Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance - please help

Options
  • 08-01-2007 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Before I start id like to point out that I am unemployed due to my company going bust-and i cant get another job as apparantly im "Overqualified.So please dont call me a scrounger or lazy!

I am unemployed at the moment.I was recently living in a 1 bedroomed flat-But moved as i lost my job and couldnt afford the rent.I moved into a 4 bedroomed house with a few people.I am paying 60 euro a week for my room inc ulities.

I have not applied for rent allowance on this room as I feel i can afford the rent myself and Also my landlord does not accept rent allowance.I have yet to go down to the Social Welfare with proof of address-I am just waiting on a letter from the landlord.

However I am getting a bit scared as I have been told by a few people that because i have not applied for rent allowance that the Social Welfare will cut off my payments- Seemenly you cant have one without the other.Could you please tell me if this is true and If so what rights have i(If any)Please get back to me ASAP

Thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I will admit it is not an area I know much about but I would suggest approaching Welfare and getting them to explain what will happen. Generally they are approachable and usually keen to explain things clearly. Voice your concerns to them. TBH other people telling you what you can or cannot do is a recipe for even more stress. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'm not sure what you're asking? Is it whether or not you can claim unemployment benefit without claiming rent allowance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

from what i gather your looking for advice on:

no they will not stop you social welfate because your not claiming rent allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

You get your Rent allowance from the HSE and your unemployment from the social welfare and you can get one without the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I suggest dumbing down your CV a bit and getting any sort of job to tide you over.. ;)

Best of luck , yes I agree I cant see them stoping your payments. Your landlord may be in trouble though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement