Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a "wired" home network?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I read through the sticky and stuf I looked at was too complicated for me! :D

Heres the story, my brother got a laptop awhile ago! So I went and bought a router and cables so we both could have broadband in the house. Set that up fine and its been working ever since! Now he has the printer and also on his laptop a dvd burner! Two things which I use quite often on his!

The way I did it was put anything I wanted to be burned on his i-pod then put them on his laptop and burned them from there...

Im guessing if I set up a network I wont have to use the i-pod and it will be much quicker sending files also I could just send files from my pc to the printer connected to his laptop!?

My question is how exactly do I do it?
    Will it slow down the internet coming in by any amount?
    All I need is the router and cables to set it up?

You may be thinking why doesnt he ask google? Well I want it short and sweet most tutorials are pages long lol :D

Thanks for replies!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Its actually quite complicated,

you need to right click on your brothers dvd drive and the click "i want to share this folder", its the same for folders ect ect....:D

then to access his stuff click run then type \\hiscomputersname
    id recomend change your bros computer name to his actual name, you just goto systems properties and then its under the computer name tab so you can type \\david for example and then his shares wil be ready to go, your broadband connection if its a standard one is problaby half a megabyte, your lan connection is 100 so wont slow anything down

Advertisement