Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAN Port on Wifi Router?!?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I know WAN is should for Wide Area Network, but what is this port for on my router and can I use it instead of my broadband modem?

Currently I have dumbed down my wifi router to just a plug in switch and wifi access point, my broadband router is the firewall, DNS and DHCP server.

I've always wondered what the WAN port is for? Is it usless here in ireland?

Thanks
    Pablo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Ordinarily you should take the ethernet connection from your broadband modem (not router) and plug it into the WAN port on your router. Sounds like you are treating your wifi router as a bridge so you can connect WLAN and LAN clients to the Internet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

hi Pablo,

re: can I use it instead of my Broadband modem?
    No, not unless your wifi router includes a dsl (or cable if you use ntl?) modem.

re: pupose of the WAN
    Your wifi router most probably includes a firewall. So it will treat anything plugged into the WAN as being outside of the firewall and apply the firewall rules to comms via this port. While anything plugged into the other ethernet ports will be inside of the firewall and uneffected by the firewall

colin

Advertisement