Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One can only reckon SWP wishes he'd never left. Chelsea is a vortex of underachivement.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6616961
    Exclusive: Wright-Phillips returns home

Manchester City can exclusively reveal that Shaun Wright-Phillips has rejoined the Club.

The fans’ favourite agreed personal terms after completing a medical this morning and joins on a four-year contract following an undisclosed deal being reached with Chelsea.

Shaun is back at the Club after moving to Stamford Bridge just over three years ago and on his return today he told mcfc.co.uk: "Obviously I'm delighted to come back to City and I just can't wait to get started again."

Manager Mark Hughes added of his exciting signing: "I've always admired him and he's certainly been a target of mine since I came to the football club.

"To actually secure the deal and bring Shaun back home is a fantastic coup for us and I'm sure the supporters will be just as excited as we are to have him back at Manchester City."

We'll have more quotes from Wright-Phillips later and it is expected that Shaun will be presented to the media at a press conference at the City of Manchester Stadium tomorrow.

Time to dig out that old home shirt with 'Wright-Phillips 29' on the back!!!

Shauny has returned home! Get in there!

I wonder if you made a profit? ;)

Mike

Well the fee is rumoured to be between nine and ten million so happy days.

mike65 wrote: »
    One can only reckon SWP wishes he'd never left. Chelsea is a vortex of underachivement.

Mike.

For some ! Not all.

What a day!

The prodigal comes home and we win our first shootout since the playoffs in 99! Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Were any of the new lads playing? If yes, how did they play?

Well SWP only signed this morning so he wasn't.

Kompany is ineligible til the next round.

Ben Haim was subbed in a tactical switch.

Jo was absolutely **** and got taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It is true that Wardle is giving us money. He's a diehard City fan and will do everything in his power to help the club. With his backing there should be no problems with the club's future.

I think the difference between us and Leeds is that we are spending money we KNOw we'll earn i.e. tv revenue, whereas Leeds gambled on potential earnings in the Champions League that never materialised.

Leeds was probably an extreme comparison, but Newcastle is very appropriate. I think the sight of Freddie Shepard thanking Chelsea for dropping their asking price for Duff in a press conference told it's own tale of just how messed up their finances were before Ashley rode in.

While I don't doubt Wardle's support for the club, it has to be a worry that on three occasions in the last year you haven't had the cash to meet your commitments, and that only his short-term loans have tided you over. Cook has as good as confirmed that Shinawatra is not funding day-to-day activities at the club, so you're relying on income streams plus your ability to raise finance to keep the club running. Empty seats at the COM won't help.

Borrowing on the strength of this year's TV money makes sense, on the strength of next year's is a bit risky. You'll still have next year's installments on Elano, Jo and co to pay, and unless Frank attracts a buyer or you increase your income significantly, how do you pay those bills? You need Euro qualification next year at a minimum if you're to maintain the current squad and allow Hughes spend every summer.

It's also worth noting the % rate on your loans will be much higher given the current credit crunch.

The penalty win tonight will have helped, get through to the group stages and you should be up £3m or so on gate receipts and TV money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Leeds was probably an extreme comparison, but Newcastle is very appropriate. I think the sight of Freddie Shepard thanking Chelsea for dropping their asking price for Duff in a press conference told it's own tale of just how messed up their finances were before Ashley rode in.

If the financial running of your club is ever compared to that Fat Thief, than you know things are looking gloomy.

As unhappy many of us are with certain aspects of Ashley's regime, he was a savior in many ways for the mess he bailed us out of. Few really appreciate just how bad things were, and I think Citeh fans need to take notice of this, as guys like Ashley and Wardle are a rare commodity. If the authorites have clamped down on anything over the last number of years, it's teams that have over-extended themselves. If Citeh were ever to face such sanctions, then things could really be up sh/t creek.

• Advertisement

Early morning news from Spain suggests we are gonna sign Zabaleta from Espanyol for 8 million euros. Still to be confirmed though.

Edit - Tis on the Beeb now too -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7587476.stm
    Zabaleta set to sign for Man City

Zabaleta won a gold medal in Beijing
    Manchester City are on the verge of signing Argentine international Pablo Zabaleta for £6.45m.

A statement on the Espanyol website claims they wanted to keep the player but that City matched the buy-out clause in the 23-year-old's contract.

The right-sided midfielder is set to have his medical with City on Friday and will sign before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

Zabaleta was a member of the Argentine team that won gold at the Olympics.

He has been named in the Argentine squad ahead of their World Cup qualifiers against Paraguay and Peru and will join up with his national team on Sunday.

Zabaleta signed for Espanyol in 2005 from San Lorenzo and has been a regular in the Spanish side.

City have already boosted their squad this week by re-signing Shaun Wright-Phillips from Chelsea.

Bah I used all my good **** yesterday!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Early morning news from Spain suggests we are gonna sign Zabaleta from Espanyol for 8 million euros. Still to be confirmed though.

Edit - Tis on the Beeb now too -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7587476.stm

Bah I used all my good **** yesterday!!! :D

Is he any good, then?
    and
    Does this mean Charlie is on the way out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Impressive coup by Hughes to get SWP to return to City.

From www.mcfc.co.uk -
    Pablo Zabaleta signs for Manchester City
    31/08/2008 11:30

Manchester City FC can confirm that Argentinean defender Pablo Zabaleta has signed for the Club today from Espanyol for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old arrives from La Liga having put pen to paper on a five-year contract following the completion of a medical and agreeing personal terms.

Pablo comes to City fresh from winning a gold medal for his country at the Beijing Olympics just over a week ago and he has also been capped for the full international side during his career.

The transfer of Zabaleta makes it two big purchases for Mark Hughes within a few days following the return of Shaun Wright-Phillips on Thursday and the Manager told mcfc.co.uk: "We feel the addition of Pablo is another great signing for Manchester City.

"He's young and a winner, with an Olympic gold medal to prove that, but more so he will provide us with great balance in the side.

"I'm very happy to bring him here and hopefully we can get a good result at Sunderland to round off what has been a very satisfactory week indeed for us."

Pablo himself said of the move: "I am very happy to come here and play in the Premier League. Playing in England has been a lifelong dream which has finally come true by moving to City."

And of the Blues boss who helped him realise his dream, Zabaleta added: "I'd met him previously and was really impressed with him, but having talked to him about Manchester City I had to come here and be part of his plans.

"I'm very confident of helping the first team to achieve their goals for the season and after walking around the Stadium I can't wait to play in front of the City fans there. It is very impressive."

City sign Glauber Berti
    31/08/2008 13:16

Manchester City can confirm the signing of defender Gláuber Berti from FC Nuremburg.

The Brazilian 25-year-old moves to the Blues on a one-year deal after three years with the German outfit. Capped once by his country, Gláuber (full name Leandro Honorato Gláuber Berti)is a centre-back who also has Italian citizenship.

Gláuber’s arrival comes hot on the heels of the signing of Argentinean international and Olympic gold medal winner Pablo Zabaleta, and he is Mark Hughes’ sixth signing of the summer.

Can't say I know much about that Berti lad but Zabaleta is a quality signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

City have made some top signings this summer. Well done Mark Hughes (and his financial bakcing) - any more news on the Thaksin situation?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Will Elano be second choice to SWP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

When everyone's fit, then probably...

Hart
    Corluka - Richards - Dunne - Ball
    SWP - Kompany - Johnson - Petrov
    Elano

Jo

So S. Ireland dropped i suppose. Can't say i know much about Zabaleta - is he good enough to dislodge Corluka ... ?

Anyways, once Benjani, Vassell and Bojinov are back fit, then ManC have a seriously strong 22-man pool of players to pick from and have to be a shoe-in for a top 6 spot then. In the short-term, I reckon much will depend on strikers Sturridge and Jo staying fit / available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

BREAKING NEWS
    Your club has been taking over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Corluka -> Spurs, so Zabaleta to be first choice RB then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS
    Your club has been taking over!

All of your base are belong to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

ABU DHABI UNITED GROUP have buy the club,

Group have ties with Milan,

The group new man on board made a quick statement saying they wanted the club to move forward and break into the top 4 this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7591506.stm

Tottenham have signed Croatia defender Vedran Corluka from Manchester City for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old defender began his career at Dynamo Zagreb before joining City in 2007 where he made 41 appearances in all competitions.

Corluka, who has won 24 caps for Croatia, said: "I am delighted to be here because I am coming to a big club with great players, great ambition.

"Also my best friend [Luka Modric] is here so it is a very happy day for me."

Wow this is gonna be another big day for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

on that take over rumour. tis on the BBC site:
    1021: Not strictly related to the transfer of players, but there are strong reports suggesting that there has been a takeover at Man City, with the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment splashing the cash. No more Shinawatra, it seems.

interesting. although i fail to see how it could have been kept so quiet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hmm top 4 this season maybe a bit ambitious this season. Definitely should be aiming for it next year.

Does anyone else think the recent signings were dependent on this take-over?

• Advertisement

A-rabs have bought the club (lucky buggers)

Mike

on that take over rumour. tis on the BBC site:

interesting. although i fail to see how it could have been kept so quiet.

To be fair we've kept a lot of things quiet lately. The Kompany deal came out of nowhere amongst other things.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Looks like there's going to be huge money available at City. According to some guy from Arabianbusiness.com on Sky Sports they will be investing about 300 million in the next 3 months!

The Oil Barons face off!

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/529580-abu-dhabi-seals-deal-for-manchester-city?ln=en
    Premier League football club Manchester City has been taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ABUG), Arabian Business can reveal.

The deal was struck late on Sunday night between the club’s former owner Dr Thaksin Shinawatra, former Prime Minister of Thailand, and ADUG.

ADUG will be represented on the new board of Manchester City by Hydra Properties CEO Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim.

Al Fahim, who led negotiations, confirmed the deal had been struck on Monday. He told Arabian Business: “We will release details later, but this is a great event for both the club and Abu Dhabi.

"Our goal is very simple – to make Manchester City the biggest club in the Premier League, and to begin with, to finish in the top four this season.”

Al Fahim stressed that the Group will solve all the club problems and clear any pending payments, and will comprehensively support the club by bringing in some of the best football players in the world.

Manchester City’s future has been uncertain following legal problems faced in Thailand by Shinawatra, who will stay on as honorary president of the club without any administrative responsibilities.

It is understood that negotiations began three weeks ago, and were completed on Sunday night at Emirates Palace Hotel in Dubai.

The deal was signed in the presence of Al Fahim, a member of the Group board and the successful architect of the deal, Shinawatra and Dr Khalid Kadfour Al-Muhairy, the head of the Emirates Group for advocate and legal consultants.

After sealing the deal for one of England's best known and oldest clubs, ABUG hope it will reinforce Abu Dhabi's position as a capital of both sport and economics.

Al Fahim said: "We in Abu Dhabi United Company for Development and Investment are keen to develop ways to provide support and care for various sports activities to help build and develop a new generation of young State, which represents the real wealth and the future of this nation and the cornerstone for building the future of our civilisation.

"As embodied in our mission to open new horizons in all kinds of sports, it will enable them to enjoy healthy body and mind, thanks to the lessons we have learned from the wise leadership in Abu Dhabi."

He added: "We will adopt marketing plans that reflect positively on the club and the company from investments in all sectors of television marketing and purchasing of the stars players, as well as development of infrastructure facilities at the club."

The deal is a huge coup for Dr Al Fahim. Through Hyra Properties he is already involved in several sports sponsorship deals, and is building a new football academy in Abu Dhabi with Italian soccer giants Inter Milan.

Manchester City was founded in 1880 under the name of "Marx Sent" (St. Marks), which was changed to "Pedro" (Ardwick AFC) in 1887. The current name was taken on in 1894.

The club has won the English League Championship twice, the FA Cup four times, the League Cup twice and the European Cup Winners Cup once.

Oh. My. God. :eek: :D

Lucky bastids :D

Been a decent weekend to say the least for city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

"Our goal is very simple – to make Manchester City the biggest club in the Premier League, and to begin with, to finish in the top four this season.”

Hughes for the chop this season so.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Hughes for the chop this season so.

Yeah, yeah. You just keep an eye over your shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Great news for City, one of the good guys of the game, but hands off MO.

The one thing I would say is that someone would want to tell these chaps that top 4 this season is wholly unrealistic. After all the hype and excitement settles, I think some perspective needs to be placed on their short term ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal fan here in peace guys. You must be delighted with the takeover. Great for Hughes. Stability. SWP getting 2 on his re-debut. Looks very good for the blue half of Manchester. Incidentially Man City are the only club in Manchester, Utd are based in Salford (Greater Manchester)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

SSN: City table bid for Berbs in excess of £30 million

Incredible stuff. WOW!

Yeah, yeah. You just keep an eye over your shoulder.

are you planning on raping me or something? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are you planning on raping me or something? :confused:

Now Mr Alan know how Benitez and Torres feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm gutted that's it another club Liverpool have to compete with. If those yanks stay, we're gonna be left behind. But always had a soft spot for Man City and if they buy all these players and win leagues.....well, whatever annoys Utd is alright by me. I always hated Chelsea so was gutted to see them buy trophies....horrible, horrible club. But delighted for City. The season has taken on a whole new dimension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Never a dull moment at Eastlands eh :D

Hi,

I'm new here.
    My name is Alan and i'm a city fan.
    So happy we are getting Berba! maybe Villa too!?!? like OMG!!!! awesome.
    anyway we are definately gonna going to win the treble this year!eeeeeexxciting!

Later dudes,
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

It's mad, only a few weeks ago the club was in turmoil. Hughes rumoured to be going, Taksin's arrest warrant etc.

Now they've got back SWP and looking like Berbatov to join. Some turnaround........ I'd say Mark hughes went to his desk this morning and found a signed open cheque book.

C'mon DIC, get in there and save the reds. We love you Sheiks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Speaking as a Liverpool fan, that is some scary **** :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

city are idiots as if they could get villa

come on

no cl
    not a top 4 team

build up the team first and then get the world class players

im putting money on Mark Hughes to be fired first this season

that's a bit harsh. Sure Valencia aren't in Europe this season, are they?

that's a bit harsh. Sure Valencia aren't in Europe this season, are they?

but way bigger club than city

with better players

and villa said a while back that he's heart is in valencia

well by the looks of things City are going places. And Villa's sentimentality? Money talks.

well by the looks of things City are going places. And Villa's sentimentality? Money talks.
    if real madrid couldn'y get villa

as if city could

day dreaming

city are idiots as if they could get villa

come on

no cl
    not a top 4 team

build up the team first and then get the world class players

im putting money on Mark Hughes to be fired first this season

:rolleyes:

Seriously, if you've nothing sensible to say then kindly do one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Random comment about transfers and crazy day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement