Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just hearing rumours that Hughes has left City?

Any truth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Just hearing rumours that Hughes has left City?

Any truth?

Sunderland fan at the game just rang me, apparently that's the word around the stadium at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Roberto Mancini is at the game today; and is 6 to 1 on to be the next City manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Roberto Mancini is at the game today. Apparently now the odds on favourite to be new manager.

Italian press reporting he has already signed a deal apparently, and it will be announced after the game, or tomorrow.

I guess we'll find out in ten minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That is some of the best 45 minutes of football I've watched in a very long time. More of the same please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

City making official announcement at 7.30pm tonight - one can only assume it means mancini. Seems a bit premature to me - but in fairness - if your team can beat Chelsea and Arsenal, score 3 away at united, but can't beat burnley fulham or hull at home, your pretensions of a top 4 finish seem way off the mark. I think hughes would get it right over time - but it seems time is not something he is being given.

Well done lads, best of luck for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So what do you think of mancini how do you think he'll do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So what do you think of mancini how do you think he'll do?

tbh I think Hughes was great for City. He signed the right players and has made a great improvement to the team and I think Mancini will drive City into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

honestly what does it matter what team they play lol. if there heart isnt in it, which im sure most of theres isnt, they`ll suffer.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Has he really been that bad overall for you lot this season?

I've heard other Manchester City fans absolutely slating him to death over his performances this season, I haven't really seen enough of him myself to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the other threads are understandably overloaded with talk about how Hughes was dismissed, but a very interesting topic that's being overlooked is what people think of Mancini and how he will perform.

A lot of the English commentators and journos seem to be skeptical, but I read an interesting little column by Paddy Agnew in the Irish Times today.

He seems to think Mancini is a dead cert to succeed, and his achievements so far in what is a relatively short managerial career would appear to back this notion. Secondly, most people seem to think the big risk is his lack of experience in the English game, but given how little experience Ancelotti, Mourinho, Hiddink and Grant had I think it's clear this is no longer an issue in the modern game.

So what's the mood among City fans?

My mood is poor. We treated Hughes disgracefully and this is a sideways step imo. If we had gotten Hiddink or the like then you could understand it but this is shameful.

In general, the fans are divided, just as they were when Hughes arrived, however pretty much everyone is in agreement that this was not the way to handle things.

Of course I'll support Mancini but he has a lot of people to win over, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Anyone else think a move for Forlan/Aguero is likely? Lying a lowly 15th in La Liga albeit still in Europe with the Europa League.

Robinho seemingly on his way in the summer, is there a chance of landing one of the above?

I think we as fans just need to get on with it. No amount of collective hand wringing now will bring Hughes back or change the circumstances in which he was dropped. Some of the things I've seen posted on boards here (not city fans) and on bluemoon have been way over the top, you would think no other club in the history of football had fired a manager.

All I hope now is that we can keep the players we have now and get back to some form of stability as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I read a book once about City called "Cups for Cock Ups" (true!). It reckoned that if we had a cup for every cock up made over the years the trophy cabinet would need an extension. City have always made cock ups and us supporters are used to them. In an ironic, twisted sort of way, for us it's the attraction!

This was a cock up from start to finish. Hughes' sacking; his successor in the director's box watching on; player's revolts; that shambles of a press conference yesterday; Cook reckons the target is 70 points-you don't need me to do the maths. It's a farce.

I posted earlier in this thread that it would end in tears and I don't want to say "I told you so" but...... what I meant was that we would win trophies but at what cost?

Like a lot of posters here I have been across, lately with my son, to two stadia to watch City at home, to locals who think we're even madder than they are because of it but who always, always, welcome us warmly. Now I think I might stick with my Bray Wanderers season ticket. It might not be up to much but at least it's honest.

As I say we're used to the cock ups, we've rolled our eyes many a time to them but this was not just a cock up-it was a CLINICAL and CYNICAL cock up and that's just not my MCFC anymore. Frankly, I'm disgusted by it all. The fans and the community don't matter anymore. The dreaded word "project" is like a mantra now.

Rant over and soul searching begins (at least I still have one!).

• Advertisement

Time to get behind Mancio now I guess.

mancini_scarf.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=450&thn=0&w=800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No offense to the City fans, but I hope he is a huge failure. Hughes should never have been sacked, after hearing that the target was seventy points. 6 points from his next two games would have them on target at the halfway stage for exactly that.

I just don't want to see this work out for the owners, it would be a lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of hiring the Italian.

He is one handsome Bástárd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Boggles wrote: »

SM1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

No_name_207626t.jpg_46971839_minici.jpg

Anyone one else see this :pac::pac::pac:

He's no Roque -

50857.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm worried. Arsenal appoint Arsene, huge success. Mancity appoint Mancini...

See what I did there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wolfgang Wolf was only ok for Wolfsburg though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah but he only had the first four letters matching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

JPA wrote: »
    Wolfgang Wolf was only ok for Wolfsburg though.

First and second name messes up the cosmic polarity I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ush1 wrote: »
    First and second name messes up the cosmic polarity I reckon.

lol wp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

So whats the feeling about the type of squad hell start putting out though. Will he stick with the current system, go more attacking or more defensive?

I've a feeling hell go more defensive, with maybe the 2 big guys up front on their lonesome playing counter attacking football, maybe leaving Tevez up there to hold the ball up?

folan wrote: »
    So whats the feeling about the type of squad hell start putting out though. Will he stick with the current system, go more attacking or more defensive?

I've a feeling hell go more defensive, with maybe the 2 big guys up front on their lonesome playing counter attacking football, maybe leaving Tevez up there to hold the ball up?

First thing he needs to do is shore up that defence, he has already indicated he will so thats all good. I expect they will start playing the ball more on teh ground and stop the long ball crap (sorry sparky), so should suit a lot of the players we already have, including superman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Any further news on the players being unhappy at the appointment/manner of hughes dismissal I hear bellamy and given in particular are very annoyed?

P.S. Spurs named after Harry Hotspur*
    So beware Harry Redknapp

*alledgedly

Not a bad piece on Bellamy
    Football supporters love to hate certain players, and it's usually deserved to some extent. But it's a little rarer for these public enemies to improve their social stock almost regardless of what they do.

Craig Bellamy was, once upon a time, a remarkably easy man to dislike. His constant mouthing off on the pitch did little to endear himself to supporters, while several ugly incidents went a long way to making him one of those players who get booed week in, week out at countries the length and breadth of the nation.

But while I always considered Bellamy to be an abrasive little ****, there's often been a nagging feeling that he didn't really do anything I wouldn't have considered an achievement had I done it myself.

After all, I'd tell Coventry City I was leaving if they got relegated. I'd call Alan Shearer worse names than Bellamy could ever conjure up. I'd also happily have a quiet word with John Arne Riise with a golf club handy. The man picks his "victims" well - he's like a violent little Robin Hood of morality.

I'm joking of course, but the point is that none of these incidents necessarily make Bellamy a bad bloke. It's easy to see that he might just be a stupid one, or rather he used to just be a stupid one.

I think Craig Bellamy is a vastly different player and man from the one who went around burning bridge after bridge throughout the early part of his career. He seems so much more mature (when did he last do something which justified the abuse he gets?), and he does more good than bad. I'll come back to morals, here. Unlike most footballers, he wants to help people less fortunate than himself and stand up for his beliefs.

That has to be admired.

His work in the war-torn West African state of Sierra Leone is a well-known and oft-cited example of the Welsh international's good intentions and strong moral fibre. His latest episode would appear to be a stand against the sacking of Manchester City manager Mark Hughes.

I have no time for Hughes, but I have total respect for the fact that Bellamy gets on well with him - after all, Hughes got the best out of Bellamy for City, Blackburn Rovers and the Welsh national team - and is displeased with his shoddy treatment by Garry effing Cook and Manchester effing City.

And amongst all that, he speaks like an erudite and intelligent man and has been in the form of his life. At West Ham United, he impressed me hugely. No surprise, then, that he's made a success of his time at City and escaped an undeserved potential exit from the club when the Abu Dhabi bottomless pit bored itself through the soul of a proud old football club.

His pace and strength are his best assets, and he also has wonderful vision and a vicious shot of which I, as an opposing supporter, am frankly terrified. His ability has never really been in question. But these days his application is undeniably good and he's reaping the rewards.

So is Craig Bellamy...(gulp)...one of football's good guys? I'd love him at my club, that's for sure.

Sylvinho interview -

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Interviews/Sylvinho-and-Robinho-sing-Citys-praises

Nice to see Robson in good spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any news on who Mancini will look to bring in during the transfer window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not a bad piece on Bellamy
    Imo Craig Bellamy has played his best football under Mark Hughes, he was superb at Blackburn in the year he spent there and so far this year.

I will be interesting to see if his game regresses now that Hughes is gone.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Imo Craig Bellamy has played his best football under Mark Hughes, he was superb at Blackburn in the year he spent there and so far this year.

I will be interesting to see if his game regresses now that Hughes is gone.
    Yeah, I think if Hughes has a post by the end of January, or in the summer, Bellamy will be off with him.

Yeah, I think if Hughes has a post by the end of January, or in the summer, Bellamy will be off with him.

Or spurs when pav goes?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2783762/It-could-be-You-for-Mancini.html
    It could be You for Mancini

NEW Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is set to make Younes Kaboul his first signing in a shock £8million January swoop.
    City are looking to bring in the much-improved Portsmouth star during next month's transfer window.

And it is believed a switch could be completed in the next few days. A source close to the deal said: "There is firm interest from Manchester City so we shall see how it develops in the next few days."

With £24m summer signing Joleon Lescott out until mid-February, Mancini desperately needs cover at the back.

And cash-strapped South Coast outfit Pompey are ready to offload their French centre-back.

Kaboul, 23, has adapted to the rigours of the Premier League at Fratton Park after an indifferent start to his career in England with Tottenham.

He has been one of the mainstays of Pompey's starting line-up this season and has even netted three times in 20 appearances, his last goal coming in a 1-1 draw at Sunderland on December 12.

The ex-France Under-21 international can also play as a defensive midfielder and can give Mancini different options.

:eek: Surely it can't be true? Surely....?

If it happens then I'll be leading the "Mancini Out" campaign :pac:

• Advertisement

Good God.

It says he'll give him different options, what about Kompany? He was doing fantastic. Give him a chance.

Yeah, 'cos the last signing from Portsmouth was such a roaring success. Maybe they're getting us back for Ben Haim:D

Really good interview with Bellers -

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Exclusive-Interview-Craig-Bellamy-I-owe-it-all-to-Mark-Hughes-but-I-ve-not-spoken-to-him-since-he-was-sacked-by-Manchester-City-article269105.html

Most importantly -
    "I wasn't upset about being left out of the starting line up against Stoke on Boxing Day. I knew about that at least four days earlier.

"I have had seven knee operations in the last nine years and it is no secret that I struggle to play two games in a week because of my patella tendon.

"The physios went to see Mancini about it early in the week and he was great. He understood. Me playing two games in three days just wasn't going to happen. The headlines from it about me being dropped were predictable but they weren't accurate.

"I've just seen Cesc Fabregas score for Arsenal after coming off the bench. They didn't say he was dropped, did they?

Lol how true.

Happy with tonight's performance. Great result. Leaving Liverpool training now though a draw tomorrow would be another result. Bellamy top class tonight and as for Tevez....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Keep it up lads, keep it up!!!!!!

G'wan the city:D

Ah Tevez. Overrated, overpriced and doesn't score enough goals. Waste of money :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ah Tevez. Overrated, overpriced and doesn't score enough goals. Waste of money :pac:

Over-rated and doesn't score enough goals - they can be debated.

Overpriced - not a shadow of a doubt. ;)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2783762/It-could-be-You-for-Mancini.html

:eek: Surely it can't be true? Surely....?

If it happens then I'll be leading the "Mancini Out" campaign :pac:

It is the sun though. not the most reliable for soccer gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

With Toure gone and on last nights performance, do people think Garrido might get a run in the team?

• Advertisement

I didnt see the match last night so i dont know how he played, but id assume that the shuffle will get one or 2 players into the squad to try to mark their places. garrido isnt a player i particularly like though, and id prefer to see Richards or Onuoha rising to the occasion, if not just for the long term benifits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement