Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm assuming, with the money they have, they'd get a better keeper than their third choice and he'd start the remaining games. Nothing against City but what's the point of squads then?

I agree totally. Tough sh*t as I said, unless theres literally no fit keeper whatsoever anywhere at the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

flahavaj wrote: »
    I understand this has happened before but I would have thought clubs were allowed make these emergency signings only if they literally had NO fit keepers at the club? If yer man Nielsen is fit to play then they should have to make do with him.

Emergency signings should only be allowed in the direst of circumstances.

you sound like a bitter Man Utd fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't think he does this is a very popular view to be honest with a lot of soccer fans Whats the point in having a squad and a transfer window etc.

Out of curiosity what is the precedent when you have no keepers or when you need a backup because you have no other or just when the first one's out?

I certainly am a United fan. But what reason would I possibly have to be bitter? Laughable stuff tbh. It says a lot about you and your club's inferiority complex that thats the first thought that comes into your mind to be perfectly honest with you. As long as ye continue with this small time mentality, a small time club is what ye'll stay.

Its not as if my club is one of the ones battling for fourth with your lot is it?

I'm simply wondering why City are being allowed an emergency signing when they already have player good to go in that position. Its not an emergency! If it was Hull City or Accringto Stanley I'd still be curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I certainly am a United fan. But what reason would I possibly have to be bitter? Laughable stuff tbh. It says a lot about you and your club's inferiority complex that thats the first thought that comes into your mind to be perfectly honest with you. As long as ye continue with this small time mentality, a small time club is what ye'll stay.

Its not as if my club is one of the ones battling for fourth with your lot is it?

I'm simply wondering why City are being allowed an emergency signing when they already have player good to go in that position. Its not an emergency! If it was Hull City or Accringto Stanley I'd still be curious.

I support Celtic.

I support Celtic.

My apologies, the general point stands nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I don't think it's that he's bitter but he has stated continually that he sees Liverpool rather than City take the top 4 place and this emergency keeper situation would scupper that......make it a little less likely to materialise!!!:)

If City do indeed get 4th place, then posters won't be able to jump up and down gleefully whilst shouting "I told ya so, I told ya so!!":D

I don't think it's that he's bitter but he has stated continually that he sees Liverpool rather than City take the top 4 place and this emergency keeper situation would scupper that......make it a little less likely to materialise!!!:)

If City do indeed get 4th place, then posters won't be able to jump up and down gleefully whilst shouting "I told ya so, I told ya so!!":D

I wouldn't do that either way, I'm notorious for getting predictions arseways on here anyway. I'd be quite delighted if Spurs got 4th actually, the lesser of three evils for me.:pac:

I don't think he does this is a very popular view to be honest with a lot of soccer fans Whats the point in having a squad and a transfer window etc.

Out of curiosity what is the precedent when you have no keepers or when you need a backup because you have no other or just when the first one's out?

Out of curiosity, aren't you a Spurs fan???:)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't do that either way, I'm notorious for getting predictions arseways on here anyway. I'd be quite delighted if Spurs got 4th actually, the lesser of three evils for me.:pac:

I'll remind you of this Flah if we don't get 4th!!!!!;)

I'll remind you of this Flah if we don't get 4th!!!!!;)

In that case I'll most likely be hearing from ya!;)

In that case I'll most likely be hearing from ya!;)
    Ohhhhhh you ***$%^&*"£$****:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have to say, I don't get this emergency loan thing. Only two keepers are out injured. 3rd choice is still there (look at Chelsea, they were missing Hilario and Cech for a while, i think United went with VDS and one of Kuszczak or Foster earlier in the season).

City have a senior GK on the books, and I am sure they have lads in the reserve team and youth teams they could call on (as United did when naming Amos on the bench).

City don't actually need to sign a keeper, they just want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I have to say, I don't get this emergency loan thing. Only two keepers are out injured. 3rd choice is still there (look at Chelsea, they were missing Hilario and Cech for a while, i think United went with VDS and one of Kuszczak or Foster earlier in the season).

City have a senior GK on the books, and I am sure they have lads in the reserve team and youth teams they could call on (as United did when naming Amos on the bench).

City don't actually need to sign a keeper, they just want to.

We were also down to our 3rd choice keeper for several games earlier in the season.

Can't see why City would be allowed to sign another keeper when they have a registered senior keeper available.

Surely incidents like this is exactly what squads are for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They'll probably pay Juventus 30 million for an "emergency loan" for Buffon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

It's not City's fault that the precedent is there is it? Villa have used this rule in the past as well as a few other lower league teams. Other clubs have used other rules in the league that not alot of fans of other clubs agree with but what can you do? Gunnar Nielsen is our 4th choice keeper,not our 3rd choice as United,Chelsea and Arsenal have had to use this season.

As far as I understand we are requesting emergency loan for a "backup" keeper but I'm sure if the loan player is better then Nielsen he will probably start which is probably not what the rule is there for but I wont be complaining

Gillington wrote: »
    It's not City's fault that the precedent is there is it? Villa have used this rule in the past as well as a few other lower league teams. Other clubs have used other rules in the league that not alot of fans of other clubs agree with but what can you do? Gunnar Nielsen is our 4th choice keeper,not our 3rd choice as United,Chelsea and Arsenal have had to use this season.

As far as I understand we are requesting emergency loan for a "backup" keeper but I'm sure if the loan player is better then Nielsen he will probably start which is probably not what the rule is there for but I wont be complaining

It's not so much a swipe against City per se, the precedent, if it exists is also wrong.

These emergency signings should only be allowed in the direst of circumstances. In this case IMO, City's need is not sufficiently dire. If the same thing happened in the past that was a loada boll* as well tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He's third choice at the club at the moment though.

We were down to our fourth choice left back and striker earlier in the season too. It was our own fault for not having enough depth.

The reason you have a squad is to compensate for injuries/suspensions. Obviously your fourth choice keeper isn't going to be as strong as you'd wish for the first team, but in that case send him on loan and keep Joe Hart.

If this is allowed it will set a precedent that allows any club to request to sign players outside the transfer window because of injuries to players.

Then where do you stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I'm sure Neillson is loving all the confidence being put in him with this very public transfer trying to be pushed through!

Kirnsy wrote: »
    I'm sure Neillson is loving all the confidence being put in him with this very public transfer trying to be pushed through!

Thats the other thing! Hardly a vote of confidence in the young lad's abilities!

• Advertisement

Thats the other thing! Hardly a vote of confidence in the young lad's abilities!

Seriously, Man utd haven't excactly proved their worth at instilling confidence in their own players lately!!!
    Be different if the last 2 -3 games weren't so important but we can't afford to let the lad find his feet at this crucial time in the season.....Would be vastly different if it were the beginning of the season but it isn't!

Seriously, Man utd haven't excactly proved their worth at instilling confidence in their own players lately!!!

Again, this is nothing to do with United. You lot are obsessed!
    Be different if the last 2 -3 games weren't so important but we can't afford to let the lad find his feet at this crucial time in the season.....Would be vastly different if it were the beginning of the season but it isn't!
    So the only reason ye need this emergency dispensation is because your third choice keeper is inexperienced? If he was more experienced there would be no "emergency???" Thats ridiculous!

Again, this is nothing to do with United. You lot are obsessed!

So the only reason ye need this emergency dispensation is because your third choice keeper is inexperienced? If he was more experienced there would be no "emergency???" Thats ridiculous!

Not obsessed at all, just think it is not the right time in our season to have undying faith in this keeper who may be wonderful or not!!!
    Too much at stake.

Didn't mean for it to come across as an ABU sentiment:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Gunnar Nielsen is our 4th choice keeper,not our 3rd choice as United,Chelsea and Arsenal have had to use this season.

He is ye're 3rd choice as Joe Hart isn't a choice this season at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trying to get Hart back it seems

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8644269.stm

I think the issue is not so much that we don't have a keeper, but we don't have a backup. If Nielsen got crocked next time out we would have no one.

If we are given permission to sign someone in that case then it's pretty obvious that we're going to go for someone better than Nielsen rather than someone worse.

Having said all that, there's a 27 year old Colombian international goalkeeper playing in the reserves all season and fuck knows what the story is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »

Having said all that, there's a 27 year old Colombian international goalkeeper playing in the reserves all season and fuck knows what the story is there.

Really?

What's his name?

Des wrote: »
    Really?

What's his name?

David González Giraldo

1 cap for his country and over 200 club appearances in Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

If that's the case i don't understand how they are allowed to sign an emergency GK.

According to Wiki he only joined City in 2010.

That's weird. Is he listed on the City Website?

According to Wiki he only joined City in 2010.

That's weird. Is he listed on the City Website?

Sorry yeah I got him mixed up with Tobias Johansen who is also with us but is now on loan after being in the reserves at the start of the year. Giraldo replaced him.

Neither are listed on the club site, but then again neither is Nielsen.

• Advertisement

but then again neither is Nielsen.

Yes he is

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Players/Goalkeepers/Gunnar-Nielsen

Ha ha that wasn't there yesterday.

I actually checked for it and only Given, Hart and Taylor were listed. Sure the pic is from the Arsenal game at the weekend.

They moved quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

David González Giraldo

1 cap for his country and over 200 club appearances in Colombia.

Is Giraldo fit to play ? If so city have 2 fit international keepers at present, not much of an emergency :)

edit : I see he is injured

This Giraldo seems to be a bit of a phantom tbh, the only place I can see him listed is his own Wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gonz%C3%A1lez_Giraldo

he isn't mentioned in the most recent Man City Reserves match

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Match-reports/2010/April/Man-Utd-Res-v-City-Res

Manchester City:
    Karius, Vidal, Cunningham, Boyata, Wabara, Kay, Tutte, Ibrahim, Ball, Mak, Nimely

Unused subs:
    Veseli, Ole, Benali, Wood, Chantler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't really see what's so special about goalkeepers that you should be able to replace them.

United earlier in the season had to play Carrick and Fletcher in centre back even though that's not their position.

You haven't got any more sub goalies? My heart bleeds, stick an outfielder in there and stick gloves on him imo.

It's not Fulop you should be looking for from sunderland either, it's Niall Quinn.

Didn't he save a pen for you lot before?

This Giraldo seems to be a bit of a phantom tbh, the only place I can see him listed is his own Wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gonz%C3%A1lez_Giraldo

he isn't mentioned in the most recent Man City Reserves match

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Match-reports/2010/April/Man-Utd-Res-v-City-Res

Manchester City:
    Karius, Vidal, Cunningham, Boyata, Wabara, Kay, Tutte, Ibrahim, Ball, Mak, Nimely

Unused subs:
    Veseli, Ole, Benali, Wood, Chantler

As far as I know this Giraldo is extremly injury prone and this is why he isn't listed he's been injured almost the entire time he's been there

http://wevegotrobinho.blogspot.com/2010/02/david-gonzalez-did-sign.html

Its mentioned here he was playing reserve matches while on trial before he signed as well.

http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news/sports/7902-colombian-goalkeeper-to-join-manchester-city.html

And was signed on a free so theres no ineligiblity issues with the transfer window AFAIK.

As far as I know this Giraldo is extremly injury prone and this is why he isn't listed he's been injured almost the entire time he's been there

well if they stopped signing injury prone keepers then perhaps they wouldn't be in this mess.

Their own fault, they have enough money for fifty keepers, but only have four on the books, one of them out on loan and another one who's injury prone.

• Advertisement

It's not Fulop you should be looking for from sunderland either, it's Niall Quinn.

Didn't he save a pen for you lot before?

Yeah from Dean Saunders back in the day.

It used to be on youtube but but not anymore.

He has played in the reserves and has looked crap by all accounts I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Shouldn't be allowed IMO , this is why you plan for a season and city have had enough money to do it. I know Villa did this before but that shouldn't be allowed either. There are transfer windows for transfers and outside of that you should have enough cover. Loaning a keeper with 3 games to go, ridiculas!!...City have 11 goalkeepers on their books and a reserve keeper, if he isn't good enough to step up he shouldn't be at the club in the first place.

You didn't see Utd begging for additional transfers when we had no defenders fit in December and if we asked for the premiership to allow us to sign someone they'd had told us where to go. Next it'll be "All our strikers are injured and we don't wanna use our reserves or youths" better ask the premiership can we loan Lionel Messi for a month.

Maybe he just doesn't have a contract.

Surely he would have needed a work permit?

well if they stopped signing injury prone keepers then perhaps they wouldn't be in this mess.

Their own fault, they have enough money for fifty keepers, but only have four on the books, one of them out on loan and another one who's injury prone.
    Oh I wasn't defending there decision to sign an injury prone keeper also I think Stuart Taylor(?) is also always injured isn't he?

Surely regardless of mysterious dodgy Colombians, City should have several younger keepers at the club?

You just know, football being as it is, that Fulop or whatever new keeper is signed will save a penalty on the last day of the season to put them into the CL.:pac:

We actually have about six

Given
    Taylor
    Hart
    Nielsen
    Giraldo
    Johansen

And there's another young fella whose name escapes me.

• Advertisement

Oh I wasn't defending there decision to sign an injury prone keeper also I think Stuart Taylor(?) is also always injured isn't he?

Ah I know, I'm only wumming Xavi.

Be gas if they did get a loan keeper who proceded to drop an absolute Gomes-esque clanger to deny them 4th place

And there's another young fella whose name escapes me.
    Karius?

Seems to be the name listed in the line up from the last reserve game

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Shouldn't be allowed IMO , this is why you plan for a season and city have had enough money to do it. I know Villa did this before but that shouldn't be allowed either. There are transfer windows for transfers and outside of that you should have enough cover. Loaning a keeper with 3 games to go, ridiculas!!...City have 11 goalkeepers on their books and a reserve keeper, if he isn't good enough to step up he shouldn't be at the club in the first place.

You didn't see Utd begging for additional transfers when we had no defenders fit in December and if we asked for the premiership to allow us to sign someone they'd had told us where to go. Next it'll be "All our strikers are injured and we don't wanna use our reserves or youths" better ask the premiership can we loan Lionel Messi for a month.

Correct United would never do this......

.....except when they needed a keeper a few years back and got two in.

Ah I know, I'm only wumming Xavi.

Be gas if they did get a loan keeper who proceded to drop an absolute Gomes-esque clanger to deny them 4th place

I was thinking we could loan them gomes and instruct him to have numerous clangers ;)

and got two in.

:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement