Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to begin...

Options
  • 08-01-2007 2:23pm

...moved house last year. Anyway, the new house has a large expanse of woods, mountains and boglands nearby, and the road always has a few pheasant running around. The thought struck me this weekend that I should take up shooting, but don't know where to start. Is there any good beginner's book or website with basic info about equipment and guns, the law, safety etc. Anyone know of a club in the Sth Kerry/West Cork region? Is it better to start with clay pigeon or is it an entirely different sport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Welcome to the woderful world of shooting.:)

If its anything like my part of the world you should'nt have to drive to far before you'll see local gun club signs on field gates. I would also advise you (before you go too far) to investigate the likelyhood of getting access to the land on which you would wish to hunt.

If you have not discharged a shotgun before and you don't have anyone to show you the ropes it certainly would be wise to get a session in on a clay layout. Gun handling is not something to be taken lightly even though safety procedures are founded in basic common sense.

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Find out what gun club (if any) has permission to shoot the lands around your area.

Talk to them see how active they are and decide would you like to join. If they are decent chaps you can follow them on a days hunting and see if you like it. Hopefully someone will take you under his wing and you'll become good hunting buddies. You can join the club if you like the way it is run or ask the individual farmers and landowners would they mind if you shot on their land.

If you like the hunting aspect of it then try and get some decent instruction on firearms handling and operation. Safety is number one. Always.

When you tell people you would like some safety training you will probably encounter the typical Irish attitude of "Sher what do ya want that for" but seriously. You'll enjoy it and its worthwhile. It will also help get your license if you can say you are getting training and instruction.

When your instructor feels you are safe enough to handle a gun, then I would decide what type of gun would suit your needs. Apply for license and continue hunting with your hunting buddy (who hopefully has a dog to hunt with) in the local gun club to learn the lay of the land. This way you will learn where you can and cannot shoot and the usual hangouts of the gme you will be hunting.

As for a place to learn about hunting in Ireland, there's no better way than asking people who hunt in Ireland. Us, this is a decent place for information but be prepared for peoples opinions to be thrown about with the advice. Myself included

Vegeta wrote:
    this is a decent place for information but be prepared for peoples opinions to be thrown about with the advice. Myself included

Do you need a hug???::D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hezz700 wrote:
    Do you need a hug???::D :D:D

ah no, you know what I am talking about though.

The epic 6 page posts of what is best for hunting in Ireland.

I throw my opinion around just as much as the next fella but burried under all the opinions there is generally good advice here

I certainly do, actually i could'nt agree with you more. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks. Know a fellow who is a gilly (spelling?) for French enthusiasts and mihgt pick his brain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

There are several active gun clubs in the west cork area. I know of a couple near skibbereen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ginoguns39

hi connor,mallow rifle & pistol club would be a great place to learn to shoot safely.they have training on all weapons if you join the club.try ringing pat hayes at 022 20 121.cheers:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Vegeta wrote:
    Find out what gun club (if any) has permission to shoot the lands around your area.

Talk to them see how active they are and decide would you like to join. If they are decent chaps you can follow them on a days hunting and see if you like it. Hopefully someone will take you under his wing and you'll become good hunting buddies. You can join the club if you like the way it is run or ask the individual farmers and landowners would they mind if you shot on their land.

If you like the hunting aspect of it then try and get some decent instruction on firearms handling and operation. Safety is number one. Always.

When you tell people you would like some safety training you will probably encounter the typical Irish attitude of "Sher what do ya want that for" but seriously. You'll enjoy it and its worthwhile. It will also help get your license if you can say you are getting training and instruction.

When your instructor feels you are safe enough to handle a gun, then I would decide what type of gun would suit your needs. Apply for license and continue hunting with your hunting buddy (who hopefully has a dog to hunt with) in the local gun club to learn the lay of the land. This way you will learn where you can and cannot shoot and the usual hangouts of the gme you will be hunting.

As for a place to learn about hunting in Ireland, there's no better way than asking people who hunt in Ireland. Us, this is a decent place for information but be prepared for peoples opinions to be thrown about with the advice. Myself included

Well said, this covers it all i think.

Keelan.

Advertisement