Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summons for driving offence(!)

Options
  • 08-01-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    7 months ago I did an illegal right and was caught by a gaurd.
    So fair enough I said I was in the wrong.
    I didnt have my license with me but all my tax and insurance discs were up to date.
    So the gaurd told me to bring my license to a station of my choosing and to pay the fine.

Grand. Or so I thought. 7 months after this incident (three days ago) I receive a summons for no insurance on my car at the date of the offence.

Any ideas what I should do?
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Bring in proof of insurance to the Garda station for the time of the offense, i.e. insurance disk or letter from insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

If you can prove you had a valid insurance cert for that car on the date of the offence, surely there won’t be a problem?

Sounds like it’s their admin screw-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

on the day just show up with proof th\t you had insurance,tax ect ect and you will get off... prob just typed in the wrong thing when doing up your tickets...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

anto-t wrote:
    on the day just show up with proof th\t you had insurance,tax ect ect and you will get off... prob just typed in the wrong thing when doing up your tickets...

Thanks guys.

Surely if its their screw-up then I can avoid the court date?

Or is there any chance of getting the court date cancelled?

I will get a letter from my insurance company to state I was insured.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Hi, same kind of thing happened to my b/f. He was driving a company car, and the (crappy) company didn't renew the insurance. Anyway, he was summoned like yourself and had to go to court to explain that it was the company at fault and not him. It was grand in the end, he wasn't held liable as it was his jobs fault and not his, but even so, he still had to make the trip to court to prove this.
    I'd say you'll be the same, it's a pain in the ass, taking time off work etc. but afaik it's the only way.

• Advertisement

Did you give the garda your insurance cert at the time, and have the correct insurance disc on display? If so, there should be no summons but you should give the documentation to the garda anyway and ask him to withdraw the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

As long as you can prove your insured you should only get a bollocking for not producing your info.

layke wrote:
    As long as you can prove your insured you should only get a bollocking for not producing your info.

Technically, even if covered and there is a valid cert, if the disk was not displayed there can be a prosecution on that basis alone. Though a garda would be very petty to proceed for that offence alone and many judges would strike out the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Guys

Just to confirm.

I was insured at the time, the insurance disc was on the windscreen. The guard did check this.

I showed my license (but not a letter confirming my insurance) at the station.

AFAIR I was only asked to show my licence.

Thanks
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Lynfo wrote:
    Hi, same kind of thing happened to my b/f. He was driving a company car, and the (crappy) company didn't renew the insurance. Anyway, he was summoned like yourself and had to go to court to explain that it was the company at fault and not him. It was grand in the end, he wasn't held liable as it was his jobs fault and not his, but even so, he still had to make the trip to court to prove this.
    I'd say you'll be the same, it's a pain in the ass, taking time off work etc. but afaik it's the only way.

I didn't think that was a valid defence : is it not the driver's responsibility to ensure his/her vehice is taxed/insured/roadworthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

It BeeMee wrote:
    I didn't think that was a valid defence : is it not the driver's responsibility to ensure his/her vehice is taxed/insured/roadworthy?

But in that case the vehicle was not his, but one belonging to the company, IMHO, therefore the onus would have been on the company to ensure everything was up-to-date and not the current driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

It BeeMee wrote:
    it isnt drivers responsibility when its a company car.Or so i think

Advertisement