Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing a new cat into the house

Options
  • 08-01-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering what you think on this one....

We have a 6 month old female, part Burmese moggy neutered in the last month. She is a house cat in a 3 bed semi-detached.
    As the wife and I are both commuters to dublin we're away for 11hrs of the day. To ease this potential boredom for the cat on friday we got a 8 week old kitten (female) as a companion.

After 3 days the older cat is still hostile to the kitten and frequently scraps with the kitten. Today being the monday is their first day on their own.

How long does it take for 2 cats to get used to each other?

Is the fighting just a tussle for dominance?.... kinda worried that the kitten will get injured/killed.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Around a month would be a good ball-park time I would say.

If they are still thumping each other after that:confused: new strategy would be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

have a look at the Kitten Adoption website - there is plenty of advice on how to introduce two cats. The kitten is still very young at 8 weeks as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

To give the cats the best chance you should separate them for the first few days and then let them see each other for a few minutes at a time, supervised. Your six month old cat will certainly be protecting her territory and they will fight to establish who is "Top Cat". I introduced a four year old to a six year old (both males) a little over a year ago - we are down to about two fights a day!! Although, I think that's because the six year old is just plain grumpy! They both want to sit on my legs in the evenings when I'm watching TV so they end up cuddled up together!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I think tbh that it totally depends on the cats.
    We had a boy-cat (clay), who had absolutely *no* problem with other cats (or dogs) being in his house. He would throw them the odd "dont even think about it" look if they went near his bed or food but that was it. ;)
    So dont give up, a little time and patience and it might work out.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Keep trying OP. I'm sure it'll work out fine. If you're very worried about the kitten maybe you could confine them to separate room while unsupervised until you have had more time to supervise their bonding.

I have 5 cats - 9yo female, 8yo female, 7yo male and two 10 month old males - and all 5 were introduced at different times plus a 2 year old dog introduced after the first 3 cats - and they all love each other. All 6 sleep in a big heap together.

I did find my un-neutered female (the 8yo) took a dislike to the last kitten for some reason, despite loving the others. She spit at him a lot and he learned to avoid her for a while but eventually she tolerated him more and more and now they get on great.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I think we we're lucky. 6 days after we got the new kitten they were both firm friends, grooming each other and playing around etc.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was amazed how soon our 1 year old took to liking and looking after the two 8 week old kittens that came into our house. It took no more than a day for them to work it out and then they were always with each other, no problems at all. :) So now we have just two cats (the one year old Milse and just over 8 weeks, Cara), as we were just fostering one of the 8 week old kittens until someone adopted her (we do this on a regular basis, just our way of helping out).

Advertisement