Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reccomendation surround sound with 5.1 sound

• 08-01-2007 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does any one have any recommendations for a surround sound system with 5.1 sound that will connect up to the Xbox 360? I have searched the Xbox site but its mainly US models that are reccomended. I suppose I'd need something with a digital input and that won't cost a fortune. TIA,
    Poco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I have this and its class. especially with rear wireless speakers and multiple digital inputs - brilliant

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/IE/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10928

I got it a good bit cheaper than is listed on that site on www.komplett.ie but they dont seem to stock it anymore?! was ~€300 at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have these as well, very happy with them.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=303911

00scully, they still have yours as well, work out about €350 inc del.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313174

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

You can't really beat the Z5500's for €299. Although for the Xbox it maybe be a little overkill....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

Thanks for all the replies. The logitech looks good alright but I have a big room to work with so would be afraid there is not enough power to annoy the neighbors.

• Advertisement

Poco90 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. The logitech looks good alright but I have a big room to work with so would be afraid there is not enough power to annoy the neighbors.

Well my room is not that big, but at not even half way up on the volume, the bass makes the room shake and can be heard next door, so I'm pretty sure they'd work in yours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

i have the z-5500's hooked up to my 360,

you wont be disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Yeah I have the z-5500s hooked up to my 360 aswell, great set up. My neighbour 2 doors down complained about the noise when I first got them.

yup my neighbours complained when i had my z5450 not even at half :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

If you go for the Logitech z-5500 you will not be disappointed you can get in Harvey Norman at the moment for €364.

I "downgraded" recently from a 6 year old Sony Separates surround sound amp and large speakers, and I am very happy with the sound of the logitech z-5500 I am using them in my living room as a Home theater in a box setup. The speakers are compact but not too small the sub is large although half the size of my previous one and the sound volume is plenty. a problem I had with my previous system was that to get a nice decent sound you had to turn up the volume till the house shook. The other reason for the downgrade was I finally caved into pressure from my wife regarding the size of the speakers in the room.

The sound from the system is crystal clear and the surround soundstage is very pronounced which is quite impressive for such a system, I guess this is because the system is THX certified that it is of such good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

00sully wrote:
    I have this and its class. especially with rear wireless speakers and multiple digital inputs - brilliant

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/IE/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10928

I got it a good bit cheaper than is listed on that site on www.komplett.ie but they dont seem to stock it anymore?! was ~€300 at the time

do the wireless controllers interfere with signal or vice versa was looking a wireless solution myself.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I see that Pixmania have the Z-5400 for €204 inc. VAT & delivery:

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/175487/art/logitech/5-1-speakersystem-z-5400.html

There identical to the Z-5450 except the rear speakers are not wireless, so just look for reviews of Z-5450 to get an idea of how good they are.

Is this the cheapest decent set of THX surround speakers that i can get or do you have any other recommendations?

vasch_ro wrote:
    do the wireless controllers interfere with signal or vice versa was looking a wireless solution myself.....

not at all. i have a wireless network setup in the same room with 2 laptops accessing it and never had a problem whatsoever - sound from the rear wireless speakers is loud and clear :) they do have to be plugged in tho but you still dont have to try to hide wires all along the skirting of your room!

oh and also have an xbox360 with 2 wireless controllers all working perfectly together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

great sounds like the one for me then !!! Hope the neighbours don't mind !!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

butts wrote:
    I see that Pixmania have the Z-5400 for €204 inc. VAT + delivery:
    QUOTE]

I've got my xbox set up in a small room and was tinkering with the idea of getting a surround setup (i recently splashed out on a hd LCD so feel I'm not doing it justice with the onboard speakers.)

Question is it worth it ofr a small (read tiny) room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

pixmania have the Z-5450 for €270 inc vat + del. Have been thinking about getting a set with wireless rear speakers....hmmm..

Can someone give me the dimensions of the subwoofer or for the 5400's subwoofer if they're the same??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I got a set of (Tevion is the brand name) in ALDI or LIDL a few months back for 39.99
    The sliver/black flat panel ones.
    Absolutely fantastic for the price.
    The won't blow your ear drums but for less than forty yoyo they are fantastic. Have them connected up to the PC also.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Another vote for the Z5500.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

If you're looking to spend a bit more powercity have the Yamaha AV59 for €350.
    Its basically a RXV359 receiver and NSP110 speaker package in the same box.

The receiver does component switching which may be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Do you connect all these speakers through the ub ports on the 360, what? Thinking about getting speakers and was wondering can an usb speakers be used, or how do youconnect them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

Samsung from tecknikdirekt

I bought this guy last week, and its the shiznit. 600w and it looks class, ordered on a wednesday had it on monday. Not bad for €240

5.1 makes a huge difference to gaming, only thing i regret is not getting it sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

shortys94 wrote:
    Do you connect all these speakers through the ub ports on the 360, what? Thinking about getting speakers and was wondering can an usb speakers be used, or how do youconnect them.

Only way to get the proper 5.1 output from the xbox, is to use an optical toslink cable between the xbox and your amp. You can use the phono connection but it isnt true 5.1, its still good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 themainburger

Just wondering if the LOGITECH Z-5450 5.1 speakers suit the following:

I have the xBox360 in the sitting room at home (14' x 11') connected to a 31 inch Sony..would these speakers work well in this size room?

I plan on getting this cable for the xBox360 in order to get the 5.1 sound:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/xbox-360-component-video-cable-optical.html

The main reason I want this however is for playing music thru the xBox360..I have media connect set up on the laptop so I play the music stored on it thru the xBox360 via the broadband router..at the moment the sound is just coming out thru the TV (and the stereo connected to the TV) so ideally I want to replace this set up with the Z-5450..

I'm planning on getting a HD LCD pretty soon aswell so the cable above will connect up the Z-5450 digitally and the TV in HD to the xBox, so what I'm wondering is will these speakers be suitable for use as the surround sound for the TV also?

The wireless feature looks excellent so I'm really hoping to get them, can anyone recommend from experience using these speakers for Music, TV and Gaming surround sound in a sitting room?

Before you go spending €90 on a cable, if you got the X360 Premium Pack, all you need to buy is the optical cable which plugs into the supplied cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

00sully wrote:
    not at all. i have a wireless network setup in the same room with 2 laptops accessing it and never had a problem whatsoever - sound from the rear wireless speakers is loud and clear :) they do have to be plugged in tho but you still dont have to try to hide wires all along the skirting of your room!

oh and also have an xbox360 with 2 wireless controllers all working perfectly together!

Am I reading that wrong? you have to plug in the rear wireless speakers? I was thinking about getting something similar, just presumed sets like that took batteries in the wireless satellites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

mcgovern wrote:
    Before you go spending €90 on a cable, if you got the X360 Premium Pack, all you need to buy is the optical cable which plugs into the supplied cable.

Powercity stock optical cables for €9.99 vs the €20 plus you will pay in any other retaillers . Im using the Powercity cables hooked to my Sony STR-DB200 home theatre system and I have had no problem with them for my xbox360 or dvd player , sound quality next to none with no hiss !!

mcgovern wrote:

Nah I didn't get the premium, just got the original basic when it first came out..should I stay with the same cable in the link or do you know of an alternative..cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i have a rather small room. I have the tv mounted onto the wall and its kinda rattling with the sound from games and basically sounds awful.

Now because its a small room im assuming i dont need a whopper set of speakers.

What exactly should i be looking for in a set of speakers, preferably 5.1 channel etc, and for a decent price, im not warranting spending 300 euro, thats the price of my xbox practicully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fergob

Am I reading that wrong? you have to plug in the rear wireless speakers? I was thinking about getting something similar, just presumed sets like that took batteries in the wireless satellites

Hi Skywalker,

Yes the 5450's do have plugs on the rear wireless speakers. This is because they need that for proper power and quality output. Battery rear wireless speakers are typically underpowered and frankly not worth the effort.

• Advertisement

Nah I didn't get the premium, just got the original basic when it first came out..should I stay with the same cable in the link or do you know of an alternative..cheers :)

I don't think there is much difference in the quality (if any) to warrant paying that much more than the official cable.
    http://play.com/Games/Xbox360/CART/3-/719756/-/Product.html?cur=258
    Granted play.com won't ship it to Ireland, but its only €27 so I'm sure you can get it somewhere else for a similar price and then buy the optical cable for €10 like Jambo says. Indeed I got mine for about 6 or 7 euro off ebay.
    That cable will also work with both HD and non HD tvs.

mcgovern wrote:
    I don't think there is much difference in the quality (if any) to warrant paying that much more than the official cable.

Cheers for the advice on this :) I don't have the LCD yet so in the meantime I managed to get this Scart with the same digital connection to use for now, and it only cost a fraction of the price AND they deliver to Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

We sell the Pioneer HTP-GS1.

It's a 600W 5.1 Surround Sound speaker system that has been specifically designed for the Xbox 360. It has a radio tuner too, 2 optical cable connections (one for your 360, one for your hi-fi), and the remote can navigate around the 360 interface. They sound great.

We have a demo speaker system set up in the shop in the centre for you to try before you buy. It costs €399.95, and we can get them in for you in a day or two to collect from us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steplast

I've just bought one of these from ebay. Came with no instructions. How do you connect it to a TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

Thanks for all the feedback. Got the Yamaha AV59 package but it took time to arrive (MadDogGreener also suggested it). Great sound plus plenty of connections for DVD player and TV. I'm sorry I didn't see MadDogGreeners post before I ordered it re: Power City, where it is €379. I'm outside Dublin, but it would have being worth my while travelling for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

jamiemc wrote:
    We sell the Pioneer HTP-GS1.

It's a 600W 5.1 Surround Sound speaker system that has been specifically designed for the Xbox 360. It has a radio tuner too, 2 optical cable connections (one for your 360, one for your hi-fi), and the remote can navigate around the 360 interface. They sound great.

We have a demo speaker system set up in the shop in the centre for you to try before you buy. It costs €399.95, and we can get them in for you in a day or two to collect from us.

I can get it for €260. :D

• Advertisement

Just wondering if the LOGITECH Z-5450 5.1 speakers suit the following:

I have the xBox360 in the sitting room at home (14' x 11') connected to a 31 inch Sony..would these speakers work well in this size room?

LOGITECH 5.1 Speakersystem Z-5400

I got the 5400 instead because it's easier to wire the two rear speakers than have to fit two new wall sockets to plug in the "wireless" ones on the 5450..

The 5400 arrived in the post last week and all I can say is "OH MY GOD THE BASS. THE BASS. THE BASS."

I am genuinely astonished at how clear the bass is, I just cannot get over it considering the system costs less than €200..I've heard more than one system that cost twice as much but didn't have a bass as good as this one..I don't know how they've managed it but it's the clearest most undistorted bass sound I've ever heard, no matter how loud you turn it up...

I just got the scart/digital toslink cable for the xbox360 this morning and I have it connected to the Logitech system now, but even before that it was still unbelievable with just the normal L/R stereo connection..

Thanks to everyone who recommended this system, best tech purchase I've made in about the last 5 years, cannot recommend this system enough to anyone looking for 5.1 :D

LOGITECH 5.1 Speakersystem Z-5400

Advertisement