Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

5times wrote:
    That's the place - dodgy to get down to - especially if it was wet weather . We spent half of a whole summer down there one year tryimg to see how far in we could get . We'd get in a piece of the way , then one of us would get scared and we'd all come running out . Must have taken us a couple of weeks to get as far as we could . From memory it split in 2 just before we got to where it was blocked off . Fun times - oh to be young again .

How deep is the water? How soft is the ground? Would wellies do? I'd be interested in going in there. I know where you're on about. If anyone's game we could all meet and try it? Can I bring a bottle of B? :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

JohnCleary wrote:
    How deep is the water? How soft is the ground? Would wellies do? I'd be interested in going in there. I know where you're on about. If anyone's game we could all meet and try it? Can I bring a bottle of B? :D:p

Wellies would be fine - it was only up to our ankles . I'd love to meet up for a bottle of B , but unforunately I'm on the other side of the world . Maybe some other time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I'm up for it. Is it kinda near where that private-looking salmony place is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 niallgr92

so did any of you guys had a look at these places?
    coopers cave ends when you go in far enough ive went to the end before. the end of the sandy river cave the one that has a cage round it ive been in there too wen i was younger and could fit trough the bars it just ends a couple of meters in, ive heard there is a tunnel under st pats primary school in galway linking the church with the school as it was once an old amry base (apparently). intrested in seeing some of these places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

What an interesting thread!

I know the thread is about 4 years old but did anyone check out any of these historic tunnels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Following from this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035912

Does anyone know of any tunnels/underground passages in Galway? I need some adventure!

Newtownsmith there has a few underground rivers. if you could go down the steps where the moat is you can gain access there.
    otherwise coopers cave is good.

Steyr wrote: »
    Id so try to open a Coffin!:D

you should really cop onto to yourself. they are people like you would try to o that, which is why the crypts have to be carefully monitored.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    you should really cop onto to yourself. they are people like you would try to o that, which is why the crypts have to be carefully monitored.
    I thought it was more to keep people in rather than out, given Christianity's proud history of resurrection. Zombie containment, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

FlashD wrote: »
    What an interesting thread!

I know the thread is about 4 years old but did anyone check out any of these historic tunnels?

Talk about digging up an old thead...

Digging... tunnels...

nevermind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

zombiethread.png

• Advertisement

as far as zombies go i have my kit to destroy them :)
    i want to check these places out i live in galway so im close to them! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

the freemasons have tunnels under the whole city

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Ive fond memories of Coopers Cave as a kid,for a bunch of 10 year old kids like me and my friends it was some adventure to go in there.
    Apart from that tunnell under Francis St there is also a little known tunnel that goes from St.Nicholas's Church in a diagonal line up underneath Shop St and ends around where Lifestyle sports is on the corner there.
    I had heard of that Cathedral Tunnel before but assumed it was just a rumour.
    Also a rumour of a tunnel under the old city wall that led towards the docks.Would make sense if the city was going to be under seige to have some sort of secret route to the docks and thus away from the city.

Aiel wrote: »
    Ive fond memories of Coopers Cave as a kid,for a bunch of 10 year old kids like me and my friends it was some adventure to go in there.
    Apart from that tunnell under Francis St there is also a little known tunnel that goes from St.Nicholas's Church in a diagonal line up underneath Shop St and ends around where Lifestyle sports is on the corner there.
    Also a rumour of a tunnel under the old city wall that led towards the docks.Would make sense if the city was going to be under seige to have some sort of secret route to the docks and thus away from the city.

have you any idea how i could access these tunnels that go under shop street? even if i wer to ask for permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

niallgr92 wrote: »
    so did any of you guys had a look at these places?
    coopers cave ends when you go in far enough ive went to the end before. the end of the sandy river cave the one that has a cage round it ive been in there too wen i was younger and could fit trough the bars it just ends a couple of meters in, ive heard there is a tunnel under st pats primary school in galway linking the church with the school as it was once an old amry base (apparently). intrested in seeing some of these places!
    Ya thats true about pats.I used to go there and theres a tunnel under the stage in the hall that goes all the way down...I went in a few metres but pussied out haha....there's also a really big basement area under the principles office that has atleast 4 rooms(possibly more i was only in 4 of them) and I presume theres a tunnel from there to the church aswell.

have you any idea how i could access these tunnels that go under shop street? even if i wer to ask for permission.

The wife of the Minister of that church comes into the shop where i work so sometime i might ask her about it.She'll probably laugh in my face and tell me its not true but its a risk im willing to take:).
    Theres a basement under St.Marys with a couple of sealed doors in 1 corner of it,i wonder where they lead,might come out in Narnia hopefully:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Where in Mary's? In the old building, or in the study hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Down near the old weights room under the church in Marys is it? I'm trying to think where else it would be in that place. Nearly sure that there are other doors down there near the old weights room, it has been years since I have been there so this could just be a part of my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

could you direct me exactly to where coopers cave is. i've been down there looking for it a few times but to no avail. i know the place is overgrown and everything. i entered the field by the wall beside the dual carriagway at the end of the row of houses there. also i have heard of a grate that covers where the river 'falls' into the ground. all i could find were the 2 points where the river trickles into the bedrock. porous as it is. thanks in advance.

muskyj wrote: »
    could you direct me exactly to where coopers cave is. i've been down there looking for it a few times but to no avail. i know the place is overgrown and everything. i entered the field by the wall beside the dual carriagway at the end of the row of houses there. also i have heard of a grate that covers where the river 'falls' into the ground. all i could find were the 2 points where the river trickles into the bedrock. porous as it is. thanks in advance.

just follow the river to the end and the caves are a bit above the grate.
    people light fires in there so do not wear white clothes going in as you will not come out very clean.
    do go in with someone else in case of any mishaps.

• Advertisement

hey i live like behind the cave, it sucks tho its really dodgy coz of falling rocks, can direct you coz its a bit hidden and u need to know were to go to find it, its not at the end of the river... thats a cave that goes in like 2 meters lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Is anyone else interested in this partly out of a sense of adventure but maybe also as a place for a bit of Knacker Drinking?

By the way theres a fair few caves near the Quarry out near crestwood though prob a bit dangerous

hey i live like behind the cave, it sucks tho its really dodgy coz of falling rocks, can direct you coz its a bit hidden and u need to know were to go to find it, its not at the end of the river... thats a cave that goes in like 2 meters lol

hi niall, i've been to the 2 end points of the river that trickle into the limestone and looking towards that estate where i assume you live there is a fair amount of overgrown bushes and stuff. should i be heading for the estate from end point closest the road or farthest from the road? and is there indeed another point where the water drops into the ground (as in falls in like 50 feet or so) and is covered by a grate?

btw i'm not foolish enough to go into the cave on my own. but i am damn curious :)

@ jimi. didn't know you were allowed to go into that quarry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

hi niall, i've been to the 2 end points of the river that trickle into the limestone and looking towards that estate where i assume you live there is a fair amount of overgrown bushes and stuff. should i be heading for the estate from end point closest the road or farthest from the road? and is there indeed another point where the water drops into the ground (as in falls in like 50 feet or so) and is covered by a grate?

btw i'm not foolish enough to go into the cave on my own. but i am damn curious :)

Dont think you are allowed because its dangerous but that was when I was a kid, years ago now,

but where your going would be pretty dangerous too...

I dunno why Im so curious now as well, never even thought about the underground thing before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Interesting re old Galway tunnels.

Re St Endas to Cahtedral?

with respect, doubt it vary much because

1. huge distance involved ( Assuming this the school at GThreadneedle Rd ) plus different levels

2 cathedral finished c 1963/64. In course of building it on the old counry jail site there were very deep excavations to bear the weight of the new building.

Some of the others may be there. especially older buildings.

Many of the larger houses had tunnels out the back either for staff or as an escape route

the cave is closest to the new road where the river ends it is up the hill as if u were to go to the field and on your right there is a big limestone looking wall the cave is in the bushes and trees there its cool to go in but its hard to navigate to go down as far as possible you need to go to the end of the cave take a left and then take another left and crawl trough the hole u will b on ur hands and knees for most of the trip, but do b careful!

Ive some cool childhood memories of me and my friends edging our way into the cave in the pitch dark not knowing what was in the cave,so we left it and came back the following day,we didnt have torches so we had a clever idea for a torch of taking some firelighter and jamming it into the top of a bottle,then lighting it and making out way in with the bottle held out in front.It was a pretty cool adventure and makes me smile thinking back on it,ahh memories:).

Ive some cool childhood memories of me and my friends edging our way into the cave in the pitch dark not knowing what was in the cave,so we left it and came back the following day,we didnt have torches so we had a clever idea for a torch of taking some firelighter and jamming it into the top of a bottle,then lighting it and making out way in with the bottle held out in front.It was a pretty cool adventure and makes me smile thinking back on it,ahh memories:).
    cool :P we usto get bullrushes from the side of the river and dip them in petrol and walk round in there with them :P usta light the whole place up!

the cave is closest to the new road where the river ends it is up the hill as if u were to go to the field and on your right there is a big limestone looking wall the cave is in the bushes and trees there its cool to go in but its hard to navigate to go down as far as possible you need to go to the end of the cave take a left and then take another left and crawl trough the hole u will b on ur hands and knees for most of the trip, but do b careful!

Thanks Niall, found it!!
    I got someone to go with me so i'll let you know how we get on. thanks for the directions for inside the cave too. looks low enough so like you said it will be mostly crawling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thanks Niall, found it!!
    I got someone to go with me so i'll let you know how we get on. thanks for the directions for inside the cave too. looks low enough so like you said it will be mostly crawling.

No report back....hope he survived :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement