Gotta admire the little fella's optimism!

interesting to see brain kidd at the academy. hopefully things continue to go well even with cassell gone to dubai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

I don't watch that much English football but I have to say I was a bit disgusted when I found out Dunne would be sold, but just watching him on Saturday maby Mark Hughes was right. Souness said after the game that he feels Dunne is always just one step away from being a top defender and I think he was right.

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    I don't watch that much English football but I have to say I was a bit disgusted when I found out Dunne would be sold, but just watching him on Saturday maby Mark Hughes was right. Souness said after the game that he feels Dunne is always just one step away from being a top defender and I think he was right.

well hes not a top four defender, but were not a top four club (yet ;)), a good defender though. i do think he was hard done by though, if he wanted to stay he should have been given the chance to fight for a place, he has been with us for nearly a decade, counts for nothing these days.

plus i cant see hughes wanting him gone unless he felt he was a bad inlfluence, hughes wants 22 first team players. read an interview with dunne who said it was cook who wanted him out. cook has a bit too much of say in things for me. could be BS though.

2 stories for you. Kidd joins City and Tevez could miss the next couple of games. Shame was looking forward to Tevez playing against Utd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8241900.stm

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/09/07/1486920/manchester-citys-carlos-tevez-set-to-miss-arsenal-manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Tevez could miss the next couple of games. Shame was looking forward to Tevez playing against Utd

or miss more than one game to make it look less obvious he's ducking the Utd game?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    or miss more than one game to make it look less obvious he's ducking the Utd game?

seems like a mightily farfetched theory since Argentina have a big qualifier on Wed and they are in danger of missing the World Cup. In short, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

City have become the latest club to be reported to FIFA for inducing a player to break his pre-contract. Rennes have lodged a complaint with FIFA over Man City's signing of Jeremy Helan (who looked odds on to sign for United at one point) who they say signed a pre-contract with them at the age of 13 and became their player when he represented France at youth level.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5543626,00.html
    Rennes have confirmed they have reported Manchester City to Fifa over the alleged poaching of French youngster Jeremy Helan.

City boss Mark Hughes snapped up the teenage defender earlier this year after he reportedly opted against seeing out his first professional contract with Rennes.

The Clairefontaine academy player had been wanted by Manchester United in 2008, but the Ligue 1 outfit dug in their heels over his departure.

With The Red Devils out of the picture City moved in, much to the anger of Rennes who insist that his pre-contract agreement tied both him and the club to a contract if he represented France at youth level.

Transfer ban

If found guilty of inducing a youngster to break a contract City could well find themselves in hot water with football's governing body after Chelsea were recently banned from signing new players until January 2011 over their pursuit of Gael Kakuta
    Although Rennes' technical director Pierre Dreossi does not expect a decision to be made anytime soon, he fully expects big-spending City to face ramifications over their actions.

City are understood to be adamant in their belief that they have not induced a breach of contract in a case which is further complicated by the fact that Helan and Rennes are at odds, legally, over what he initially signed up to.

Consequences
    "Manchester City must now realise the consequences of their attitude in the Helan case as it is even more illegal than Kakuta," Dreossi told The Independent.

"We have referred this to Fifa. For us it was strange to have no discussion from City and now, in the week after the Fifa declaration on Chelsea, I would hope that it will be the same thing for Manchester City.

"Kakuta signed up for just a possibility of a full contract. For Helan there was definitely one there, under the terms of the pre-contract agreement, because he had played for his country.

"Manchester United said it was not possible to negotiate with us but for City now this is dangerous, though we are not expecting a decision from Fifa for perhaps several years."

Good thing our academy's so strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Good thing our academy's so strong.

Guess you'll have to stop shipping out the best prospects to Chelsea then

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Guess you'll have to stop shipping out the best prospects to Chelsea then

Sturridge was a good prospect, not the best one.

Disappointing to lose him but his attitude will prevent him from ever living up to his potential sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

City is hardly the place for a young forward to try and break through with 30 odd million of strikers in reserve.

Doubtful it was his attitude that was the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I have seen interviews with Sturridge where he almost proclaims himself as the second coming. He is a very good player, no doubt about that but I agree with Xavi here-his attitude will hold him back unless he cops on a bit.

City is hardly the place for a young forward to try and break through with 30 odd million of strikers in reserve.

But we didn't have £30 million worth of strikers in reserve last year when he was pushing for a place. We had Benjani, Caicedo, Vassell, Evans and, for the second half of the season, Bojinov and Bellamy. Sturridge had already decided to leave before Tevez, Ade and RSC were signed.

He threw a hissy fit when he wasn't picked, despite only really playing well twice (once away to Schalke in the Uefa, and once when came of the bench away to Blackburn).

He wanted to go to London for a bit of glitz and glamour and Chelsea gave him the excuse to do so. Good luck to him, I hope he does well because he has the necessary talent, but he is currently too big for his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

'It's not easy to say no to a club like Barcelona,' he said while on international duty with Brazil.

'They are European champions, they're in a lovely city and I like Spain a lot.

'I have always wanted to play at clubs like Barcelona. It's a great club, any player would be happy for them to show an interest.

'I'm happy that Barcelona have taken notice of me. Who wouldn't like to play alongside Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Lional Messi, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and all the rest. I like Barcelona; they're a great club.'

:)

• Advertisement

Meh, we've got Vladi Weiss ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article6831582.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1
    Manchester City are paying an astonishing £47 million fee to Carlos Tévez’s private “owners” in a move that obliterates the British transfer record. The deal makes the Argentina striker the fifth most expensive footballer of all time.

City’s billionaire Arab owners have agreed to pay almost twice the £25.5 million fee widely reported to have changed hands, The Times can reveal. An initial £15 million payment is to be followed by two additional sums of £16 million.

Another £3.5 million will be paid if City win the Champions League while Tévez is at the club — an improbable scenario, but Sheikh Mansour has already shown the lengths to which he is prepared to go to transform the club from perennial underachievers into contenders for the biggest prizes.

One of the Sheikh’s first moves when he took over 12 months ago was to smash the British transfer record by paying Real Madrid £34.2 million for Robinho, the Brazil forward.

But that fee is dwarfed by the £47 million deal for Tévez, which ranks behind only the signings of Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Kaká, and Zinédine Zidane, for £80 million, £60.7 million, £56.1 million and £47.2 million respectively, as the most expensive.

The revelation is the latest twist in the extraordinary saga surrounding Tévez, whose name has rarely been out of the headlines since he arrived at West Ham United in August 2006 and sparked huge controversy about third-party ownership.

And it deepens the mystery about where the money is going.

The Times understands that it is paid to two offshore companies but Kia Joorabchian, the businessman who fronts the consortium that owned the rights to Tévez until City bought the player outright in July, has never explained who the beneficiaries are.

Nonetheless, Tévez has represented a handsome bit of business. The investors stand to make an estimated profit of at least £46.5 million from an assortment of fees received for a player whose “economic rights” they originally bought from Boca Juniors for £14 million in 2005.

They are understood to include a fee of £4.5 million from West Ham, where Tévez spent the 2006-07 season, a £9 million payment from Manchester United to cover the cost of the player’s two-year “loan” at Old Trafford and now the sum from City.

City’s outlay does not end there, though. On top of the £47 million fee, the club are paying Tévez a salary of £7.5 million a year, or just under £145,000 a week. His wages over a five-year contract take City’s total projected outlay on the striker to £84.5 million, a staggering sum even by City’s inflated standards.

In all, City’s billionaire owner has committed £770.986 million, which includes the £200 million it cost to buy the club, the £342.786 million committed on players’ contracts and £10 million spent on improving the Carrington training headquarters, City of Manchester Stadium and the club’s academy. Mark Hughes, the City manager, has spent £140 million on six leading players this summer and £218.2 million in transfer fees in total since Sheikh Mansour’s takeover, during which time City’s annual wage bill has more than doubled to just under £95 million.

Hughes has repeatedly insisted that City will walk away from deals they deem to be too expensive, but the figures involved for Tévez will doubtless lead some to question whether that is the case — and, moreover, whether the player is worth it. It is the inevitable reality of City’s position that they will face a premium on players but the sums paid for Tévez seem all the more mind-boggling given how reluctant United were to meet the £25.5 million asking price originally agreed with Joorabchian on top of the £9 million already paid.

Although the Barclays Premier League champions eventually agreed to do the deal, David Gill, the United chief executive, relented only after Ronaldo had been sold to Real Madrid. In the end, Tévez turned down their offer to stay at Old Trafford and joined City instead.

What Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, makes of the true figure paid for Tévez remains to be seen, given that he made a point of saying during the summer that the Argentinian was overpriced.

“In my opinion, I don’t think he was worth £25 million,” Ferguson has said. “He was popular with the supporters. The fans rightly have their heroes and I was happy to go along with the deal as it was the right one but, quite simply, he is not worth £25 million.”

City, of course, will not view it that way, even if the move is, in part, a reflection of their eagerness to land big-name signings in the wake of the failed pursuits of Kaká, Samuel Eto’o and John Terry. Joorabchian may also have argued that the fee agreed with United two years ago was no longer a fair valuation of a player who has subsequently won consecutive league championships and lifted the European Cup.

The problem for City is whether they have created a rod for their own back by paying such a sum for Tévez, who must now carry the tag of being the most expensive player in the Premier League as well as one of the highest paid.

The money may represent small change for the royal family of Abu Dhabi but £47 million on Tévez will still cause gasps among City’s fans.

Inflationary moves

£47m

The fee Manchester City are paying for Carlos Tévez, an English record

£34.2m

The previous English record, paid by City to Real Madrid for Robinho

£80m

The world-record fee for Cristiano Ronaldo, when he moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic went from Inter Milan to Barcelona for a package worth £60.7 million. Tévez’s transfer is the fifth highest globally with Kaká and Zinédine Zidane costing more

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wouldn't believe that tbh.

no sources, no quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

story anyone know where the game is been shown in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

£47 mill to get a cheap dig at your neighbours. If its true thats gas.:pac:

• Advertisement

Robinho out for a month with a stress fracture in his ankle apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

No problem, Ade looked today like he could break both ankles and still get up and run the whole game the way he wanted it to go:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Headshot wrote: »

Personally I don't believe the story but If thats true it's the biggest waste of money in transfer history. He's a good player but not in that league, at £47 million they would have had a chance of getting Torres or someone of that caliber.

As I said I don't believe the story why would they bid nealy double the amount united were reluctant to offer. I very much doubt there was anyone else offering anywhere near that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You know with the way hes played so far since joining City and with Bellamy's unreal workrate today where he was tackling in his own box one minute and scoring a few seconds later down the other, the thought struck me that Robinho better seriously get the finger out if hes gonna be first choice when he comes back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I cannot wait for Chelsea -v- City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

CHD wrote: »
    I cannot wait for Chelsea -v- City.

When is the Chelsea V City game on???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

When is the Chelsea V City game on???
    Eastlands Dec 5th and Stamford Bridge Feb 27th :(

Hopefully Essien and Drogba are ok for the home tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Horribly disappointed with the result but well done City

oh some game at the weekend. great result for us. condolences frisbee.

one thing that i notice in the first few games this season is that we dont really step it up another gear, i suppose we havent had to yet, but weve had some close games so far and seem to hold back and try and just play enough to win. personally id like to see us go out and pick off the games early, but 4 wins is 4 wins.

anyone else think that van persies tackle on ade was a bit rash and the reaction was, over the top but a little understandable. anyway massive game next week, i guess this is when it all falls apart :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

bigstar wrote: »
    anyone else think that van persies tackle on ade was a bit rash and the reaction was, over the top but a little understandable.

RVP tackle was strong. Ade saw it coming.
    I don't think I would ever see a genuine reason for stamping on someones face.

• Advertisement

MikeySligo wrote: »
    RVP tackle was strong. Ade saw it coming.
    I don't think I would ever see a genuine reason for stamping on someones face.

never said it was but i can understand the reaction. very little has been made of van persies tackle and his cursing at the city fans. you shouldnt retaliate but that doesnt make you a monster if you do. ade should get punished for the stamp/kick but it wasnt just an unprovoked attacked, and what of van persie, surely he deserves some punishment too. too footed tackle, studs showing, thats not pretty either.

linky http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8262446.stm

apparently were giving up the spending, and focus on youth instead. good to hear that the academy is still important, the sovakian weiss looks like another good prospect. i suppose it all depends on how well the season goes. if its all crap at xmas i can see the check book coming out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

linky http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8262446.stm

apparently were giving up the spending, and focus on youth instead. good to hear that the academy is still important, the sovakian weiss looks like another good prospect. i suppose it all depends on how well the season goes. if its all crap at xmas i can see the check book coming out again.

not to the same extent though, maybe one or 2 if even.

not to the same extent though, maybe one or 2 if even.

well i think thats the gist of what were going to do now. one or two players each window if needs be. but thats all based on us having enough players to make a difference in the league, which i believe we do. but this is city. anyway we'll know more after sunday.

anyway we'll know more after sunday.

apart the goal in extra extra injury time. id say we look decent for the rest of the season. we didnt give up after conceding. we look really good when attacking. bellamy is on fire. tevez while good will be better. de jong is class. only problem is our poxy defence. set pieces are a worry and for two tall strong lads toure and lescott looked rubbish under crosses. micah still looks a worry to me. get zab back in. but we wont be at OT every week so....

have to say irelands been a bit quite too.

hopefully we bounce back tomorrow night.

And we did bounce back. Good win despite it being a bit scrappy. Another 90 minutes under the belt for Carlos. Two goals from corners as well! :eek:

another point last night, and a decent performance. if villa didnt have such a good night in defence we could have won that game quite comfortably it think. going to places like stoke or bolton should provide us with more points than last year. still think we have another gear to step up so hopefully we will and that defence starts to improve. nice position to be in coming into the break and at last something to look forward to.

nice read here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so a home draw against the mighty fullham

was ireland really on the bench from the off?

trouble in the camp?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    so a home draw against the mighty fullham

Well spotted
    was ireland really on the bench from the off?

Yes, same as the last few games. Barry and De Jong are a good partnership.
    trouble in the camp?

Why would there be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement