Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback from Revision Courses!

Options
  • 08-01-2007 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

So, did anyone go to the revision courses in the institute? Were they any good? were they worth it? What is the teachers like? I was planning to go to the easter course. Please write your feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

I did maths, french and history in the Institute and I thought it was definitely worth it. I got way more out of it than I had anticipated. The teachers I had were excellent, they knew the marking scheme very well and were able to tell you basically what you needed to do to get high marks. They obviously knew their subjects inside out, and the history teacher even managed to make the class interesting, which is no mean feat. I would definitely recommend it, I think it was a great help, and quite motivating aswell, because now I know exactly where I am in terms of how much study I have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I did Business and Spanish in the Institute. The Business teacher, William Murphy, is a really good and enthusiastic teacher. He almost makes me want to have a career in business. Spanish was ok but the notes for it are good

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SMC

Went to the Xmas revision course, thought the Business was absloutely brilliant! Willie Murphy is a legend!!:D I done Business A & B, so worth it! Also done English, it was quite good, teacher was very enthusatic, just showed me how bad my English teacher really is! He doesn't know squat!! (Come to think of it, neither do any of my other teachers!!) I did French for two days, but felt there was no progress being made, so I swapped to Biology A, and thought it worth while!

I'm thinking about going back in easter to do History. The course is worth it (maybe not the French!:)) but it is also sooo expensive!! If you go, listen to them and their advise, and not your regular teachers, when you come back you're just hit by the difference in stanard!! Crazy!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

So let me get this straight. You guys paid loads of money to be told what you need to learn and got tree trunk loads of notes all week long while some people stayed at home and studied the exact same material for free and actually got some work done. I really don't believe in the institute. Is it true that people commited suicide up there before the exams last year?

NADA wrote:
    So let me get this straight. You guys paid loads of money to be told what you need to learn and got tree trunk loads of notes all week long while some people stayed at home and studied the exact same material for free and actually got some work done. I really don't believe in the institute. Is it true that people commited suicide up there before the exams last year?
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If you apply for the Higher Access scheme, you can get the Easter revision course for €70-€80. Thats what I did last year, and I didnt even qualify for the HEAR scheme in the end, I just applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

Archimedes wrote:
    If you apply for the Higher Access scheme, you can get the Easter revision course for €70-€80. Thats what I did last year, and I didnt even qualify for the HEAR scheme in the end, I just applied.

What's the Higher Access Scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

NADA wrote:
    I really don't believe in the institute.

Facts speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

I done English maths nd biology in da institute nd it was da best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

The Institute is a great school for getting the points you need. There are some amazing teachers who know what they're talking about. It does sometimes feel like a factory though. I would say the notes are worth it though. I'm doing the Leaving in one year so they do manage to cram a lot of material into short amounts of time. Haven't done the revision courses but my friends who did them last year said they felt their grades went up by at least a grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Devil5434 wrote:
    I done English maths nd biology in da institute nd it was da best

Are you sure about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Are you sure about that?

:D:D

I didn't do any courses. I am getting one on one german grinds und sie sind super. Mein Deutsch ist besser... lol :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Oh I know someone in 5th year in that place.
    Too expensive for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Ive been doind the physics and maths grinds there throughout the entire year and the physics teacher is amazing. Pat Doyle is so enthusiastic and he just makes all the theory so easy. Im pretty confident now i can get an A1 if i really work at it. Maths is ok. Ive got Kieran Mills. He's good but i would probably be better off spending my time just going over loads of exams and example questions instead. He tries to change the way you solve problems which i think is a bad idea especially so close to the exams! Its bound to cause confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

Are you sure about that?
    yea y

Advertisement