Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Nino 2007 + Hot summer ?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of going abroad for the summer holidays until I read 2007 was expected to be the hottest in 150 years , not purely because of global warming but exceptional because of the El Nino effecting the Pacific Ocean which will have a global effect on 2007 weather. Anyone any knowledge of the El Nino efffect / read up on this?

Comments

Here's a good starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember hearing on sky news recently that this summer will be exceptional as well and its not too hard to believe since the past few summers have provided good warm weather anyway and this winter has been non existant so far, its more like spring. Temperatures of 25C to 30C cud be regular this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

dak wrote:
    Was thinking of going abroad for the summer holidays until I read 2007 was expected to be the hottest in 150 years , not purely because of global warming but exceptional because of the El Nino effecting the Pacific Ocean which will have a global effect on 2007 weather. Anyone any knowledge of the El Nino efffect / read up on this?

Depending on where your going.El-Nino does not effect everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had it in my head that El Nino here was more bad than good, ie overcast and coolish.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Am pretty sure that El Nino has been proven to have no statistically significant effect on weather here.
    That said the world keeps getting warmer every year, which should mean warmer stormier winters and warmer drier summers here.
    Wouldn't be surprised at all for our summers to increasingly becoming more and more Mediterranean like in the near to medium future (5-15 years).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Hopefully the hot summer they're predicting for Ireland wont be of the grey overcast, high humidity type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just watched Al Gore's film - spooky. Very spooky.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

100% guaranteed wet and chilly summer after this widespread prediction... :p

Advertisement