Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I hope to God we don't sell Ned. We have a top 4 defender in the making there. Himself and Prince Vince at centre half has all the makings of a pairing that could last years, yet we persist with that donkey Toure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Harte to replace Given? Im not so sure of that.

Ned + RIchards are 2 of the best young defenders in the league, and I can see them leaving for a team that sees that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

folan wrote: »
    I can see Richards going on that oft rumoured Villa trip

i dont rate him at all tbh

he'd be woefully overpriced too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

folan wrote: »
    Harte to replace Given? Im not so sure of that.

Ned + RIchards are 2 of the best young defenders in the league, and I can see them leaving for a team that sees that.

He is out for months, I am.
    Richards? Not good enough for me.

slingerz wrote: »
    Why would you sell Wayne Bridge??

I think Liverpool would be very interested if he was available

He cannot defend well enough, he never stops crosses and something rarely comes of him attacking.

Evra
    Clichy
    Bale
    Cole
    Bridge..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I think we have been very weak in both fullback positions this season. I like Richards and hope we keep him as I think he could mature but he can be easily caught out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Micah Richards without Richard Dunne is a completely different player.Wouldnt be surprised if Villa came knocking

http://mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/May/Carlos-reveals-City-dream
    Carlos revels City dream

Carlos Tevez says he is determined to help to take the club to unchartered heights in the coming years.

The Blues’ Player of the Year also reckons City should forget targeting fourth spot next season - and instead concentrate on winning the title.

His words will be music to the ears of his legion of fans who have come to love his never-say-die attitude over the past year and who will be hoping he can finish the campaign on 30 goals if he can find the net one more time at West Ham tomorrow.

“I’ve really enjoyed my first season at the club, but this is only the beginning,” said Carlos.

“What we’ve got to do next is forget about finishing in the top four – that is now a thing of the past - we now need to think about winning the Premier League – that is the right thing for this club and should be our next aim.

“We need to go all out for the title and that’s the mindset we need to have from next season.”

The Argentine crowd idol also was keen to thank the City fans and his team-mates for the two prestigious club awards he picked up earlier this week.

The newly-crowned Player of the Year also scooped the Players’ Player of the Year award on Thursday evening and he was clearly honoured to be chosen by both the supporters and his team-mates for his outstanding contribution this season.

“I’m honoured and grateful to have received the awards,” he said. “I’ve felt so welcome from day one and that I’m genuinely touched and feel extremely happy.

“Winning the supporters’ award is extra special because they have been wonderful all season. It’s a great source of pride and motivation when I see so many supporters, especially young children, with my name on their back.”

Carlos also revealed there is a growing City fan base in his country with the Blues steadily becoming more popular over the past year.

“That’s absolutely right – there are more and more people getting behind me and the rest of the lads back home in Argentina and that support continues to grow,” he said.

“I’d like to thank the people in Argentina for the support they’ve shown me this season, too.

I hope to score many more goals both for City and Argentina – particularly during the World Cup!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Mancini's refusal to select Stephen Ireland worries me, love him or hate him, you have to admit he is a top class player - Great creativity, very good decision maker and has superb vision too. After the likes of Fabregas, Lampard, Gerrard etc, he's probably the best attacking midfielder in the league(imo). Mancini seems to prefer picking two DM's, who despite providing solidity at the back, offer nothing going forward. There's no room for roaming midfielders like Ireland, with that being the case, I find it hard to imagine how they will break down top class defences, Tevez is the only player in the team with Ireland's guile and creativity, as good as he is, he'll find it very difficult carving up defences with almost no support

• Advertisement

mr.mayo wrote: »
    Mancini's refusal to select Stephen Ireland worries me, love him or hate him, you have to admit he is a top class player - Great creativity, very good decision maker and has superb vision too. After the likes of Fabregas, Lampard, Gerrard etc, he's probably the best attacking midfielder in the league(imo). Mancini seems to prefer picking two DM's, who despite providing solidity at the back, offer nothing going forward. There's no room for roaming midfielders like Ireland, with that being the case, I find it hard to imagine how they will break down top class defences, Tevez is the only player in the team with Ireland's guile and creativity, as good as he is, he'll find it very difficult carving up defences with almost no support

Stephen Ireland has been dire this season when played in his preferred position, Mancini doesn't simply refuse to play him for no reason.

The creative playmaker/midfielder position will be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I think dire is an overstatement tbh, he hasn't done a lot when he has played but he hasn't had a decent run of games either. It would be crazy to write him off considering last season. Ironically he is the type of player we look like we need most.

Personally I hope Mancini has kept with the two defensive midfielders because of our defence, although I remember something about criticising Hughes for not having enough defensive midfielders.

It doesn't feel like the best season now but 5th and a LC semi is decent progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not sure how good Mancinis English is but interesting that he says that Ireland needs to "change his head" to return to previous seasons form.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/irelands-problems-in-his-head-mancini-2175034.html
    Roberto Mancini believes that Stephen Ireland's doubts about his future at Manchester City are purely psychological and that he can restore him to the levels of the 2008/09 season if this aspect of his complex make-up can be resolved.
    Ireland declared last week that he has doubts about his future at City and suggested that it is in the club's hands whether he remains there next season. But Mancini, who has already spoken directly to the player once, has said he is intent on doing so again in order to revitalise one of the fans' most popular players.
    "I spoke to Stephen two weeks ago but we must speak again soon," Mancini said. "I don't know what he is thinking about his future but, for me, Stephen is a fantastic player and if he can change his head I think he can start to play like last season again."

Grow his hair back?

hmmm..

Ireland showed he can be one of the best in 08/09, but last season was dreadful for him. If he stays, he has to struggle with himself and fight for his place.

It being Ireland, it could go either way.

Just came across Mad Zab's Facebook page. Seems like such a down to earth guy.

Some really cool Average Joe type pics with his mates as well -

8925_100156403341422_100000411873253_1257_1829535_n.jpg

Anyone see soccer AM this morning.

Onuoha was on, I only caught a few mins but he seemed to be criticising Mancini over Lescott, I got the impression he wasn't happy with things atm. Could be on the way out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Anyone see soccer AM this morning.

Onuoha was on, I only caught a few mins but he seemed to be criticising Mancini over Lescott, I got the impression he wasn't happy with things atm. Could be on the way out??

He said a lot of stuff he probably shouldn't have.
    Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha has revealed his disappointment after making only 13 appearances this season.

The 23-year-old saw City claim their highest ever finish in the Premier League, but says it was difficult watching the majority of the campaign from the sidelines.

The Eastlands club narrowly missed out on qualification for next season's Champions League after being pipped to fourth by Tottenham, but Onuoha admitted he did not feel part of the club's success or particularly wanted by manager Roberto Mancini.

"It was good to see the club be so successful because I've been there for so long," he told Soccer AM. "But I almost feel like I was taking a backseat to a lot of the action.

"With Mark Hughes I didn't play initially, but I had a feeling that I was going to be playing more and then he lost his job and the new manager came in and I don't know, I just don't think he liked me to be honest.

"I kept myself available and kept myself fit and I was being very professional, but in the end it just wasn't to be."

The Nigeria-born star also had sympathy for team-mate Joleon Lescott who missed out on a place in England's World Cup squad.

"I feel for Joleon Lescott to be honest," he said. "I think the way that he was handled towards the end of the season in terms of injury by sort of management and stuff has almost cost him a place.

"I think it was the week or two weeks before the season ended the manager came out and said he's going to be unavailable for the final two games and that wasn't the case because at the time I think he was coming back into training."

"I was surprised in the final week of the season how he wasn't involved," he added. "I think with someone like, for example, Harry Redknapp throughout the season he's pushing all his players to try and get into the England squad.

"And the players are good enough, and when there's so much noise being made about them you'll end up getting in there.

"You look at Tom Huddlestone for example; he's without doubt now guaranteed to be making the 30-man England squads from now until the end of his career."

Busy

City are once again expected to be busy in the transfer market this summer with owner Sheikh Mansour's pockets appearing to be infinitely deep.

But Onuoha warned the club against buying players that could unbalance the current squad.

"I think sometimes you do need new players," he said. "But the way the squad is now is really good and it's really competitive and you just have to look at how close we came to coming fourth this year.

"Just because you've got money it doesn't mean you have to spend it, but if you are to spend it, spend it well. Make sure it's a player that's going to fit into the team and help the team go forward, as opposed to one which changes the total dynamic of the club."

As well as those arriving at the City of Manchester Stadium in time for the new season there will doubt be a few heading for the exit door.

Head

Stephen Ireland is one name which is constantly being linked with a move away from the club, and this week Mancini said the player 'must change his head' before the new season.

However, Onuoha beleives his team-mate is the ultimate professional and admitted his surprise at his manager's remarks.

"To be honest the general consensus is that his head is probably a little bit too small!" he joked.

"But I heard that and I was a bit surprised to be honest because he's one of the hardest working players I've ever played with. And he's probably the best player I've ever played with as well.

"As you know he's got unbelievable tekkers!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He certainly sounds like someone who wants to move on. Name dropping 'Arry and all, might there be more to that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

He certainly sounds like someone who wants to move on. Name dropping 'Arry and all, might there be more to that?

To be fair to the lad, for the past week or so, rumours of 14 first team players being shipped out haven't helped, and he's right he hasn't really been given much of a chance this season.

I honestly don't see the point of gutting a squad that comfortably finished 5th, sure there is 5 or 6 players that could be sold but 14 is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just listened to a Ryan Nelsen interview. He was asked about the Mark Hughes thing at Man City, and he said he felt Sparky got a raw deal and went on to say that if Lescott has not been signed that Nelsen was next on his shopping list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Skysports.com understands Manchester City have tabled a big money offer for Aston Villa winger James Milner.

The England international enjoyed a sparkling 2009/10 campaign, considerably raising his profile.

Reports in January speculated that a number of top clubs were keeping tabs on the talented 24-year-old, with it widely believed that there is still more to come from him in the future.

City have now made the first move, and it is believed that Roberto Mancini is willing to part with around £20million to take the reigning PFA Young Player of the Year to Eastlands.

It is easy to understand why the Blues are so keen on the former Leeds and Newcastle man, as he has just finished his most productive season to date.

A respectable return of 12 goals from midfield marks him out as a useful addition to any side, while his versatility can also prove priceless.

Busy summer
    Milner is able to operate on either flank or at full-back, while he blossomed in the centre of midfield for Villa since being shifted inside by Martin O'Neill.

He has been included in Fabio Capello's preliminary squad for this summer's World Cup and is widely regarded as a shoo-in to make the final cut.

Villa have yet to respond to the offer on the table from City but will be reluctant to part with their key performers.

Unfortunately for O'Neill, there are plenty of other teams rumoured to be ready to make a move and he could be in for a busy summer.

Premier League champions Chelsea are also said to be keen on Milner and they could be tempted to chance their arm in an effort to prevent one of their rivals from strengthening their squad.

SkySports

• Advertisement

Nothing current ssquad related but Didi Hamann has taken a 1yrs coaching role at MK Dons,hope it works out for him,always liked him

article on the main page with some info on some of the young lads moving up the ladder!

its good to see the academy is still working hard. It was a worry at the start of the season, but im glad to see it still doing well! would hate for it to go the way of some other academys, like liverpools.

Just read on the Irish Times site that Ireland has handed in a transfer request.

Ah balls. http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0524/1224271084168.html

Sounds weird but I'd much rather see Stevie stay than Mancini!

From player of the year one year to leaving this year?

Curse of MCFC player of the year?

I'm very disappointed in all parties involved.

Sorry Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Martin O'Neil would love to take Ireland to Villa so it may help with getting Milner to Eastlands

greendom wrote: »
    I think Martin O'Neil would love to take Ireland to Villa so it may help with getting Milner to Eastlands
    Id prefer to have Ireland to Milner though tbh

I think a fit and in form Ireland gave a lot more to the squad than he could. Ireland was excelent for us 2 years back, and through injury, never really got a chance to build any form, so as late as it was in the season, he didnt get back into the team.

Ill be disappointed to see him go, i hoped hed get through the summer,l put in an impressive preseason and get back into the team!

I've just had a dig round and there is nothing more than a Mirror article to have ignited this, and we've sued them on how many occassions now?

Some ITK folk saying it's typical bollox and nothing of the sort has happened as of yet.

• Advertisement

Its in the Guardian too, linking us with Arteta as his replacement. Nowhere else though. Hopefully its just rumours.

Actually its on RTE now too. I'd trust those three sources tbh.

It's a joke really, I think Ireland is a much better player than Milner, bit messed up though.

If we got Arteta and Milner instead I'd be delighted.

Yea maybe, I suppose that would be a good deal. I'd just like to see the homegrown players stay and come good.

Bit sh1t if he has handed in a transfer request, its not been a good season for Ireland but he should show some loyalty and determination and try again imo.

gossip is linking the KOP to Michael Johnson. Hes kinda been like vaporware for city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Yea maybe, I suppose that would be a good deal. I'd just like to see the homegrown players stay and come good.

Bit sh1t if he has handed in a transfer request, its not been a good season for Ireland but he should show some loyalty and determination and try again imo.

Come on now...it's Stephen ireland we are talking about here. The word "loyalty" doesnt come into the equation for him unless you are talking about loyalty to himself, his girlfriend and his fishtank.

People will say about how he gets himslef into great shape, how he was so committed to city by training durg the internationals etc etc. That could also be interpreted to him keeping in shape that he would keep his place at a hugely advancing club and the loyalty was just as much to himself in my opinion.

the irionic thing is that, if he had continued to play with the National team and we had qualified for the W.Cup (2 ifs I know) then he would now have put himself in the shop window instead of putting in a transfer request and having to compete with all the other players on display at the World Cup to get a transfer to a top team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

City in talks wit Real Madrid over Gago and Higuain. Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Linky?

Gago = Meh.

Higuain = Not gonna move to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

breaking news bar on Sky Sports News a few minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Higuain would be a great buy, and Tevez might just have a word in his ear.

But Gago? No need for him at all. Barry, and more importantly, De Jong are far superior players. City need attacking minded midfielders, from which Gago is a far cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

flahavaj wrote: »
    Linky?

Gago = Meh.

Higuain = Not gonna move to City.
    its on sky sports news.
    I dont rate gago either and Higuin is a class act cant see him been sold .I doubt there will be any moves out of Real until Jose has signed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Surely even Real aren't stupid enough to even contemplate selling Higuain? And if they were he can do far better than City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Real havent even offered Higuain a new contract yet, so it could be true.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

City clearly not deterred by UEFA's new financial ruling then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Perez trying to sell them before Jose has a say.

Exactly. Whether it's City or not, Higuain heading away from Madrid is quite likely and wouldn't be a surprise in the slightest.

Hopefully we'll be his next stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Crisis. I imagine there will be a few players leaving City this summer so. Bellamy is nailed on it seems. Santa Cruz too I reckon. What about Adebayor?

No reason to suggest that Ade is going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Don't see why Bellamy would go. He's on the left side of a 4-3-3, the rest listed are central strikers. Ade, Cruz, Higuain and Dzeko.

He would go because of Mancini, not for football reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He would go because of Mancini, not for football reasons.

Does he not get on with him or something?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement