Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying laminate flooring

Options
  • 08-01-2007 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In my wife's never ending search to save money after our builder added on his little extras, I've been volunteered to lay the laminate flooring in the bedrooms and playroom in our house.

I've spent the weekend in numerous shops checking prices and the like and once again, I'm amazed at how different shops (some selling the same product) give different advice on how to lay these floorboards.

We have a bungalow and so the base is concrete. The 5 bedrooms are part of the old house while the playroom is in the new extension and thus is drying out at the moment. The house has been weather tight for 3 months at this stage and the heating will have been turned back on for a month before the flooring is laid. The question is what is the best method of laying these floorboards in order to avoid an expensive mistake?

I have been told to put down polythene sheeting (to prevent moisture getting in to the boards (fair enough), others have said to lay foam on top of this to absorb some of the noise while others said to dispense with these layers and lay 6mm plywood to ensure a level base.

The flooring I've been looking at is the "click together" flooring which seems simple enough to fit. Anyone had experience of fitting this and is it as simple as it sounds?

Finally, I think the 7mm flooring appears flimsy and I'm more inclined to lay something more substantial up to and including semi solid. However, my wife thinks that would be a waste of money (the 7mm is coming in a 8 - 10 euro a sq. yd while the semi solid is 16 - 25 euro sq yd and we have 122 sq yds in total to floor in the bedrooms and playroom alone).

Any hints/advice appreciated as always.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The polythene sheeting is for concrete bases only - there would be no point putting it upstairs. However you will need underlay for both to ensure a level bas and reduce noise.

Laying laminate is easy enough if the room in a normal rectangular shape. If it has features (staircases, etc) then you need a little more expertise. There are plenty of websites that will help yoiu.

Advertisement