Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the USA - Models in Demand??

Options
  • 08-01-2007 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi there

I'm Irish and will move back to Ireland in May after living stateside for 13 months. I'd consider importing a vehicle for resale and using my one years US residence as a way to avoid VRT etc. With a change of residence this is legal.

I have to have owned the vehicle for 6 months and I'm not supposed to sell it for a year after import, but apart from that it should be straightforward.

Are there any particular models that would be in demand in Ireland? Cars are very cheap here - but a lot are petrol models with big engine ; and of course there's the LHD issue.
    :)
    Thanks
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi there

I'm Irish and will move back to Ireland in May after living stateside for 13 months. I'd consider importing a vehicle for resale and using my one years US residence as a way to avoid VRT etc. With a change of residence this is legal.

I have to have owned the vehicle for 6 months and I'm not supposed to sell it for a year after import, but apart from that it should be straightforward.
    How will you have owned the car for 6 months if you haven't yet bought it and are coming back in May? There is no way around this requirement, other than delaying your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

As you're not bringing the car in from the EU, you'll also be stung for VAT....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

conor_mc wrote:
    As you're not bringing the car in from the EU, you'll also be stung for VAT....

And import duty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MichelRichmont

:rolleyes: You're both wrong about that - for a change of residence VAT and VRT are not applicable for personal effects.

I'll be back in May but may not change residence for official purposes til later...........................so back to my main point - what models of US cars if any would be attractive to Irish buyers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

4x4s are much more popular here now, according to a recent report. It's not unusual to see a Ram around Dublin here and there.

There is the problem that most American cars are perceived as being ****. If however, you can find a 1967 Lincoln Continental in black, 4 doors, I would consider buying it off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

:rolleyes: You're both wrong about that - for a change of residence VAT and VRT are not applicable for personal effects

I stand corrected. I assumed it only applied to people previously resident in other EU countries. I was wrong

See this and this

As to your initial question, OP, I'd guess you could make a good bit of money on a Porsche 911

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Whatever you bring in will have limited demand no matter what it is if it's LHD....insurers load them because you can't see when overtaking etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is also the small matter of conversion to European standards.

(different headlamps, separate yellow indicators and probably a multitude of other things)

You as the seller might get away with it (or not, depending how awake the person at the VRO is), the buyer will get stung at the NCT the latest.

As for models ...I'd say a nice Mustang might also find a buyer ...or at the other end of the scale: an old VW "Hippie van" ...possibly with the split front window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'd love a nice 74 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (with LPG of course, I dont think an 8.4L engine would be good in these times!). You would probably have more luck with a classic as the buyer wouldnt have to worry about the NCT etc. I'm not sure its as much of a problem as others have said, as I've seen LHD cars for sale in dealers around the place. Are flashing tail-lights not allowed as indicators even if they are original?

@peasant: Those Mark I VW Bus's are class but unfortunately no matter where you get them now you'll pay up to 30k coz of their rarity.

:rolleyes: You're both wrong about that - for a change of residence VAT and VRT are not applicable for personal effects.

I'll be back in May but may not change residence for official purposes til later...........................so back to my main point - what models of US cars if any would be attractive to Irish buyers??
    You're not listening. If you come back in May then you won't be able to prove that you were resident in the US after May. If you can't prove that then you will be liable for VAT and VRT. Customs here may be many things, but they are not stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

the indicators are easy you just put orange bulbs in the reversing lights. and do some rewiring and you're grand, there's no testing requirment for the reversing lights

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd say a classic car would be your best bet, as it seems LHD/RHD isn't a huge concern for a lot of people looking for them. If it doesn't have to go through the NCT, then I'd assume the different lights etc wouldn't be as big an issue. The classic tax (€50?) might make the engine size less of a factor to consider.

I would think it wouldn't be impossible to have the date of purchase back-dated either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I'd like an old Opel GT or a Corvette Stingray. Can't afford either unfortantly. :(

The lightning thing for the NCT isn't really that big of a deal, as the previous poster said, just do some re-wiring jobs on the rear lights, and that's it. As for the amber/red sidelights that are seen on US-spec cars, as far as I know, they don't need to be removed for the NCT, but I could be wrong on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MichelRichmont

Thanks guys for your hints - I agree about a classic - and with these types of deals it would be possible to backdate a sale - there are ways around these things! I think Ireland must be one of the most rule-bound countries in this regard, especially when it comes to cars.

Anyway, I'l post here again if I actually go through with this.

Thanks
    Michel
    :D

and with these types of deals it would be possible to backdate a sale - there are ways around these things!
    eoin_s wrote:
    I would think it wouldn't be impossible to have the date of purchase back-dated either?

How do you propose to 'backdate' the date of transfer of ownership on the registration certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks guys for your hints - I agree about a classic - and with these types of deals it would be possible to backdate a sale - there are ways around these things! I think Ireland must be one of the most rule-bound countries in this regard, especially when it comes to cars.

Anyway, I'l post here again if I actually go through with this.

Thanks
    Michel
    :D

You have to prove that you have owned and used the vehicle for at least 6 months. That means pink slip (with mileage), proof of insurance, current mileage etc. It isn't as easy to fool Revenue as you seem to think.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

They want a lot of other paperwork also proving you lived there and intend on staying here. Everything needs to be perfect or they will just refuse it and start charging you storage until you satisfy their requirements. Just happened me (but not with a car). Don't expect it to be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

has to be a classic car as modern US Boats do not make sense overhere.
    if you get away with vrt you wil have to keep the car/s for next 12 months when in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

esel wrote:
    You have to prove that you have owned and used the vehicle for at least 6 months. That means pink slip (with mileage), proof of insurance, current mileage etc. It isn't as easy to fool Revenue as you seem to think.

I took my car back from the uk.
    You dont need to show mileage slips, but what u need to show is first that u resided in the US, whilst you owned the car. Bank statements, Pay slips are a must. IF you are over there as a student, you cant avoid VRT. You need to be resident paying tax . As far as i know, you then have 6 months after u move over here to bring the car in. If you meet a nice dealer, he can back date the change of ownership, but if there were any traffic offences against the car in that prevous time, then you would be liable. Key is to dump as much paper work at them as u can. valid of course. Rent receipts as well very important.

tred wrote:
    If you meet a nice dealer, he can back date the change of ownership,
    The car has to have been registered to you for the 6 months. No dealer can backdate a registration certificate. On top of this, you can't backdate insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement