Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build won't boot - ideas?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've put together the following parts for a new build from Komplett (first six-digit number is their SKU number)

323807 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED w/fan, 65W
    320520 MSI K9N Ultra-2F, nForce 570, Socket-AM2 ,DDR2, 2xGbLAN, ATX, PCI-Ex16
    327348 XFX GeForce 7900GS 525M 256MB GDDR3, XT-X, PCI-Express, 525/1550Mhz, 2xDVI
    315951 OCZ Technology Powersupply ATX 450W 120mm Fan, SATA, 20/24pin
    327535 Crucial DDR2 Tenth Anniversary PC5300, 1024MB CL3, 128Meg x 64, 240pin, 667mhz

The problem is, when I put it together and switch on the power, the psu and cpu fans spin for a second and then nothing! It just refuses to boot.

I've tried everything I can think of - I've tried mobo and cpu alone; added the memory; added the gfx card - same results.

I've taken the mobo out of the case and re-tried as above.

First off, for my own sanity, are all these components compatible? I think they are anyway.

If so, am I missing something or have I got some faulty parts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Can you access your BIOS? Which graphics output are you using? Onboard should be disabled if using the PCI-express. You getting any post beeps?

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Cal,

Can't access the BIOS. No POST beeps - the machine doesn't even attempt to boot. I didn't have a monitor connected - no output anyway.

I'm fairly sure there isn't an on-board gfx card on that mobo, so nothing to disable.

It just refuses to boot. A quick whirr of the fans for about a second when powered on and that's it! I then have to switch off the pwer from the psu for about 10-15 seconds before I can try powering up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

If you are getting no beeps on boot remove everything (Inc CPU) and try again. No beeps would leave you with either a dud PSU or a dud Mobo.

Cal.

I just happen to have the mobo and cpu with me in work - ready to send back one or both.

I'll try the mobo with another PSU if I can dig one up here in work.

The PSU does 'light up' when asked. I didn't suspect it as a problem.

I'll keep you POSTed - get it?! :)

Crap - no PSU of that magnitude here in work!

Anyone in the Walkinstown area have a PSU for about 10 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭kmb

Yes a different psu is the first option if the new one hasnt been tested.
    Also i presume you reset cmos?
    Is the cpu fan lead in the correct 3 pin socket?
    Did you reseat the cpu?

If these do not solve the problem then its cpu or motherboard.

Regards,

Kieran

I've reset CMOS. I've removed the CMOS battery for 15 minutes or so. I've tried the CPU fan in both sockets and I've reseated the CPU twice.

A different PSU is the only thing I haven't tried. I don't have another 450W I can try.

Seems to be the PSU.

I tried it on another PSU and it gets a bit further.

I won't get too concerned yet - I didn't hear any POST beeps, but then again I had nothing connected - no cpu, no memory no gfx card.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

my friend had a similer problem, everything was perfect yet it just showed a blank screen and wouldnt go into post. end of the matter, we bought some cheap ass ram from pcworld, and what do you know.. it worked.. then we jsut flashed the bois and all that replaced teh cheap ram and all was working fine. try it it should only cost 15/20 or if ya have any lying around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Is the power switch connected correctly? That'd be my first port of call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Any details on the HDD?
    If you have a pair and they are both jumpered to master the PC will not behave.

As it stands, I've just RMA'd the PSU to Komplett.

I'm making a gross assumption that all will be well when I get a replacement and build the machine properly.

Hagar, only one HDD so that won't catch me out; thanks anyway.

RazielDoomgate - this has been in the back of my mind. I've had a look on-line and some people have had a similar experience to you. Granted, what I'm mostly seeing is an issue with OCZ ram, but I'll be aware of it when building again. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll let ye know the outcome - probably be a few days before I get a replacement PSU.

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement