Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland not so conservative?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 6:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

There have been a number of people suggesting to me that Ireland isn't very conservative at all, and "sure it's the same everywhere you go"(i.e. the rest of europe).

From my experience of other's experiences(and my own towards people of differently nationalities online), I would say it's a false presumption, it's just that it's just about decent enough that some people get lucky and don't notice it.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

|I think maybe they have never traveled out of the country and really experienced other cultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I think there are some who make a life out of putting down their own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Dublin may not be overly conservative, but Ireland is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thaedydal wrote:
    |I think maybe they have never traveled out of the country and really experienced other cultures.

One of them has though, which makes it all the more difficult to get a point across "OH i've been in other countries so I know what it's like!".

The problem is that these people only really mingle with the "Mainstream" culture as a "Mainstream" person and whenever you point this out you're being a "rebel goth" or something ridiculous like that for suggesting some people are the "Norm". But it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

I think irish young people are the same or perhaps less conservative from young people of other cultures that i'v met, but the older generation are definately more conservative imo!
    Left over influence of the cathoilic church i think!
    then again i'v never lived anywhere else its just an observation from trips etc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement