Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Manchester City's attempt to corner the transfer market and use every method possible to gain an advantage over Manchester United has seen them replace their neighbours in a partnership deal with Sporting Lisbon that will give them first option on signing players from the club that produced Luís Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo.

City have moved in after learning that United's arrangement with Sporting had expired and that relations between Old Trafford and the Estádio José Alvalade have never been fully repaired since the clubs fell out two years ago over the Portugal international Miguel Veloso.

Luís Vicente, a Portuguese lawyer who represents Figo, has been working on a deal which should be announced in the next few weeks and will see the world's most financially endowed club moving ahead of the Premier League champions when it comes to cherry-picking some of Portuguese football's brightest young players.

Sporting have a reputation for developing outstanding young footballers, Ronaldo being the most obvious example but the list goes much further than that and includes the former world player of the year's fellow Portugal internationals Nani, Ricardo Quaresma, Miguel Veloso and João Moutinho. City have already put in place a deal to take Tobias Figueredo, a 15-year-old midfielder rated as one of Sporting's more promising players, as part of the chief executive Garry Cook's pledge to bring elite youngsters into the club academy and develop them as Champions League players of the future.

The move is being seen at City as another step in their ambitions to make sure they compete for the best players at every age range, with Cook making a point since coming into the job of trying to establish a strong working relationship with clubs who were previously out of City's range. Vicente has been given the official title as head of partnerships, with the brief to arrange more deals of this nature around Europe.

Sir Alex Ferguson's feelings on the matter are not clear but the United manager has always cited the relationship with Sporting when explaining why Ronaldo moved to Old Trafford in 2003 when Real Madrid, Barcelona, Arsenal and several others also wanted him. Under the terms of the agreement, Sporting had to inform United of any bids and offer them first refusal.

That privilege has now been lost to the club Ferguson has described as "noisy neighbours" but the official stance at Old Trafford is that they were happy for the agreement to expire as they considered it "too restrictive", and that having such a relationship may have affected how Benfica viewed them in possible transfer negotiations. United say they have been gradually phasing out many of the tie-ups that were introduced when Peter Kenyon was their chief executive, with clubs as diverse as Wollongong Wolves. However, they intend to maintain the link with Desportivo Brasil in São Paulo after a concerted effort to find the best young talents in Brazil and they will also keep the tie-up with Royal Antwerp, which is primarily used to give youth academy graduates from Old Trafford first-team experience in the Belgian league.

United's relationship with Sporting was badly affected in December 2007 when Carlos Queiroz, then the assistant manager at Old Trafford, expressed his admiration for Veloso and the Portuguese club's president, Filipe Soares Franco, responded angrily by accusing Ferguson's No2 of unsettling the midfielder and disrespecting the agreement between the clubs.

Sporting were so incensed they put a statement on their official website describing Queiroz, their former manager, as "persona non grata" and saying the club did "not want to waste time on this person". It led to a peacemaking operation involving Ferguson and the chief executive, David Gill, and Sporting said at the time that "this decision will not affect the good relations with Manchester United."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/11/manchester-city-partnership-sporting-lisbon

City to get the next Ronaldo graduate maybe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Smegball wrote: »
    City to get the next Ronaldo graduate maybe ;)

Or the next Nani! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

lol is this real? adebayor was on ssn supposedly wearing an arsenal top

56796791.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1263323864&Signature=IevmNZ3jZkcRKlSkLse9rK1qvKs%3D

to answer my own question... yes it is 100% true. mad that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Could easily be photshopped by someone imo why would he wear an arsenal top

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

paul150 wrote: »
    Could easily be photshopped by someone imo why would he wear an arsenal top
    ... he's Adebayor.

Two more pictures of it:
    http://twitpic.com/xtgoc
    http://twitpic.com/xtgj6

Plus people are saying they saw it in real time.

... he's Adebayor.

err photoshop the mancity bit into it? its not that hard to do

It was seen in real time today on SSN. So it's not a photoshop :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

he was on sky sports news giving an interview in the Arsenal polo shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Haha nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He's back in togo when he wasn't expecting to be... would there be city gear for him there to wear? could be a case of having gone through his wardrobe and with all the sh*t that's gone on, I'd say what he wears is the f*cking last thing he thinks of these days.

Whatever, you think of him (and I despise him) to hold this against him is really f*cking petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

He's back in togo when he wasn't expecting to be... would there be city gear for him there to wear? could be a case of having gone through his wardrobe and with all the sh*t that's gone on, I'd say what he wears is the f*cking last thing he thinks of these days.

Whatever, you think of him (and I despise him) to hold this against him is really f*cking petty.

I might be about to revise my opinion of him

im sure he could have wore something else, hes not fit to wear that shirt anyway disgrace that he is

• Advertisement

im sure he could have wore something else, hes not fit to wear that shirt anyway disgrace that he is
    If I thought it was going to spark the bash Adebayor brigade, I wouldn't have posted it.

What he wears is the last thing on his mind right now with his mates in hospital and having to pull from the ACON, I simply posted the pic because of the sheer oddity of seeing a player wearing his old club's gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I saw it on SSN earlier. I was trying to listen to what he was saying, but all i could think of is "What the **** is he doing wearing an Arsenal top?"

I thought, oh, might be an old video, but then, he was talking about the bus.

Its Arsenal's old training gear, so its not like he signed for anything, im sure he just had it lying around and threw it on. But its one of the strangest things ive ever seen.

LOL as i type its on SSN, he sounds really distraught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

personally i thought it was hilarious!

anyone else i would have found it strange, it being Ade, i dunno, its more funny then weird to me

top looks pretty new too actually

maybe he is trying to send a message to the fans?

im so sorry i made a mistake, please take me back?:D

first to bite wins a 50inch plasma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's alright lads, it was clearly photoshopped. I've come across the original -

u111111.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Xavi, I really want that top now!

And what a cool flag! Its definatly quality, could possible replace my banana!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5855427,00.html

Saw the interview on ssn as well. Very funny.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5855427,00.html

Saw the interview on ssn as well. Very funny.

Ade traumatised by being machine gunned is indeed hilarious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's not really funny at all. He obviously has other things on his mind than his t-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Really can't believe this is an issue at all. The guy has gone through a terrible experience and I am sure what he is wearing is the last thing on his mind. Anyone who thinks this is an issue is juvenile in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

All true.... but do you really believe this was the only shirt he could find? Or the shirt on top of the pile?
    I dont hold it against him but i just find it a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's alright lads, it was clearly photoshopped. I've come across the original -

u111111.png

Xavi..your an artist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

Ade traumatised by being machine gunned is indeed hilarious :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I guess a brain isn't a prerequisite if you want to be a mod. :o

I was obviously referring to the shirt, not the situation. I meant funny as in odd too, genius.

3.5 initial with possible 7 for million for Danny Sturridge? I the 7 million is a good final figure, but think he was worth more that that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Good to see Mancini lay down the law to Robinho and show he has no respect for reputation.

I reckon City need to show him the door ASAP.

good to see City still havent sorted out their defence ;)

EDIT: also lads, whats the story with Santa Cruz??

what is his curent inury? he really seems to be made of glass doesnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

So you are going to sign Flamini on loan this morning. Pretty stupid signing.

Better and more sensible signing than Vieira tbh.

Then why sign Viera!

CHD wrote: »
    Then why sign Viera!

Mancini wants allies in the dressing room? Or someone who can speak English who is already familiar with his methods? Or because he wanted Vieira's experience?

Mancini wants allies in the dressing room? Or someone who can speak English who is already familiar with his methods? Or because he wanted Vieira's experience?
    Sorry, not buying that. He is expected to push the top 3 all the way and he brings in Flamini and Viera. Kind of players who will bring City top 4 maybe but that is it

CHD wrote: »
    Sorry, not buying that. He is expected to push the top 3 all the way and he brings in Flamini and Viera. Kind of players who will bring City top 4 maybe but that is it

Perhaps, but this City team lack experience at the very highest level. Vieira brings them that. And as for Flamini, well in his last season in English football he was one of the best midfielders in the league, he should be excellent cover for DeJong at the least. And seeing as City's midfield have been looking a little complacent of late a little competition may go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

City certainly seem to have an ambundance of players in midfield and forwards any sign of any new defence signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Perhaps, but this City team lack experience at the very highest level. Vieira brings them that. And as for Flamini, well in his last season in English football he was one of the best midfielders in the league, he should be excellent cover for DeJong at the least. And seeing as City's midfield have been looking a little complacent of late a little competition may go a long way.

Jesus lads - City are fast becoming Arsenal II ;)

Only kidding - I think Flamini could be a great buy for ye if he settles - big mistake for us when he left the Gunners - experienced like Vieira, but much less injury prone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Very good signing if City get Flamoney. It's like Mancini is following the Inter model of building a huge squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

jasper_carrott_2644160Finally, a pro Citeh performance from Mike Dean -for a change giving dubious penalty decisions forinstead of against us.

We'll have to milk this for a week at least before we travel out of Manchester for the 2nd leg. Tevez outstanding but I think Boyata needs a "rest". He'll probably come good eventually but Onouha a rock when he came on.

any news on what sanctions if any will be taken against yeer fans after throwing stuff at Evra last night? if any

I think the same as when Utd Fans threw stuff at Tevez and Garrido at OT

folan wrote: »
    I think the same as when Utd Fans threw stuff at Tevez and Garrido at OT

dont remember it tbh, definitly dont remember it being caught on camera?

if it was then the club should have been fined

do two wrongs make a right? does it excuse the behaviour of fans who throw objects just cause they are your own fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    dont remember it tbh, definitly dont remember it being caught on camera?

if it was then the club should have been fined

do two wrongs make a right? does it excuse the behaviour of fans who throw objects just cause they are your own fans

it was yeah - as the players went off at half time iirc.

Yep, Mitch is right. Was overshaddowed by Bellamy being a bit daft, and was forgotten. Boith should have been fined there, as well as the utd fan being punished.

TBH i was disgusted by the lighter being thrown at Evra.

Shouldnt happen in modern football, and there should be a fine of some sort. If the fan can be found, ban him.

Instead of following up on a dodgy pic of Neville.

• Advertisement

I think the biggest thing to come out of last night is the fact that even Fergie has had to acknowledge that we are a team to worry about. He has certainly come a long way since this -
    "We certainly won't be picking our team because City are picking their strongest team. Our young players have proved themselves. They won the Carling Cup last year against full-strength Tottenham and were unlucky against full-strength Everton in the FA Cup semi-final.

"Our fans don't want to see us lose and there's no intention of losing, either. That's important. I believe our young players are good enough. They excelled last year and they have the desire to do it again. We've used the Carling Cup as a route for young players and they've all done well over the last few years.

"I don't see the need to change that policy."

There is now a strong football rivalry in the city for the first time since I've been a blue (two decades) and I think it's great. We got the upper hand last night in this tie but over the past year or two we've had some classic matches and hopefully it continues.

Next week can't come soon enough!

This does raise the question though, how do we approach the match at the weekend?

Stick out a reserve team at the weekend. We're 90 minutes from a final and should be doing anything to get there.

And by 'reserves' I mean give Superman and Onuoha 90 minutes to get some fitness back, and play Robinho and Benjani up front.

Basically I would play -

Taylor

Zabaleta
    Boyata
    Onuoha
    Sylvinho

Vieira

Wright-Phillips
    Ireland
    Petrov

Benjani
    Robinho

Should be plenty there to get a win anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Basically I would play -

Taylor

Zabaleta
    Boyata
    Onuoha
    Sylvinho

Vieira

Wright-Phillips
    Ireland
    Petrov

Benjani
    Robinho

Should be plenty there to get a win anyway.

Yeah that wouldnt have been too far off the lineup i'd like to see on the weekend although maybe Weiss in there if theres no loan deal been done.

What do you's think Mancini's view on our striking options will be from now until the end of the month? I don't rate Benjani so would like to see him gone,RSC injured and Ade on compassionate leave do you think we need anyone? Talk of Mutu coming in.The reason I'm asking is that even though Carlos has been awesome for us,he's scored 9 goals in the 7 games that Ade hasnt been here,obviously to get tevez and Ade in it'll be a different system which I dont think would suit Tev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Delighted with the win last night, slightly disappointed we didn't go for them in fairness as I think they were there for the taking and if we had went for then at the start we could have won by 2 or 3. Hopefully it was just a case of Mancini's hands being tied with injuries as we could have used Ireland on there.

Delighted for Tevez, was a soft penalty in truth but thought his penalty was hit with real conviction and loved his celebration. I really think we have nothing to fear at old trafford and we should make the final.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement