Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Des wrote: »
    Ah I know, I'm only wumming Xavi.

Be gas if they did get a loan keeper who proceded to drop an absolute Gomes-esque clanger to deny them 4th place

I prefer Flah's scenario!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Correct United would never do this......

.....except when they needed a keeper a few years back and got two in.

I don't think that was outside of the transfer window though, we bought when we had the chance. And even so I don't recall it so more than likely was either inside the transfer window, loan window or free signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I don't think that was outside of the transfer window though, we bought when we had the chance. And even so I don't recall it so more than likely was either inside the transfer window, loan window or free signing.

Andy Goram signed for Manchester United in March 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/1232453.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Was that not before the introduction of transfer windows though?

EDIT:// Yes it was, Transfer Windows were introduced in the 02/03 season apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

Degag wrote: »

No, I don't think so

edit, actually I think you are correct, seemingly the Transfer Window was introduced to England in 2001-02

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Here's a few that happened (relatively) recently.
    Kiraly to West Ham:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/6158332.stm

Kiraly to Villa: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/6179755.stm

Nash to Wigan: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/6294593.stm
    As well as Goram.
    Kiraly signed for us when we had Rob Green still available as well as Jimmy Walker. We also loaned our young keeper Marek Stech out to Bournemouth this season on an emergency loan so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kiraly to West Ham:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/6158332.stm

Kiraly to Villa: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/6179755.stm

Nash to Wigan: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/6294593.stm
    As well as Goram.
    Kiraly signed for us when we had Rob Green still available as well as Jimmy Walker. We also loaned our young keeper Marek Stech out to Bournemouth this season on an emergency loan so I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    Just out of curiosity Ipswich had there plea turned down to loan Murphy unroll the winter transfer window and I don't think they had any back up for there keeper

Says nothing about needing to ask the FA to sign him though..

Degag wrote: »

EDIT:// Yes it was, Transfer Windows were introduced in the 02/03 season apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

Wrong link man, that says
    The system has been used in many European leagues before being brought into compulsory effect by FIFA during the 2002-03 season.

It was in use in England the season before
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Says nothing about needing to ask the FA to sign him though..

I know, that's because we've since ascertained that there was no Transfer Window in place for that season, so it was a legitimate signing.

Xavi was wrong to bring it up, but I'm glad he did because

1. It improved my knowledge about football
    2. The way he did was fairly funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Wrong link man, that says

It was in use in England the season before

Wouldn't the Goram transfer be 2 season before though in 2000/2001 so probably didn't apply in that case.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the Goram transfer be 2 season before though in 2000/2001

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Yes.

so not all that relevant as an example then from whoever brought it up :)

Yeah so it's not a good example at all. I can't see why they didn't have a recall clause on Joe Hart since it is a domestic loan he should be able to come back within 24 hours if they added that. UNless Birmingham payed a significant fee for him for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I brought it up knowing that the window was introduced either just before or just after.

I decided to wing it on the basis of the joke available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

As well as Goram.

Just because it happened before doesn't make it right IMO, then or now. The law is flawed and is being exploited and has been before. It was designed for clubs in dire need, this time and other times the needs is and has not been dire IMO.

Well happy to hear that City have been allowed to sign their emergency keeper..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

flahavaj wrote: »
    Just because it happened before doesn't make it right IMO, then or now. The law is flawed and is being exploited and has been before. It was designed for clubs in dire need, this time and other times the needs is and has not been dire IMO.

I agree but once the rule is there it will continue to be "exploited".Too many people here bashing Man City here when all they are doing is doing what probably most of the other 19 clubs would be doing should they find themselves in our position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

The gross hypocrisy on here from supporters of other clubs is nothing short of astounding. You even object to us recalling our own keeper from loan? Laughable to be perfectly honest. I guarantee opinions would be reversed if your club had a goalkeeper crisis and were fighting for 4th place.

Too busy dancing and whooping to give a damn!!!!!

Just need to concentrate now on that 4th position:D

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    The gross hypocrisy on here from supporters of other clubs is nothing short of astounding. You even object to us recalling our own keeper from loan? Laughable to be perfectly honest. I guarantee opinions would be reversed if your club had a goalkeeper crisis and were fighting for 4th place.

Ye don't have a goalkeeping crisis. ;)

If it was United I'd have a good LOL about it. I'd be happy enough that the club is using the rules and precedent to their advantage and be delighted they were getting someone in on loan.

But I'd also accept it if other clubs had a problem with it, or if people pointed out that the ruling itself is flawed. I wouldn't give a f*ck mind you, or spend too much time whinging about their protestations, but they would be perfectly correct in pointing it out nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Can you imagine how Nielson feels? He is the third choice keeper this season, and doesn't even get a game when the first two keepers are injured. Its really utterly pointless for him to be at the club

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Can you imagine how Nielson feels? He is the third choice keeper this season, and doesn't even get a game when the first two keepers are injured. Its really utterly pointless for him to be at the club

I know, it isn't very nice to be overlooked at your football team!!!:rolleyes:

I hate to see it done anywhere, it's amazing the lengths some clubs will go to to avoid fielding players they have no confidence in

I'm sorry but Nielsen is a professional. He needs to realise that he simply isn't the player to handle the three biggest games in the club's recent history.

Someone like Fulop has played in the Premiership and has the big game experience. Nielsen simply doesn't.

It's not about shattering someone's confidence, it's about having the right balance to win, and we need a goalkeeper with more than 17 minutes top flight football under his belt.

Fuck his feelings tbh.

I'm sorry but Nielsen is a professional. He needs to realise that he simply isn't the player to handle the three biggest games in the club's recent history.

Someone like Fulop has played in the Premiership and has the big game experience. Nielsen simply doesn't.

It's not about shattering someone's confidence, it's about having the right balance to win, and we need a goalkeeper with more than 17 minutes top flight football under his belt.

Fuck his feelings tbh.

My thoughts excactly, although the fcuk his feelings bit is a bit harsh for me but still it's a bit rich reading criticisms from fans whose own clubs haven't excactly been very confident in some of their own players of late!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Fuck his feelings tbh.

:D Have to agree. City do need experience between the sticks for the last 3 games. Villa and Spurs will be testing the keeper on crosses, shot stopping, handling ect. Too big a gamble to trust your 3rd choice keeper. Is Nielsen even 3rd choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

karma_ wrote: »

Hypocrisy my ear....Arsenal had a goalkeeping crisis this season and had to play their 3rd choice keeper (Vito Mannone) for several games. And we were challenging for the league.

I thought Man City had a youth academy, surely there is a couple of keepers there?

As for the agreement with Joe Hart, if Man City wanted the option to recall him, why was that not put in the loan agreement?

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Hypocrisy my ear....Arsenal had a goalkeeping crisis this season and had to play their 3rd choice keeper (Vito Mannone) for several games. And we were challenging for the league.

I thought Man City had a youth academy, surely there is a couple of keepers there?

As for the agreement with Joe Hart, if Man City wanted the option to recall him, why was that not put in the loan agreement?
    I was very surprised to hear that if there was an agreement in place that they could have and more surprised that it wasn't in the contract. There was no way you'd be able to recall him.
    Fulop is a very good keeper on his day and filled in very well when Gordon was out city have done well to get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I was very surprised to hear that if there was an agreement in place that they could have and more surprised that it wasn't in the contract. There was no way you'd be able to recall him.
    Fulop is a very good keeper on his day and filled in very well when Gordon was out city have done well to get him.

Afaik you can't recall a player you've sent out on a season long loan.

Welcome Martin Fulop

Interesting fact - his father Felipe invented the beach sandal

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Afaik you can't recall a player you've sent out on a season long loan.
    I thought it was you couldn't recall a player from inside the same division but it was onn bbc last night that they could of put a recall clause into the loan deal

• Advertisement

Welcome Martin Fulop

Interesting fact - his father Felipe invented the beach sandal

Depends on your interpretation of "interesting" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Big game this weekend. It being a home game, I have my hopes for a solid win, but too many variables in the equation. The biggest of course, who will start in goals and how will missing Shay effect the team?

Gillington wrote: »
    Depends on your interpretation of "interesting" :P

My humour really is wasted round these parts.

Read the 'fact' then the father's full name....

:pac:

My humour really is wasted round these parts.

Read the 'fact' then the father's full name....

:pac:

D'oh! Wheres the hang my head in shame smiley!?
    How'd I miss that

Gillington wrote: »
    D'oh! Wheres the hang my head in shame smiley!?
    How'd I miss that

Me too:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Saw this story in The Guardian. Is Tevez on his way out?
    Roberto Mancini's uneasy relationship with Carlos Tevez is threatening the player's future at Manchester City after the manager confirmed they had clashed behind the scenes. The Italian said the forward should leave the club if he is unhappy with his coaching methods.

Mancini confirmed he had summoned Tevez to his office to ask for an explanation about the player's recent criticisms of his training regime. The Italian told his leading scorer he would not tolerate any more of this, regardless of the fact that Tevez has scored 28 goals this season and is the overwhelming choice to be named City's player of the year. The two men shook hands at the end of a largely one-sided conversation and agreed to focus on City's remaining three games of the season, but stories have emerged this week of the Argentinian considering his future.

Asked if he thought Tevez might be unhappy, Mancini replied: "I don't know. Tevez has four years left on his contract. But I don't know. If he's not happy, it would be better [for him] to change squads. If a top player is not happy to stay here then it's better [for him] to go to another team."

Tevez upset Mancini by complaining about the manager's habit of arranging double training sessions. Mancini does this every Tuesday if there is no midweek game, and Tevez said: "The players are not happy with this. We are at the end of a long season, we have big matches, we are tired, but there are still double training sessions, morning and afternoon. Then, the next day, we train for two hours. I do not understand."

This was in an interview in the Daily Mail in the week preceding the Manchester derby, when Tevez had been specifically asked not to speak to the media. He went on to say he was "OK" with Mancini but the former Internazionale coach felt his authority had been undermined by a player he has repeatedly talked up as being one of the best in the world.

At the time Mancini said he did not want to take issue with the former United striker before such an important game. The timing is still bad from a City perspective, with important games coming up against Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur in the next few days, but Mancini was willing to explain his irritation as he shaped up for the most critical phase of City's season.

Mancini said today: "I've spoken to Tevez. What we said was private but I did remind him that there had been only one time when he had to train twice in a day [since Mancini was appointed].

"We have trained twice four times in the five months I have been here. On two of those times Carlos was in Argentina and one time he was here but didn't train. So I don't know why [he's unhappy]. When we don't have a midweek game I always train two times on Tuesday because it's the only way I know. By doing this we can improve."

Mancini added: "It's important that when a manager or player works in a team, he must be happy. If he's not, it's not good for the club, for the squad, or for the player. This is not just for Tevez but for all the players; for Tevez, for Manu [Emmanuel Adebayor], for me, for everyone.

"I don't know if Carlos Tevez is unhappy. He must be content, though, because we have to play three important games. For the players it is a crucial moment. They must put everything they have on the pitch."

Tevez, whose English is still limited, did not offer an apology. "When I speak to a player, I don't need an apology," Mancini said. "I've played football, I know players very well and I know these situations. I think he's happy because he's worked very well the last two weeks. I hope Carlos can score three or four goals in the next three games, and afterwards we can decide if he has a problem."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/29/roberto-mancini-carlos-tevez-city-manchester

Sounds like his attitude off the pitch doesn't match his attitude on it.

Saw this story in The Guardian. Is Tevez on his way out?

Sounds like his attitude off the pitch doesn't match his attitude on it.

Would LOL so hard if he whinged his way out of City after just one year.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I thought it was you couldn't recall a player from inside the same division but it was onn bbc last night that they could of put a recall clause into the loan deal

Ah right. Interesting stuff. Not going to lie ... it was in Football Manager that it claims you cannot include a recall clause in a year long loan. :pac: Teaches me not to take it as gospel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd imagine Mancini would be gone alot quicker than Tevez.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He wants MORE money and obejcts to having to train twice in a day ONCE? I don't think I can believe that.

• Advertisement

Yeah there must be alot more to it then that.

DONT GO CARLOS!!!!!

Lol,I sound like 1000's of United fans now.

id say theres more chance of bob going than charlie! Mancini hasnt been getting the best, or anything all that great out of his players, so id say theres more unrest than just Bellers, Tevez and the few others whove been mentioned.

2 big big matches coming up, this isnt the time to be saying the 5th isnt failure, its time to be saying that destiny calls! that the strong survive to Europe. And by god, we need 11 players at their best and playing like theyve been playing together since they were 10.

City have it all to do, and every chance of doing it well! Lets get over the line and lets do it with 9 from 9!

COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

hi lads, for fantasy football reasons im looking for city players this week. which defenders midfielders are likely to start next too games and clock up a few pts if possible. i'm thinking kompany and toure, belemy is seen as a striker

Good win at the weekend, now its all down to the next two matches, and we need to beat Spurs! If we find our best form, we can definatly do it! European football, here we come!

come on CITY!

folan wrote: »
    Good win at the weekend, now its all down to the next two matches, and we need to beat Spurs! If we find our best form, we can definatly do it! European football, here we come!

come on CITY!

WOO HOO!!!!!

Here's hoping we can do it, imagine in Europe with loadsa cash:D
    No wonder the others are quaking in their boots:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ondarack wrote: »
    hi lads, for fantasy football reasons im looking for city players this week. which defenders midfielders are likely to start next too games and clock up a few pts if possible. i'm thinking kompany and toure, belemy is seen as a striker

FF thread tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

WOO HOO!!!!!

Here's hoping we can do it, imagine in Europe with loadsa cash:D
    No wonder the others are quaking in their boots:eek:

If they make the CL, I reckon they will be on the warpath bigstyle. I can't wait to see who they get. If Jose doesn't move to Real I could see City being a tempting prospect.

Cant wait for tomorrow night,our "Cup Final" if you wanna look at it that way! Gonna have a few beers down the boozer with my bro who's also a City fan and as many Spurs fans as we can round up! My aim is to be thrown out,beaten up by all the jealous Spurs fans but only after a 2-0 victory!

Only messin bout all that but anyways,what think ye lot of tevez during the Villa game? Wasnt his usual self,dont wanna get worked up about it but he does seem like the player that any off-field goings on would affect his performance on the pitch.

Doesn't look I'll have any way to see the game tomorrow unfortunately so I'm just gonna go to bed and pray I wake up to a win.

I'd say we'll draw though tbh.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look I'll have any way to see the game tomorrow unfortunately so I'm just gonna go to bed and pray I wake up to a win.

I'd say we'll draw though tbh.

Ah Xavi, no pessimism allowed tomorrow at all.........No reason we shouldn't do this unless we of course "implode" as is expected of us:D

We'll be on fire (hopefully), feck it, it's awful hard to be optomistic being a City fan:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement