Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah saw it the other day. It did get a smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

City have signed Vincent Kompany according to SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Yes, Hamburg have confirmed this on their own website.

He had a lot of trouble in Hamburg lately, and they got fed up with it. He was injured the complete first season with Hamburg, and last season he got 2 silly red cards, and he didn't really play to his full potential. I think the final bioling point was his participation in the Olympics now. They (Player, Club and Belgium FA) had an agreement that he would return after the second game, but then he suddenly refused.

According to sources in Germany Man City paid 11.5 mil Euro for him. Hamburg paid around 9 mil. 2 years ago.

:eek: This better not be a wind up!!!

/Runs off to club site

http://www.hsv.de/index.php?id=24174

Fee is appearantly 15 mil. Euro, and not 11.5 mil. Euro ...

We haven't confirmed anything yet.

If it is true then that means someone (a defender) is on their way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Corluka?

----

Whats up with Elano's transfer? Donesk want more money again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

would have to think a defender (Corluka?) is off as Kompany is a quality CB (although admitidly most of my exp of him is via FM Manager where he is world class) and they have already signed Ben-Haim aswell as getting their captain Dunne to extend his contract.

Good signing though, still extremley young aswell

Just been reading up on Kompany and he played most of last season as a defensive modfielder. Might mean no one is going. We certainly need some steel in the middle of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

City have been reported to FIFA by Shaktar Donetsk for not paying for Elano.
    Manchester City have been reported to FIFA by Shakhtar Donetsk, who claim they are still owed money from the transfer of Brazilian playmaker Elano to Eastlands last summer. FIFA confirmed last night that they are investigating a claim by the Ukrainian champions that City owe them £475,000 (600,000 euros). The money is a 'solidarity payment' on European transfers. It usually equates to five per cent of the total sum - in this case £9.5m - and is distributed between clubs that played a part in the youth development of the player. Donetsk claim City have withheld the money and the case will now be heard by FIFA. A spokesman for the world governing body said: 'We can confirm Donetsk have lodged a claim with FIFA regarding this matter. As the relevant procedure will start in due course, we can't provide further comments for the time being.'

With City's chairman and owner Thaksin Shinawatra having problems financing the Barclays Premier League club, this latest development is another damaging blow. Last night City were not able to comment officially but sources claimed Donetsk's complaint is unusual, given that it is normally the selling club who are responsible for making solidarity payments. It is also understood City are six days late on the second of three regular payments to Donetsk for Elano. City have staggered payments over three years on the eight players bought by Sven Goran Eriksson last summer. Reports in Ukraine suggest City are behind with this summer's cash but have told Donetsk the instalment-about £3.1m (84m)-will be paid in the next couple of days, an explanation the Ukrainians have accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BBC wrote:
    Man City complete Kompany switch

Manchester City have signed Belgium international defender Vincent Kompany from Hamburg for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old defender, who has played 23 times for his country, began his career at Belgian club Anderlecht.

Kompany, who has signed a four-year contract, is regarded as one of the brightest central defenders in the European game.

He is the third signing for City boss Mark Hughes following the arrival of striker Jo and defender Tal Ben Haim.

606: DEBATE
    Where does Kompany fit into Man City's team?

Jo arrived from CSKA Moscow at a cost of £18m, while Ben Haim came from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

Kompany has only recently returned to Hamburg from the Beijing Olympics, having been involved in a club-versus-country row.

The defender had been scheduled to play two Olympic group games for his country before flying back to Germany.

He was sent off in the 1-0 defeat by Brazil and was suspended for the next game against China.

Hamburg then threatened the Belgian Football Association with legal action after Kompany initially refused to fly home.

Belgium eventually lost 4-1 to Nigeria in the semi-finals to miss out on a showdown with defending Olympic champions Argentina in the final.

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

Video - Nigeria 4-1 Belgium

Hughes has struggled in recent weeks to add to his squad because of the off-field uncertainty at the club.

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra is facing corruption charges in his native Thailand and recently fled to Britain.

He has repeatedly denied the allegations, which he says are an attempt to remove him from politics.

jammy bastards. that's a very good signing there.

Fantastic news!

First interview with Vincent from the club site -

img_502_11866_9470.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=150&hei=150&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg
    Shortly after Belgian international Vincent Kompany had completed his transfer from Hamburg SV, mcfc.co.uk and MCFCTV.com took the 22-year-old pitchside at the City of Manchester Stadium for his first official interview...

MCFC: Vincent, welcome to Manchester City, how does it feel to join the Club and come to the English Premier League?
    Vincent Kompany: “It’s a great feeling and I’m very happy about it. I’m just looking forward to being on the pitch and being there with the team.

MCFC: I know you’ve just arrived here but what are your first impressions of Manchester City and this Stadium?
    VK: “It’s a great Stadium and the pitch looks really good. Something big should take place in this Stadium and I just hope that I will be a part of it. I’m looking forward to this experience and I really want to put myself into this Club.”

MCFC: So have you had the chance to meet the Manager and speak to him about his vision for the Club and yourself?
    VK: “Yes of course. The most important thing for me before I came to the Premier League was that I knew that the coach really wanted me. Once they had sorted everything between the clubs then I met the coach. You can never judge a person too soon but my first impressions were that I loved the dynamic, I love the confidence you feel from him [Hughes] and the ambitious type of character that he is will make you a better player.”

MCFC: You can play in a couple of positions what has Mark Hughes told you about your role here for City?
    VK: “I’ve been told that I’m going as a defensive midfielder. I like this position a lot so I’m happy with that. I can play as a central defender as well and if the job needs to be done there then I can do that as well as anyone else and still bring something to the team. It’s up to the Manager.”

MCFC: Is it true that before you left Anderlecht for Hamburg some English Premier League clubs wanted to sign you?
    VK: “Yes, I’ve had many chances to come to England, but life or destiny decided that I would come here now. I’m actually quite happy that I’m coming to City now because I think it is the right club at the right moment.”

MCFC: Is the prospect of adapting to life in the Premier League something you are looking forward to?
    VK: “Yes definitely. I know already that I like the English mentality, the English way of playing and living, so I hope and I think that it won’t be a very difficult adaptation.”

MCFC: You’ve been linked with other clubs in the past but not City before, this seemed to come out of the blue, was it the same for you?
    VK: “There’s always a lot of speculation and talking, but in the end it went very fast with City, there was no long talking. They came, we discussed it and I was very impressed by the ambition of the Club and by the way it is moving forward and we quickly came to an agreement.”

MCFC: Did it surprise you how quickly it happened?
    VK: “No, most of the time when you talk too long about something it never happens in football. When things happen, then they happen quickly, that’s why the speculation in the press doesn’t often turn out to be right.”

MCFC: City played Hamburg during pre-season, did you do your homework on the team, do you know of any of the players?
    VK: “I know much about the Premier League in general, but I couldn’t make a guess at the level of the team, but I just know there is ambition. The future of the Club is what it is all about and I’m sure we have a good team, but I’m sure we are going to have an even better team in the coming months and years.”

MCFC: Vincent, you're still only 22, but already have vast experience of Champions League and UEFA Cup football, international football and playing at the Olympics, is that experience something you’ll look to add to the team?
    VK: “I do have a lot of experience and if it can help then of course but at first it helps myself because I have no impression here in the Premier League. I’ve been through all this experience and if it can help then I’ll be happy to.”

MCFC: After two years in Germany was now the right time to leave the Bundesliga behind?
    VK: “The Bundesliga is a great championship, very attractive and you learn a lot, and a lot of discipline. It’s a good school if you like. All I was thinking about, even when I was in Belgium or the Bundesliga was about the Premier League, and now I’ve decided that it was time.”

MCFC: How confident are you about forcing your way into the first team and becoming a success in English football?
    VK: “Yes definitely. I wouldn’t have come here otherwise. You never know how it’s going to be in the first week, first month, but I’m someone who likes to learn a lot and work hard to improve. So no matter what happens I’ll be improving all the time and increasing my level. I’m looking forward to it, I’m very happy now.”

MCFC: Do you think you could be involved in Sunday’s game against West Ham?
    VK: “That’s what I hope. Everything has been in a rush but also because there is a game coming up. I expect and I hope that I will there ready and even if we talk about adaptation, I don’t care, I hope that the motivation and the will to win will be enough to be here and performing on Sunday.

MCFC: And finally, what are the qualities the fans will expect to see from you as a player here?
    VK: “I’m known as someone who wins a lot of duals (tackles) and has good ball recovering. I’m able to play nice football, but I would never, ‘this’ is my biggest quality because you need to be strong at ball recovery, you need to tackle and you need to have tactical intelligence. I can play football and I’ve be praised for this as well but in the end everything has got to be proved again and I’m up for that.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

well he rules in PES, and that's always a good marker!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Good signing for City. I'm suprised some of the "Big 4" weren't in for him , especially Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

How do you reckon he fits into the City first 11, Xavi? Move Richards to RB to make room for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

SofaK wrote: »
    How do you reckon he fits into the City first 11, Xavi? Move Richards to RB to make room for him?

He'll be primarily a DM according to his interview above.

My feeling is that he has been brought in as a direct replacement for Didi who just doesn't have the legs anymore. He's versatile which is a great thing but he will be primarily used in that midfield holdong role.

From the Daily Mail (BBC also carrying the story) -
    Thaskin Shinawatra is preparing to stand down from the board of Manchester City under pressure from the Premier League's 'fit and proper person' test.

City confirmed on Friday night that financially-stricken Thaksin is currently trying to sell part of his stake in the club as he looks for funds to bolster the efforts of manager Mark Hughes in the transfer market.

In an extraordinary interview, City executive chairman Garr Cook admitted that the controversial Thai politician is 'embarrassed' about the controversy he has attracted and is preparing to step down as the Barclays Premier League continue to examine whether he meets their guidelines for ownership.

Cook said: 'Dr Thaksin has been really open about this. He has said to me: "If you need me to resign from the football club as a director then I'm fine with that as long as that doesn't change any other thing."

'This is one of the reasons why we would look to maybe take him off the board as a director. We're talking about a lot of different things right now.'

Cook met Premier League chairman Sir David Richards this week and is fully aware that - with Thaksin currently on the run from court charges in Thailand - the English game is concerned about the harm the City owner may be doing to its reputation.

It is known that several other Premier League chairmen do not believe Thaksin should be allowed to continue to head up City while League chief executive Richard Scudamore also has grave misgivings.

League rules state that any individual found guilty of corruption charges cannot sit on a club board and also has to transfer part of his stake to another individual.

Cook added: 'I think there is a very loose term about what is "fit and proper." It is almost a tongue-incheek term that you would use for Premier League football over the last 10 years.

'There are plenty of unfit and improper individuals. 'But what I want to do with Sir David is make sure that we get it cleared up. We are restructuring the board.

'We have talked about selling part of his stake to an equity partner who would come in and take a little bit of the pressure away from him so that the Premier League would get more comfort out of it.

'Dr Thaksin is embarrassed about the indignity brought on all the entities - the club, the Premier League. He never intended this. 'We've talked about so many different options. But one thing we are adamant about is not to give up the majority stake-holding.'

With Thaksin's £800m fortune frozen in Thailand, City have finally admitted the former Thai prime minister is not able to bankroll the club as he originally promised.

A recen t£30m bank loan-secured against future TV and ticket revenue - has eased the pressure on a club that has had to borrow millions from former owner John Wardle to ease cash flow problems.

But Cook admitted last night that it now needs an injection of fresh capital from a new investor if manager Hughes is to add to his squad in the transfer window.

Cook said: 'It will be resolved in the next 10 days. It might not be the selling of a stake it might just be … well, we have got five or six different options.

'The reason we want to do that is because we are in the transfer window with 11 days left and we need three or four players. It will help us improve Mark's squad.'

Thaksin is living in London but has been advised by security experts not to come to City home games, starting with West Ham on Sunday.

Hold on to your hats folks, the next week is gonna be interesting to say the least!!!

Bianchi apparently gone to Torino on a five year deal. Good riddance.

• Advertisement

Manchester City hoping to persuade Wright-Phillips to leave London behind

By Ian Ladyman

Last updated at 11:27 PM on 25th August 2008

Manchester City are trying to persuade Shaun Wright-Phillips to give up on life in London after lodging a £10m bid with Chelsea for the former Eastlands hero.

It is understood that Chelsea have told City that they are willing to do business over Wright-Phillips and the Manchester club have now edged ahead of Portsmouth and Everton in the race to sign the England international.

But City manager Mark Hughes is having a hard time trying to convince Wright-Phillips to return to the club he left for Chelsea in a £22m deal just three seasons ago.

Wright-Phillips has always had a fondness for the club that made him in to a star and remains close to City players such as defenders Micah Richards and Nedum Onuoha.

However, he has previously indicated that he was not sure about returning when City asked about a loan move last season and it is understood that he still has reservations about leaving a new life in London and returning to the north-west.

Hughes remains confident that he can lure the 27-year-old with the promise of first team football and the chance to get back in to the England picture.

The City manager desperately needs some genuine pace down the right hand side of his midfield and thinks that Wright-Phillips can find the form that seems to have deserted him during his Chelsea days and return to prominence.

Wright-Phillips was a huge favourite during his time at City, where he flourished under Kevin Keegan and Stuart Pearce.

Since he left the club his form has largely deserted him and it would appear that new Chelsea manager Luis Felipe Scolari is happy to let him go.

Everton manager David Moyes is keen on Wright-Phillips but is concerned about recruiting another small player while Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is struggling to find the money to fund the deal.

City are believed to be close to securing investment from the Middle East to fund Hughes in the transfer market and have also moved out two players over the weekend.

Mexican Nery Castillo has left and is believed to be joining Real Betis while Italian striker Rolando Bianchi has joined Torino in his home country.

A lot of City fans are creaming themselves at the possibility of this happening. I'm not.

I'm a firm believer in never going back. I would hate him to flop and tarnish all the great memories we have of him. Having said that, I won't be protesting if he does sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

A lot of Craig Bellamy mumblings this morning.

I was hoping nobody would mention it.

It might just dissapear and we can start thinking about Milito and SWP. Bellamy could have kept Bojinov kompany in the treatment room though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

SWP would be a great addition for you's, having him and Petrov on the wings would be promising, Kompany looks a great addition also, although for some reason I can't see Jo living up to his price tag, I think he may flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Bellamy could have kept Bojinov kompany in the treatment room though.

I see what you did there ;)

Bellamy would be a pretty pointless signing. Maybe Hughes wants short-term cover for Bojinov, but when everyone is fit you've got Bojinov, Benjani, Vassel, Jo and Sturridge.

Bojinov, Benjani, Vassel, Jo and Sturridge.

And possibly the "real" Ronaldo!

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=833971

The Bellamy thing has to be bollox. Hughes managed him at Blackburn, West Ham have to sell players so it's a serious case of 2+2=5.

At least I hope so anyway.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Bellamy thing has to be bollox. Hughes managed him at Blackburn, West Ham have to sell players so it's a serious case of 2+2=5.

You would have to think so. I doesn't really stack up. I'd be happy to see Shauney Wright back at the club though, as Smegball mentioned it would give balance to the wings. From a commercial p.o.v. it might shift a few thousand season tickets as well.

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    You would have to think so. I doesn't really stack up. I'd be happy to see Shauney Wright back at the club though, as Smegball mentioned it would give balance to the wings. From a commercial p.o.v. it might shift a few thousand season tickets as well.

Lord knows we need to. 36,000 for the first home game of the season was a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Does what you say here not suggest that it IS a possibility!!???

Big transfer news today.

Apparently SWP has completed/will complete a medical and sign for us in the next day or so. He's in Manchester at the mo.

Also -
    Thiago Neves’ agent has revealed to setantasports.com that the forward has been approached by Manchester City and could seal a move to Eastlands by Monday.

The 23-year-old, who won the bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics, has impressed many scouts and has been tipped to secure a move to Europe this summer.

Neves, currently plying his trade at Brazilian side Fluminense, has been contacted by three clubs willing to secure his services – City, Atletico Madrid and Hamburg.

His representative Leo Rabello has revealed the Brazilian would be thrilled to join Mark Hughes’ City this summer.

“Atletico Madrid, Hamburg and Manchester City are highly interested in Thiago,” Rabello told setantasports.com.

“He is very interested in playing in England; going there would be a massive opportunity for his career.

“There has been an official approach from City and we are now waiting for them to make a move.

“We hope they will do so before the transfer market is closed.”

:eek: I think I just had an accident in my pants.......

According to Hamburg Thiago Neves has signed a 5 year deal last night for Hamburg, just waiting on medical now to finalize everything. Their Manager is currently in Brazil and has already signed Alex Silva on a 5 year deal.

Have you a link for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Didnt SWPs agent say yesterday that he would have no interest in going to City or Everton?

seen that, strange, Sky were yesterday carring the quotes from the agent, but cant find em on their site now.

here they are though;
    "He doesn't want to join either [Manchester City or Everton] and we are now discussing the next move to see what we do," said Linsdsay. "Because of all the problems there [City] and the uncertainty surrounding the place he is unsure.

"He is speaking with the manager [Scolari] at the moment but he is settled in London. He would like to stay and that's the bottom line but it is up to the manager. We are looking at all the options really at this moment in time so I can't really say much more."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didnt SWPs agent say yesterday that he would have no interest in going to City or Everton?
    Yeah I remember reading that too. He really needs to get out of Chelsea though and Man City would be a good move for him. Petrov and SWP on the wings sounds very promising. It wiil be interesting to see if big money signing Jo can finish all the crosses he is bound to be getting.

Confusing to say the least, though a couple of clued in fans on the City forums are sure SWP's in Manchester.

• Advertisement

football is a mental aul game.

if we have 10m knocking about we should go in for him.

Thought you were wasting that on Riera! :p

Have you a link for that?

You read german? The whole german media is carrying the story this morning, even the ones that are usually only reporting fixed deals. The President of Hamburg even said in an Interview last night (on www.hsv.de) that all is done and dusted, and that he is expected to arrive in Hamburg tomorrow...

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/bundesliga/vereine/hsv/2008/08/28/marcell-jansen/wechselt-fuer-acht-millionen-nach-hamburg.html

http://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/article2361248/Marcell-Jansen-wechselt-vom-FC-Bayern-zum-HSV.html

As soon as I find a english link I will post it.

BTW... it seems the reason tha ManCity didn't get him was due to anticipated problems with the work permit, as he doesn't have the necessary caps yet.

Thought you were wasting that on Riera! :p

Riera on the left, SWP on the right!

a team of City cast offs! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ronaldo to City can only be welcomed by Manchesters tranvestite hookers and chipper vans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/2630546/Manchester-City-weigh-up-Ronaldo-move---Football.html

Manchester City weigh-up Ronaldo move

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani openly discussed the possibility of his former player joining City on Italian television station, Sky Sports Italia.
    "Ronaldo to Manchester City? It's all true. A very good friend of mine who is a Brazilian football expert confirmed it to me," he said.

City executive chairman, Garry Cook revealed last week that he hopes to sign a 'superstar' in their effort to build the club as a global brand.
    He said: "I've got to change the culture here. Today you can grow quicker than it took Manchester United. We just need a superstar.
    "We are a global franchise entity. We told [manager] Mark Hughes not to come here if he thought we didn't need a superstar."
    Ronaldo is currently recovering from a serious knee injury which threatened to bring his illustrious career to an end.
    It is understood that City, who missed out the signing of compatriot Ronaldinho to Milan earlier this summer, have held informal discussions with Ronaldo. But the 31-year-old has been told to first prove his fitness amid concerns over his weight.
    Recent pictures showed the striker's waistline had fluctuated somewhat, following the previous controversy involving the player in a transvestite saga, where it was alleged he entertained three transsexuals at a Rio de Janeiro motel in April.

From the BBC -
    And City could make a move for Brazil striker Ronaldo, who is currently without a club after being released by Italian giants AC Milan. Boss Mark Hughes is also eyeing Espanyol's £5m-rated right-back Pablo Zabaleta, as well as Sunderland's Michael Ball. (Daily Mail)

If ever a rolleyes was required..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Xavi, the Guardian ran with a piece yesterday that said Wardle has provided 3 loans of £2m each in the last year to City to meet cashflow problems (all repaid, the most recent was 2 days after the loan was made) and that the £25m loan recently raised (and presumably financing the recent transfers) is secured on this and next year's PL TV money.

Going back to what I said a few weeks ago, if City don't find an investor soon then is it a case of simply delaying the inevitable? If the only solution to cash flow problems is to mortgage future income streams then you're looking at a similar situation to Leeds and pre-Ashley Newcastle. IMHO.

You really can't afford to lose in Denmark tonight.

It is true that Wardle is giving us money. He's a diehard City fan and will do everything in his power to help the club. With his backing there should be no problems with the club's future.

I think the difference between us and Leeds is that we are spending money we KNOw we'll earn i.e. tv revenue, whereas Leeds gambled on potential earnings in the Champions League that never materialised.

signed SWP according to SSN, players and their agents are all idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

WRITESPALSH_01.gif

:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement