Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Ahern says he would accept SF's support for minority government

Options
  • 08-01-2007 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

From today's Irish Times:
    Ahern says he would accept SF's support for minority government

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has said that he would accept Sinn Féin support for a minority Fianna Fáil government after the next general election, but that he would not agree any deal with them in return for votes. Mark Hennessy , Political Correspondent, reports.

"I don't think it would be reasonable for somebody to go in and say that you wouldn't take support from a party. We will not, in Fianna Fáil, enter into coalition discussions, or a pact with Sinn Féin," he said yesterday.

Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny last night accused Mr Ahern of making a "dramatic new shift", since the Fianna Fáil leader had said in November 2005 that he would lead his party to the Opposition benches rather than accept Sinn Féin support.

At that time, Mr Ahern, in a statement released to the Sunday Independent, and which did not address the possibility of Sinn Féin support without a pact, had said: "In such circumstances, I would lead my party into Opposition rather than contemplate coalition with Sinn Féin or an arrangement for their support in Government."

In his statement last night, Mr Kenny said Mr Ahern's remarks "confirm that Fianna Fáil will not hesitate in these circumstances to cede controlling interest to Sinn Féin in support of a Fianna Fáil or Fianna Fáil/PD minority government. On behalf of Fine Gael let me repeat my position on this matter. Fine Gael will have no truck with Sinn Féin in government. I disagree completely with the Taoiseach's contention that the only impediment to serving in government is their economic policy."

He added: "While I acknowledge the progress made by Sinn Féin in recent years, this party has, in my view, yet to complete its journey to full democracy. Sinn Féin has yet to declare its full support for the police and judicial systems in Northern Ireland and in this State.

"A number of major crimes perpetrated by the IRA, such as the Northern Bank Robbery, and the McCartney and Rafferty murders, have yet to be resolved. There is also the issue of the 'On-the-Runs' and others still being sought for other serious crimes that have yet to be addressed.

"Sinn Féin is also continuing to seek the release from prison of a number of people who have been convicted of serious offences in this jurisdiction. In my view it would be completely unacceptable for any potential government to be beholden to Sinn Féin and I will not allow this to happen. The choice now being offered to the public is clear. People can vote for a Fianna Fáil/Sinn Féin government or they can vote for a Fine Gael/Labour alternative," said Mr Kenny.

Meanwhile, Progressive Democrats leader Michael McDowell has ruled out an alliance with Fine Gael - which rejected the possibility last week of any role for the PDs - and Labour: "They have made their bed, let them lie on it," he said.

Keeping all of his coalition options open, Mr Ahern, speaking on RTÉ's This Week radio programme, insisted his "preferred option" is for a renewal of the FF/PD alliance.

He said his objections to Sinn Féin are now based upon their economic policies, although he said the party deserved credit for supporting the IRA's disarmament and committing to completely peaceful means.

© 2007 The Irish Times

Wow, I didn't see that coming! :rolleyes:

Comments

It's codswallop.
    SF t.d's could vote for Ahern if they wanted to-accepting their support is immaterial.
    Saying thanks lads like in the above article is also immaterial.

Ballooba,as per the charter would you add an opinion please,thats more than the above sentence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Tristrame wrote:
    It's codswallop.
    SF t.d's could vote for Ahern if they wanted to-accepting their support is immaterial.
    Saying thanks lads like in the above article is also immaterial.

Exactly; the first thing that will happen in the next Dáil is that Ahern will be nominated for Taoiseach - if Sinn Fein decide to support his return there's nothing Fianna Fail can do about it - in fact, in those circumstances could it be called democratic if a party refuses to accept the will of the majority of the house (and, as a result, the people, at least in theory)?

As for FG's reaction, equally predictable. They're desperate to scare FF voters into thinking a vote for Bertie is a vote for SF and will take any opportunity to perpetuate that myth.

Given the realities of politics in Ireland, or any country, would FG reject a vote from any party, the PDs or SF or otherwise, if it came with no strings attached? I'm not as sure as Enda wants me to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sorry, forgot about that rule.

I always thought Bertie would go into government with Sinn Fein if push came to shove. I anticipate even warmer feelings towards Sinn fein from Bertie if he needs them in Summer 07. Statements like the above are just softening people up for what's to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

This potential event might be what Haughey prophecised "most devious"?

By coming out with what might seem like an innocent statement, I believe Ahern is now making the first steps in building a political nest for FF, SF and whatever kestrels they would have with them.

I think he would be quite comfortable being dependent on SF inasumuch as he was dependent on the Independents: an unoffical back scratching. Enda Kenny is right, this is a significant new departure in FF's political history.

I only wish journalists had asked him why the change of mind? There really must be an air of trepidation around the Dail these days.

I for one would not like to see a government in this country to be at the political mercy of a party whose parliamentary leader was once on the IRA Army Council, and who has been imprisoned for importing arms into this country. That group had its boot on the back of Irish society for long enough, and it would be a terrible shame if they were allowed do the same thing in the Irish parliament simply to satisfy Fianna Fail's interminable hunger for power.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I would see it as a beautiful peice of ballet played by the taoiseach on behalf of his current goverment partners.
    As would be expected the FG leader came out seeking the PD position on the issue. the public mind is now focused on the notion that the PDs are the ones who will keep sinn fein out of goverment. the notion that FG or labour are unready for goverment has not been challenged and I would expect a boost in PD numbers in the next poll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he can hardly prevent them voting for him and with FF on various issues.

daithimac wrote:
    the notion that FG or labour are unready for goverment has not been challenged and I would expect a boost in PD numbers in the next poll

The latest figures I have seen show McDowell in trouble in his own constituency in DSE. Not even he is guaranteed a seat. Historically, he has never succeeded in retaining his Dail seat.
    he can hardly prevent them voting for him and with FF on various issues.

Why would he bother saying anything if that is all he has in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

I would have to concur with Daithimac. It seems a tactical manouevre by An Taoiseach really. In the unlikely event he requires Sinn Féin support he will now be, to some extent, free to accept it but more importantly in light of the "Lame Duck" Enda fiasco, it focuses those who are unsure of the FG/Lab coalition anyway on the PDs as the best option to keep out Sinn Féin.

With every passing day it looks more and more likely that Bertie will return as Taoiseach with only his suppotring cast left to be decided.

ballooba wrote:
    The latest figures I have seen show McDowell in trouble in his own constituency in DSE. Not even he is guaranteed a seat. Historically, he has never succeeded in retaining his Dail seat.

What figures are these?

McDowell was never a safe seat for the PDs and he has never retained his place, but my thoughts of this pattern remaining were washed away once he became the party leader - when was the last time a Tainiste lost their seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Well Bertie go a slap in the kisser from Gerry who said that he wound not enter into any arrangement with FF as their policies were opposed . He said thet FF would have to change their policy if they were to work together.

There is only so much waffle that the Teflon Taoiseach can cram down peoples' throats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNCWMHSNAU
    Gerry Adams has said Sinn Féin will only support a Fianna Fáil Government if the party radically changes its economic policies.

Yesterday, Bertie Ahern said he would accept Sinn Féin support to prop up a minority Fianna Fáil Government after the next election, but would not enter a coalition with republicans.

Asked about the matter in Belfast today, Mr Adams did not rule out providing such support, but said it would only be forthcoming if Fianna Fáil abandoned many of its policies.

He said the health services were in a complete mess and republicans would only support a potential Taoiseach with policies that could address this and other problems in the public sector.

so basically, SF wouldn't give FF any support now, and would only do so in future if FF changed it's policies to match Sf's, which I really don't see happening in the slightest.
    FF can't stop SF from giving them their support anyway, so it's really a matter of whether or not SF would do so, and that is currently highly unlikely.
    neither will go into coalition with each other.
    Enda Kenny and Pat Rabbit would also "accept" SF's support if it was to get them into government.
    Enda might have to once again learn the hard way, that whinging about Fianna Fail doesn't do him any favours.

as Caomhghin O' Caolain said today:
    "Enda Kenny would be better off focusing on his own internal party problems rather than engaging in this hysteria"

flogen wrote:
    What figures are these?

http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=16061

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

flogen wrote:
    when was the last time a Tainiste lost their seat?
    When was the last time a Táinaiste wasn't in the previous Dáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ha ha ha , i love the way you FF supporters are maintaining "theres nothing we can do to stop em voting for bertie, boo hoo!" when its patently bloody obvious bertie would hop in the sack with anyone who could keep em in power. ive maintained in other threads this could happen and here we are, what a surprise.

interesting to see only two of the posters have mentioned that SF wouldn't go into power with FF with its current policies so its a moot point. what we got here is bertie whoring the party around like a pimp to see who'll take em. if i was macdowel I'd be very worried. the PDs are irrelevant now and this election is looking more and more like a countdown to destruction for them, looks like he'll be relying on the court job for the next few years :D

*EDIT* just out of interest what carrot do you reckon bertie would chuck their way? the only real codswallop being spoken here is the idea they'd do it for nothing :)

ballooba wrote:

Many thanks for that.
    Ibid wrote:
    When was the last time a Táinaiste wasn't in the previous Dáil?

Not sure tbh, would be interested to know too.

Advertisement