Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

City due to play Barcelona in our final pre season friendly. Xavi's gonna like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    City due to play Barcelona in our final pre season friendly. Xavi's gonna like that :)
    I wonder what jersey will Ronaldinho be wearing! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok a few players have left City in a the last day or so -

- Andreas Isaksson to PSV

- Sun Jihai to Sheffield United

- Geovanni to Hull (rumoured)

Nice to see some of the deadwood moving on.

From MCFC.co.uk -
    Jô signs for Club record transfer fee

Manchester City can confirm the Club record signing of Brazilian international striker Jô from CSKA Moscow on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
    The 21-year-old hitman becomes Mark Hughes' first signing as City Manager and comes with a record of 44 goals in 77 games for CSKA since joining from Corinthians in 2005.

During his time in Moscow, Jô helped CSKA to two Russian Super Cups, the Russian Premier League title in 2006 along with the Russian Cup in the same season.

Speaking about his first signing as City Manager, Mark Hughes exclusively told [url]www.mcfc.co.uk:[/url] "He’s a big talent and a young man with a big future.

"A lot has been said about him and there was a big expectation on him coming out of Brazil. So with the success he’s had I think it’s a real coup that we’ve been able to bring him to the Club.

"He’s a big guy, in stature and in ability, so I think everybody will enjoy watching him play."

'We can go places,' says Jô

New Club record signing, João Alves de Assis Silva, aka Jô has been speaking at a press conference this afternoon at the City of Manchester Stadium.
    On completing the deal, which is believed to significantly eclipse the fee paid to Paris-Saint Germain for Nicolas Anelka, the Brazilian striker said: "I decided to come to Manchester City because it is one of the clubs who showed more interest in me, although I had other offers as well."

Speaking through a translator and sitting alongside Manager Mark Hughes, the tall, lean striker continued: "After I spoke to the manager I was very pleased. I was told Manchester City is a club going forward at the moment.

"We can go places, that is our objective. We thought about it and I decided to come to Manchester City for that reason."

City also had to fight off interest from other clubs including Spanish Primera Liga side Valencia, as the 21-year-old confirmed: "The club who showed interest officially was Valencia. I know from the press there were other clubs who showed interest."

It was also confirmed that Jô will wear the number 14 shirt.

Jo-Manchester-City-July-2008_998073.jpg

Absolutely delighted!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Your only delighted cos getting a name put on your new Citeh shirt will now be really cheap.

Any idea how much he was signed for? How much was Anelka?

• Advertisement

Nah won't be getting him on the shirt I don't think. I learnt my lesson with Samaras.

Anelka was £13 million. This is undisclosed but meant to be £18 million in total with £7 million up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Manchester City are leading the race to sign Brazil forward Ronaldinho from Barcelona, the Primera Liga club's president Joan Laporta said.

Ronaldinho and/or his representative were expected in Barcelona on Monday to hold talks over the player's future, with AC Milan and City the two clubs known to have shown an interest.

Spanish media have reported an offer of €32 million, plus variables, is on the table from the English Premier League club.

'(Ronaldinho and his agent) have two interesting proposals and they are leaning more towards the one from Manchester City,' Laporta told Catalunya Radio.

'We hope to be able to resolve the situation this week.'

Milan's chief executive Adriano Galliani has flown into Barcelona to try and sign the Brazilian for the Serie A club.

Ronaldinho, 28, was not present on Monday morning to start pre-season fitness tests under new coach Pep Guardiola, and it was not known whether he or his brother and agent Roberto de Assis would be arriving in the afternoon for talks with the club over his future.

Barcelona had said they had expected Ronaldinho to turn up to begin the season on Monday despite Guardiola having announced that the playmaker was surplus to requirements.

The Catalan side had also said they were not prepared to release Ronaldinho to join Dunga's Brazil squad for next month's Beijing Olympics. Dunga has included him as an over-age player.

Ronaldinho, who shone when Barca won back-to-back league titles and the European Cup in 2006, suffered fitness and injury problems last season, dropping out of first-team contention.

As part of their move to galvanise the team ahead of next season, after two years without silverware, Barcelona have made it clear the former World Player of the Year is not wanted but have found it difficult to off-load him.

Link.

Surprising. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

£32m PLUS variables?

He's not worth that.

There's a lot of talk of a pay as you play deal. We'll make an absolute packet in endorsements and merchandise sold if he does sign. From a marketing perspective it's a dream move for the club and it's good to see us competing with the likes of Milan for players.

However it's dragging on a lot now and we have our first game of the season on Thursday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Des wrote: »
    £32m PLUS variables?

He's not worth that.

Euro not £32m = about £25.5m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Slight Rule Change Folks!

This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted.

2. Transfers.
    - When a major transfer occurs, please post in the specific thread
    - We will merge/split discussion on requests
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

3. Users who repeatedly ignore these guidelines will receive warnings/bans.

Looks like Gorgeous George is off to Celtic, one million quid now and another million after a hundred games. Uncut diamond my arse, good riddance.

Link

Lol well I guess it's time to retire that jersey I have with his name on the back!

Oh dear! At least there is plenty of Greeks around your parts that might take it off you, tell them its match worn and soaked in Samaras sweat and you might get 20 quid for it :) We all had such high hopes for our Greek adonis, judging by the You Tube clips from his Herrenveen days he looked better than Pele. Turned out he wasn't even on a par with French Toni!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Looks like Milan won the battle for Ron...according to them anyway:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7505761.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This deserves a whole thread surely?

Its a big transfer story.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

mike65 wrote: »
    This deserves a whole thread surely?

Its a big transfer story.

Mike.

Well I wasn't sure if it had been done already and I would wait till tomorrow to have it confirmed.

I still can't believe that Man City were in the hunt for him.

Really shows their ambition for this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Gillie wrote: »
    Well I wasn't sure if it had been done already and I would wait till tomorrow to have it confirmed.

I still can't believe that Man City were in the hunt for him.

Really shows their ambition for this season!
    They never were "in the hunt". It was more of an attempt by agents to drum up demand for the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

They never were "in the hunt". It was more of an attempt by agents to drum up demand for the player.

I doubt this. the interest was very real imo, I think Frank had his heart set on Ronaldinho because it would do wonders for the City brand. bit like Beckham's move to Madrid, it would have opened up a helluva lot a of markets to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Would have been the coo of the century had they got him.
    He is still one of the top players in the world but im sure they will try and sign some
    other big name instead, watch this space/thread as it were.
    Things could get interesting!

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Of course we were in the hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

"Manchester City are turning to feng shui in a bid to help them become successful on the pitch. Magic crystals have been buried under the Eastlands turf and reception areas, offices and the club shop have been filled with lucky fortune trees, three-legged monkey toads and buddhas. (Daily Mirror)"

:D desperate times at Eastlands :)

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3855284,00.html
    DUNNE REMAINS CITY CAPTAIN

New boss Mark Hughes has confirmed Richard Dunne will retain the captain's armband at Manchester City this season.

It appeared Dunne would be leaving Eastlands during the summer, having stalled over contract talks amid the rancour which accompanied Sven-Goran Eriksson's dismissal.

But the appointment of Hughes helped placate the Irishman, who subsequently signed a new deal, and with battles to be won on the domestic and European fronts, the Blues chief can see no reason to alter Dunne's position as leader.

"It was important for me to understand Richard's position when I arrived here and get it resolved and now everyone is happy," Hughes told the Manchester Evening News.

"He fulfils the captain's role very well and will continue to do so.

"I have been delighted with the response Richard has made since he signed. He has been part of this squad for a long time and it was important we made sure he would continue to be a big part of things.

"His strength and pace at the back will be one of the keys to the way we play this year."

Dunne will miss the opening two games of the season - at Aston Villa and the opening home encounter with West Ham on August 24 - due to his dismissal at Middlesbrough on the final day of last season.

The Irishman is not the only City player sidelines as, along with Jo's presence at the Olympics with Brazil, Benjani is also facing an extended spell on the sidelines after suffering a major thigh injury in training.

"He was just taking a shot on goal during training and unfortunately damaged his thigh muscle quite high up and quite badly," said Hughes.

"The medical staff feel it will be well into the league season before he is back."

Best decision Sparky's made since he took over. Bit of a no brainer really though.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1060011_corradi_reggina_bound
    Corradi Reggina bound

Chris Bailey
    28/ 7/2008

ITALIAN striker Bernardo Corradi is heading out of Eastlands having been released from the final year of his contract to join Reggina in his homeland.

Corradi becomes the fourth striker to leave this summer following the sale of Georgios Samaras to Celtic and the release of Emile Mpenza and Paul Dickov.

Meanwhile, England Under 21 midfielder Michael Johnson should return for this week's UEFA Cup tie against EB/Streymur after missing the trip to Hamburg with a bruised foot.

Thank fucking Christ!

Now if only we could release Danny Mills from the final 17 years of his contract.....

From the official site -
    Tal Ben Haim joins from Chelsea

Manchester City have today confirmed the signing of Israeli international defender Tal Ben Haim from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee and subject to a work permit.

The 26-year-old former Bolton man has penned a four-year contract and becomes Mark Hughes second signing as City Manager.

Ben Haim becomes the second Israeli player to join the Club following in the footsteps of City legend Eyal Berkovic.

First interview with the club -
    Tal Ben Haim today joined the Blues from Chelsea and just minutes after putting pen to paper on his Manchester City contract, the defender gave his reaction exclusively to mcfc.co.uk...

mcfc.co.uk: Welcome to Manchester City, what does it mean for you to sign for the Club?
    Tal Ben Haim: I think it’s a very good Club and a famous Club with a lot of ambition. I want to win things with this Club and I know for many years that hasn’t happened. It’ll be hard and it takes time to build something.

mcfc: How important was the Manager in your decision to join Manchester City?
    TBH: It was very important because I know Mark Hughes matches my ambition. As a player he won nearly everything and of course he wants to do the same as a Manager. He has ambition, the passion and the desire to do that and it matches my ambition because I am like that as well. I want to help City to be a better Club and to win something.

mcfc: We’re you aware of the speculation in the papers and how did you feel about being linked to a move here?
    TBH: I was excited. I spoke with my agent and even though we had some better offers I preferred to come here because I think it’s a good Club with a lot of ambition. As I’ve said, we want to do better things here than over the last few years.

mcfc: So you had other Clubs interested in signing you?
    TBH: Yes, there were a few other clubs, but after I spoke with the staff here and my family I think it’s the right Club to try and build something new.

mcfc: Without naming names, were all the clubs English?
    TBH: No, there were some from abroad as well, but I preferred to stay in England.

mcfc: Can you give us your first impressions of returning to the north west and the Club?
    TBH: I know the city well because I used to live here for three years when I was with Bolton. So I know that the weather is cold but the people are very warm – so it’s good for me because it’s like coming back home.

mcfc: And what about the City fans, do you have a message for them?
    TBH: The fans I know are incredible. The support they give to the players makes a very good atmosphere and they deserve to win titles after many years without. But it takes time to build something and the Manager wants to build something good here and I’m proud to be here.

mcfc: Just finally, what are the qualities the fans will expect to see from you as a player here?
    TBH: Well, I don’t like to speak about myself too much, but I’m definitely going to give my best to City and give my heart in every game. I hope that we can do good things this season. I’m looking forward to starting the season here.

Very happy with that signing. Only 26, good defender, and experienced in the Prem. Good work all round.

Now to sort out a right winger.......

Any idea how much in the end? Rumoured to be 4.5 I think. Good business if it was for that...

it is good business id wish villa did that althought Kaboul (prob will sign for P.smouth) and he as former France U-21 captain would be agreat back up CB IMO and a futre CB (when Laursen goes bye bye) for Villa

Haven't heard anything more than rumours on the fee so far but if it is in or around that figure then it's even better. Really happy with the signing.

think he will sing tho i wonder will he happen with being sub ? cos micha/dunne aint gunna be sub

• Advertisement

Well we have 6 defenders now to choose from really:

Dunne
    Richards
    Corluka
    Ball
    Onouha
    Ben Haim

Dunne is suspended for the first day of the season, Ball is guaranteed to play at left back, and Onouha will be a bit part player.

First game of the season I can see -

Corluka----Richards----Ben Haim----Ball

There's also talk of Corluka shifting in to midfield with Richards at right back and Dunne in the middle with Ben Haim.

Nice problems to have!!!

yes but excluding when he is a sub... i know he has signed will he be happy to be a sub? or will Corlucka/Richards plY EVERY GAME OTHERWISE EITHER PLAYER COULD BE rb AND tAL COULD BE rcb

EDIT: sorry for the caps im drinking

BH, have you had a few beers?!?:)

/edit, thought so!

oh yeahh!!

point still stands

Lulz

yes Xavi altough Richards, Dunne and Tal Ben Haim are hardley going to play every game tbh so what going to happen?

• Advertisement

Well that's a decision for Sparky.

Look what happened last year - Elano was playing right back! That can't happen again which is why we need a squad not just a first eleven.

well yeah i might be drunk but just like Villa Man city have to get a LB (Tawio like Sunderland) cos IMO that is one position Sparky needs?, tho Tal Ben Haim is a good signing for man city and one id prefer Villa to have as backup but im surprise he wants to be backup at a small club

sorry i called city a small club club

If we're small then what does that make Villa?! I'll forgive you this one though.

We don't know yet if he's gonna be a back up. Time will tell.

And yeah we definitely do need a left back.

trust me i unerstand you (like isaid ive drank too much but) i wish we/Villa were in Villa's positon but we are a season ahead but signing wise we aint and Villa wouldnet be able to keep Tal Ben Haim on the bench hense we are seemingly aftet Kaboul (who could turn out to be class...long term) but as of now im curious whether Ben Haim will be happy to be a sub, im worried about Citeh(and Porthsmouth and eveton etc passing Villa) but of right now i expect as of right now him to be back up to Dunne and Micah so that this seasons injuries do not repeated themselves.

Call it a night BH, you're struggling there I think!

• Advertisement

Beat AC Milan 1-0 today with a cracker from the Boj -

However, Boj, Micah and Vas all went off injured, while Petrov missed out altogether. He's crocked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Cracking goal alright. How serious was Bojinov's injury? I put him in my FF team, bit of a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Have him in mine too. He's a cracking player, but I wonder if when Jo gets back will Hughes start the two of them up top.

I honestly the Boj could be a real star this year. He's only 22 and he's a monster. Power, pace and an eye for goal. I really think himself and Jo could hit it off and get on the end of the supply from Petrov and Elano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Could be mentioned elsewhere, few stories from todays papers.
    Arsenal are ready to make an £8m move for Michael Johnson after the young central midfielder rejected a new deal at Manchester City. (Sunday Express)

There's more turmoil at Manchester City... the club's hierarchy have agreed the sale of midfielder Stephen Ireland to Sunderland without telling Mark Hughes. (Mail on Sunday)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1063057_silvestre_set_for_city
    Silvestre set for City
    Chris Bailey
    18/ 8/2008

UNITED'S Mikael Silvestre looks as though he is on his way to Eastlands, but the Blues' hopes of signing Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz are fading fast.

Rumours linking Silvestre with a switch across town have been confirmed.

The 31-year-old left-sided French defender, whose recent career has been blighted by injury, has spent nine years with the Reds and is said to be available for a knockdown £750,000.

It is likely Blues boss Mark Hughes will use him as a left back.

Meanwhile, it appears a new deal is being worked out for Blackburn to keep Santa Cruz.

Agents working for the Paraguayan are expecting the imminent offer of a pay rise for their client.

If the 27-year-old agrees terms, then it would end once and for all the Blues pursuit of the prolific striker and leave Hughes seeking an alternative target.

The City chief's need for a hitman grew ever more pressing last night when it was confirmed that Valeri Bojinov will be out for six months after rupturing his right Achilles in the warm-up prior to yesterday's 4-2 defeat at Aston Villa.

He joins an ever-growing casualty and absentee list that includes Darius Vassell, Jo, and Benjani, but Hughes is not over-confident of adding to a stable of strikers down to the bare bones of Daniel Sturridge, Ched Evans, Felipe Caicedo and Rolando Bianchi.

"We hope to do something but time is pressing and we might have to go with what we have got," he admitted.

City tabled a bid of around £12m for Santa Cruz last week, an offer that more than irritated the Ewood hierarchy, who had already waved goodbye to star men David Bentley and Brad Friedel.

That attempt to splash the cash came amidst Thaksin Shinawatra's continued attempts to attract new investment and share the financial burden of running the club and after the Blues secured a loan of £25m from Standard Bank plc which has been taken out to ease cash flow problems and is set against future television money.

The cash was loaned back in July and is common practise in football with more than half the Premier League taking out similar amounts to tide them over a three month period when there is little or no income.

Even so, Rovers have not been tempted with boss Paul Ince making it clear they don't want to sell Santa Cruz who began the new season in impressive form on Saturday, scoring in the 3-2 win over Everton and making the last minute winner after his header hit a post.

"Blackburn were clearly not impressed with City's approach for the player and are planning to put a new deal in front of Roque before the transfer window closes," confirmed an advisor to the striker.

Although all clubs engage in some posturing as the transfer deadline looms, it seems Rovers will hang on to a player who has also been linked with Aston Villa and United this summer.

City may well yet test their resolve one more time with an improved bid, but it would take something well over the odds for Rovers to accept it.

Feck it, I'll take him for that price. Can't be any worse than Garrido or Ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

750k is madness, considering he is decent cover for both centre back and left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Silvestre will be good for a few goals for you, in the against column ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can't see it happening considering Uniteds weakness in the LB position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

This was sent to me by a City fan, hope the rest of you have a similar sense of humour

http://www.northwestblues.co.uk/MassiveShop.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement