Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

i'd much rather keep bianchi, we looked so much better when he came on, i really wish he'd scored rather than elano who again didn't do much apart from score. hopefully we can beat the 'ammers again on sunday and keep pressing for 4th. thought hamman was brilliant yet again, rarely gives the ball away and just keeps it simple, hopefully johnson will be fit by the time he gets suspended again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3058469,00.html
    SVEN WANTS `MANY YEARS` AT CITY
    Posted 18/01/08 16:24

Sven-Goran Eriksson has indicated he is in it for the long haul at Manchester City - providing his team play the way he wants.

The former England boss is only six months into a lucrative three-year contract but already feels comfortable back on domestic duty.

City face West Ham at Eastlands on Sunday looking to continue their push towards a European place.

The Hammers were dispatched in midweek in an FA Cup replay and Eriksson can now look forward to facing Sheffield United in the fourth round on January 27 at Bramall Lane.

The Swede was delighted at the way they passed the ball after being dismayed at the manner of the defeat by Everton.

And overall, Eriksson appears to be enjoying life in the north west.

"I hope to stay here many years and passing football is the way we are going to play," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"To be manager at a big club in the Premier League makes me happy and I have settled in well at City.

"When I buy new players they will be players who play in that style, who want to pass the ball.

"It was important to me that we played good football or at least tried to do so against West Ham.

"We showed the right intentions and sometimes even tried to play too much - there was one point where I am sure Richard Dunne thought he was Maradona."

Eriksson will have to do without striker Nery Castillo for up to six weeks after the Mexican fractured a bone in his shoulder.

Castillo, on loan from Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk, suffered the setback during the cup replay.

Eriksson said: "He does not need surgery but will be away for five to six weeks. He is unlucky and we need him as well."

Castillo's enforced absence could open the door again for Rolando Bianchi.

The Italian striker has been frustrated with his lack of chances since arriving in the summer.

He has been linked to a number of clubs but Eriksson has suggested he may be reluctant to release any of his forwards now Castillo is sidelined.

"Maybe one might go but it could depend on what is happening the other way, " said the City boss.

Bianchi replaced Castillo in midweek and Eriksson said: "He did very well when he came on. He showed the right spirit and was involved in the goal.

"He has never expressed doubts about staying. I think he wants to fight for his place."

Eriksson remains confident he will be able to strengthen his squad in the transfer window.

"If it is the right player, I will be happy with one, " he said.

"We have spoken to other clubs and it is difficult as they do not want to release players now.

"In the summer it is different but I am still hopeful something will happen."

City will again be without Michael Johnson (abdominal strain) and Emile Mpenza (hamstring).

Leg-end!

8 months out injured, first start back and he does this......

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=526272
    Sturridge fires hat-trick on return
    23/01/2008 21:53

Manchester City's FA Youth Cup dream goes on after an impressive hat-trick from fit-again striker Danny Sturridge defeated Reading 3-1 to book a fifth round tie away at Bristol City.

Hosts Reading took the lead after 24 minutes as Josh Webb hammered home a loose ball inside the City box, but after going behind against Millwall in the last round, the Blues didn't panic.

And despite eight months passing since his last game in a Blue shirt, Sturridge produced a quality strike to level the scores after 31 minutes.

Cutting in from the right flank, the England Youth international curled a fine effort beyond McCarthy in the Royals' goal from the edge of the box, keeper no chance.

Indeed City could have gone in at the break 2-1 ahead, David Ball swivelled to hook the ball goalwards, but this time McCarthy did enough to keep the ball out.

Reading started the second half in bright fashion but after 57 minutes Sturridge bagged a second. This time Reading failed to clear a free kick and as Boyata had headed across goal Sturridge popped up to tap home from close range.

Despite the home side's best efforts to pull the game level Sturridge ended the tie with 15 minutes remaining. A sweeping ball from left to right was brilliantly controlled by Sturridge on his chest before lining it up and firing home left footed to complete his hat-trick.

City were through to the fifth round and fresh from Bianchi's departure to Lazio, Sturridge delivered the perfect message to Sven-Goran Eriksson.

We'll bring you post-match reaction from Jim Cassell here tomorrow on mcfc.co.uk.

Teams:

Reading:
    McCarthy, Kelly, Spence, Cox, Hateley (c), Bayley (Frewen 65), Sigurdsson, Webb, Bignall (Bryant 77), Vasilev, Illugason (Bossman 65).

unused subs: Kitteridge, Mitchell.

City:
    Hartley, Trippier, McGivern, Boyata, Mee (c), Kay, Tsiaklis (Ibrahim 57), Weiss, McDermott, Ball, Sturridge.

unused subs: Nimely-Tchuimeni, Clegg, Tutte, Mak.

The lad's still only 18. Could be the next graduate to the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

well there goes bianchi
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7205324.stm
    we are being strongly linked with luis fabiano of sevilla who is top scorer in the spanish league, wouldn't want to be relying on sturridge or mpenza or darius for goals.

Following on from last week's promise to remain with Manchester City, Micah Richards has today signed a new five and a half year deal with the Club.

The England international will remain with the Blues until at least June 2013 and speaking exclusively to mcfc.co.uk, City Chief Executive Alistair Mackintosh, declared: "It’s absolutely tremendous news for the Football Club as we announce that Micah Richards has signed a new five and a half year deal.

"It’s the longest deal, certainly in my memory, of the Club’s history. The Manager’s delighted, Dr Thaksin’s delighted and I’m personally delighted.

"We’ve worked well with Micah and his father in putting together an appropriate deal. It’s always been my goal to sign our young players up on long term contracts to provide a solid foundation, going forward, as we continue to invest in the team."

Sven-Goran Eriksson has echoed the Chief Executive's sentiments, adding: "This is fantastic news, it shows we are building for the future by securing one of our most talented players on the longest term contract."

What a fantastic boost going into the biggest game of the season.

• Advertisement

Some chants by the best fans in the world at Old Trafford -

After 80 mins -
    "We can see you, We can see you,
    We can see you sneaking out
    We can see you sneaking out"

About Benjani -
    "Signed after midnight, he was signed after midnight,
    Signed after miiiidniight"

"Benjani wooooah
    Benjani woooooah
    He comes from Zimbabwe
    He scored on Derby day
    Benjaaaaaaaani wooooah"

To Park when he came on -
    "Sh1t Sun Jihai, you're just a **** Sun Jihai"

When the City fans were held back after the game for their 'own safety' -

"Thaksin, Thaksin give us a wave". He did

"F*ck off back to London
    F*ck off back to London
    Na na na na.."

"Sh1t ground no fans, sh1t ground no fans"

"They're here, they're there
    They're every f*cking where
    Empty seats, empty seats"

"2-1 in your jubilee, 2-1 in your jubilee"

"Can we play you, can play you,
    Can we play you every week?
    Can we play you every week?"

And of course -

"There's only one Frank Swift"

Great stuff, and it could all be heard over the TV. 3,000 in amongst 73,000. Well done, you did us proud.

Great news from the reserves tonight with Johnson and Bojinov making their comebacks. Boj even got himself a goal in the 1-1 draw.

MCFC: Isaksson, Obeng, Garrido, Jihai, Breen, Johnson, Logan, Geovanni, Mpenza, Caicedo, Moore.

Subs: Bojinov, Martin, McDonald, Nimely-Tchuimeni, Daly.

More good news -

Hamann earns new deal at Man City

Manchester City have rewarded Dietmar Hamann for his good form this season by extending his deal until the end of the 2008/2009 campaign.

The 34-year-old German has been a major part of the club's challenge for a European place this season.

Hamann was lauded for his showing in the recent 2-1 win at Manchester United which left City just three points off the fourth Champions League spot.

City signed Hamann on a free transfer after he left Liverpool in July 2006.

He moved to the top-flight when he was signed by Newcastle from Bayern Munich and he spent a season at St James's Park before a switch to Anfield.

He helped Liverpool to the 2005 Champions League trophy when he came on as a second half substitute as the Reds came back from 3-0 down to eventually win on penalties.

Hamann was at Liverpool for seven years and made 283 appearances for the club and scoring 11 goals.

He agreed to a switch to Bolton before changing his mind and moved to City, who paid the Reebok stadium outfit compensation, in July 2006.

His first season was interrupted by injury but he has prospered since Sven-Goran Eriksson took over as City manager at the start of the season.

The holding midfielder has made 28 outings during the present campaign compared to 19 last season.

Great player for the likes of Fernandes to learn from. He's been in our top three players this year and the contract is fully deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi; wat do you make of the talk of there being a potential deal for somesort of swap + cash for involving Johnson and Crouch?

You rate Johnson highly?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Xavi; wat do you make of the talk of there being a potential deal for somesort of swap + cash for involving Johnson and Crouch?

You rate Johnson highly?

Firstly this deal was mentioned during the transfer window and everyone at the club laughed. Secondly we don't need to swap players, we have the money now to just buy them outright.

As for Jonno, yes I rate him extremely highly. He's everything Barton was as a player and then some. His absence is the reason why Elano's form has dipped, any City fan will tell you the same thing. He does all Didi's running for him, gets up and down and can score goals. He is the typical box-tobox midfielder.

Put it this way, if he stays injury free and doesn't have an England cap in two years time (i.e. by the time he's 21/22) I'll be very very surprised.

• Advertisement

The rumours I've heard were always saying any deal would be in the summer?

Is he the young blonde fella who scored the peach near the start of the season? cant remember against who, but it was a cracking goal

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The rumours I've heard were always saying any deal would be in the summer?

Is he the young blonde fella who scored the peach near the start of the season? cant remember against who, but it was a cracking goal

Yeah outside of the boot against Derby. That's him. Top player.

The young lads progress in the FA Youth Cup tonight with a 4-2 away win over Bristol City.

Came from 2-1 down with that man Sturridge bagging two. That's 5 goals in 2 youth cup games to go with the 2 first team goals he's gotten in recent weeks.

Next up - Plymouth

And here's the goals from the Youth Cup game -

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCup/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/FAYC_FifthRound_City.htm

Two cracking goals from Sturridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Poltergoose

Finding it hard not to get too optimistic about the run.Thanks to the stuffing we gave "the scum" on their home patch and the return of the likes of "the Boj", Johnson and Castillo along with new signings Benjani and Caicedo I am hoping for a good run in,if we can beat Everton on monday then we are really giving ourselves a great shot at fourth spot.Richards signing the new deal also is great news, though not for the tabloids who barely mentioned it as they were holding out hope of him going to one of the "big four".Anyway onwards and upwards from here.

p.s. what was the best chant at the derby game, mine was when Park ji Sung came on and the City fans responded by singing "sh*t Sun Jihai, your just a sh*t Sun JIhaaaaiii":D, classic.
    In sven we trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The amount of teams that follow up a win over Utd with a loss in their next game is amazing...I've won a lot of money betting against teams in their next game after a Utd win, so needless to say i will be lumping on Everton ;)

@ Poltergoose, no need for 'the scum' comment:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Sturridge bagged another two and Felipe "Big Phil" Caicedo got off the mark yesterday in a 3-0 win over PNE in the Pontins Reserve League. Stars in the making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

CHARTER UPDATE

Regarding Superthreads

Please read and be familiar everyone.

Nunu wrote: »
    The amount of teams that follow up a win over Utd with a loss in their next game is amazing...I've won a lot of money betting against teams in their next game after a Utd win, so needless to say i will be lumping on Everton ;)

:D ....that's my summer holiday paid for.

I'm telling you it's uncanny!

....actually annoys me the amount of teams that fail to show up after a win against Utd...so unprofessional.

The FA Youth Cup sponsored by E.On 2007/08 Sixth Round

Plymouth Argyle v Manchester City

Tuesday February 26th, 2008, 7.00pm
    Home Park, Plymouth - Att: 2,417

Plymouth Argyle:
    Lloyd Saxton, Bobby Hopkinson, Ryan Brett, Greg Moseley (Ben Gerring 73, Ashley Hodgkinson, Shane White (c), Joe Mason (Toby Davis 56), Brian McCaul, Jarred Stevens, Ashley Barnes (Lewis Edwards 68), Damien McCrory.

unused subs: Michal Misiewicz (GK), Josh Grant.

Manchester City:
    Greg Hartley, Kieran Trippier, Ben Mee (c), Ryan McGivern, Andrew Tutte, Dedryck Boyata, Vladimir Weiss (Robbie Mak 75), Scott Kay, David Ball, Danny Sturridge (Alex Nimely-Tchuimeni 84), Donal McDermott (Angelos Tsiaklis 68).

unused subs: Addi Ibrahim, Joe Clegg (GK).

Pre match

City name an unchanged 16 from their 4-2 victory in the previous round which means Danny Sturridge and David Ball continue their hunt for goals. Sturridge has been in fine scoring form since his return from injury and Ball is keen to grab goal number 25 of the season.

The Match

It was an tense opening few moments from both sides as they sized each other up. City though stepped up on 14 minutes and Vladimir Weiss was the first to test Saxton in the Argyle goal with a shot from outside the box.

Plymouth didn't appear to carry the same threat as Bristol City in the previous round and the Blues duly took the lead on 22 minutes thanks to Danny Sturridge. After neat work from Weiss, who beat his full back twice before crossing from the right, Sturridge showed a quick change of feet before firing a fine left footed drive into the bottom corner of the net from 10 yards out.

City were playing comfortably and threatened again 10 minutes before the break, McDermott's clever wide play gave Ball a difficult opportunity, the striker did well to win another corner.

And it was from another corner that City doubled their lead on 37 minutes. Donal McDermott's deep ball was put back across by Boyata before captain, Ben Mee, volleyed home from just outside the six yard box.

HALF TIME: Plymouth 0-2 City

The first chance of the second half came the way of City as Ball pushed it wide of the post after being played in by Dermott. City's youngsters had picked up where they left off in the first half

And on 64 minutes the young Blues booked their semi final place as David Ball drew the keeper and slotted it into the far corner after a break down the right channel. Goal number 25 for the hard working striker and City could afford to turn their attentions to tomorrow's quarter final where they play the winners of Charlton against Sunderland.

After 84 minutes it was a case of one goalscoring striker off and one straight on as Alex Nimely-Tchuimeni broke the offside trap and scored with his first touches of the ball after rounding the keeper in the process. He had only replaced Sturridge 30 seconds earlier - 4-0 City.

Plymouth scored a consolation in the last minute through their main threat, Jarred Stevens, but despite the roar of the Home Park fans it's Manchester City that roar into the two-legged semi final next month.

Full details of the semi final will appear on mcfc.co.uk once the opposition has been decided and dates set.

FULL TIME: Plymouth 1-4 City

Another fantastic performance from the young lads with Sturridge on the scoresheet again.

In other news, a strong reserves side put four past Everton tonight. Those that played included Johnson, Garrido, Sun, Isaksson, Geovanni, Caicedo, Mpenza, and Castillo. The goals went to Mpenza (2), Castillo and Caicedo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Archimedes wrote: »

Meh. I just got my t-shirt in the post there the other day. Has both results in big sky blue writing across the front. It's more of a laugh than anything else.

Micah Richards out for a few weeks: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3205801,00.html
    Manchester City defender Micah Richards faces a spell on the sidelines after undergoing knee surgery.

The knee injury is a recurrence of the one that prevented him from playing against Sheffield United and Derby County earlier this year.

City decided to send him under the knife in a bid to try and finally clear up the problem.

Richards underwent the operation on damaged cartilage in his right knee in London and the surgery was deemed successful by City's club doctor Mark Whitaker.

"The operation has been successful, and Micah will begin a rehabilitation programme at Carrington starting tomorrow," Whitaker told the club's official website.

"The medical team will monitor his progress over the coming days and weeks."

It is not known how long Richards will be out of action, but he is expected to be sidelined for several weeks.

Yeah I'm baffled by this to say the least. Why wasn't this done as soon as the derby was over and we knew we had a two week break coming up?

Onouha to centre half, Corluka at right back. Should be ok.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm baffled by this to say the least. Why wasn't this done as soon as the derby was over and we knew we had a two week break coming up?

Onouha to centre half, Corluka at right back. Should be ok.

What about Corluka at centre half, would that not be a safer option?

Nunu wrote: »
    What about Corluka at centre half, would that not be a safer option?

Ah yeah either or really. Depends what Sven wants from a particular game. Ned is quicker but Corluka's better on the ball.

Ye, I suppose if he wants to go like for like replacing Richards then Onuoha will play there because of his pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Meh. I just got my t-shirt in the post there the other day. Has both results in big sky blue writing across the front. It's more of a laugh than anything else.

True - at least ye didnt release a DVD like Everton did lol

True - at least ye didnt release a DVD like Everton did lol

No we'll be releasing a double DVD. There's two games not just one rmember?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nothing embarrassing about that. I drink out of nothing but "6-3" pint glasses and mugs, eat only off plates with images of Le Tissier lobbing Schmeichel and eat eggs only from Egg-il Ostenstad egg cups. Whats the big deal?

So Frank has gone back to Thailand and is out on bail. A couple of the players have joined him over there as well. The lucky b*stards getting a free five star trip are Kasper Schmeichel and Kelvin Etuhu. Here's the pictorial evidence......

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44456000/jpg/_44456246_-210.jpg

F*ck playin first team!

And here she is! -
    http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=536391

Relive this season's fantastic derby double with the new "This Is Our City" DVD.
    The Blues hadn't completed a league double over Manchester United in nearly 40 years. They hadn't beaten them at Old Trafford in 34 years. Both runs came to an end in 2007/08, as Sven-Goran Eriksson's incredible first season in charge reached new heights.

This DVD includes extended highlights of the 1-0 win at the City of Manchester Stadium in August 2007, and the 2-1 victory at Old Trafford on 10th February 2008 - the day the city came together to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster.

The DVD is also packed with some great bonus features, including exclusive interviews with key participants - Sven-Goran Eriksson, Richard Dunne, Micah Richards, Martin Petrov, Joe Hart, Kasper Schmeichel and Benjani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Minnowism.

Pure unadulterated minnowism.

DesF wrote: »
    Minnowism.

Pure unadulterated minnowism.

Yep and proud. Speaking of which, know anywhere I can get a copy of Shels Champions League campaign? :D

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/sunday/2008/03/02/corrie-star-helen-flanagan-is-dating-england-star-micah-richards-98487-20337177/
    Corrie star Helen Flanagan is dating England star Micah Richards

By Nikhita Mahajan 2/03/2008

Helen, 18, has been on a string of dates with Manchester City defender Micah Richards. The two met on the city's party scene and Micah begged her for a date.

One of his friends said: "As soon as he laid eyes on her he made a big play for her, sending her texts and demanding a date.

"After a couple of weeks she relented and they're getting on very well. She's keen to keep it all low-key for the moment. She's only young and just out to have a bit of a laugh."

Micah, 19, was axed from an England-Switzerland match last month after revelations of a sordid sex video involving him, a pal and a fan. But the £50,000- a-week star has said: "My behaviour has changed 100 per cent since that video appeared. I think I am a stronger person now."

Helen, whose soap character had a steamy affair with tutor John Stape, recently revealed: "It takes me ages to fancy somebody. I always get to know them first then something tends to develop."

Last week Micah, who's recovering from a knee op, was on a break in Tenerife with teammate Joe Hart. A pal said: "With Micah off sick, he's hoping Helen will be there for him.

But she's very busy...so everyone's waiting to see what happens."

The lucky b*stard! She's after gettin quite yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah since about December 12th... :D

The FA Youth Cup sponsored by E.On 2007/08 Semi Final 2nd Leg

Manchester City v Sunderland

Tuesday March 11, 2008, 7.00pm
    The City of Manchester Stadium - Att: 3,228

Manchester City: Hartley, Trippier, McGivern, Boyata, Mee (c), Kay, Weiss, Tutte, Ball, Sturridge, McDermott.

unused subs: Nimely-Tchuimeni, Johansen, Ramsey, Tsiaklis, Mak.

Sunderland: Staples, Kay (R Noble 71), Liddle, L Noble, Cornforth, McArdle, Henderson, Colback (c), Hourihane, Waghorn, Luscombe (Hunter 80).

unused subs: Brown, Cook, Galer, Scott.

Goals: 0-1 (Henderson 15)

Bookings

City:

Sunderland: R Noble (82), Henderson (87), Colback (87), Hunter (87)

Referee: D Deadman

Summary

City are into the FA Youth Cup final - but only after a real scare. Sunderland took an early lead and were the better side at times during the second leg, with City squandering several chances as well as looking nervous. But the Blues hung on with some resolute defending and they are now set to face either Chelsea or Aston Villa.

Pre match

City named an unchanged side from the one that started last Thursday's first leg.

The match

A rain squall just before 6.00pm had left patches of water on the pitch, but by kick off the weather had calmed down and we had a perfect night for football.

City looked comfortable from the off, having by far the most of the early play until they had the first good chance of the night on 13 minutes. McDermott’s free kick from the left of the box missed everyone before reaching Boyata, who possibly surprised to get the chance could not direct it past Staples.

But the sizeable home support was shocked when the visitors took the lead after a quarter of an hour. Jordan Henderson took aim from long range and his shot flew past Hartley’s left hand and into the top corner of the net. Most definitely game on!

With the goal rousing the fans, Weiss went on a jinking run just a minute later, and he was unlucky to see his low cross just elude the lurking Danny Sturridge in the six yard box.

Hartley kept the score at 0-1 on 25 minutes, making a fine stop with his feet from Jack Colback after the Sunderland striker had beaten the offside trap. The Blues put the pressure at the other end with a trio of corners, with the third just skimming Danny Sturridge’s head in a crowded area.

The highly-rated striker missed a great opportunity on 32 minutes after bursting into the area from the right hand flank. Shaping to get the ball onto his favoured left foot, he shot across the face of goal, but David Ball was free inside the area and he would have had a simple chance to score.

The pair combined well on 39 minutes, with Ball’s long crossfield pass finding Sturridge in space on the right of the area. With no blue shirts in the area, he could not be blamed for electing to shoot once again and his stabbed effort was just wide of the near post.

McDermott chipped over a tempting cross on 50 minutes that Sunderland keeper Staples took at the second attempt under pressure from David Ball. The City number nine was thwarted by Staples 60 seconds later, the keeper having raced out to the edge of the area to block after Ball had been put clean through.

City looked tentative, and on the hour goalscorer Henderson went close to levelling the tie, his left-footed volley just shaping away from the far post with Hartley beaten.

The home fans were getting tense, and two shots from Sturridge that were well wide of the target did not improve their mood.

We finally had a moment to remember with eight minutes left, when Danny Sturridge forced a good save from Staples after he had broken into the left of the area. The keeper’s parry fell to Kay, whose shot brought an even better save, this time a flying effort that deflected the ball over the bar.

As time began to run out for the visitors the game began to boil over, as Sunderland resorted to the physical approach from the first leg. They thought they were back on terms with just two minutes left when Colback fired home from the edge of the box, but the flag was up for offside to huge relief from City’s supporters, with three Sunderland players going in to the book for their protests.

After three minutes of stoppage time City were into the final, but Sunderland could count themselves unlucky on their display in the second leg.

Tim Oscroft

Bit lucky to get away with it tonight apparently. Sunderland were by far the better side. Still, great win over the two legs and on to the final now against either Chelsea or Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Yes it's from the Mail but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth in it -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=557368&in_page_id=1779
    City join the battle to sign Ronaldinho

Manchester City have expressed an interest in buying Brazilian superstar Ronaldinho from Barcelona, it emerged last night.

The amazing news was reported in Italy yesterday when AC Milan, the club who are favourites to buy the 28-year-old this summer, were made aware that they had competition from the Barclays Premier League club.

It is understood that City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has been alerted by intermediaries to contact Barcelona and the player's representatives about a possible deal.

At this stage it remains highly unlikely that City will be able to pull off a deal that, under the club's current financial structure, would be some way out of their league.

However, sources in Italy revealed last night that Milan believe City's interest to be serious and are therefore increasing their own efforts to land the player.

The situation is clouded somewhat by the fact that even senior executives at City do not yet know how much money Thaksin is setting aside for former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson to spend on player recruitment this summer.

But the Thai owners want to find a player who will fill their stadium. As for Ronaldinho himself, it would appear that he has played his last game for Barcelona after news yesterday that a thigh injury has ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Ronaldinho is under contract in Spain for another two years but will be sold this summer after concerns over his form and also his lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Milan have said they are interested, so its unlikely he'll choose City ahead of them :)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Milan have said they are interested, so its unlikely he'll choose City ahead of them :)

Unless we offer him some massive amount of wages, which we certainly could do given our financial position. I'm not saying he will come but it's a possibility and if it's not him then it'll be another big name I reckon.

You'd have to offer him enough wages to play outside the CL, and not challenge for a league title, since he's on 140k a week, I'd say you'd need to double it, and even then, he'd have to be incredibly greedy.

Nonetheless, gwan City! Beat Chelsea for your Manchester friends :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7334550.stm

city have met ronaldinhos reps to discuss a possible move to city, SSN reporting it at the minute as well.

wat ya make of that Xavi?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Would be great for ManC if it happens. Would nearly be like Maradona -> Napoli all over again, and as we all now, he delivered a couple of Scudettos.

Of course, for the EPL, ManC will need will probably need two or 3 other star players - LB, RM, another ST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stakling horse! His agent (read brother) is using Frank Sinatras money to push up his clients (read brother) price. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think City, with Thaskins money and Svens repuation, could entice Ronaldinho to the club. This stuff about him not playing for a team outside the CL and league challengers might not be as big an issue as some might make out, he certainly hasn't looked all that bothered about either the league or CL for about 18 months now.

However, more so than City being right for Ronaldinho, is Ronadinho right for City? As a Newcastle fan(comparable clubs), Ronny is the type of player I would want my team to stay away from. He looks dis-interested these days, would bring a circus with him, and would hog alot of financial resources that could be put to much better use throughout the squad.

I'm not saying that he couldn't come good, but there's a big risk that he won't, and even if he does, with the money he will require, its not like he would be giving the team anything less than realistically he should.

If he doesn't seriously buck up, Ron is at risk at becoming the next Kluivert.

lol, that's just an hilarious post

The issue for City, isn't the money, and it's not Sven, it's precisely what Sven said himself, he's not gona want to play Inter-Toto. That said, with Milan going the way they are, maybe they won't be in the CL either :)
    I'd be utterly gobsmacked if he went to a non-CL club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

The issue for City, isn't the money, and it's not Sven, it's precisely what Sven said himself, he's not gona want to play Inter-Toto. That said, with Milan going the way they are, maybe they won't be in the CL either :)

same,a player of his caliber would walk into any of the top 4 teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Man city the new chelsea, they have money so any players agent will link their players with them.

They went from Milito to Love to Benjani :eek:

Sven is a draw but lack of CL and any real possibility of CL will put players off.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm not saying that City have him if they want him and its up to them to take them, far from it. All I am saying is; people will view such a story as City would be a bad move for Ronaldinho. All I am trying to ask is whether such a move would be good for City, as such questions rarely get asked when fanfare stories like these start.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement